Personality Cafe banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Emperor
8,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've taken a few enneagram tests, but I've never completely gotten into the system and investigated it.
Results have usually been of the following:
  • 1w9
  • 8w9
  • 5w6
  • 5w4

Some of my acquaintances have also suggested I could be a 3w4.

[NOTE: THIS IS A WIP AND SOME REPLIES MAY BE EDITED WITHIN THE NEXT HOUR OR SO]

1. What drives you in life? What do you look for?
A desire to learn and for success. I want to be able to study whatever I want freely without the stress of modern life, but I also want to be able to succeed in my dreams of becoming a sort of self-taught (or professionally taught) historian/classicist after I secure a stable job, perhaps even switching from era to era as my interest takes me. I'm not particularly concerned with being popular or being very liked, but I enjoy having an amount of respect from most people and do enjoy a fair amount of prestige.

2. What do you hope to accomplish in your life?
I hope to become a successful human being more capable of self-improvement and be more able to keep in touch with reality. Sometimes I feel like I'm caught up in dreaming about what I want to do or what I've learned, and then reality hits me. I want to be able to develop myself where I'm weakest and write books.

3. What do you hope to avoid doing or being? What values are important to you?
I hope to avoid becoming someone who's stuck with doing menial tasks with absolutely no variety. I'm not a person who would like a wildly inconsistent job, but I enjoy having a bit of variety here and there. I also don't want to become a person who can't function in social situations. I am a bit afraid of simply being unable to properly understand other people.

4. What are your biggest fears (not including phobias)? Why?
Simply failing in life and being unable to succeed. I fear that if I don't make a fair amount of money to keep myself afloat by myself, I'll end up spiraling downwards into being poor or unmotivated.

5. How do you want others to see you? How do you see yourself?
I want others to see me as someone they can approach for advice, consolation, and as someone that can make the correct decision decisively. I see myself as being part of that, but also someone who enjoys being a bit loud when close friends are near. I can usually make the right call when necessary, but people don't feel comfortable coming to me for advice.

6. What makes you feel your best? What makes you feel your worst?
Being able to laugh, learn, and succeed. Every now and then, being in debates can be fun for me. What makes me feel my worst is when my long-standing viewpoint on a subject is challenged and has the possibility to be false. More often than not, it'll just have been a bout of neuroticism and I come back to the original viewpoint, but it makes me feel terrible nonetheless.

7. Describe how you experience each of: a) anger; b) shame; c) anxiety.
a) I'm rarely ever incredibly angry. It's usually just short bursts of annoyance, but it never sticks with me long. It'll usually blow over within the next day.
b) It's something I'll reflect on. I usually don't experience it very often, but when I do experience it I like to make it up to people or work on what I'm ashamed of.
c) It's something I experience fairly often, especially when I'm thinking of future plans. It'll be something that's gnawing at my insides, and I'll try to distract myself however I can to get away from the problem so that I can deal with it when I'm more calm.

8. Describe how you respond to each of: a) stress; b) unexpected change; c) conflict.
a) I'll bite my nails more often than not and try to put myself elsewhere in my mind. It's pretty similar to anxiety but with a lot more reflection over the situation and rationalization about how I can deal with it.
b) It's usually pretty fine for me. I'll just ask what's changed and try to adapt accordingly. It's not something that particularly stresses me out or causes me joy. (Though cancelling plans can be like heroin.)
c) More often than not, I'll be the one who initiated conflict if it's with conflicting viewpoints. I'm not afraid to debate most people in person, but when it comes to conflict between two other people I'll typically try to get them to stop or simply shy away from the situation.

9. Describe your orientation to: a) authority; b) power. How do you respond to these?
a) I'm pretty sensitive to whether or not I have authority in a group and how to gain it. I enjoy having it, but I don't like being sought out for every single decision/pointer or having to restate information constantly. I don't respond very well to people's authority over me, and more often than not, I'll be suggesting what I view as better ideas for objectives or orders.
b) Power, for me, is control. It's an ability to manipulate the situation to serve your interests as necessary. Having power can be an interesting experience, but I am also fearful of some people being unable to handle it very well. A quote I love in reference to this is, "If we do not rule, we are in danger of being ruled ourselves."

10. What is your overall outlook on life and humanity?
Life is a game to me. It's an interesting one, and it only has the meaning you give it, but it is still precious. One thing people need to remember is just to "keep on keepin' on" and they will find success. It's a rollercoaster with ups and downs, but it's better than a flat ride with no highs at all.

Humanity is a self-destructive, but generally successful and improving race. To me, it seems, it's a game of self-preservation with a few hints of "for the greater good" throughout that keeps civilization and humanity afloat. I'm not particularly misanthropic, though I don't trust people to hold power very often.

11. Discuss an event that has impacted your life significantly; more importantly, how you responded to it.
Once during a Christmas family reunion, I was sitting with a few members of my extended family, and I think my father, and there was nothing being said. So, I mentioned the concept of the Myers-Briggs system and if they were familiar with it. My Uncle, probably an ENTJ, began to give an incredibly motivational speech talking about things like "I can't do math better than the next guy? That makes you feel like shit. This is good because it lets people know where their skills are." (General sum up, not verbatim.) I responded to it by reflecting on both the ability to capture an audience and the message of what his "speech" was.

12. Comment on your relationship with trust.
I heavily value loyalty, but I only give it to a few close friends. It's not that I'm particularly skeptical, I just want to place a higher amount of value on closer relationships. I am prone to a fair amount of self-doubt, but it never lasts particularly long.

13. List some of the traits you: a) like; b) dislike most about yourself.
a) Curiosity, open-mindedness (if I'm not decided on something), [attempts at] diplomacy, determination, the ability to dream big.
b) Arrogance, occasional blunt nature, sometimes smug attitude, self-doubt, stubbornness if decided.

14. What do you see or notice in others that most people don't?
Potential, often times motives, malicious intent, occasionally small habits, and the ability to do well in certain situations.

15. If a stranger insults you, how do you respond/feel? What if they compliment you?
It doesn't particularly matter as much to me. If it's just the usual "Fuck you, bitch" there's next to no reaction out of me. Now if it particularly insults a habit of mine specifically, I might feel a bit stung. If they compliment me, it'll usually put a grin on my face, but I'm not very interested in speaking to strangers.

16. What's something you are: a) thankful you have; b) wish you could have? Why?
I'm thankful for a comfortable life due to the high-paying job of my father, a family that actually loves and cares about me, the opportunity to learn whatever I please, and to live in a 1st world country.

I wish I could have more time to spend to read the books I enjoy, learn more about history, spend more time with my family, and become more well-versed in many subjects.

·
Emperor
8,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bump.

It's been a while and I've learned more about the enneagram types, but I'd still like to see an analysis.

·
Registered
230 Posts
You seem like a 5, probably a 5w6. I do see strong 3 and 8 in your posts as well (don't see any evidence of a 4 wing though). You identify most with the core emotion of fear/anxiety, rather than anger or shame, and you react to stress by rationalizing the problem, which is indicative of head types. I think to decide between 5 and 3, you should reflect on why you are motivated by success, since both types can desire competency and be achievement-oriented. Do you want success because you fear that you are worthless as a person unless you are successful (type 3), or because you see success as a way to have control over your life (type 5)? You don't seem strongly affected by what

·
Registered
230 Posts
Any type can be motivated by improvement , especially if they beleong to the competency triad (1, 3, and 5). What distinguishes someone as a 3 is that their desire for improvement comes from their inner sense of shame. They fear that they are worthless and therefore try recieve love, admiration, and itattention through their accomplishments. So I'm not saying this person isn't a 3, just that being focused on improvement isn't unique to 3s.

·
Registered
10 Posts
You seem like a pretty strong 5w6 to me, maybe even 6w5 though that seems more unlikely. I do see elements of 3 and 8 here and there but 5 looks the strongest

1 - 6 of 6 Posts