Personality Cafe banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE UPDATED MODEL

I have developed a theory in my mind that there are 4 types of INFP, each linked to one of the letters.

Obviously all INFPs share a lot of these traits, but some are more exaggerated in the different types.

1 INFP - Introspective, individualistic, reserved, intense, deep artistic, independent
Can be reclusive, selfish, unstable, pessimistic
Close to INFJ
Correlation with enneagram 4 and 3 and sx/sp varient
Correlation with RLxEx
Coleration to Melancholic

2 INFP - Intellectual, contemplative, perfectionist, honest, complex, thoughtful, energetic
Can be cynical, tactless, unreliable, cold
Close to INTP
Correlation with enneagram 5 and 1 and sp/sx varient
Correlation with xCOxI
Correlation to Choleric

3 INFP - Charismatic, selfless, inspiring, expressive, social, helpful, relaxed, quirky
Can be attention -seeking, manipulative, melodramatic, loud
Close to ENFP
Correlation with enneagram 2 and 6 and so/sx varient
Correlation with SxxAN
Correlation to Sanguine

4 INFP - Easygoing, gentle, light hearted, relaxed, spontaneous, enthusiastic, positive
Can be naive, unfocused, lazy, disorganised
Close to ISFP
Correlation to enneagram 9 and 7 and sp/so varient
Correlation to xCUAx
Correlation to Phlegmatic

I think that INFP and INFP are most common then INFP if more rare and then INFP is rarest (just guessing)

Also I didn't know where to put 8, sorry

Please let me know your thoughts so far, as I will probably continue to work on it

Just so you know I'm INFP, so sorry for any bias or whatever it wasn't intentional :)

·
Registered
7,779 Posts
In your theory, is it possible for a person to be more than one subtype? Because I relate to two.

Whenever I take tests (including when I took the official one), my most marked preferences are Intuition and Introversion.

I can relate to many of the qualities listed for both the I-type and the N-type. I am a type 5w4. My tritype might be 541. Sometimes my behavior is more INTP or INFJ, and they seem to be the types I form the strongest bonds with. RxUAI. Probably Melancholc.

1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In your theory, is it possible for a person to be more than one subtype? Because I relate to two.

Whenever I take tests (including when I took the official one), my most marked preferences are Intuition and Introversion.

I can relate to many of the qualities listed for both the I-type and the N-type. I am a type 5w4. My tritype might be 541. Sometimes my behavior is more INTP or INFJ, and they seem to be the types I form the strongest bonds with. RxUAI. Probably Melancholc.
Yeah you do sound very much in the middle, if maybe a little more to the introverted subtype.

But yeah sure go ahead and mix them together :D
You can be an INFP!

1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

I suppose archetypally the INFP would be like a lonely artist (eg Van Gogh) wheras the INFP would be a mad scientist (eg Einstein), dno if that would separate them for you?

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Pardon me for my ignorance in advance but something I'm unclear of is since you have certain cognitive functions highlighted in each category, is this implying, for example, one INFP has a more dominant Fi over another? Is this how you're deriving these characteristics?

At a glance, it seems like it has more to do with which instinctual subtype an INFP identifies with that affects the characteristics rather than some cognitive function being more dominating. Basically, I think the four cognitive functions within a MBTI type work together in a fashion that doesn't necessarily overshadow so much that it influences these characteristics; it has more to do with the instinctual subtypes.

Granted, you seem more versed in this than I, and I'm just typing this stuff out for clarification rather than offering a challenging opinion.

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
Interesting. It works perfeclty for me. I always score high on IN, but usually very low on F (or I even score T), and P can vary with tests; although I tend to get a solid P score, I occasionally test J.

I am also 4w5 sp/sx, RLUEI and inquisitive, although close to being limbic.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
This is a great idea. It is quite possible that depending on which dichotomies you score the highest on you will have more defined traits. One might, however, argue that these traits would be the same almost independent of the whole type. For instance if an INFP and ESTP both had a very high P score, they would be easygoing, lazy and disorganized, and so the entire type wouldn't be interesting in that respect.
But if you're right and a high P-score would do something something that was dependent on type, like making an INFP a 7 or 9, it would be truly fascinating!

I can't type myself from this, however. I think... INFP?

1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is a great idea. It is quite possible that depending on which dichotomies you score the highest on you will have more defined traits. One might, however, argue that these traits would be the same almost independent of the whole type. For instance if an INFP and ESTP both had a very high P score, they would be easygoing, lazy and disorganized, and so the entire type wouldn't be interesting in that respect.
But if you're right and a high P-score would do something something that was dependent on type, like making an INFP a 7 or 9, it would be truly fascinating!

I can't type myself from this, however. I think... INFP?
Yeah you may be right on that, but is an ESTP with a high score in P really going to be that easygoing and gentle and naive sometimes? Does an ESTP 9 even exist lol? They are still specifically describing INFPs imo. For instnace I think an INTJ wouldn't be melancholy and deep and artistic. And an ESFP wouldn't be selfless, inspiring and quirky. But you are right I should make sure to make everything completely INFP specific.

To be honest the reason I did this was to try and get people to be aware that INFPs vary so much. Sometimes I see descriptions of INfPs and they'll say how quirky and passionate and expressive they are and as an INFP, thats really nothing like me but I can see how that totally fits other INFPs. SoI guess I want to find if it is just enneagram or a bunch of factors

·
Registered
7,779 Posts
Yeah you do sound very much in the middle, if maybe a little more to the introverted subtype.

But yeah sure go ahead and mix them together :D
You can be an INFP!
I think I relate a little more to the N actually. The I behavior seems to dominate when I am depressed. But IN seems most accurate :)

1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Pardon me for my ignorance in advance but something I'm unclear of is since you have certain cognitive functions highlighted in each category, is this implying, for example, one INFP has a more dominant Fi over another? Is this how you're deriving these characteristics?

At a glance, it seems like it has more to do with which instinctual subtype an INFP identifies with that affects the characteristics rather than some cognitive function being more dominating. Basically, I think the four cognitive functions within a MBTI type work together in a fashion that doesn't necessarily overshadow so much that it influences these characteristics; it has more to do with the instinctual subtypes.

Granted, you seem more versed in this than I, and I'm just typing this stuff out for clarification rather than offering a challenging opinion.
Think of it more of descriptions I made and then linked them to the dichotomies.

If you'd asked me to create four types of INFPs without linking them to the letters, I would still say there's a melancholy type, intellectual type, charismatic type and easygoing type

Perhaps I could link them to the functions just now

INFP - Fi
INFP - Te
INFP - Ne
INFP - Si

·
Registered
INFP | 5w4 | 548 tritype | Asserive
552 Posts
I relate with two. I'm a 5w4 INFP. I think your descriptions of this types are quite accurate. i think my most remarkable characteristics are Intellectual, honest, complex, thoughtful but also cynical and cold. I'm not veeery energetic or perfectionist. Just a little bit.

·
Registered
26 Posts
That's really interesting. I'm a 5w4 INFP and with your theory I would most likely find myself somewhere between INFP and INFP for sometimes when I don't test as INFP I do test as either INFJ or INTP but that could also be very dependent on situational influences and my general mood.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
I am type 1.

I like your theory @pearslug

1 - 19 of 19 Posts