Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else here thought they were a 4 at one point? I still wonder if I am, but I've only recently discovered that I might be a 6. When my sister originally forced me to take the Rheti Sampler about a year ago, I tested as a 6, but I disregarded it because I didn't resonate all that much with the description. Now, though, I'm starting to see that most all of my actions are dictated by anxiety. Originally I thought the indecisiveness about my type was caused by a deep need to be original (4), but now I think it might be caused by an intense need to understand who I am, only because I haven't been able to rest until I've settled with a type, even if just for a moment. Then I would read something that made me doubt this, and I'd obsess over it again. I'd need an answer, and I couldn't rest until I'd found one.

I think one of the parts of the Type 6 that resonates most with me is that they integrate to a Type 9. I've tried so hard to be laid-back and relaxed, to the point of causing myself even more anxiety, and I'm definitely happiest when I forget my cares. Also, procrastinating. For example, I used to write occasionally but haven't in about a year because I worry that I'm no good.

Anyone else had this problem, especially with thinking they were Type 4? How did you cement yourself as a Type 6? Are you still doubting your type?

Also, if anyone is curious, I'm primarily phobic.

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
i have settled as 6w7 for the moment, but i still wonder about 4w3. i can see much of both types within me. when i first was introduced to the enneagram i thought i might be a 7.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Wow, I just read an amazing Type Four so/sp description, and it sounds so much like me it's crazy. I'm going to have to think on this. Ack. Maybe I'm a 4 primarily but a 6 secondarily, in terms of tritype?

Sorry, this probably belongs in another subforum. I just wondered if anyone else had this problem.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I've tested as a two a couple of times, but I just tested as a 6. I know that twos and fours get mixed up fairly frequently, so it's possible... I don't really know. I'm still working this all out. xD

Reactions: washer

·
Registered
405 Posts
Wow, I just read an amazing Type Four so/sp description, and it sounds so much like me it's crazy. I'm going to have to think on this. Ack. Maybe I'm a 4 primarily but a 6 secondarily, in terms of tritype?

Sorry, this probably belongs in another subforum. I just wondered if anyone else had this problem.
did you read the so/sp descriptions for 6??

i relate very strongly to all sx/sp descriptions for 4/1/7/ and 6. i almost thought myself to be a 6. (i just took a test. 6741 at the top.I feel like it tests for the unhealthy mind/average mindset. i don't find myself feeling the same as i used to years ago and thinking the same way, to an extent. yet i do find myself repeating the same mistakes which show me that I'm not through with my 'journey'.

after reading on the various mechanisms of a 6 in my book, I'm pretty convinced I'm not a 6 justt because i relate so strongly to the other types i could write a paper on it.

·
Registered
5,248 Posts

yep, me too. though so/sx. but yes, i relate a lot a lot with 4 so. envy/jealousy in particular.

what keeps me hanging onto 6 though is that i have 6's problem - hyperreactivity - much more than 4's problem - blowing emotions into something they're not.

i think i'm actually tritype 639 and the 3 competitiveness is making my 6 look like 4.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
did you read the so/sp descriptions for 6??

i relate very strongly to all sx/sp descriptions for 4/1/7/ and 6. i almost thought myself to be a 6. (i just took a test. 6741 at the top.I feel like it tests for the unhealthy mind/average mindset. i don't find myself feeling the same as i used to years ago and thinking the same way, to an extent. yet i do find myself repeating the same mistakes which show me that I'm not through with my 'journey'.

after reading on the various mechanisms of a 6 in my book, I'm pretty convinced I'm not a 6 justt because i relate so strongly to the other types i could write a paper on it.
Nah, I don't relate to the so/sp 6 description much at all. It talks so much about duty and responsibility, and those are the elements of Type 6 that resonate the least with me. I can be very rebellious, and I'm too individualistic to care very much about things that don't matter to me, just because I'm told I should care by other people. I suppose I'm pretty responsible, compared to the other people I know, but I definitely don't feel a strong strong sense of duty. If I was a Type 6, I would probably be sp/so.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Yeah, happens all the time.Thought i was a sexual 4w3 for a while.
i still think so after cross correlating everything and trying to go off core motivations.
i still relate least to 6.
have you ever read the wisdom of the enneagram?
jw.

i'm just glad i'm not mistyping as 5 or a w5 anymore!!
now i know why I don't exhibit those behaviors.
goes to show you can't always go off first instinct or someone else's opinion when working with something like this.
you gotta actually understand each type as a whole and how you feel them driving you.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
i still think so after cross correlating everything and trying to go off core motivations.
i still relate least to 6.
have you ever read the wisdom of the enneagram?
jw.

i'm just glad i'm not mistyping as 5 or a w5 anymore!!
now i know why I don't exhibit those behaviors.
goes to show you can't always go off first instinct or someone else's opinion when working with something like this.
you gotta actually understand each type as a whole and how you feel them driving you.
Huh.Well if you relate most to 4,then cool.

I haven't read it,no.Most 6 descriptions are bullshit,and i don't get on with reciting someone else's shit (who may not even know what the hell they're talking about)..just a habit of mine.

Im happy for you that you settled your E-type..btw are you an enfp or infj?

·
Registered
405 Posts

I haven't read it,no.Most 6 descriptions are bullshit
,and i don't get on with reciting someone else's shit (who may not even know what the hell they're talking about)..just a habit of mine.

ahh my thoughts exactly.. I wish i could see how your (and other 6s) life's progressed...instinctual stackings just change a lot, which is the problem. and we differ there. calling all sx/sp 6s..
i still recommend that book i mentioned, though. it has a lot more insight on all the types than i've come across online.. and i find myself recalling paragraphs throughout the book everyday due to his eloquence. I'm able to recall it from the back of my mind and apply it to the dynamics around me. i'm not an expert, though.

i wouldn't mind making a book about the enneagram and doing a lot of 1 on 1 interviewing.

it gives a social role for each type too.
for instance 4 is "the special one", 6 is "The Stalwart"
how do you feel about the stalwart? seems like the 6 stereotype, hah. i guess that's what it's attempting do almost. the social role stereotypes.

lol jw.

The main reason I respect the author so much is because in one of the final chapters I came across a description* of the most intense selfless/energetic experience i've had. ( i still think marijuana is what made me more susceptible to truly accepting a hard fact.. that i've been self-absorbed with my mom/stepdad my whole life.)

lol it was over me giving him a 20$ christmas gift card. my mom just told me to take it for myself and jessica (gf) and that we need it more.. and at first I said "or he can take it like originally intended?" with a slight edge. She was calm and real sweet about it. Told us to just go get some sandwiches/coffee (coffeeshop gift card), and that he thought it was still stolen.
now, I was choking back tears out of nowhere. i had to hug her and say my goodbyes, quick! I even think she began crying to, like she knew what I felt..
anyways, I cried the whole way home telling my gf to just let me 'suffer' for the time being because it was good for me. (she was trying to give advice when I needed none.)
here's how the author put this level of consciousness : (this has nothing to do with type 6) "Sixth Stratum: Our grief , remorse, and ego deficiency"
This stratum has nothing to do with guilt or the usual feelings of sadness and loss that we experience in our everyday lives. Rather, the heartrending sorrow and natural remorse we encounter here from the clear perception of how deeply and completely we have been separated from our Essential nature.
This stratum therefore entails a considerable amount of "conscious suffering" that the seeker willingly allows for the sake not only of progress but of truth. The suffering experienced at this stratum is purgative in the purest sense of the word, burning away the last remaining illusions of the ego"
(btw i disagree with essence vs ego. i'm all about essence via ego.)" as they are clearly seen in the light of Essence and truth."

and i'd say INFJ. i go mainly off the functioning levels. instead of just description. (and i did just go reread through them all to double check)

anyways, sorry for the long post. mainly would just want you to check out the type 6 descriptions in the book just to see your stance on it. (guess you'd have to buy it so nvm XD)

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
it gives a social role for each type too.
for instance 4 is "the special one", 6 is "The Stalwart"
how do you feel about the stalwart? seems like the 6 stereotype, hah. i guess that's what it's attempting do almost. the social role stereotypes.
i am glad you shared the info about the book, it's interesting, but i'm afraid stalwart is one of the last roles i would ever identify myself in. :/

·
Registered
405 Posts
i am glad you shared the info about the book, it's interesting, but i'm afraid stalwart is one of the last roles i would ever identify myself in. :/
it says something about how they tirelessly volunteer themselves to be "the responsible one". "they put in long hours working to ensure that the relationship or job or belief that they have invested in will continue to thrive and support them. This inevitably raises questions in their doubting minds: Are they being taken advantage of? Do others want them around only because of their hard work and dependability? Would they still be wanted if they stopped working so hard. Thus, playing their Social Role ironically begins to create social insecurities. "

eh. what do you think? seems applicable to some people i know, at least..

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
it says something about how they tirelessly volunteer themselves to be "the responsible one". "they put in long hours working to ensure that the relationship or job or belief that they have invested in will continue to thrive and support them. This inevitably raises questions in their doubting minds: Are they being taken advantage of? Do others want them around only because of their hard work and dependability? Would they still be wanted if they stopped working so hard. Thus, playing their Social Role ironically begins to create social insecurities. "

eh. what do you think? seems applicable to some people i know, at least..
hm. i can think of one or two people like this off the top of my head, but it actually almost strikes me as more 2 than 6... the 2 who tirelessly offers of themself to guarantee that they are loved and will be supported.

occasionally i can see myself in this role - i will get really into something and helping someone (though usually more for the fun and excitement of it, or the empathy i feel, than any awareness of support) - and i will throw my full self into something, and then i will think about all the sacrifice i am making, and will be annoyed when the other does not give back.

my particular brand of social fear is much, much less complex. it's simply knowing that i like people, and i like people to like me, and if a group rejects me, then i will feel a lot of pain. and fear! i really don't like being alone very much. so i try - sometimes desperately - to not be rejected. i suppose from here i could move into the role of the stalwart, but my nature - ENFP w7 sx-first - just isn't like that. i do tend to be loyal and dependable in groups that i am very idealistically devoted to, but it's generally for the short-term. i'm an overacheiver but i'm not a workaholic for any sake but the pure love of the work itself. i do wonder sometimes if others actually like me and want me around, but it doesn't link to how hard i work - it links to however i got into the group in the first place. usually via someone who really likes me introducing me to it. so i wonder if the group just puts up with me because some smaller group of people likes me.

the thing i found so hard about 6 was that these descriptions all start out with the right premise - which is fear and attachment - but they describe people who don't go about doing things the way i do them. i think 6 profiles are often very much geared towards MBTI SJs as well as so 6s, both of which groups do have this tendency to ingratiate themselves via acts. but take an ISTP or ENFP 6, especially sx-first, and i think the modus operandi is going to be a good deal different, even though we start out at the same core.

if i got to choose, i think i might say the Supporter as a social role. i wonder if other 6s would go along with that. or the Bastion, maybe. i guess Stalwart is not that bad, it just strikes me as funny. unfamiliar.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
For a short while, based on an enneagram test, I thought the 6 in my tritype was a 5. I'm pretty sure it's actually a 6w5. Since reading about the enneagram, though, I've mainly thought myself a 4 and I'm sure still that I'm a 4.

·
Banned
13,780 Posts

I haven't read it,no.Most 6 descriptions are bullshit,and i don't get on with reciting someone else's shit (who may not even know what the hell they're talking about)..just a habit of mine.

You seem more like an 8 to me. Highly assertive and reactive. Either you are really counter phobic or had a tough life and needed to stand up for yourself, which would be the founding blocks of the type 8 personality.

Hmm tests had me typed as a 2 until I went to work for an NGO and found that I'm not like a 2 at all. So I lessened the "I like to help ppl" on the test and since then I type either as a 4 or a 5. I don't get how ppl can mistype this, 4 is withdrawn and 6 is compliant. Huge difference. I withdraw from everything eventually or have to fight the need to. I just get sucked up into my imagination and daydream about the stuff I would do....I don't do it however. This makes me distant and aloof or simply odd, sometimes in a funny way. Like what planet are you from kind of thing. <---that is type 4 stuff and INFP stuff, which explains why so many type as a 4.

Type 6 descriptions are....confusing.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
You seem more like an 8 to me. Highly assertive and reactive. Either you are really counter phobic or had a tough life and had the need to stand up for yourself, which would be the founding blocks of the type 8 personality.
Im confident that im not an eight,just a guy tryna get on in life.

As to you,you know i think you're incorrectly typed.

·
Banned
13,780 Posts
Im confident that im not an eight,just a guy tryna get on in life.

As to you,you know I think you're incorrectly typed.
:p then we agree to disagree. Thou for some reason the possibility of mistyping is unnerving for me. I need to have it pinned down precisely. Damn perfectionist tendencies when it comes to accuracy of information :\. Odd how I tend to rewrite and rebuild things until I'm satisfied with how they work and look....and then it bothers me that everyone copies it and then the individuality and strength of what I made is destroyed. Then start allover again. This is also why I go for things where others have failed, I find the idea of proving that I can make it work where so many have failed and do it in my own unique way...exiting.

To walk the path where no one has walked before and make something original, something others would be reluctant to use, but it would work for me and it would stand out.

Hmm probably why my death kight in wow has such an odd tanking build. Seriously no one is willing to or able to use it but I'm the best DK tank on the server haha.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts