Personality Cafe banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently took the Enneagram test, I'm a 7w6 and I'm definitely an INFp. I feel like this is somewhat an unusual combo that I have. I've felt very often that people don't know how to take me the closer they get to me, because socially I'm one creature and to my close intimate friends I'm another. But I can definitely be the life of the party on accident. Somehow much of the time I become the center of attention because my goal in social settings is to optimize the amount of fun I have. It's weird because at the same time I thrive off of this energy in the moment, it can make me feel incredibly self-conscious and it drains me quickly and too much of that energy can leave me feeling irritable and in desperate need for a dark corner to hide in. So I'm trying to become more in tune with that balance.

Much of the times I just do things and say things socially simply for my own amusement and my own entertainment value. However it's very common for me to feel overwhelmed by my "persona". It's a difficult thing to balance. If I overdo my "Entertainer" side, I can have major anxiety issues and don't want to talk to anyone for like a month. I used to think that I was just being fake in social settings, but it really has way more to do with if I make the decision to party I'm all about having the most fun possible and bringing joy to as many people around me as possible. And its VERY important to me that everyone feels included and not left out of the fun!

So reading about 7w6 is helping me to realize that's just how I process experiences. But this is why most acquaintances THiNK I'm an extrovert, but I'm actually REAlLy just an "Entertaining" INFp. If someone tries to really get to know ME beyond the "Entertainer" side of me and I'm not feeling it, I'll either just try to be super jokey or even down right mean in a joking kind of way and if that doesn't work I can turn cold and aloof in a millisecond.

So question is, if you're an INFP and 7w6 how do you find balance?

Because my life is so incredibly busy between being self-employed, volunteering, socializing and trying to really be there for the people I deeply care about. It's been a HUGE challenge for me to not swiftly head toward a nervous breakdown! Oh wait....maybe that's happened already? But whatever, now I'm trying to balance it out with mandatory solitary walks or running which I take great delight in and mandatory solitary daily "dance your pants off" time haha. Along with writing. Writing has always been one of the most important things in my life. But yeah....enough about me....what about you?

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
I was interested to see if other INFP 7s were going to appear on this thread.

However, Pandering, I can relate to a lot of things you say.

It sounds like you've found your balance. I think for me the most important thing I've cultivated and still cultivating is patience and focus. They go hand in hand in my opinion. Also, I try not to spread myself out too thin. Taking on more responsibilities always appears exciting at first, but over-extending yourself is a good way not to follow through with any of your responsibilities. I know there's always the tendency to believe we can do everything and anything at the same time, but this is a recipe for burn-out.

I'm still trying to find my balance. I find it difficult at times. For me I'm usually intensely all-in whatever it is I'm doing at the expense of nurturing the relationships with the people I love at times.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi there! I spent the whole of yesterday trawling through all the introverted 7 threads in this sub-forum and it's so nice to see others I can relate to! I'm a 7w6 SP/SX and my SO side rarely comes out, it depends on my mood.

I'm also pretty stand-offish(unintentionally) when I meet new people as well, and I've actually received a lot of feedback where people say I'm 'scary', 'arrogant', etc, when they first meet me. My boss(i think he's a 5w6) recently let slip that he doesn't think he can make lame jokes around me because I'm too 'smart', something I got super bummed over because I F*CKING LOVE LAME JOKES!

It's a bit of a duality with me as well. While I have this 'serious' side of me, there's a flipside that is very enthusiastic and personable when I feel that I can literally 'let my freak flag fly' and people then find me pretty intense and crazy. I'm pretty sure I've turned off and intrigued an equal amount of people in my life. Hahaha!

@Pandering: I can totally relate to being drained and self-conscious in social situations. I'm very much a hermit a majority of the time and would prefer to only be interacting with a few people instead of large groups. But there are also times I want to go out and party the night away, and even then, my SP/SX side is more than happy to go nuts and dance on my own on the dance floor!

So reading about 7w6 is helping me to realize that's just how I process experiences. But this is why most acquaintances THiNK I'm an extrovert, but I'm actually REAlLy just an "Entertaining" INFp. If someone tries to really get to know ME beyond the "Entertainer" side of me and I'm not feeling it, I'll either just try to be super jokey or even down right mean in a joking kind of way and if that doesn't work I can turn cold and aloof in a millisecond.

This paragraph of yours is something that rings very true to me as well and I'm very sure people around me notice this but, for some reason, don't call me out on it. Haha!

Like downsowf said, you sound like you've found balance! I think alone time is great for a 7, especially when creating something comes out of it. It's fun, isn't it? Hehe! I enjoy creating as well, with drawing being my main hobby. It's a great way to slow down the activity in my brain when I put pencil to paper and just be with my self.

Something else I find sobering(LOL) is talking to friends who are also interested in the Enneagram and personality typing. It's great to talk about self-awareness and nitpick what I've been consciously and unconsciously doing in my life! :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello.

Apparently I am INFp, INFJ, 7w6, next 4w3, and last 9w8 . I have had a lot of battles with this because I like to think of myself as an extrovert because I am often getting my friends to go out and do things around a lot of people, but my experience with the event is usually pretty personal.

When people first meet me, they think I'm a really big extrovert because I have no trouble going up to people I don't know and asking them a question. However, when it comes to more personal matters like flirting with someone I'm interested in, I won't let myself be too outgoing or showy in front of them for my friends because of my interest.

I'm not afraid of getting in front of a crowd, but getting intimate with someone publically when I don't already know them is difficult for me.

I identify with being stand-offish and people thinking I'm scary, ect. A lot of my best friends have admitted that when they met me they thought I hated them, though it hasen't been true. I also identify with "dance your pants off time." That ALWAYS cheers me up and I think it's why I like going out in loud groups to begin with. As long as there's no judgement, I LOVE to extrovert. If it's a judgemental environment, or the judgement is more intimate, I don't like it as much.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm an INFJ/P (usually J) with a 7w6 enneagram. It's a strange combination. At the core I'm very shy, introspective and have a rich inner world, but I need to be around people as long as it's not too-too social and only involves a handful of people. I'm comfortable on the stage and making an idiot of myself, but as "Katie" it's much more complex.

I am extremely sensitive to others' energies and can't be around negative people. A lot of people come to me for advice or to complain, and I don't mind, but I often need time alone to recuperate if it's particularly intense. Where the 7w6 comes in is the funny part. As a means of protecting myself, I easily pass as an extrovert when I'm at a party or gathering or performing onstage, but for me it's almost like playing a character. If I can step out of myself and play the role of "good-time Katie," that's how I get through whatever anxiety I have in a social situation. I'll be the absolute life of the party if it's with the right people, but need like a week or two to recover afterward, or just remember how fun it was. I have a wide, wide circle of acquaintances who all say I'm "one of their best friends," but only very few really know the real me. Maybe less than 10 total, and three of them are my immediate family. I like myself and I love my friends, but I'm super private.

I guess the downside is, I became really selective of who I let in, and I've been way too sensitive to people who are judgmental. I've become very adept at anticipating what people expect out of me and temporarily become that when I'm in their company. I'm different around every person, usually depending on their moods and situations. If I'm around a bunch of theatre people, I'm the belle of the ball. If I'm at a party where I only know like 2 people, I'm in the corner quietly petting the dog or blending into the background.

Only one person has ever directly called me out on my chameleon behavior, saying "it's weird to know the real you and how much you change when you have a party." I remember being offended at the time, but he was right. It's too bad he was gay, or I probably would have married him. For years, he was the only non-family member who ever knew the real me. Even my ex-boyfriend didn't know the real me, and I never 100% let go with him, because every time I opened up to him, or attempted to, he would shut me down or wave me off. There was one situation I was working through and trying to talk to him about it, and he said "I'm your boyfriend, not your therapist." Instead of breaking it off, I just thought "you're lucky to have a boyfriend at all!" and just adjusted to suit his needs. It was a very bad situation. I'm glad I eventually ended it.

I've recently met someone who knows the real me, and I must really like him because I've already let him in my home, taken him to meet my family, and told him way more than I've ever told most other people, including my ex. I'm not used to this, and I normally hate to feel vulnerable, but I trust him inherently and he brings out my more extroverted qualities quite easily. I'd like to marry this one if he's into it. But I often feel very isolated. It's a tough cycle I'm trying to break out of.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I would guess that most people who are introverted and 7 have 9 and/or 4 in their tritype. Honestly I just can't see a 738 introvert, or even a 721 introvert, for that matter. Probably you even have to have both 9 and 4 in there - or perhaps there could be 741 introverts, but a 748 introvert seems unlikely to me.

I myself am 794 and either ENFP or ENTP, but the E/I dichotomy with me is really, really close. I can spend days alone, as long as I have something to learn about or enjoy. But I do lean a bit more towards the E.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hello! My name is Jacob. I'm digging up a fairly old thread but I'm also a sx/sp 7w6 (4w3 9w1), and an E/I NFP. I've never been able to find any other sx/sp 7s and I would really like to connect with some! I can't send messages yet because I'm new but if anyone else is interested in connecting with sx/sp 7s please send me a message! :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts