Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like input about the 479 tritype. I think this is most probably my tritype, I'm just not sure about the "gentle spirit" and "healer" description that goes with it. This is what I have found from the limited information you can find for free on-line.

What would you say is the "blind spot" and "edge of growth" for this tritype?

It's also described as "triple imaginative". How would you interpret this? I am thinking - that when this type wants to check out of reality it can do this very well?

Assuming I'm correct about my tritype, my order is 7-9-4. Of the three variations of this "gentle spirit/healer" tritype, the 7 in charge will probably be the one with the hardest edge, the most outspoken and least withdrawn.

The life mission is apparently truly a healer. That they have (I quote): "a healing presence on others whether or not they intend to so when she says healer this is what she means as opposed to being vocationally attracted to the healing arts (although this is very common with this tritype)."

These three types also apparently are the three that each desire transformation.

The only way I can think this might manifest in my life is that I do have a pattern of close friendships where the other person has benefited from my support and views through certain problems and then when they got better and happier, when they had "healed", I had the impression they lost interest in me as a friend.

Or blind issues in another person that impact my life negatively somehow get pushed into the light through the natural kinds of interactions or conflicts that come up, they cannot be ignored, and I have the impression that I am dragging the other person up through the mud. It's not even something I necessarily want or intend to do. But it becomes inevitable. And it seems to come down to me somehow to drag it up. It is exhausting, but it does result in transformational change. Things are never the same again.

I would be interested to hear how others of this tritype see the "healer", "gentle spirit" and "transformation" themes manifest in their lives.

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
I would take those descriptions with a grain of salt. The Fauvres' description the 479 as the "gentle spirit" is very misleading, I think. In my experience, neither 4, 7 nor 9 are particularly "gentle" types.

You being a dominant 7, I would sooner describe your tritype as being a "withdrawn" 7, since the two supplementary types in your tritype are 4 and 9, both withdrawn on the Hornevian triad.

Oh, and did you see my thread about tritypes? I'm not sure if that's where you got your information.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Well, I'm a 9-7-4, and understand where you're coming from. I have a very heavy 8 wing, which leads me to being a bit more rough and tumble. At the core I'm a caring person (as long as I'm not apathetic) - but I feel like tough love is a beneficial approach. That launches with a fury when people are being melodramatic or very negative/whiny over long durations. And strangely people still come to me with their problems.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
I am a 4-6-9, but I believe I was very close to a 9-4-7 (INFJ) in the past. Grain of salt in case I'm mistaken. She was easily more daring than I, while I was more interested in life-answers for my realism. The daring aspect of her did desire transformation. Our indepth conversations always led to renewal and becoming wiser and strong. She had trouble pinpointing just how to transform and she preferred to give rather than receive, even when it pertained to receiving emotional assistance. She was quite involved with wanting to change the world for the better. She wasn't very healthy, but she did her best to help me. It was more in her nurturing presence than her words that I was helped (I had trouble understanding her way of encouraging me). If you would meet her she would seem just like a mature, yet hearty child. Where I was ashamed and curious, she was quiet majesty, and keen.

Her blind spot...she seemed to lose sight of helping issues one issue at a time. She'd bear a lot and lose focus. She'd look for the "I helped someone" feeling, then lose me in her quest for it.

Growing edge: She was fantastic at appearing/being lively and connected. It's attractive. It was that energy of her's that helped me most. We both had growing to do. If she had used her penchant for involving herself in helping others to secure her ailing heart and mind from being swayed so majorly, I think she would've blossomed sooner and better. That's my amateur synopsis. I do believe she fits 4-7-9 well. Better than 2-7-9. for sure.

·
Banned
3,145 Posts
I would take those descriptions with a grain of salt. The Fauvres' description the 479 as the "gentle spirit" is very misleading, I think. In my experience, neither 4, 7 nor 9 are particularly "gentle" types.

You being a dominant 7, I would sooner describe your tritype as being a "withdrawn" 7, since the two supplementary types in your tritype are 4 and 9, both withdrawn on the Hornevian triad.

Oh, and did you see my thread about tritypes? I'm not sure if that's where you got your information.
why do you think Fauvre would call 479 tritype "gentle spirit"?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I saw the information duplicated in various places across the internet. I think I did see your thread at some point in my search but haven't read all of it.

Yes, you could call me a withdrawn 7. I thought I was a 5 for years because I didn't identify with stereotypical descriptions of 7s. It was only when it was pointed out to me by another person that I didn't seem like a 5 that I thought about things differently and it clicked that I am a 7. Tritype has clarified a lot of the confusion since then.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I'm a 9-7-4, and understand where you're coming from. I have a very heavy 8 wing, which leads me to being a bit more rough and tumble. At the core I'm a caring person (as long as I'm not apathetic) - but I feel like tough love is a beneficial approach. That launches with a fury when people are being melodramatic or very negative/whiny over long durations. And strangely people still come to me with their problems.
It's interesting that you call it "tough love", because you are a 9w8. It sounds more giving that way. Since I am a 7, and hence selfish and self-centred, as they say, I find the transformation/healing issue manifests very strongly in a proactive approach to self-transformation and evolution. I cannot stay the same. I must evolve constantly, I put a lot of energy and thought into it. What I think then happens is that this energy spills out into my environment and onto other people, but it is not other people that I am consciously focusing on to change.

I was asking someone about this, if they see the 479 archetype playing out in me and how, and they said, yes, totally. That it is not even that I am trying to change anything, that it is like a natural energy I bring that makes other people feel more aware in themselves about what is wrong with them or their situation. Some people are ok with exploring these things and being in that kind of energy but obviously others are not.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am a 4-6-9, but I believe I was very close to a 9-4-7 (INFJ) in the past. Grain of salt in case I'm mistaken. She was easily more daring than I, while I was more interested in life-answers for my realism. The daring aspect of her did desire transformation. Our indepth conversations always led to renewal and becoming wiser and strong. She had trouble pinpointing just how to transform and she preferred to give rather than receive, even when it pertained to receiving emotional assistance. She was quite involved with wanting to change the world for the better. She wasn't very healthy, but she did her best to help me. It was more in her nurturing presence than her words that I was helped (I had trouble understanding her way of encouraging me). If you would meet her she would seem just like a mature, yet hearty child. Where I was ashamed and curious, she was quiet majesty, and keen.

Her blind spot...she seemed to lose sight of helping issues one issue at a time. She'd bear a lot and lose focus. She'd look for the "I helped someone" feeling, then lose me in her quest for it.

Growing edge: She was fantastic at appearing/being lively and connected. It's attractive. It was that energy of her's that helped me most. We both had growing to do. If she had used her penchant for involving herself in helping others to secure her ailing heart and mind from being swayed so majorly, I think she would've blossomed sooner and better. That's my amateur synopsis. I do believe she fits 4-7-9 well. Better than 2-7-9. for sure.
Thanks for sharing that. It's very interesting. An INFJ I know similarly desires to help people in a similar way. As I mentioned above, with 7 dominant I tend mostly to focus on "helping" and "healing" myself, although I do also like to help others but it is more of a secondary desire. While those very closely connected to me and to my life seem to be pushed to transformation in order to remain in harmony with me, and if they value their relationship with me, they do undertake to transform. Otherwise the relationship dies off. I think an INFJ would be more committed than I would be to an interpersonal, one-on-one mentoring role such as you seem to be describing.

Thank you to everyone in this thread for all the input. I am trying to understand this tritype better and hearing others' experience really helps to put my own into perspective.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Maybe that's how the tritype comes across to others, at least superficially? I am soft and quiet spoken, I am not comfortable with confrontation unless it is in my romantic relationship. I think I look fragile to others. It's not unusual that others react to me like they want to take care of me and give me things I didn't even ask for. I try to be kind to animals, that sort of thing. I'm sensitive and easily hurt. I hate it when people are bad-tempered and crude and spill out their negativity for no good reason without considering how this affects the atmosphere and other people's feelings. None of this is to say I don't have my hard, strong side, but the soft side is probably more apparent in first impressions.

What about other 479s? Would you say you come across as having a gentle image? And non-479s - would you say this about 479s you know?

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
I would assume that, at their best, these types could be perceived as "gentle", as Sign of the Times described. But it is rare for someone to reach the Level 1 in Levels of Development. I have reached Level 3 at the most, and I am a reasonably well-balanced person. (I think I'm at 4 or 5 right now). Also, I think they greatly exaggerated those traits, making the leap from "positive" and "gentle" to "healer" and "magical fairy." I would give them slack for poetic license if this were a creative writing class, but these are psychological descriptions, and I happen to be skeptical, non-magical, non-"gentle" 9.

Reactions: LotusBlossom

·
Banned
3,145 Posts
I would assume that, at their best, these types could be perceived as "gentle", as Sign of the Times described. But it is rare for someone to reach the Level 1 in Levels of Development. I have reached Level 3 at the most, and I am a reasonably well-balanced person. (I think I'm at 4 or 5 right now). Also, I think they greatly exaggerated those traits, making the leap from "positive" and "gentle" to "healer" and "magical fairy." I would give them slack for poetic license if this were a creative writing class, but these are psychological descriptions, and I happen to be skeptical, non-magical, non-"gentle" 9.
I read somewhere that 9s are the most diverse type second only to 6, so this is not surprising.

·
Registered
227 Posts
...And strangely people still come to me with their problems.
Wow, I really really feel that. Do you guys experience that having seven and four together finds us doing a lot of DIGGING-- like, there's a little bit of an obsession with depth? (And, I guess not just depth, but always digging deeper??)
Last year, every time one of my friends made strides growing mentally or artistically but felt herself slipping back (even for a moment!) she'd get locked in to completely stagnant melodrama for weeks. I was completely impatient with her and myself. All I wanted was to dig deeper into her psychology so I could find a seamless way of transfering some of my ambition to her. I'd get frustrated and distant and pull out the really cruel, stubborn 9w1 silence, knowing she'd want me to speak again eventually. (Or, worse-- I'd get angry and be unaware of how intense it was.) She is a four and I could feel her writhing under my disaproval. But, she always came back.

With me, I'm pretty sure when the nine gut instinct kicks in as an enforcer, my 47 boundary pushing tendency manifests itself as sort of soft-glow, pencil-sketch, non-intrusive kind of action. It's not that there isn't an intensity there, or any depth. While I see myself has having a strong grasp of subtlelty, it's not something I advertise. I know the moment when someome I meet finds it-- you can see them drawing it towards them and claiming it for themselves. They get really attached, and even when I'm impatient, I'm still the one who 'truly understands' them. It's completely irrevocable, and strangely really painful. I feel like my self is being stolen, but I let it happen over and over. Any similar experiences out there?

Also, I personally feel 'gentle spirit' or 'healer' is a pretty good name for this tritype. And, all our representative 479s here have blue/ purple photos :]

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
Wow, I really really feel that. Do you guys experience that having seven and four together finds us doing a lot of DIGGING-- like, there's a little bit of an obsession with depth? (And, I guess not just depth, but always digging deeper??)
Last year, every time one of my friends made strides growing mentally or artistically but felt herself slipping back (even for a moment!) she'd get locked in to completely stagnant melodrama for weeks. I was completely impatient with her and myself. All I wanted was to dig deeper into her psychology so I could find a seamless way of transfering some of my ambition to her. I'd get frustrated and distant and pull out the really cruel, stubborn 9w1 silence, knowing she'd want me to speak again eventually. (Or, worse-- I'd get angry and be unaware of how intense it was.) She is a four and I could feel her writhing under my disaproval. But, she always came back.

With me, I'm pretty sure when the nine gut instinct kicks in as an enforcer, my 47 boundary pushing tendency manifests itself as sort of soft-glow, pencil-sketch, non-intrusive kind of action. It's not that there isn't an intensity there, or any depth. While I see myself has having a strong grasp of subtlelty, it's not something I advertise. I know the moment when someome I meet finds it-- you can see them drawing it towards them and claiming it for themselves. They get really attached, and even when I'm impatient, I'm still the one who 'truly understands' them. It's completely irrevocable, and strangely really painful. I feel like my self is being stolen, but I let it happen over and over. Any similar experiences out there?

Also, I personally feel 'gentle spirit' or 'healer' is a pretty good name for this tritype. And, all our representative 479s here have blue/ purple photos :]
Interesting. I can see 4 being interested in 'depth' and digging. 7s would be curious and interested in digging too, but I could see 7s being subject to their hyperactive mind, which can cause them to be scattered, and leave tasks incomplete. However, if one is a core-4 or core-9, they may not be as affected by this as a core-7.

Also, do you think "gentle spirit" fits you well because you're 9w1? I wonder if it would fit a 9w8-47 as well.

Reactions: silverlined

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes, I dig a lot. It makes me feel impatient with people too. I know that I need to relax in this area and give people space to recognise things and transform at their own pace and according to their own will. This impatience issue might be particularly problematic in close relationships when 7 is the core type, as in my case, since 7s are anyway impatient and and quick to become anxious and angry when feeling "oppressed". 7 feels easily swamped, and with 4 the swamp is big and deep. In the past I know I have pushed too hard or given up too soon. I know I need to allow for more space, freedom and time for change. I also relate to what you say about wanting to "transfer some ambition" to the other person. It feels painful to have the awareness plus the longing for things to be better.

I know the moment when someome I meet finds it-- you can see them drawing it towards them and claiming it for themselves. They get really attached, and even when I'm impatient, I'm still the one who 'truly understands' them. It's completely irrevocable, and strangely really painful. I feel like my self is being stolen, but I let it happen over and over. Any similar experiences out there?

I have a similar pattern where other people have felt that I truly see them in a way others do not. It doesn't necessarily result in extreme attachment. One person cut off when they felt I saw too much. But generally the other person recognises that I have something special that allows them to be more of who they really are with me than with most other people. I don't feel like my self is being stolen in the process though. Maybe you feel that way because of your core 9? I am either happy to provide this energy or feel oppressed, abused and exhausted, but not that I lose myself.

Also, I personally feel 'gentle spirit' or 'healer' is a pretty good name for this tritype. And, all our representative 479s here have blue/purple photos :]
Haha, well spotted :) And they're all rather gentle images aren't they?

·
Registered
227 Posts
@madhatter--

Yeah. I mean, you're totally right-- the 'gentle' in there will get you everytime. That, and the choice of 'spirit'-- it's a wispy word, and mysterious-- slipperier than 'soul.' The implication is escapism and exposed vulnerability. But, I think that's a realy limiting reading of the phrase.
'Gentle' does not necessarily mean soft-- when I think of a gentle person, I often think of one who is scaling back; someone conscious of their great capacity for strenght and violence, who chooses to control it. The the 'spirit' half of the title is probably more repsonsible for the bias toward w1 because it implies a split from the body, a sort of magical, extra-physical presence. To be honest, I think a lot of the problem is the english language-- we don't have a lot of tools for describing the 'healing' and deep-as-the-soul fixation of this type without evoking a lot of magical imagery. I mean, when I first read gentle spirit/ healer, I imagined a hippie, yoga and voo-doo practicing woman living in the woods smoking a lot. Whoops. The authority of 'healing' professions outside of state-accredited systems are shrugged off because so much of what signifies authority to us in English are earned, academic titles. (So, that's also interesting-- before hoodoo was cartoonized it was an intense, underground means of subverting authority.) We don't have any way of identifying a 'healing' presence beyond a degree-carrying authority figure. This might be easier translated in an Asiatic language, where wisdom is not as institutionalized. I mean. Or, that's what I think.

Anyway-- without disregarding the seven's searching and the four's soulfulness, 'spirit' evokes the consciousness boundaries and the disparity between self and non-self that is charachteristic of all 9s regardless of wings. I think it's as appropriate an option as we have in English.

*whew* sorry, i hope that doesn't sound too snippy. it's just an academic tone, not anger... i promise!

·
Registered
227 Posts
7 feels easily swamped, and with 4 the swamp is big and deep. In the past I know I have pushed too hard or given up too soon. I know I need to allow for more space, freedom and time for change. I also relate to what you say about wanting to "transfer some ambition" to the other person. It feels painful to have the awareness plus the longing for things to be better.
YES! Ah, that is exactly how I feel.

I have a similar pattern where other people have felt that I truly see them in a way others do not. It doesn't necessarily result in extreme attachment. One person cut off when they felt I saw too much. But generally the other person recognises that I have something special that allows them to be more of who they really are with me than with most other people. I don't feel like my self is being stolen in the process though. Maybe you feel that way because of your core 9? I am either happy to provide this energy or feel oppressed, abused and exhausted, but not that I lose myself.
Maybe it is a core 9 thing... it's also mostly in romantic relationships. In the others, I just feel touched and grateful... I kind of get addicted to it... if I don't feel like I'm probing in to the other person's brain at all times, I get restless. I'm really interested as to how you experience your 7 relating with the other two types. Mine isn't very strong-- I feel pretty out of touch with it.

And they're all rather gentle images aren't they?
THEY ARE! Oh, this makes me giggle. It's so nice to talk to someone of the same tritype...

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah. I mean, you're totally right-- the 'gentle' in there will get you everytime. That, and the choice of 'spirit'-- it's a wispy word, and mysterious-- slipperier than 'soul.' The implication is escapism and exposed vulnerability. But, I think that's a realy limiting reading of the phrase.
'Gentle' does not necessarily mean soft-- when I think of a gentle person, I often think of one who is scaling back; someone conscious of their great capacity for strenght and violence, who chooses to control it. The the 'spirit' half of the title is probably more repsonsible for the bias toward w1 because it implies a split from the body, a sort of magical, extra-physical presence. To be honest, I think a lot of the problem is the english language-- we don't have a lot of tools for describing the 'healing' and deep-as-the-soul fixation of this type without evoking a lot of magical imagery. I mean, when I first read gentle spirit/ healer, I imagined a hippie, yoga and voo-doo practicing woman living in the woods smoking a lot. Whoops. The authority of 'healing' professions outside of state-accredited systems are shrugged off because so much of what signifies authority to us in English are earned, academic titles. (So, that's also interesting-- before hoodoo was cartoonized it was an intense, underground means of subverting authority.) We don't have any way of identifying a 'healing' presence beyond a degree-carrying authority figure. This might be easier translated in an Asiatic language, where wisdom is not as institutionalized. I mean. Or, that's what I think.

Anyway-- without disregarding the seven's searching and the four's soulfulness, 'spirit' evokes the consciousness boundaries and the disparity between self and non-self that is charachteristic of all 9s regardless of wings. I think it's as appropriate an option as we have in English.

*whew* sorry, i hope that doesn't sound too snippy. it's just an academic tone, not anger... i promise!
To take the discussion about the use of the word 'spirit' - I'm glad you brought that up because I hadn't thought about the split from the body that it implies, as you mention. Or perhaps not necessarily a "split" but a non-identification with the body, an acknowledgement of a non-physical reality. Do you other 479s also get information/insights/intuitions/dreams/visions that sort of thing, not through the body-based sensing mechanisms or "rational" use of the mind? I do, and they help me very much to get a more accurate picture of things. I hope this doesn't sound crazy... I find people who are very physically grounded or very identified with the "rational" resist this but this is very real for me, and helps me to understand other people and situations more deeply. I think this relates to what you say about the limitations of Western cultural notions of authority, knowledge and healing.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Maybe it is a core 9 thing... it's also mostly in romantic relationships. In the others, I just feel touched and grateful... I kind of get addicted to it... if I don't feel like I'm probing in to the other person's brain at all times, I get restless.
Yes! A restless compulsion to probe into the other person! I am more aware of this tendency now and try not to do it too much or too soon with a person so I don't make them uncomfortable, but it takes a conscious effort of self-restraint on my part. Without this deep knowing the relationship feels boring to me (and I am sx-first, so-last) but I am trying to value the other things that less deep relationships have to offer and not to be too probing or to push this energy out there too much.

I'm really interested as to how you experience your 7 relating with the other two types. Mine isn't very strong-- I feel pretty out of touch with it.
I feel all of my three types rather present simultaneously but the 7 definitely leads the other two in terms of priorities and approach. I feel 4 relatively less strongly though, which makes sense because 7s generally are most out of touch with their heart centre and their true desires and feelings. These get obscured by the strong body-gut experiences and impulses, which feel positive and strong, mixed with thinking too much, which would generally screw up your connection to your feelings.

The 4 attaches me to pain in a way that I think is not so natural for the stereotypical kind of 7. I also have a 4-ish identification with pain as a fundamental part of who I am, on an ego level anyway. I have never identified with the shallow, scattered, happy-go-lucky image of a 7. But I don't have the natural emotional self-transparency and self-awareness of a 4. At the same time, I don't wallow as much as a 4 would. I might feel like I'm fighting not to drown but the 7 has a strong will not to be bogged down.

The 9 tempers the self-centredness and showiness of the 7, I think. Makes it a little more self-effacing and modest (and my wing is 6, not 8), although I have had my brash flash moments, lol. Not for too long though, and then suddenly it's all serious and depressed again and philosophising my way through it all. 7 fights for its desires and self-fulfilment but for some other things that I can be quite 9-ish and feel apathetic about something I want and think, what's the point of trying, it's too much trouble and I won't get it anyway.

These days I am trying to live life more moderately and to resist the excesses of the 4 and 7.

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
@madhatter--

Haha, not at all. I use an academic tone all the time. Feel free to use it with me often...I am the 935 "Thinker" after all. ;)

And thank you. I appreciate your perspective and insight.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Do you other 479s also get information/insights/intuitions/dreams/visions that sort of thing, not through the body-based sensing mechanisms or "rational" use of the mind?... helps me to understand other people and situations more deeply. I think this relates to what you say about the limitations of Western cultural notions of authority, knowledge and healing.
To the degree that it's absurd! Maybe. I mean. I'm definitely a believer in a sixth sense, but I've always tried to explain my experiences with some kind of logic. What kind of stuff do you experience?
For me at least, when people I know die or are in extreme danger, wierd stuff happens to my body. I'll get deja vu with vertigo sometimes when receiving bad news (when my friends are like 'whoooaa deja vu!!!' because i made a pop culture reference they didn't quite pin, I get so angry. ugh.) and calming dreams in whih I'm visited by the spirit of someone just-lost. Queasy premonitions about seeing people for the last time, or bad things that are about to happen. Sometimes, when someone I feel really connected to is having an exceptionally bad day/night, I get restless or can't sleep.
My favorite is that I ALWAYS feel body-nauseous while I'm leaving the house if I'm going to see someone I know while I'm out. It's failed me maybe once. So convenient! :kitteh:

If that's a little extreme, I can also relate to 'get'ting people in a really instant and intuitive way. I hear this is an Ne user thing, though. And, I've always thought it's just because I refuse to analyze things intellectually-- I just hold the valves open and let every detail of my experience funnel in to my body. I figure my brain has to do something with it, right? The longer it sits there, the more it pulls together into little maps of might-be futures that I forget pretty quickly.

(This does not explain all of the ghosts I saw a child, but my over active imagination might.)

Also, thank you for that description of the way you use all of the numbers in your tritype... that felt really honest and spot on. I can really relate to what you said about with the being cut off from the heart centre... in times of great stress and indecision, I often tell my friends I'm a great candidate for leading a double-life. haha.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts