Personality Cafe banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read this from multiple resources, and I might say that it is personally very true. I'm pretty much addicted to everything I do, but in weird short bursts. I go from activity to activity, depending on which one is most stimulating at the moment. The only thing I WISH I could be addicted to but am not, is work (in any way, shape, or form).

Personal thoughts/stories?

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
@AssBot9000

Nice name btw haha.

I've shared on here before about having an addictive personality.
And of having a terrible gambling addiction at one time that truly ruined me.
I'm not sure of other 7's having addiction problems.
Addiction affects all types for various reasons.
But I can see why 7's could be prone to issues of addiction considering our vices.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Totally! There is something very extreme about me...I have this insane craving for intense experiences and like pushing things to the limit! I think I've had addiction issues with everything apart from gambling :ninja:

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
I don't really think what you're describing is "addiction" in the conventional sense. I see addiction correlative with some type of unhealthy dependency. Being REALLLLY INTERESTED in something is what I generally call passion, but what you describe I have coined as "shiny ball syndrome" which looks to me more like ADD than anything else.

However, in Riso and Hudson's book, they do describe that unhealthy 7s are prone to diving into destructive coping mechanisms like drugs or substances in order to mask reality and feel good for the moment. I don't know whether this leads to long-term dependency or whether this means more 7s are full-blown addicts since I believe factors independent of type play into whether a person becomes an addict.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I guess that out of all ennea types, we're the most likely to 1)try, 2)get overly enthusiastic about new things, 3)stop. Especially if you're an ENFP, it makes you somewhat lazy and inconsistent, and your Ne dom is also prone to exploring new possibilities. Of course, there's stopping factor, because quickly the thing isn't new anymore and thus becomes boring. "Shiny ball syndrome" sounds like accurate term for it, I guess.

As for those who really get hooked and get actually addicted, I think those are people who were abusing some substance, alcohol, drug, whatever, and overestimating their power over it. Other addicts, such as gambling, are more to adrenaline or challenge addicts than addicts to the actual act for us, and I believe occur just as an escape method.

·
Banned
14,145 Posts
I've read this from multiple resources, and I might say that it is personally very true. I'm pretty much addicted to everything I do, but in weird short bursts. I go from activity to activity, depending on which one is most stimulating at the moment. The only thing I WISH I could be addicted to but am not, is work (in any way, shape, or form).

Personal thoughts/stories?
to be addicted to your work you need to make it a GAME!

and what you are describing my friend is ... ADD :tongue:

This is me:

Pretty Much. *shrugs* ... I like it. :p

·
Registered
32 Posts
Susceptibility to addiction is the one thing about 7's that doesn't match for me. There isn't anything in the world that could hold my attention that long. I've tried a variety of drugs and found them lacking. And, on a bizarre lark, attempted to become an alcoholic...but found that a liquid diet was too low in variety, especially at breakfast time. I threw the whole experiment out the window in favor of a big plate of sausages. In a few weeks, I was newly obsessed with weight-lifting and diverted my cash away from booze and into wheat grass shots. And...that lasted about 90 days.

·
MOTM Jan 2014
11,128 Posts
Same here, but I've been obsessed with the same few things throughout my whole life :bored: and they are , in essence, my work. I wrote my first 400 page sci-fi novel when I was about 12 and here I am working on a fantasy novel. I've been writing songs since I was 8 and I lead my own band and dedicate 15 hours a day to that project for many years. All my life I've written & done music, either back and forth or spending a few years focusing on one and then the other. In fact I've worked LESS since I joined PerC because I'm obsessed with PerC and I post a lot. Most of my friends say I'm a workaholic. But I am obsessive & addictive- I work hard & play hard. When I'm really 'in the mode' with my work you can barely get me to stop working even when I'm delirious or intoxicated. :p

In the beginning of relationships I can be pretty obsessive with intimates - but long-term I need a lot of my own space to focus on my work, take my solitary walks and have alone time. I need more alone time than almost anyone else I know.

·
MOTM June 2012
9,449 Posts
I have a 7 in my tritype and I've never battled with addiction, although when I was younger I did alot of risky things with some heavy heavy drugs but it was more for the thrill of it, the danger of it, and just to do it, to experience it.

·
Banned
4,227 Posts
There's a very thin line between addiction and passion.

I had an "unhealthy" period at the end of college where I probably was addicted to alcohol, or dangerously close to it. The fights, the intense competition, the wild shit you can't do after graduating. Never enough of it. I wanted it to be more extreme, more off the wall, more of a means of letting off steam. It was very easy to get locked in until you realize that you're only making the situation worse. Having inferior Se certainly doesn't help, because I'm a dumbfuck when it comes to immediate issues that come along with such behavior.

What's funny is that 7 is both a head type and an id type, and as soon as the head takes over, it stops. I'm not exactly impulsive in the conventional sense, but if I commit to something because of a logical rationale, I commit to it for good, and the enneagram really helped with that. It was much easier to say "this" is why - fear - and you have a choice as to how to respond to it, and, if you're unhealthy, you're more than likely going to be fine if you ignore what the fear, now labeled as such, is telling you.

I still get "addicted," but now it's to the right things - family, friends, gaining territory in my profession, being independent and financially secure, tennis, my writing, my - gulp - emotions, sorting through what pains and hurts have been hidden under the rug all this time, and other passions. I don't think that's nearly as much of a problem.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Look back I haven't had too much of an addiction to substances, only in short periods. I messed around with weed, alcohol, and tobacco at times but got tired of each one. I'm more addicted to new ideas, hobbies, and experiences. I'm ENTP, so I'm always looking for that great Eureka! insight.

I have truly known many 7's who're addictive personalities, but I've also known many of the other types to be addicts too.

Come to think of it, during my social work internship I found out that I have a natural ability to work with addicts. Maybe because I can understand them, even though I don't abuse substances very often. Hmmmmm.

·
Banned
17,781 Posts
I actually think 8s and 6s are more prone to addiction than 7s, at least if we're talking alcohol and drugs because 7s are likely to think "this is going to hurt me" or "this hangover fucking sucks" or "I hate these side effects. I feel like shit"
for that reason, they are, in my opinion, less likely to develop harmful addictions despite having an addictive personality
PS: I'm a 7w6 with strong secondary Sp, so my opinion might be a bit biased in that direction (in contrast, 7w8 Sx/So is probably much more likely to become addicted to harmful things)

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm a 7 with balanced wings, an I am addictive as HELL. as long as i can remember ive been addicted to some form of avoidance/escapism/stimulation, be it drugs (copious amounts of marijuana has been smoked along with much too frequent psychedelic use), video games, other imaginative entertainment (books movies tv shows), self destructive tendencies, sexual exploits, avoidant thought patterns. the 7 type is supposed to be incredibly avoidant right? well i guess with the right environmental stressors that shit can get out of hand with certain people, ive been addicted to some form of avoidance ever since i can remember thinking for myself. luckily ive recently managed to become addicted to producing music as well..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.