Personality Cafe banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
17,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
- how emotional are you? on a scale from 1-10 (1 being the lowest; 10 the highest)
- are you a very emotionally detached person?
- do you ever feel out of touch, like your emotions would spice up your life, but you are unable to access them?
- if you have succeeded in reconnecting with your emotions in the past, how did you go about doing it? what did it feel like to reconnect with them?

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
1. probably a 2 or a 3.

2. Yeah. I taught myself how to detach pretty easily and early. It takes a lot for me to open up emotionally.

3. OMG, yes. I think that the ability to feel would make life more interesting (or chaotic). I'll "fake it till i make it" but that takes alot of work. it's not worth it, in my opinion.

Reactions: Brian1

·
Registered
20 Posts
- how emotional are you? on a scale from 1-10 (1 being the lowest; 10 the highest)
- do you ever feel out of touch, like your emotions would spice up your life, but you are unable to access them?
- if you have succeeded in reconnecting with your emotions in the past, how did you go about doing it? what did it feel like to reconnect with them?
Most people would say I'm pretty emotionally detached (in normal everyday life), but my emotional scale goes to 11.

I get most in touch with my emotions when I'm alone, wandering in in the desert of Southern Utah, looking up at the night sky all full of stars. There's something about that combination - seeing the sky above, with all the stars unobscured... and experiencing the earth, in its primal (almost unearthly) form... and especially, being all alone for miles all around.

For a while, I've thought that I'm like lightning, connecting the sky to earth. When both the sky and earth are pure, the energy and emotion is super strong (unfiltered), and it overloads the defenses I've had to construct to survive in the world. This is good... it forces a strong emotional reset. And the experience is strong. 11.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I guess most people would say I'm very unemotional. But privately, I'd scale myself around 8 or 9. It changes with my moods, of course.

I was depressed for quite some time, and I guess I was very unemotional then, like there was glas between me and everything else. As soon as I resolved my issues, emotions came back again. Gave me some incredible highs in the beginning.

·
Banned
2,198 Posts
Generally speaking, I trust my reasoning skills more than I trust my emotions. I'm out of touch with my emotions in a way; I can't always name or restrain them. I'm quite expressive, though - I can smile and laugh very easily, I cry at movies, I make faces all the time.

I can access my emotions most easily when I write, draw, paint or daydream. Or when I'm in love. Or when I'm contemplating the universe (or maybe multiverse?) and dreaming about hidden passages to alternate worlds. It's like having two faces: cold, analytical, perfectionistic, sarcastic and enthusiastic, cheerful, talkative, childlike.

btw, I re-decided I'm a Seven after a period of doubt. The prodigal son is back!!!!11 :p

·
Banned
17,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Most people would say I'm pretty emotionally detached (in normal everyday life), but my emotional scale goes to 11.

I get most in touch with my emotions when I'm alone, wandering in in the desert of Southern Utah, looking up at the night sky all full of stars. There's something about that combination - seeing the sky above, with all the stars unobscured... and experiencing the earth, in its primal (almost unearthly) form... and especially, being all alone for miles all around.

For a while, I've thought that I'm like lightning, connecting the sky to earth. When both the sky and earth are pure, the energy and emotion is super strong (unfiltered), and it overloads the defenses I've had to construct to survive in the world. This is good... it forces a strong emotional reset. And the experience is strong. 11.
I can definitely relate to that. for me though, it's forests that bring that out in me. for some reason, being out in the woods alone brings out this really sensual, poetic, loving side to me that makes me go "huh?"

·
Registered
168 Posts
Mood based. Can't really answer since the scales haven't really been defined well.

Opposite. Emotionally attached but I had to work to 'connect' with my emotions. I am more likely to follow my heart if it screams for something my brain doesn't agree with or I'll later feel immense regret and guilt more than if I just followed the heart.

Only during depression. Emotions come so naturally to me I never feel a lack of. When highly stressed or confronted with a big heap of **** I think of dropping emotions and escaping through denial but experience says that's not a very healthy way of supposedly coping XD.

After depression I also did the 'fake it till you make it' but as the external environment gave positive responses I started to feel better about myself. Eventually with enough introspection, I identified who I was at the core and what role emotion played for me. Self clarity helped seal the deal but faking it was the impetus.

Now the question is, what about you? You ask so many questions but where are your answers?! :wink:

·
Banned
3,025 Posts
It's difficult to say. I know I have emotions, but I'm not very connected to them (unless we're talking about happiness or anger in their myriad forms). I'm usually either at a baseline of frustration/irritation, or happiness/excitement. Anything else I feel is immediately converted into one of those two, though if I dig deeper, I can rediscover the real emotion if I should want to (which I usually don't).

·
Registered
20 Posts
how emotional are you? on a scale from 1-10 (1 being the lowest; 10 the highest)

Outwardly, probably 1 or 2. On the inside, depends if I am bothered with something people-related.

are you a very emotionally detached person?

I appear to be emotionally detached but that's not the case in reality.

do you ever feel out of touch, like your emotions would spice up your life, but you are unable to access them?

Often but it has improved since I've made effort to ensure I am in touch with my emotions

if you have succeeded in reconnecting with your emotions in the past, how did you go about doing it? what did it feel like to reconnect with them?

Just let them come over me when I'm on my own (spending time alone at home, out for a walk, having a cuppa, writing a journal, etc). I usually feel relieved. It feels like my inner balance has been restored.

·
Registered
277 Posts
1-3 depending.

Usually I don't notice I'm feeling a certain way until I realize that I'm behaving in a way that would signify it. We're out of touch.

·
Registered
9,800 Posts
Depending on my mood, it can go from 0 to 10 quickly. Although for the most part i don't show external emotion often. My sig explains exactly how i feel towards emotions. There is a time and place for everything, i do my best to make sure i time it just perfectly. This was the deal breaker for me between 6/7 core Enng. Core 7 are much more emotional than i am, outgoing and wear their heart of their sleeve sort of speak. This isn't a bad thing, although its not my thing.

·
Banned
17,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Depending on my mood, it can go from 0 to 10 quickly. Although for the most part i don't show external emotion often. My sig explains exactly how i feel towards emotions. There is a time and place for everything, i do my best to make sure i time it just perfectly. This was the deal breaker for me between 6/7 core Enng. Core 7 are much more emotional than i am, outgoing and wear their heart of their sleeve sort of speak. This isn't a bad thing, although its not my thing.
7 is less emotional than 6, not more. 6 is intense, tightly wound up and, at times, reactive. 7s are chill, lackadaisical, devil-may-care and tend to experience emotions in a relatively shallow manner.

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
I agree with @aconite and @Eerie. I can access my emotions and express them healthily, I can be totally detached from them, and I can be overwhelmed by them on rare occasion. I can cry during a movie, and when my babies make me something all by themselves for Mother's Day and write me an adorable letter, you can be sure I'll be moved to tears. When my cat had to be put to sleep and my Husband, myself, and my boys all cuddled her to say our goodbyes, you can bet every one of us were crying..honestly, I don't know anyone who wouldn't be.

Emotions are not a sign of lacking intelligence or strength..actually, being comfortable and rational with them is what speaks strength to me. I've noticed in the Te doms I know in my life, the ones who are out of touch with their emotions are more likely to have irrational emotional outbursts. People who are constantly melting down and freaking out over every little thing are the extreme, but I consider people who never respond emotionally to anything just as extreme...and not in a healthy way.

- how emotional are you? on a scale from 1-10 (1 being the lowest; 10 the highest): Varies

- are you a very emotionally detached person? I can be...I have to be in order to work in nursing.

- do you ever feel out of touch, like your emotions would spice up your life, but you are unable to access them? Yes I have actually. When I feel indifferent about something it feels off to me. I think this is because I usually have an opinion about everything, haha! Indifference is weird for me, and I wish I could access my emotions to feel at least something rather than nothing. Although, I'm learning that indifference can be a good thing in certain situations.

- if you have succeeded in reconnecting with your emotions in the past, how did you go about doing it? what did it feel like to reconnect with them? This is tough, and very personal. Honestly, reaccessing a memory by telling it in detail to someone privately has done this to me. Writing it out makes it even more likely. It felt like a low thunder build up that started in my stomach and burst out through my chest. It's only happened to me twice, and once it was out, indifference came...welcomed indifference :)

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
-I am extremely emotionally detached, sometimes I wish I wasn't but oh well.
-My emotions would definitely spice things up. Just the other day I was making out with this very cute (not hot but so cute it was asinine...and I don't mean silly XD) but I just felt nothing. At one point we were on stairs and I kept thinking "I hope fire marshals don't bust in here....we'd be so boned" I get curious about people (especially of the opposite sex) but I wouldn't say I have ever had feelings for one. I wonder what it's like *dreams*
-I can imagine what it would feel like. Probably feel like Optimus Prime holding the all-spark.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
1. On a scale 1-10....maybe 5. It really depends on the situation. And some things affect me, some I could care less. Even if something did affect me emotionally, I may not understand it completely or express it right there on the spot. Being angry or frustrated is obvious to me if a situation arises. Today a friend was ranting to me about an argument he had with his girlfriend in front of our other friend and how awkward just that situation can be. Than he got offended when I tactfully and objectively mentioned that his gf is kind of......judgemental and mean. Maybe he doesn't see it, but regardless he kind of took offense to that and got mad at me. How did I feel about it? Really indifferent and meh. It is what it is. Also, today, had to text my boss at work over an important issue and he never got back to me. That pissed me off cuz' he never gets back to me on anything and that annoys me especially when it concerns work and he's not there in the flesh. But if I miss his texts, and don't get back in the next 15 min. he goes off. So the double standard thing irritates me.
Long rant sorry: to sum it up: 1st example-didn't bother me a friend was mad at me. 2nd example-I feel irritated/ mad at the boss.
Other situations I need more time to figure out.

2. Emotionally detached-yeah I guess so.
3. Yeah I think I'm out of touch with an assortment of my emotions. And would they spice up my life?
Yeah, they have before, on occassion.
4. .......Succeeded in connecting with my emotions.....ummm yeah. It happens of course. I suppose certain events or people or more specifically 'environments' of many factors will access deeper and more abstract emotions. I've always felt that my emotions are hard to understand and feel like an abstract painting sometimes. That's the best way to describe it. Alot of various art mediums help me to understand certain feelings so I actively search out for meaning in various works of art and go about learning the history and story behind the work itself/the artist. Writing poetry and making music are expressions in themselves that help me reflect on what I'm feeling even if I'm unsure what they mean.
Very rare individuals help me understand and connect with my emotions too but not many. It's quite uncommon.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Probably a 3 or a 4? Depends on the emotion. Happiness is usually a 5, since it comes and goes with some level of intensity. Usually, I'm either annoyed or confused. Everything else, like sadness, anger, and embarrassment is more like a 1 or a 2.

Yeah, but I tend to feel the emotions of another without actually showing it. Depends on the person though. I think only one person is worth the effort of putting all my heart into, but I keep it to a controlled level where I empathize with her pain and heartache, yet don't do something spontaneous based off of it. If I did, I'd ruin what we already have, because every time I followed my withered little heart's advice, I became too much of an ass and ruined my relationships with others. Not that holding my emotions back has done much either, but that's just cause I live a lot of lose-lose situations. How I take my failures so gracefully is beyond me.

Nope. If my emotions were anything like they were back when I was younger, I would be uncontrollable. The only thing standing between me and a 'party naked' mindset is my passion for logic and objectivity. I'd probably also be less controlled had I not found Plato and other Greek philosophers so engaging.

Last time I did that, somebody ended up with a black eye and I got sent home pronto. I went about doing it by trying to bottle up my emotions and pretend they didn't exist, but when I was finally faced with some offensive prick spouting off bs about my family, I snapped. The stuff he said he would do to them was what really set me off. I'm actually proud of beating the sh** out of him; he acted like the coward he really was when around me from that time forward. I won't let myself break down like that again though, but that doesn't mean I won't get back at someone that threatens me or my family.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.