Personality Cafe banner

5 Senses, your thoughts?

2K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  The red spirit 
#1 ·
Hey ISFPs, do you sometimes feel that one (or all) of your 5 senses are more intune than other personality types?
i know for me, (even though I wear glasses), having a lot of colors or visuals at one time can really stress me out, but on the other hand just having my purple twinkle lights on in my room can really calm me down. Same thing with hearing.Loud noises, people, machinery, etc. make me cross the line into insanity land, but silent dark places, or even loud music(that I enjoy), will sooth me. Smells, too, weirdly enough. Bad smells for some people are horrible to me, and I will even hold my breath (to the point of passing out), just so that I won't smell whatever it is. But also, on the other hand, smells that I am used to, or connect to something I like, will calm me. Like the smell of my best friends laundry detergent, or the orchestra room from high school. Lastly, touch. I know as a kid I didn't want to wear anything scratchy, or "too tight on my belly" or whatever, and nowadays, tags bother me to no end and brushing past people I don't know, or even don't like will set me up on edge and make me really tense. And yet, I love going barefoot on lush thick grass, and warm sand contrasted with cold waters, on soft rugs and even hard concrete, (conclusion: I hate shoes), and I love to feel the cold wind against my face, rain water soaking through my body, and the warm sunlight shining upon me. And I love the feel of cold wet clay in my hands, and furry animals in my arms, and to be surrounded in pillows and blankets when I sleep. Going to the dentist and getting my teeth cleaned actually tickles my mouth, but I hate the feeling of anything grating against my teeth.
hehe, sorry, I'm ranting again.
but seriously, how do your 5 senses affect you? Are yours just as sensitive as mine? What has been your expirence over the years?

See less See more
#2 ·
Ialso love to go outside in the morning. Listen to the birds as they sing. I love to do this at night too. Just looking up and see the stars, feeling the wind, breathing the air. Or take walks at night and take short peeks inside peoples homes as I walk by. Even more enjoyable when there's snow to quieten it al.

I too can't stand loud noises they anger me or cause anxiety. Babies crying, silverware falling on the floor, people being obnoxious. etc.

#3 ·
I have a weird problem with my senses. If there are loud noises--even music--my sense of smell is greatly diminished--I can't smell. Weird but true. :)

Probably sight is my weakest sense, but that seems to be limited mainly to people--I don't remember faces, clothes, or anything. But that may be because I tend to avoid looking directly at people. I notice expressions, posture and gestures, but not faces, and if you ask me what somebody was wearing, I probably couldn't tell you the color if I wasn't looking. But I love photography--go figure. Also, my visual memory is my weakest. Most provocative is probably smell (and taste), with sound next--and maybe touch, but definitely sight at the bottom.

And I'm with 13 Others. Give me the wind and sounds of night time or early morning. I also miss the beach. The worst thing about living where we do now, is that we are in the city--yeah, I have a back yard and swing, but the nighttime sounds are cars on the nearby roads, and sirens, not the crickets and night birds or the wind in the trees. Worst, thing though, is the winter--months indoors with nothing but nothing--cold, ice, snow--and indoors. blech. Music helps then, but I'd prefer the natural sounds--even city sounds (at least early morning sounds are natural here) Oh, and I love the sounds of trains in the distance--the mournful horns, the screeching of the wheels on the rails as they round the bend, the rumble of the diesels as they labor up the hill. Yeah. That's a childhood memory of mine, from where I grew up in the woods. Sigh... I better quit now. :)

#4 ·
I walk to and from work every day and listen to loud music the whole time. Once in a while if I don't have music for whatever reason, I'm forced to listen to the natural sounds and it's unexpectedly pleasant.

Also, sort of off-topic of the OP but in answer to the thread's title, it made me think of this article: 6 Lies About the Human Body You Learned in Kindergarten | Cracked.com

#5 ·
From birth, so it seems, colors have excited me or affected me deeply. I am drawn to bright, fun colors like bees to honey. On the flip side, if there is a lack of color, if I'm somewhere where there is a lack of color, I feel drained and bored. In my younger days I would even get headaches!
I am sensitive to sounds. The sound of water relaxes me, the song of birds makes me feel alive! On the other hand,loud noises make me really nervous and\or angry.

#7 ·
Sound probably affects me the most. Sounds I love: birds, my sweet sweet pet budgie, music, and how someone's voice sounds. Then smell. I love the smell of my blankets, people I love, fresh scents, and food. Then touch, like the textures of my blankets, my clothes, comfort. The rest, like sight and taste are less important and I need to make a little bit more effort to truly experience and appreciate them fully. That's my answer for now.

Seriously though, I'm taken aback at how much voice affects how attracted I am to someone. If I like someone's voice, I can listen to them talk for hours about anything and I'll feel warm and fuzzy lol. Only one person's voice has that affect on me though. And hearing my bird sing makes me break out in smiles. This just might feel significant to me at the moment since it's something I'm just realizing..

#8 ·
Sight - I notice random tiny details (like the other night I noticed a leaf bug the size of one of those small metal pin-heads crawling on the hand pump of a lotion bottle) and sometimes I'll be completely oblivious to something right in front of me.

Sound - Depending on what I'm doing, I can tune it out if I want to. I listen to music and audio books all the time while I'm working or doing things at home because it helps me stay alert and gives the creative part of my mind something to do when it's not being used much elsewhere. Complete silence is nice when I first come home from work or from being around people for a long time, but I find it hard to fall asleep to pure silence. I need some kind of background noise like a ceiling fan, rustling of trees from an open window or rain. I LOVE the sound of rain. To my knowledge, I have never woken up during a thunderstorm.

Touch - This is probably the most effective way to wake me up. Also the most startling. I notice right away when I touch something slightly wet or when my hands are too dry. Soft things are heavenly. I always notice when someone touches me either accidentally or purposefully but unless I feel like they're too much in my space or it's going to hurt, I don't really have much reaction.

Taste - I've had many times where I thought about a food I particularly liked or disliked or just a food I was craving and I would start to taste it. I'm not sure why. I think my family would say I'm not very sensitive to taste though because I eat soooo many spicy things and I pack on the heat. I don't know if eating ghost pepper sauce has truly affected my taste buds or not, but I still enjoy very subtle tastes like herbal teas without sugar or honey or anything.

Smell - Sometimes I've had that same kind of sensation where I think about something and can smell it. Super weird. I don't know that I can do it on queue; I've never tried. Probably depends on how strong it is. I do know that whenever someone wears a good-smelling perfume or cologne it is much harder for me to dislike them lol. I would say my sense of smell is pretty acute.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.