Personality Cafe banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello 4s :kitteh:

When I mistyped at 6 I went to that sub-forum and asked 6s to tell me about how they experience 6-ness in their own words (as relying on sources written by people of various types distorted my view somewhat).

So, as I mistyped at 4 for sometime, I am here to do the same! I would really like to understand where I went wrong and I think the best way to do so is by asking 4s directly about "4ness" (for lack of a better term!)

Please feel free to talk about what this point on the Enneagram means to you. Perhaps there are misconceptions you would like to discuss, or aspects that you feel are misunderstood.

I realise there is not much structure to this thread but it's something that I wanted to do, so, here it is.

Note: The focus of this thread isn't about arguing which interpretation of "4ness" is right/wrong, although I appreciate that this is a huge factor. This is a place for people to express themselves. Please be respectful of one other, even if you are in disagreement (having a difference of opinion is OKAY people).

and if you don't I'll kick your ass. :p

·
Registered
Enneagram 3w4 ENTJ
59 Posts
@Kintsugi For me, the enneagram is all about motivation. What motivates you?

I used to think I was a 9w8 because I am mostly easy going but can be very aggressive if certain needs aren't met (like respect! Lol)

But I *hated* the 9 description. Peace is not what motivates me.

What motivates me is, for lack of a better term, extraordinariness. I can get myself to do most anything constructive by connecting it to being and being seen as extraordinary. I love the recognition of being set apart from others by whatever means necessary.

Some other 4s like special or unique or whatever, but those terms don't get me going as much as extraordinary or exceptional or distinguished or exemplary, etc.

I'm not motivated by success like a 3 (although being really successful is extraordinary, but a different quality of motivation and result).

I'm not motivated by extreme autonomy like an 8 or by being perceived as helpful and self sacrificing like a 2.

(Please know these are vast generalizations!)

So that's pretty much the extent of it. Enneagram is about motivation for me, for the most part, and what motivates me as a 4 is being and being seen as extraordinary. :D

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I appreciate your thoughts.

What motivates me is beside the point (in relation to type 4).

I guess, I wanted to understand things from a 4 perspective in the same way that I had to immerse myself in my best friend's culture in order to understand her (She is Nigerian and I am from the UK).

Similarly, as a trainee therapist I am partially influenced by narrative therapy. What is interesting is that the most reliable method we have of diagnosing certain "disorders" is through analysis of how coherent their personal narrative is. For instance, a disjointed narrative indicates trauma in that this often leads to dissociative "splits" of the personality. It tells us something both about the subjective experience of the person, but also the objective functioning of the human brain (how dissociation "splitting" is a survival extinct, from an evolutionary biological perspective).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts