Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Banned
17,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
- generally, the 7w6 is more grandiose and fantasy prone; the 7w8 is more grounded and earthy. 7w6s tend to have wild, fantastic imaginations while the 7w8s desires and thoughts tend to be more realistic and material in nature. the 7w6 dreams of traveling to far off magical lands while the 7w8's desires run more towards the "sex drugs and rock n roll" side of life. as such, the 7w6 is likely to be criticized as unrealistic or childish while the 7w8 is more likely to be criticized as base or shallow. compare Peter Pan to Quentin Tarantino
- 7w6 struggles more with the avoidant and over thinking aspects of type 7; 7w8 struggles more with the impulsive side of 7. 7w6s don't generally think or care much about how people feel about them, but their 6 side will have a tendency to look back, think "oh no! did they have a point? did I miss something?" and they are more apt to trap themselves in a "mental hamster wheel" of sorts. the 7w8 on the other hand has a default strategy of "screw it, let's roll bitches!" and are more likely to jump into less than ideal situations and suffer consequences because they didn't think things through long enough.
- 7w8s thrive on conflict and playful aggression. 7w6s can generally hold their own in conflict and even enjoy it sometimes, but the 7w8 thrives on intense conflict whereas, after a point, the 7w6 will say "this isn't fun anymore" and attempt to leave. (conflict for a 7w6 is generally more of a means to an end, whereas it sometimes is the end for a 7w8 looking for "amusement")
- the 7w8s interaction style tends to be edgier and have more of a "rile people up" style to it than the 7w6, who has a more delicate touch. 7w8s by nature are very intense people, and this can be rattling to those with more delicate sensibilities
- 7w8s are intensity junkies by nature. they tend to be attracted to things like extreme sports, rough housing/sparring and generally don't mind a little pain. the 7w6 on the other hand has a much lower pain tolerance, and it is something they tend to avoid whenever possible.

more to come

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Awesome! I've been having a problem figuring out if I'm a 7w6 or 7w8... I guess that 7w8 is really my 8w7?

Reactions: Swordsman of Mana

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I'm a 7w6, but sometimes I like to rile people up...but not in an obvious way (prefer to do it underhandedly).
Examples:
-I like having patience to a fault where people think 'are you just going to let people walk all over you?'
-I like being nice to a fault where people think the same as the above.
-I like dressing in my tomboy style so that people think 'She needs a make over', and where I stubbornly think 'There ain't NO chance of THAT happening my china!'

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Well, guess that just proves that I'm 7w6 then. But I don't tend to have a wild imagination of 'crazy' fantasies. In fact, although I do have fantasies where I escape from reality, I also have fantasies where I escape INTO reality - just another portion of it. For example, I dream about going to another country. I dream about the day I can walk out of the university with a bachelor's degree in hand. I dream of the day I can eat yakisoba in a traditional soba restaurant, or have green tea in a tea house!

Surprisingly enough, it's a realistic dream to me. I know for a fact that I can see it realized. It will just take a lot of work, and I'm willing to put a lot of effort and energy into seeing it come true.

·
Banned
17,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Elaboration please :D (But how are they intense? and rattling others - in what ways?)
7w8s like to get a response out of people, test them and size them up in ways that the 7w6 typically doesn't engage in more than subtly.

·
Banned
1,824 Posts
These are some interesting insights, as always--although I'm definitely more 7w6 according to this, which I'm not sure is the case.

I assumed an 8-wing because

- I don't really need other people and in fact find them to be somewhat encumbering.
- I am extremely self-reliant and have difficulty showing vulnerability, reaching out, or asking for help
- I tend to be quite realistic about most things.
- Apparently, I'm really "commanding" and "dominating"
- I walk around with hedgehog quills on my back and am willing to shatter egos with the truth as I see it.

That said, I'm not overly fond of conflict unless it's inherently playful and don't necessarily like pissing people off. Darn it, Swordsman, you're making me rethink everything. XD

·
Banned
17,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
These are some interesting insights, as always--although I'm definitely more 7w6 according to this, which I'm not sure is the case.
I assumed an 8-wing because
- I don't really need other people and in fact find them to be somewhat encumbering.
Self preservation instinct (especially Sp/Sx), Id core, 8 fix,

- I am extremely self-reliant and have difficulty showing vulnerability, reaching out, or asking for help
same as above

- I tend to be quite realistic about most things.
not type related

- Apparently, I'm really "commanding" and "dominating"
Id, 8 fix, 784 tritype

- I walk around with hedgehog quills on my back and am willing to shatter egos with the truth as I see it.
not type related

That said, I'm not overly fond of conflict unless it's inherently playful and don't necessarily like pissing people off. Darn it, Swordsman, you're making me rethink everything. XD
that was the intention (not for you specifically, but it was the intention). I wanted to make a comparison less based on stereotypes because all of the descriptions out their make 7w6 seem like pathetic, butterfly chasing, conflict avoidant entertainers. remember 7w6 is still in the assertive triad.
I would take into consideration that if you type as a 7w8 with an 8, are having doubts about your wing and have even a moderate connection to 6, you are probably 7w6.

·
Banned
1,824 Posts
that was the intention (not for you specifically, but it was the intention). I wanted to make a comparison less based on stereotypes because all of the descriptions out their make 7w6 seem like pathetic, butterfly chasing, conflict avoidant entertainers. remember 7w6 is still in the assertive triad.
I would take into consideration that if you type as a 7w8 with an 8, are having doubts about your wing and have even a moderate connection to 6, you are probably 7w6.
You might be right.

Edit: Although I do chase butterflies.

·
Banned
17,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You might be right.
I mistyped as 7w8 for a loooooong time because of the stereotypes. even to this day I probably still correlated Enneagram too strongly with "personality" (even so, a 7w6>8w7>4w5 is still a pretty naturally assertive type)

Edit: also, lots of 7w6s (especially Sp/Sx) don't care a great deal about what other people think. some do, but overall, it's more "oh no, they don't have a point do they?". 90% of the time, I couldn't care less about someone's opinion, but when I'm feelings uneasy about something or going into a mental hamster wheel, I tend to seek external/social means of security when available. this is more like a 7w6 or 6w7; a 7w8 is more likely to ignore the problem and move on. both of these approaches can be either detrimental or advantageous depending on the situation and how one goes about doing them.

·
Banned
1,824 Posts
Lots of good points. It doesn't help that 7w6s always have Robin Williams as their poster child. My main gripe with 7w6 is that they sound like nervously overactive monkeys, and I'm sure--as hell--not that. The 7w6s I've known irl really have been bubbly and people-oriented, though. Still, I guess a 1- or 8-fix and a 4-fix would tend to mitigate that. Meh, just finding the core is enough for me. Further insights will arise when the time comes.

Thanks for the thoughts.

·
Banned
17,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Lots of good points. It doesn't help that 7w6s always have Robin Williams as their poster child. My main gripe with 7w6 is that they sound like nervously overactive monkeys, and I'm sure--as hell--not that. The 7w6s I've known irl really have been bubbly and people-oriented, though. Still, I guess a 1- or 8-fix and a 4-fix would tend to mitigate that. Meh, just finding the core is enough for me. Further insights will arise when the time comes.
Thanks for the thoughts.
- true dat! I am not a nervous, overactive monkey in the least (and this is also how the stereotypical 7w6 is portrayed).
- the image that descriptions of 7w6 portray is this nervous, submissive entertainer who acts like a complete imbecile for the entertainment of others, like a character from a sit com (I am a 7w6 and this is something I will NEVER do)
- being Sp/Sx while the stereotypical 7w6 is So/Sx to the max also contributes. Sp/Sx is more inwardly intense, self focused

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
This thread has been crazy helpful. I've thought I was a 7w8 but now I'm pretty sure I'm a 7w6.

Does my tritype (in sig) correlate to such a problem?

·
Banned
17,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This thread has been crazy helpful. I've thought I was a 7w8 but now I'm pretty sure I'm a 7w6.

Does my tritype (in sig) correlate to such a problem?
yes
- you have an 8 fix, this can make you look wing 8
- 3 is also an Id/assertive type

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
This thread is so awesome. Describes my typical 7w6 nature, which I mistyped as 6w5. I'm too impulsive to be a 6w5, and neither I'm so insecure. Probably the questioning part is because of my 7w6 wing. Maybe I had a little anxiety disorder. Also I've that 8 fix, which made me wonder whether if I'm a cp 6.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
- the image that descriptions of 7w6 portray is this nervous, submissive entertainer who acts like a complete imbecile for the entertainment of others, like a character from a sit com
...But that's like my dream occupation - waltzing around as a complete clown! Only I'm more likely to piss em all off :(

·
Banned
3,025 Posts
A difference I've noticed between the two is in the style of confidence they seem to have. Both types, being core sevens, are generally confident, but 7w6s tend to simply accept it as another part of themselves, or seem quite oblivious or indifferent to it. The confidence is apparent from the way they put themselves out there and the way they seem comfortable around others, but it's more of a subtle undercurrent, something that's clearly present, but not obvious. They're more relaxed with it, and are focused more on other things.

7w8s tend to project their confidence and have fun with it, playing around and generally giving off a more cocksure aura where we're clearly enjoying ourselves, but in a less accommodating and more brazen, self-focused kind of way. Generally, if a 7w8 isn't doing this in some way, they're detaching from the situation and carefully thinking things through (aka scheming :wink:). They're a little more in-your-face about it, though it's a playful aggression that intensifies or reduces itself depending on the situation.

It's pretty difficult to fully explain the way the two styles look in person, but the mindset is:

7w6: "I'm me, and I'm awesome! Let's have some fun!"
7w8: "I'm me, and I'm awesome. Come at me, bro! :cool:"

·
Registered
18 Posts
A difference I've noticed between the two is in the style of confidence they seem to have. Both types, being core sevens, are generally confident, but 7w6s tend to simply accept it as another part of themselves, or seem quite oblivious or indifferent to it. The confidence is apparent from the way they put themselves out there and the way they seem comfortable around others, but it's more of a subtle undercurrent, something that's clearly present, but not obvious. They're more relaxed with it, and are focused more on other things.

7w8s tend to project their confidence and have fun with it, playing around and generally giving off a more cocksure aura where we're clearly enjoying ourselves, but in a less accommodating and more brazen, self-focused kind of way. Generally, if a 7w8 isn't doing this in some way, they're detaching from the situation and carefully thinking things through (aka scheming :wink:). They're a little more in-your-face about it, though it's a playful aggression that intensifies or reduces itself depending on the situation.

It's pretty difficult to fully explain the way the two styles look in person, but the mindset is:

7w6: "I'm me, and I'm awesome! Let's have some fun!"
7w8: "I'm me, and I'm awesome. Come at me, bro! :cool:"

It might well be related to the confidence issue you mentioned but I have sensed that the 6 wing makes the 7 care a bit more what others think. The 7w8 does not care so much but is more straightforward knowing that haters gonna hate and lovers gonna love. Also, 7w8 seems more craving and demanding to the extent that it may seem sassy and selfish. 7w8 is tangy, 7w6 seems much sweeter to me. IMO, 7w8 is the one who has more troubles with other people and does not even mind that. On the other hand, many 7w6s seem very popular and loved. 7w8s are more respected than loved.

·
Banned
3,025 Posts
It might well be related to the confidence issue you mentioned but I have sensed that the 6 wing makes the 7 care a bit more what others think. The 7w8 does not care so much but is more straightforward knowing that haters gonna hate and lovers gonna love. Also, 7w8 seems more craving and demanding to the extent that it may seem sassy and selfish. 7w8 is tangy, 7w6 seems much sweeter to me. IMO, 7w8 is the one who has more troubles with other people and does not even mind that. On the other hand, many 7w6s seem very popular and loved. 7w8s are more respected than loved.
What I've noticed with both is that 7w8s are more oblivious to what other people think about them, preferring to focus on those who contribute positive experiences overall, while 7w6s will generally consider everyone's opinions on them to some degree. When people don't like them, 7w8s are more like "Ok, screw you then", and cut the person out while focusing on people who bring a more positive atmosphere, while 7w6s are more like "Whaat? Why?", and will be more affected by it. Both are usually pretty popular, since both are a lot of fun, but 7w8s typically have more people hating on them, as well as a bunch of love/hate relationships with people, while 7w6s, I've noticed, are more universally liked. Usually, if someone doesn't like a 7w6, they consider them annoying and/or weird, while the most common complaint with 7w8s is that they're too cocky.

Archetypal 7w6: Phoebe Buffay
Archetypal 7w8: Steve Stifler

1 - 20 of 104 Posts