Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Banned
17,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't help but observe that most of the 7s in my life and in the media seem to have a fairly androgynous streak

male 7s
- dress flamboyantly
- often wear jewelry, like a tooth or shell necklace
- chatty
- place high priority in comfort
- tend to appreciate things that are beautiful/have an eye for aesthetics

female 7s
- have a mischievous streak
- often wear boy-ish clothing
- aren't concerned with acting "lady-like"
- often have an aggressive side and/or like to initiate rather than being approached
- generally somewhat power seeking (in terms of independence and financial abundance)

·
Banned
1,824 Posts
That's something I've noticed in myself as well (don't know that many other 7s. Any other 7s). The male and female things you've listed apply to me, both. I'm not sure the word is androgynous, so much as it is gender neutral, at least for me:

--Never cared about playing dolls and house; liked science, adventure, and exploration
--Liked to rough-house
--Could care less about being feminine
--Still feel like I'm 10 years old
--Can't stand the thought of marriage/having children/sharing a bank account
--Don't see why "being a girl" should prevent me from doing the things I want

I just don't get this "Venus and Mars" crap. I wouldn't even be aware of it, if it weren't already a book.

Edit: Yeah, I just realized I turn 29 today, and no, I don't feel any "biological clock" starting in on me whatsoever. May such a thing never happen! BLech.

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
I can see this in myself completely. I'm definitely very feminine looking, but I also do all of the other things you have listed under female 7's and some of the male traits. Bolded the ones that pertain to me, and explanations I saw necessary are in blue.

male 7s
- dress flamboyantly
- often wear jewelry, like a tooth or shell necklace- wear a pearl in a cage or an arrow everyday.
- chatty
- place high priority in comfort
- tend to appreciate things that are beautiful/have an eye for aesthetics

female 7s
- have a mischievous streak
- often wear boy-ish clothing
- aren't concerned with acting "lady-like"- when it comes to my views, but I physically present as a lady most of the time. I let that fly around people I'm comfortable with though :)
- often have an aggressive side and/or like to initiate rather than being approached
- generally somewhat power seeking (in terms of independence and financial abundance)

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
I used to joke around that I was either a boy in another life, or I was meant to be a boy. I'm so not a girly-girl. I never did the dolls, the dress up, the makeup... my clothes consist of jeans, camo, and sweatshirts. My sport of choice is a full-contact martial art. I abhor the color pink so much it's funny, especially because my sister is a pink-freak.

For me, I've always gotten along with boys much better than girls. I didn't have my wedding planned at age 8. Even now, the idea of spending the REST OF MY LIFE with 1 person scares me. Not to mention that marriage would involve me sharing my bed. That is not ok. That place is the ONE place that is completely mine.

I don't know about androgynous, but we're definitely not stereotypical. Though before I started developing I did get mistaken for a boy quite often. I have short, almost boyish hair. It's easier that way.

·
Banned
1,824 Posts
for me, i've always gotten along with boys much better than girls. I didn't have my wedding planned at age 8. Even now, the idea of spending the rest of my life with 1 person scares me. Not to mention that marriage would involve me sharing my bed. That is not ok. That place is the one place that is completely mine.
thank you thank you thank you!!!

Edit: That was in very emphatic caps when I first typed it in. You've expressed my thoughts exactly.

·
Banned
17,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's something I've noticed in myself as well (don't know that many other 7s. Any other 7s). The male and female things you've listed apply to me, both. I'm not sure the word is androgynous, so much as it is gender neutral, at least for me:

--Never cared about playing dolls and house; liked science, adventure, and exploration
--Liked to rough-house
--Could care less about being feminine
--Still feel like I'm 10 years old
--Can't stand the thought of marriage/having children/sharing a bank account
--Don't see why "being a girl" should prevent me from doing the things I want

I just don't get this "Venus and Mars" crap. I wouldn't even be aware of it, if it weren't already a book.

Edit: Yeah, I just realized I turn 29 today, and no, I don't feel any "biological clock" starting in on me whatsoever. May such a thing never happen! BLech.
no, androgynous gives a better description than gender neutral. gender neutral gives the impression of sexless, lacking in masculine and feminine qualities, while I was pointing out examples of 7s being both masculine and feminine (in different mixes depending on the 7). gender neutral makes me think of a boring person who lacks sexuality while androgynous makes me think of exotic, unconventional behaviors, beliefs and sexuality. the latter is more 7 if you ask me
@Enfpleasantly
the two lists certainly aren't exclusive from each other, it's just list A lists traits that are more rare/noteworthy in males and list B lists traits that are more rare/noteworthy in females (example: it is much less common for men to place high value in comfort than it is for women). most 7s will relate a lot to both lists.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
thank you thank you thank you!!!

Edit: That was in very emphatic caps when I first typed it in. You've expressed my thoughts exactly.
Great minds think alike ;) Happy birthday, by the way!!

Reactions: RepairmanMan Man

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
how does lacking sexuality = boring ???

and not wanting marriage and commitment (scary word!) doesn't neccesarily mean you're not sexual...

·
Banned
17,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
how does lacking sexuality = boring ???
and not wanting marriage and commitment (scary word!) doesn't neccesarily mean you're not sexual...
I'm talking about sexuality as in a general instinctual energy that adds passion, flair and aesthetic or personal appeal. I agree, commitment is not my cup of tea most of the time either.

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
I'm not sure I know what to consider flamboyant? These are a couple of the dresses I just got for this summer...

And here are a pair of shoes I adore, but I would wear with a plain solid shirt so it wasn't "too much"

I tend to stick to one "flash piece" like I did with these red shoes to an event...

·
Banned
2,198 Posts
Happy birthday, @holyrockthrower :)

Even now, the idea of spending the REST OF MY LIFE with 1 person scares me.
Haha, it scares me too. It sound so... final.

I never cared for gender stereotypes either. I wear eyeliner, I watch football, I cry at movies, I drink beer, I don't like fixing cars, I don't like sappy love stories ;) There are both men's and women's clothes in my wardrobe. Once, when I was waiting for a tram, a lady approached me and said "Can you talk to me? I don't know whether you're a man or a woman, so I'd like to hear your voice" ;) She was a very nice person and complimented my hair.
@Enfpleasantly - nice clothes :) And nice legs.

·
Banned
2,198 Posts
edit: double

·
Banned
1,824 Posts
I love your fashion sense! But no, flamboyant is when you go to school wearing a floor length skirt made of shiny gold material and a blue and gold-sequined caftan from Saudi Arabia and every blue and gold piece of jewelry you can find. You furthermore paint half your face blue and half gold and wear a massive golden chain around your neck. Don't forget to paint your nails an appropriate theme. Then try to pass it all off as "school spirit". XD

You're also considered "flamboyant" if you go into Walmart and a random kid asks you, "What are you supposed to be?"

Yes, both of those things have really happened to me.

·
Banned
17,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I love your fashion sense! But no, flamboyant is when you go to school wearing a floor length skirt made of shiny gold material and a blue and gold-sequined caftan from Saudi Arabia and every blue and gold piece of jewelry you can find. You furthermore paint half your face blue and half gold and wear a massive golden chain around your neck. Don't forget to paint your nails an appropriate theme. Then try to pass it all off as "school spirit". XD

You're also considered "flamboyant" if you go into Walmart and a random kid asks you, "What are you supposed to be?"

Yes, both of those things have really happened to me.
that's a few steps above flamboyant. that's called being a (rich) diva

(for reference purpose, the lady in the photo is the great dramatic soprano Zinka Milanov)

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Ok, so then it's normal if your friend can borrow your everyday clothes for a halloween constume? ( @holyrockthrower your story made me think of that...) I saw her costume and my immediate reaction was "OH NO, that is SO NOT ENOUGH." She was going as a pirate and she had on jeans and a sweatshirt with a scarf tied around her waist. I lent her a military jacket, puffy white shirt, gold necklace, and fake pistol.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am quite feminine I guess. I do like wearing makeup, getting my hair and nails done ect. some people do mistake it for superficiality when I just like to look and feel good. I certainly don't and would not impose it on others. I can be aggressive, outspoken and REALLY immature. Both the male and female characteristics fit me.

Male:
dress flamboyantly
chatty
tend to appreciate things that are beautiful/have an eye for aesthetics

Female:
have a mischievous streak
aren't concerned with acting "lady-like
often have an aggressive side and/or like to initiate rather than being approached
generally somewhat power seeking (in terms of independence and financial abundance

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
I'm not a 7 as you can tell by looking at my user-profile, but I relate to some of the androgyny discussed here. While outwardly I may appear more feminine because I wear makeup and heels and have long hair, I'm keenly aware of that duality that exists between the feminine and masculine. I grew up loving high fashion, so I view many things from that aesthetic point of view, which leads me to really appreciating the lanky, very linear look that men typically showcase. Every time I enter a store like Zara that has both a men's and women's line, I can't help but wish I could morph into a male body to wear clothes made for the male form. Don't mean to derail here, so sorry if I have, but I just relate somewhat to this discussion.
I wonder if this androgyny topic is fitting for any of the head triads seeing that I am a 5(w4) and don't feel completely one with my female form or ideas surrounding feminine vs masculine.

I can't fathom being blissfully married and with children as I do not believe having such things will make me any happier in life and the thought of it actually disturbs me. The ideal living situation should I ever partner up again is to have two houses that are adjoined (as shown irl by the partnership between Helena Bonham Carter and Tim Burton) so that my partner may have his own living quarter and I shall as well, and we can go back-and-forth to each others' abode when we want.

In any case, great thread topic, OP.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
The ideal living situation should I ever partner up again is to have two houses that are adjoined (as shown irl by the partnership between Helena Bonham Carter and Tim Burton) so that my partner may have his own living quarter and I shall as well, and we can go back-and-forth to each others' abode when we want.
THIS. +1 It's all about personal space...

1 - 20 of 49 Posts