Personality Cafe banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I've always struggled with this myself to varying degrees with different pursuits.
The worst was a terrible gambling addiction I had at one time. I couldn't get enough of the thrill, the chase, the money, the lavish lifestyle at times, the traveling, the late nights playing and partying.:crazy:
But the side effects were enormous, lost friends, destroyed other relationships, so and so forth:bored:. Managed to get help and become balanced after some addiction counseling with others that had the same issue(it was quite obvious some there were 7's as well btw imo). I have never been more alive since breaking free of this vice of 'gluttony' in regards to gambling.
Which leads to our 7 virtue of Sobriety.

If you wanted to share, what are any of your experiences currently or in the past of this 'Gluttony' vice? And if over it, relate how you came to sobriety. And what did you learn along the way? :proud:

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Btw, we can dissect Gluttony in its different forms, and the definition of sobriety in relation to 7's and in general. How we can become addictive as 7's at times and the 'pleasure vs. pain' dynamic, fleeing from painful emotional issues to something fun and exciting(for me it was gambling). How boredom or stagnation can play a part in this as well.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
I just have a hard time stopping what I'm doing, like partying, I never thought I needed me time, or a person can do too much in relation to the rest of the world. Gambling, I kicked the act of betting on games,but, I think it has manifested itself in other ways, i.e. the need to accept every challenge as something to chase.

By the way, as an artsy guy, I like your avatar and signature. Peter Gabriel is awesome. Steam now there's a video...

Reactions: cityofcircuits

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good thread. Will address it when I figure out how much I want posted on the internet :)
Haha thanx, yeah I understand, hell this is probably the most open I've ever been on Perc and I've been on here for over 2 years now.

I also understand there's quite the variety of things to be gluttonous with or addicted to and......yeah I see where some don't want that out there haha, I get it.
I mean....talking about your vices? So I'm not surprised how few posts this thread has. Of course its easy to talk on threads that are fun, like why we party and such....a lot of response there right away.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I seem to over-indulge in just about everything. I feel that most people will try something they like and perhaps do that particular thing in the future in moderation. I'll try a steak and end up eating 4 because it's is the best steak I've ever eaten. I'll have a one night stand in a club one Saturday night and the next week I'll go out clubbing every single night. I'll get into a complete stranger's car because I was asked if I wanted to have a joint.

Everything with me is in excess and I find myself experiencing a fuller life because of it... at least in my eyes.

I've only just discovered Enneagrams (and MBTI for that matter), but from what I've seen it's all pretty spot-on the money.

·
Registered
503 Posts
So i'm pretty sure i'm a 7, but i don't want to post it until i'm positive. but to answer your question...
I always kind of knew I was easily addicted to things, so I've yet to drink, and I will never smoke-because giving up things is so much harder than starting them.

Gluttony has reared it's head differently in my life. When I was younger I read voraciously, I would sit down with a book and basically read it until it was done-even if it took all day and all night. I could read 12 hours straight without a second thought. This might not sound too bad, but one day I realized I was letting my whole life pass by while i read books on people having adventures, when in reality I wanted to have my own adventures. I'm trying to be much more active now, but I went through a mini depression for a while, where I hated myself (I believe I switched to type 1? I read type 7s do that when they get out of control?), but I'm much better now. ^^

·
Registered
790 Posts
sry for long post ;^_^ I got on a role.

My life was out of control before I finally found sobriety this year. Before I found sobriety, I expected to get everything I wanted, I wanted so much, I wanted instant gratification, I abused things to try to make me feel good, I craved new intense experiences and sought them out at the expense of risking so much in my life, I just didn't care. I wanted intense intimate relationships with people until I got bored, then moved on.. I was so selfish. But I would have never thought or admitted I was selfish. I thought I was a great person and everyone else was just selfish. It was all pretty much innocent.. I didn't want to hurt others, I just felt entitled I guess... I really was so unhealthy...

I partied so much and did so much crazy stuff that I'm surprised I'm alive and whole today... I read a funny MBTI type description list once where ENFPs were "Most likely to run through a mine field and survive." I feel like this describes me exactly, but more so for my 7ness. I wanted the intensity and adventure of running through the mine field, and I didn't consider the consequences of anyone else or anything else. I left destruction in my wake out of the innocent desire of gluttony. I do say innocent because I never meant to hurt anyone. I just didn't know better at the time... I mean I did but I was so unhealthy that it didn't register... Like a kid who doesn't realize their impact on others.

But eventually it all caught up to me. An 8 I met finally put a stop to me thinking I could have whatever I wanted. When we were together I always thought I had control. I thought I could pick up and just leave when I wanted, like normal. Well, I started getting addicted to the 8, and everything about the 8. After a while I was completely hooked. But then I was conquered.. The 8 felt it was time to let go, and didn't look back. He rejected me... No one ever rejected me before...Then I looked back and realized I was never in control... he was in complete control the entire time.

I panicked. I wanted him but he wouldn't let me have him. He wouldn't let me have anything, no validation, no explanation, nothing. I went crazy. My life flipped over on its head. I was so childish.. I blamed him for all of my pain, I demanded respect and validation, I demanded explanations and fairness.. But this 8 wasn't having any of it. He withdrew completely.

I got depressed for 6 months. Like super fucking depressed. Think the lowest levels of 7, 4, and 9 combined all together. I contemplated suicide, an act I had always deemed selfish and weak... my brain was truly fucked up at that point. Normally I would run from all of my pain by going to parties and raves and finding new people to become intimate with(not necessarily sexual). But I was so low that I just stayed home all day. I stopped taking care of myself. I stopped eating and dropped down to 95 lbs. I didn't have a bed but could never get myself to buy one in the state I was, so I literally slept on a blanket on the floor for six months... So pathetic, I know. I cried every day, when I normally never cry about anything... I couldn't find joy, positivity, or motivation in anything. I didn't even want to go out to parties. I didn't want to see anyone else. I couldn't connect or make friends with anyone, even if I tried. I told everyone I wanted to go to their events thinking maybe I would feel like it at the time... but I flaked out on everything when the time came around. When I was with people, I felt so distant and out of place. I finally just stayed away from others because I didn't want to affect them with my stupid problems and unhappiness. It started affecting work... I was late and unproductive... I didn't know what to do. For some reason I couldn't pick myself up. I can't even remember what it felt like being that low, even though it was only back in January...

One day I just didn't set my alarm for work. I don't know why. An hour after I was supposed to be at work, my Sgt came to my house and knocked on my door. I woke up... oh fuck.... I answered the door.. I tried to explain myself but I just burst out crying. I told him everything. He was shocked, and concerned I wasn't eating and was sleeping on the floor. He had me get help. It was at that point I started turning my life around. It almost went 180, and I've never looked back.

I started taking action. I stopped making excuses for myself. I put every ounce of energy I had into making my basic life happy and stable. I bought healthy food and started exercising. I bought a damn bed. I started doing a lot of self discovery, mostly with MBTI and enneagram. I started finding answers. I started learning about myself and about other people. I started letting go of the past and forgiving myself. There was suddenly no room for guilt in my past. I started enjoying the present moment and appreciating all the little things life has to offer, things I always took for granted before. I no longer felt I would be happier somewhere else doing something else. I no longer had the lingering feeling of restlessness that I've had all my life. For the first time in my life I felt completely content, happy, and satisfied in the present moment.

I lost the desire to want to abuse parties. I started going out to the raves that I had so missed, but I truly had no desire to drink alcohol and lose myself. I looked back and realize the unhappiness and hangovers and destruction drinking had brought to my life wasn't worth indulging in feeling good for a few hours. I was around friends who weren't sober, but I was no longer envious. I'm so much more satisfied with the night being my sober, non-inebriated self. I enjoy the people, the place, the music, the environment, and everything else so much more... I love being in control of myself and being responsible for friends... I've never felt like more of an adult before. It's so liberating.

That's when I truly reached sobriety, and truly reached happiness. I realized that I can't run from pain. I have to confront it and accept it as a part of life. I have to learn from it and use it to make me grow healthier and stronger. I used all of my new found energy to start helping others. I reconnected with old friends and started encouraging them to make their lives better. I looked around and realized most people have average/unhealthy lives. They're satisfied with living their average/unhappy lives and never reach their full potential. It's a lot easier to just ignore you bad self than it is to confront it and improve yourself. I used my experience to realize that all people usually need is a little encouragement into doing some self-discovery. I started giving people the tools they needed to help themselves... and I've never felt better as a person in my life.

All of a sudden I watched friends use the tools and encouragement I gave them to transform their own lives... and it's a stable, lasting transformation... I feel I've finally realized my true potential; Helping other people realize their true potential. I have direction and purpose. I'm no longer lost.

This is my story of sobriety. I hope other 7s reach sobriety, as soon as they can... really, life is so much better when you take it in and enjoy it exactly as is. It's a lot easier said than done, I know... and I still struggle with the problems of being a 7 every day... Motivation and commitment are still a bit of a struggle haha, but 20 times less so. I'm wondering if it takes an experience as big as how the 8 impacted me to really grow towards true self-actualization... I'm sure there are many ways to it, though. But work hard towards it!! I know it's hard for 7s to put a lot of elbow grease into something, but life is 100 times better when you truly understand and accept the fears that drive you, and stop letting them control you <3

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@cata.lyst.rawr

Thank you so much for sharing your personal experiences!
The way you described how someone hurt you to where you
hid out from everyone,losing weight etc, yeah I've done exactly that.
Just a complete meltdown and no inspiration for anything in life.
I went overboard with things and was extremely selfish and destructive.

Eventually overcame it all and like you mentioned I still struggle with a few things related to my 7 nature.
But maybe we will always have these struggles but things are 100x better :)

This made my day catalyst :)

·
Registered
790 Posts
@cata.lyst.rawr

Thank you so much for sharing your personal experiences!
The way you described how someone hurt you to where you
hid out from everyone,losing weight etc, yeah I've done exactly that.
Just a complete meltdown and no inspiration for anything in life.
I went overboard with things and was extremely selfish and destructive.

Eventually overcame it all and like you mentioned I still struggle with a few things related to my 7 nature.
But maybe we will always have these struggles but things are 100x better :)

This made my day catalyst :)
No problem!! I really want everyone to work hard on conquering their fears :) Life is a lot easier now, isn't' it?

Their lives, and everyone else's lives around them become so much better haha. I'm no longer terrorizing people because I'm unhealthy lol.

Makes me wonder how I'll handle future hard times? Oh well, I'm ready for them :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts