Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since 5w4s are on the fault line of heart and head, I'm really interested to see how that affects them in music taste. I've seen threads asking about music taste and other threads asking about what turns types on. But I decided that combining the two might yield some interesting results. This is my first started thread so if you all don't mind bearing with me for poor wording/whatever mistakes I might make that would be great. :happy:

To clarify, when I say music that "turns you on" I don't necessarily mean sexy music or music that you would like to have sex to (although that is an option). I'm mainly asking for the type of music that makes you feel particularly sexual. If you wouldn't mind posting your Myers-Briggs type along with your answer that would be great

Most of the songs that I like in that way I like because of the beat, and the "coldness" with fire burning behind it feel. Examples: Massive Attack, Portishead, some Radiohead (but not much for that purpose).

This is my current favourite in the sexual feeling genre: "Undenied" by Portishead

Note: I think this thread will particularly apply to sx/sp's and sp/sx's.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I find myself to be stimulated (in almost every way) by metal. Though I suppose I find certain types/bands/songs to be more sexual than others. Play certain songs by Opeth or Porcupine Tree for me and I'm yours. A Perfect Circle, Puscifer, Tool especially (must be Maynard for some reason) usually flips a switch in my brain. The song that gets me the most and has since I was a teenager is "Change" by the Deftones. Strangely, with the exception of the first two bands, I do not usually listen to the music I have mentioned. Normally, I listen to much more agressive music. Strange that the more mellow types have that effect on me.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Classical music and film scores. Little else. I tend to like late Romantic and early 20th century, the cusp between tonal and atonal. I don't like the straight-up Baroque (unless it's Bach, or contrapuntal, or both!), Classical and Romantic much. Except Beethoven. That man works magic.

Reactions: ilia and jdog

·
Registered
947 Posts
I'm arouse by every song from Arctic Monkeys, half of the songs from MGMT, a lot of the songs from The Black Keys.

One of my favorites from Arctic Monkeys :

Every time I hear this its almost like Alex Turner and I bike ride cross country. I'm folding my arms around his waist, the sun is setting, we're giggling and telling jokes keeping each others warm from the shifting wind around us, the sound of screeching tires from his harley. Then we rent a motel room and cuddle till dawn.

One of my favorites from MGMT :

Every time I hear this song I delve into a weird state where I'm not really awake nor a sleep, I'm suck into this imagery where its dark, I feel the leather from a car seat underneath my elbows, shades of blue at the sky through a glass window, some ones hair gently caress my face and someones moan as the back ground music. Andrew VanWyngardens eyes lock into mine. Whoa!

Also, this! One of my favorites from The Black Keys :

When I hear this, as if I'm in the hands of a dangerous man, who claim to save me from despair and boredom. We run through the dark streets of Manhattan, making out at every corner, looking up expecting the moon to sneer at us for our inappropriate passion.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the videos guys! I look forward to listening to them.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Since 5w4s are on the fault line of heart and head, I'm really interested to see how that affects them in music taste. I've seen threads asking about music taste and other threads asking about what turns types on. But I decided that combining the two might yield some interesting results. This is my first started thread so if you all don't mind bearing with me for poor wording/whatever mistakes I might make that would be great. :happy:

To clarify, when I say music that "turns you on" I don't necessarily mean sexy music or music that you would like to have sex to (although that is an option). I'm mainly asking for the type of music that makes you feel particularly sexual. If you wouldn't mind posting your Myers-Briggs type along with your answer that would be great

Most of the songs that I like in that way I like because of the beat, and the "coldness" with fire burning behind it feel. Examples: Massive Attack, Portishead, some Radiohead (but not much for that purpose).

This is my current favourite in the sexual feeling genre: "Undenied" by Portishead

Note: I think this thread will particularly apply to sx/sp's and sp/sx's.
INFJ

I just saw this thread for the first time. I have an undying love for Portishead and listening to Dummy on my ride home from work yesterday. Undenied, Glory Box, Numb, and All Mine are other "sexual" favourites.

I'm going to add some other artists when I get home from work.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
INFJ

I just saw this thread for the first time. I have an undying love for Portishead and listening to Dummy on my ride home from work yesterday. Undenied, Glory Box, Numb, and All Mine are other "sexual" favourites.

I'm going to add some other artists when I get home from work.
I'm so glad to see that someone else is turned on by this music :) I look forward to reading your responses.

Reactions: Wasp

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
I'm so glad to see that someone else is turned on by this music :) I look forward to reading your responses.
It's actually quite difficult for me to think of other songs that make me feel quite the way Portishead often does. Some of these songs comes close:

Jorane - The Cave

Bonobo - Ketto

Other songs give me a similar kind of feeling but more energetic and less...erotic...? I'm not sure what other word to use.

Gogol Bordello - Mishto

Gogol Bordello - Boro Foro

I'm not really into classical style music, but I completely fell in love with the Jane Eyre soundtrack by Dario Marianelli.

A small taste:

·
Banned
1,815 Posts
I am a type 5w4 sp/sx INTP (INXP). Music doesn't make me feel particularly sexual, and if by some chance it did, I would probably dislike the song because I wouldn't like feeling manipulated in that way. I would keep asking myself, "What's the point of this?" I look for the expression of emotional/intellectual depth in music.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's actually quite difficult for me to think of other songs that make me feel quite the way Portishead often does. Some of these songs comes close:

Jorane - The Cave
I liked this; I can see some of the similarities between this and Portishead. Unfortunately, this one didn't seem to "pick up" to me. I usually need some kind of weird bass/synth/beat thing going on.

Bonobo - Ketto
This song was cool. It was more on the new age side for me though than emitting erotic energy.

Other songs give me a similar kind of feeling but more energetic and less...erotic...? I'm not sure what other word to use.

Gogol Bordello - Mishto

Gogol Bordello - Boro Foro
I definitely see what you mean by energetic. These songs didn't do too much for me; they aren't quite my type of music in general. Have you heard of the Tin Hat Trio? They did some music for the movie Everything is Illuminated.

I'm not really into classical style music, but I completely fell in love with the Jane Eyre soundtrack by Dario Marianelli.

A small taste:
Yum. This is beautiful. I am a soundtrack freak. I love them. When I listen to them I like to play the movie again in my head that pertains to that song. I saw Jane Eyre and for some reason did not look up the soundtrack. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: Wasp

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
To everyone who is posting videos, I thank you all very much. Due to my INTP-ness, I am unable to reply with full replies like I have done with some people. Please take no offense at this; I am grateful for all your participation in this thread :happy:

p.s. If you would like me to exclusively listen to your post, feel free to PM me and ask for my thoughts.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Classical music and film scores. Little else. I tend to like late Romantic and early 20th century, the cusp between tonal and atonal. I don't like the straight-up Baroque (unless it's Bach, or contrapuntal, or both!), Classical and Romantic much. Except Beethoven. That man works magic.
I love film scores. What are your favourites? My favourite film composers are Hans Zimmer, James Newton Howard, Alexandre Desplat, Clint Mansell, and Trent Reznor.

Beethoven is a magician for sure. As popular as Moonlight Sonata is, it's popular for a reason. So good.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I love film scores. What are your favourites? My favourite film composers are Hans Zimmer, James Newton Howard, Alexandre Desplat, Clint Mansell, and Trent Reznor.

Beethoven is a magician for sure. As popular as Moonlight Sonata is, it's popular for a reason. So good.
I like pretty much everyone you mentioned except Trent Reznor. As I stated in another thread, I have a techno-terror thing. I hate anything that's really futuristic, and silver, and, well, techno, which means I don't like a lot of sci fi and action movies. I especially disliked Transformers. I also like "small time" composers who aren't nearly as famous, such as Jeff Beal's Rome soundtrack. It's more ethnic and "exotic", much unlike Hans Zimmer's 300, a classical (in both the musical "Classical" and the "formulaic" sense) formula for "epic" films. But I must say Rome was never set to be an epic. You don't even get good battle scenes. They just couldn't afford it. Hell, even without battle scenes the whole show got cancelled, while running strong, because it was just way too expensive.

Some of my favorite non-famous soundtracks:

(Check out other great tracks, like "Cleopatra Seduces Caesar", "Vorenus Saves Pullo", "Triumph", "The Battle Begins", etc. The whole soundtrack is worth getting, in fact. It makes good background music even when the score is not exciting)

Famous tracks I really like:

This whole Star Wars original trilogy and How to Train Your Dragon soundtracks are basically goldmines.

What about your favorite tracks? I want to know :)

Reactions: Flatlander

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
I liked this; I can see some of the similarities between this and Portishead. Unfortunately, this one didn't seem to "pick up" to me. I usually need some kind of weird bass/synth/beat thing going on.
I was curious what other songs or bands you fit into that category. I like the Jorane song and the Bonobo stuff, but it definitely
isn't the same as the way some of those Portishead songs go.

·
Registered
18,510 Posts
I am a type 5w4 sp/sx INTP (INXP). Music doesn't make me feel particularly sexual, and if by some chance it did, I would probably dislike the song because I wouldn't like feeling manipulated in that way. I would keep asking myself, "What's the point of this?" I look for the expression of emotional/intellectual depth in music.
I don't think sx is so much sexual energy as it is a specific sense of intensity that is expressed outwards in the hopes to connect. I think I prefer sx/sp energy type of music. It energizes me as I feed upon the sx.

Currently, I'm so obssessed over this song:

It has a nice combination of Ne humor (wanna erase fucking fairies in space XD), it's actually extremely well-written if you break down it musically but actually touches upon a question about discrimination in general but in a very light-hearted manner. At least I can relate to the issue of morality about what you can kill, cannot kill and shouldn't kill and want to kill in video games. Pretty sure this song is an sx/sp one for example. Upon some evaluation I think all of my favorite songs are sx/sp.

Re: soundtracks: I don't discriminate vs genres or anything. If it's good it's good. I really like The Matrix soundtrack (for all three movies) because it's Juno Reactor and Juno Reactor's awesome. Masters of the Universe for example, so eargasmic:

I also think this song strongly encapsules Ni to me.

More soundtracks that I like is from FLCL by the pillows:

I tend to gravitate towards rock and metal music, especially mixed genres. Oh yes, I am also totally in love with Akira Yamaoka and the music he wrote to Silent Hill. He's the one who got me into trip-hop aside Portishead:

And now I'm afraid I've hit the maximum amount of videos I can have in a post :(

1 - 20 of 103 Posts