Personality Cafe banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been a month since I discovered enneagram. I've been reading a lot about type 4 and type 5 (especially here, on personality cafe) and I really can't find out which type I am.

If you people could help me with some questions I should ask myself to find out who I am or with some comparsion between the types, that will be great!

I know there are several other threads about this problem, but I wanted a new, clearer one.

By the way, I know about MBTI for about 3 years.

·
Registered
18,510 Posts
It's really quite simple - 4s are motivated by their passion envy and 5s are motivated by their passion avarice. You figure out the type if you figure out what motivates you. Also, did you consider 9?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's really quite simple - 4s are motivated by their passion envy and 5s are motivated by their passion avarice. You figure out the type if you figure out what motivates you. Also, did you consider 9?
Well I think am neither greedy nor envious. You know, I am also INxP. How did you find out that you are more of a 5 than a 4? Would you ask me some questions about myself which would help me find my type. Thanks!

·
Registered
18,510 Posts
Well I think am neither greedy nor envious. You know, I am also INxP. How did you find out that you are more of a 5 than a 4? Would you ask me some questions about myself which would help me find my type. Thanks!
I knew I was all along because I saw the lines of connection to 7 and 8 but not 1 and 4, and because my overall behavior and thought patterns resemble type 5 more than 4.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I pretty much already always knew I was a more a Four than Five, despite my doubts. Also, my direction of integration has made me more like a healthy One (as a Four would integrate to) rather than a healthy Eight (as a Five would integrate to).

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your help, people! After I read again the descriptions of the enneatypes, I figured out I'm a five.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You need to look at motivations, not read descriptions. What motivates you in life in an existential sense?
I meant I read all the stuff that describes the types, including motivations.

Yes, my meaning in life is to learn.

I was really confused for a while if I'm meant to be an actor or a scientist.

While I would make a good actor, I don't really like this lifestyle. I don't feel like expressing emotions all my life.

I like to read a lot. I always loved science.

·
Registered
18,510 Posts
I meant I read all the stuff that describes the types, including motivations.

Yes, my meaning in life is to learn.

I was really confused for a while if I'm meant to be an actor or a scientist.

While I would make a good actor, I don't really like this lifestyle. I don't feel like expressing emotions all my life.

I like to read a lot. I always loved science.
None of that 4 or a 5 makes. 4s desire to be understood by others to achieve holy origin and 5s desire to understand the world around them to achieve holy omniscience. Wanting to become an actor or a scientist can be for a wide variety of reasons all unrelated to these two holy ideas.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts