Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any 5's with 541/514 as part of their tritype? If there are what is it like? For me I spend a lot of time in my head and away from people and I often do research out of curiosity. And I have good artistic taste (including dark art) though I'm no artist and I often look for the meaning in things. I also sometimes feel the need to advocate on the behalf of others (if only I wasn't lazy and careless).

·
Banned
1,833 Posts
514 here. The only other 514 I know of on the board is @DarwinsBastard, if he feels like contributing. I can relate to the tendency to spend a lot of time in my head, but that's likely more of an aspect of introversion. A quick look at your profile indicates that we probably have very little in common though (a 5 who likes shopping malls? Truly?).

But let's see... I tend to communicate on a level of sharing information. I am occasionally guilty of doing this in a didactic way, but didactic people annoy me so I try to tone it down if I notice it. I almost always connect with people on a solely intellectual level and am inept at emotional expression; the more meaningful something is, the less likely I am to divulge it. It's not that I don't feel emotions, I feel them with destructive intensity sometimes, I just tend to view them as extremely private. I feel much more capable of expressing love for animals than most people on an individual level; I can cuddle with my dogs all day, but if a friend or family member is looking for hugs, I am usually edging out of the room. Despite this, I find humanity wholly fascinating as a species and care very much about social/political issues such as economic inequality. I've been told that I should go into the policy side of advocacy rather than working directly with people. I have very high standards and hold myself to them rigidly, if I fail them, I have difficulty forgiving myself. I am a bit of an elitist when it comes to music and literature, but seeing as how that is an amazingly arbitrary way to judge the caliber of one's character, I try to stamp that down. That about sums it up.

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@bromide

I like shopping malls but I don't go to them every day nor do I spend a lot of money when I do go.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I'm a 514. "What's it like?" is really broad, so I'll just leave it at there for now.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I'm going to start this by saying the enneagram isn't something I understand well, so I'm not sure if I'm entirely confident in my own 514 category, all I can really have confidence in at this point is that I'm a 5, so take this with a grain of salt. My last test was 5w6, 1w2, 4w5.

514 here. The only other 514 I know of on the board is @DarwinsBastard, if he feels like contributing. I can relate to the tendency to spend a lot of time in my head, but that's likely more of an aspect of introversion. A quick look at your profile indicates that we probably have very little in common though (a 5 who likes shopping malls? Truly?).

But let's see... I tend to communicate on a level of sharing information. I am occasionally guilty of doing this in a didactic way, but didactic people annoy me so I try to tone it down if I notice it. I almost always connect with people on a solely intellectual level and am inept at emotional expression; the more meaningful something is, the less likely I am to divulge it. It's not that I don't feel emotions, I feel them with destructive intensity sometimes, I just tend to view them as extremely private. I feel much more capable of expressing love for animals than most people on an individual level; I can cuddle with my dogs all day, but if a friend or family member is looking for hugs, I am usually edging out of the room. Despite this, I find humanity wholly fascinating as a species and care very much about social/political issues such as economic inequality. I've been told that I should go into the policy side of advocacy rather than working directly with people. I have very high standards and hold myself to them rigidly, if I fail them, I have difficulty forgiving myself. I am a bit of an elitist when it comes to music and literature, but seeing as how that is an amazingly arbitrary way to judge the caliber of one's character, I try to stamp that down. That about sums it up.

Red: I think I'm fairly open and easy to read emotionally, I have a tendency to brood only because of what is likely an undiagnosed anxiety disorder.

Blue: I can related to this a great deal. While I care a lot about social and political issues though, it's not what I work towards, I'm not an advocate really, but I don't shy away from offering an opinion.

My choice of major (BioAnth) was largely because while I find humans an interesting topic to study, I don't really have a desire to study things with a heavy cultural or political component, I just want to contribute in some small way to science and leave it at that. I also struggle with perfectionism as she does.

Reactions: bromide

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Any 5's with 541/514 as part of their tritype? If there are what is it like? For me I spend a lot of time in my head and away from people and I often do research out of curiosity. And I have good artistic taste (including dark art) though I'm no artist and I often look for the meaning in things. I also sometimes feel the need to advocate on the behalf of others (if only I wasn't lazy and careless).
I'm a 541. I'm fairly certain about these types, not sure of the order, so I may be 514. I don't know. I'm extremely finicky and like to have things just right. Show me some of my favorite music and I can write an essay on why they just don't measure up, why their lyrics are tacky, why their time signatures are dully repetitive and cop-out, their orchestrations shamefully pedestrian, why their dynamics are flat and more abstractly, why they are mostly devoid of beauty. Have the room a little too hot, I'm so fidgety I can't do work. A little too cold, I'm so fidgety (from trying to warm myself) I can't do work. A little too bright, I'm overstimulated. A little too dim, I can't see. I am severe and intractable about my values and struggle to think highly of anyone who violate them.

In my expression, I'm egalitarian, laid back and relativist. You will not hear much from me about how your morals are backwards and despicable, but get me started in a debate, these views will very much come out and I will be uncompromising. For me, either abortion is permitted in all instances, or none. There is little relativism or ethical cherry-picking permitted in my views and I'm often perplexed at those who hold more moderate views (like not permitted, except in rape, etc.). The reason that I am agreeable is because I actually just don't care that much.

Issues of social justice rile me in theory, which is why I am one of the most opinionated people around if you manage to get me to debate you (very hard to do. You must either piss me off, or impress me, both impressive feats in themselves), but in reality I'm much more wrapped up in my esoteric intellectual and artistic pursuits, such as piano, Russian literature, math, science, etc. I have a very fine tuned sense of aesthetics and am often told I have an excellent eye for beauty, as well as a good grasp of complex systems, if I can put my mind to it.

I excel in all academic subjects and earn top grades at a top college, and can say with a straight face, when choosing majors, that my aptitude makes every major open to me, thus I care a lot more about earning potential and prestige of a major than whether or not I can do it- and I am snobbish. I was shown a college humanities paper and asked what grade I would have given it. I said D, if I was generous, perhaps an F. In college math and science exams, if you misinterpret the question, you get zeroes all around, at least for that question. The exact same situation occurred here. The paper was clearly the result of a careless reading and interpretation of the question and thus it was obvious that the paper was related to the question, but did not actually respond to it. It got a B, apparently. In my opinion if you don't answer a question you deserve no better than an F. Why the double standard? We do this in math!

I don't read the news except for what directly affects me (most recently college admissions), deleted my Facebook account and disconnected from the world in many aspects. I will admit to being two-faced, to caring a lot about social and environmental justice and not doing nearly enough for what I believe in. I've always been a thinker than an action-oriented person, and I don't know how much I should apologize for that.

EDIT: Apparently, according to my signature, I'm 514. That must be right. I haven't taken the test in ages.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm a (5w6, sx) 541 tritype, new to the enneagram but eagerly diving into it as a means of personal growth and self awareness. I have been studying MBTI personality theory for a while (I'm INTJ) but the enneagram is giving me a new perspective, a new angle on my strengths and weaknesses while showing me a myriad of blinds spots to conquer. I must admit I find this topic fascinating. Admittedly, I do live in my head too much, something that I'm working on at the present moment...

·
Registered
235 Posts
I'm a 514 (5w6, sp). What's it like? Well, I don't really have emotional reactions to things very much; things that seem illogical rapidly make me annoyed though. I would describe myself as laid back, fair and honest, an academic high achiever, even though I don't work very hard. When I communicate with others, it's usually sharing information (like bromide); I'm either teaching someone, or they're teaching me. People are often annoyed by the way that I rarely think of others' feelings.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Also a 514. I can agree with just about everything the other 514s have written about their experiences. At list to some degree, lesser and greater.

a puzzlement.

also, INTJ

·
Registered
393 Posts
I am a 5-4-1 INTP, though I am by no means well-versed in Enneagram theory and so the precise order may be different.

As others have stated, I too am a very cerebral person. I never daydream, but I do 'live in my head', often analyzing and organizing patterns, impressions, and data while appearing externally to be engaged in some routine physical activity such as washing the dishes or driving. I excel easily in many academic areas, and have never struggled with school - more often I found the class material boring and the hectic crowds of middle school and high school overwhelmingly chaotic. Although I attained a high GPA in college, again, it was never really something I bothered to work very hard on. My school work was often secondary to whatever entertaining bit of information I was researching or whatever special interest I had developed.

Similar to other posters, I too often struggle with recognizing and expressing emotions, although I believe this deficit is exacerbated by my High Functioning Autism, and for most of my life I struggled to comprehend the basics of social interaction. Nowadays I'm more apt to just say 'fuck it'. People learn to deal with me and appreciate my individuality, or they don't. However, I have begun working on my Theory of Mind, remembering that other people are individuals with their own thoughts, opinions, and intentions, and I have severely curtailed my didactic conversational style - but for many years as a child and young adult I would happily engage friends in one-sided conversations on, for instance, existentialism, and then once my meandering train of thought had run its course I would wander off. I was the epitome of that 'absent-minded professor' stereotype, and to some extent I still am.

·
Banned
1,526 Posts
I had pretty much given up on tritype as being a futile exercise but after reading comments of those with the 145 (in whatever order) it really strikes a chord with me. I'd say it's quite likely I'm a 451, with the one definitely being last. It makes for an odd four, let me tell you. I think 541s will seem somewhat typical five, while I seem like a pretty cerebral and unemotional four (despite being extremely emotional). A lot of it comes out when alone and is primarily hidden from public view, even though I'm sexual dom. For some reason righteous indignation is an acceptable emotion to express, but I really struggle with expressing my sorrow and my intense romanticism. It's annoying how much I keep hidden. I feel like few (if any) know the real me.

·
Registered
945 Posts
In my opinion, 541 is very dreamy,investigative, eccentric, inquisitive, private, fussy, impractical, moralistic and self absorb; I learn that the hard way. I'm immensely sympathetic but only to a certain extend, exclusively for the people I fond of. Though, people in general tend to like me with no superb reason; at least to me. Maybe I'm nice. My variant is sx/soc. My inferior Si makes me a tad oblivious of people.
@SuperDevastation I assume you are a perceiver, seeing the many doubts in how you present your words(me also c:) or have Fe in your functional stack.
Being a 541 is intense perfectionism and a clear end point/goal. If I put my mind to it I find myself to be very ambitious in my quest for intellectual artistic path. My writing is my passion and I'm eager to make the best out of it, but if I'm carefree I'll be a seahorse; stagnant. And not even bothered if people point out I look lost.
Also, yes; you'll be constantly inside your head. To defend yourself from being overwhelmed. My sx variant gives me the tendency to imagine fantastical scenarios; weird sci-fi and metaphysical, fame or love. Whatever caught my interest in the moment.

·
Registered
803 Posts
What are the wings to your 4 and 5 respectively?
I doubt my image fix is 4w3 considering such words as "dramatic", "flamboyant", "theatrical", ect. are used to describe that type. I'm pretty allergic to drama, and I'm about as far from a "diva" as you can get. However, I don't know that such adjectives accurately capture the nature of 4w3 and, since Four is not my core fix, I don't know how the 4w3's expression would be altered in a secondary position.

5w4 makes more sense to me as my core type, but I'm willing to consider 5w6 as well. (I tend not to bother with wings unless the subject comes up, as it did here; I generally just think of myself as a 5-4-9.)

·
Registered
18,510 Posts
I doubt my image fix is 4w3 considering such words as "dramatic", "flamboyant", "theatrical", ect. are used to describe that type. I'm pretty allergic to drama, and I'm about as far from a "diva" as you can get. However, I don't know that such adjectives accurately capture the nature of 4w3 and, since Four is not my core fix, I don't know how the 4w3's expression would be altered in a secondary position.

5w4 makes more sense to me as my core type, but I'm willing to consider 5w6 as well. (I tend not to bother with wings unless the subject comes up, as it did here; I generally just think of myself as a 5-4-9.)
I was specifically thinking of your 9 fix as I am currently trying to determine my gut.

·
Registered
312 Posts
1 - 20 of 44 Posts