Personality Cafe banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
8-ego reward system theory

1 Id (basic driving forces, survival instinct)
2 Gender ego (Sexual ego + Gender specific psychology)
3 Temperament (SJ, SP, NT, NF ==> Myers-Briggs)
4 2 others (The two MBTI leftover characteristics not your temperament)
5 Primary enneagram type (your type)
6 Secondary Enneagram type (and it's wing)
7 Instinctual variant 1 (primary)
8 Instinctual variant 2 (secondary)

Explanation and general interaction

Ego = a reward-system that gives us emotional driving fuel

Many of us lie in constant battle with our ego. And so we should. The ego is actually pulling us, guiding us and giving us focus in an andless sea of options. It gives us a few narrow possibilities (when really they are endless) and allows us to just run with it.

From a reproductive perspective, our egos are vastly more intelligent than our brain. The 8-ego driving forces will guide any person toward reproductive success.

As psychological health drops, ego-activity rises. As psychological health increases, ego-activity drop of. BUT, there is a certain level of activity the ego will NOT drop below. All of you reading this can probably testify to the inverse relationship between psychological health and ego-activity. The highest achievers in this world all "had something to prove".

You might also testify that no matter how high you climb on that ladder of psychological well-being, the ego is still there, giving us drive, wanting, and emotional fuel for taking action. People who have set out and conquered their ultimate goal (be it executive, professional artist, to be an outstanding mother, or becoming a normal drug-free citizen) can attribute this

WHEN our goal has been reached, we feel awesome, then set new goal. Like right away.

"When we owned the goal, it is no longer a goal. We owned it."
–Doctor Paul Dobransky

This feeling of awesomeness is a feedback mechanism to encourage future goal-reaching activity. Our ego will not allow us to just stop. Just sit with it. Whatever you believe in, whatever you feel good about doing, that is what you need to keep doing.

Our ego ensures the KEEP DOING

Reaching a major goal, we feel complacent for a few days, reaching a mental high. Then set our for something new. It seems for most people, self-esteem is achieved and maintained this way. We all want self-esteem.

Now our genes will use feelings like this to enure the spreading of our genes. No good feeling in our body is there without a genetic purpose. The purpose might not always be as relevant today as in the caveman days, but all things HAD a purpose.

Our genes does not want us to be happy. Our genes don't care. YOU want to be happy. YOU care.

From a genetic, evolutionary perspective, the only hapiness you are allowed to feel is when you have DONE something to encourage the continuation of your genetic heritage.

Many of us lie in constant battle with our ego. And so we should. The ego is actually pulling us, guiding us and giving us focus in an andless sea of options.
–Mooncutter

I've realized that every MAIN defining characteristic comes with a subsequent biochemical reward system in the brain. Basically, the only reason it feels good to workout is because it promotes your genes. Why do you think sex feels good?

Why do you think taking a shit feels good? Because if taking a shit didn't come with a strong biochemical release overshadowing the grossness of it all, people would be less inclined to take a shit. And some wouldn't, and they get constipated.

There are things (reward systems fully in place), that WE ALL get a chemical release in the brain from doing. Like emotional bonding, esuring safety, moving toward goals (slow biochemical release) and finally reaching them (strong biochemical release). And the ones mentioned above. They are the same for all, and I've put them into the Id ego, as defined by Freud. I think he does a good job defining the Id, I agree with his definition. Now that is 1 of the 8 egos I'm about to present here.

Ego = a reward system in your brain to ensure the satification of it

This works why? Have you ever experienced a conflict between what society tells you, and what your ego(s) are telling you RIGHT NOW. Go talk you that woman right NOW. Go fuck RIGHT NOW.

That is your reward system compelling you to action, because you want the reward it has in store for you

Often we are in conflict because society has its agenda. And you have yours. Conflict. You GENES (for males) want to have many children with many women. That is worst-case scenario from a societal perspective.

Many morals are actually present to mess your your inherent reward systems, built and refined over millions of years. Some men resist this kind of external "reward system altering" – in comes the Bad Boy, the Jerk, the self-absorbed prick. The female SEXUAL EGO knows this, and feels incredibly compelled by these men. And wants them. Because then their children too, may resist this kind of reward-system altering.

That is ego number 2. Our sexual ego. There is a male sexual ego, and a female sexual ego, each perfectly designed to further its agenda. In evolutionary psychology of mating this is called "the war of the sexes". I won't go into it, but it has many aspects to it and is super interesting.

Away from pain and toward pleasure
A common thread among all humans is that we move away from pain and toward pleasure. Pleasure in this context means long-term gratification as well, not just short-term kicks.

Now, some people have what I call a 80/20 build. They are the opportunistic creatures of this world. 80% of their activity if focused around getting pleasure. And 20% to avoid pain. The temperament SP's in Myers-Briggs tend to fall into this category.

Other have the reverse 20/80 build. 20% of their energy is spent toward achieving pleasure. 80% toward avoiding pain. SJ's might fall into this category, with their (at times) pessimistic and not to forget realistic outlook on life.

And then we got the balanced 50/50 person. Just center, right in the middle.

These are the three main archetypes. Of course they can be more extreme leaning to over 90% on one side. Whatever our number is, what we DO have in common is that we move away from pain and towards pleasure.

Pleasure can be long-term well-being stemming from the fact that you eat a great breakfeast each morning, or that you really care about your familly and friends. Or the short-term instant kick from extreme sports, gambling, violence, drugs and alcohol.

So we move away from pain and toward pleasure. All humans follow this pinciple.

It makes sense then that evolution would literally install programs in our head to reward us when we are doing something good for our genes.

This is where all 8 ego's come in and compete for our attention. WE have to meddle between all these forces. Should I please my Self-Preservation instinct and go workout? Or my social instinct and go socialize? My primary enneagram type 7 and watch standup comedy on youtube all night? What about my secondary 8-ish quality and need for assertion?

How about my NT-like quest for knowledge? How about my J's desire for specifics or my introverted desire to be alone, truly undisturbed? How about my Id's need to reproduce, my survival instinct while doing so (hitting the safe spots in town) or my male sexual ego saying I ought rule every woman walking this earth?

These are LITERALLY forces pulling you different directions. The ego is actually pulling us, guiding us and giving us focus in an andless sea of options. It gives us a few narrow possibilities to home in on, as oppose to being lost at sea.

Id
I would define the Id as the part of personality structure which contains our basic drives.

What does this boil down to? Think survival instinct. Basic drives yes, but especially the survival instinct. The survival instinct will ensure your immediate survival, and long-term survival as well. The survival instinct might compel you to have lots of your favourite food in the freezer, drive a physically large car, or to own lots of peronal property. Or simply have money, and hence the influence and power that comes with that. Even friends can be a survival instinct imperative.

The Id works according to the pleasure principle. In Freudian psychology, the pleasure principle is the psychoanalytic concept describing people seeking pleasure and avoiding suffering (pain) in order to satisfy their biological and psychological needs.

It is said that the Id "knows no judgements of value: no good and evil, no morality — that, in our view, is all there is in the Id."

This definition, as you see, is compatible with the evolutionary aspect of my 8-ego theory.

Gender ego

a) Sexual ego
b) Gender specific psychology

Intro

The gender ego conscists of two parts. Part one is our gender specific sexual ego, which has a male part and a female part, depending on what sex you are.

Part two is what I call gender specific psychology. It is a set of psychologic inclinations that comes with our gender, non-sexual in nature. Both part one and part two are different for men and women, gender specific that is.

End intro

a) Part one, Sexual ego

Male Sexual ego
Basically men dream of dominating all women walking this earth. He is the sole purpose for their existence, that kind of thing. It contains dominance, aggression and general godlike qualities. That is the male sexual ego.

Simple definition: The male sexual ego thrives on recognition and validation of its prowess

The female sexual ego
Works a little different. It thrives on attention and implicit sexual power. The female sexual ego would command an army of 10 000 men with the slightest movement of her hand. Exposing cleavage would dumbfound an entire nation and anything more the entire world. The "power factor" is not as strong in women as it is in men, but it is there. Keyword is here is ATTENTION.

Simple definition: The female sexual ego thrives on ATTENTION, and the ability to command men using her power as a sexual female

b) Part two, Gender specific psychology

Key here is that women have a higher need for connectedness. A Higher need to be a part sof something greater than themselves.

Something Doctor Paul, discusses in his self-improvement program MindOS, is that executive women, women at the top of their careers really suffers from the loneliness up there. Men, he says, will feel "yea it's a little lonely, but at least I'm the top guy!" *smile*.

I believe this need "to be a part sof something greater than yourself" is there to compel women to have children. Mothers will say "it felt so good, finally I was not the most important thing in the universe anymore". With relief and enthusiasm in their voice. Like a burden being dropped.

Women feel good at excelling at everything defined as feminine. Men feel equally good about excelling at everything defined by culture as maculine.

Temperament

Here I would just follow David Keirseys temperament theory, and his general outline for how each character temperament collects self-esteem.

The hedonic artisans, SP's
The hedonic artisans reinforce a strong, positive self-image from being
a) Artistic
b) Audacious
c) Adaptable

The proprietary guardians SJ's
The Proprietary guardians reinforce a strong, positive self-image from being
a) Dependable
b) Beneficient
c) Respectable

The ethical idealists NF's
The ethical idealists reinforce a strong, positive self-image from being
a) Empathetic
b) Benevolent
c) Authentic

The dialectical rationals NT's
The dialectical rationals reinforce a strong, positive self-image from being
a) Ingenious
b) Autonomous
c) Resolute

2 others
These are simply the two letters NOT your temperament. You might be an ESTP. The two other would be E + T. Extroversion comes with its own reward system, as a general rule rewarding stimuli, as this ENERGIZES you. THinking would reward you for cause-and-effect thinking and navigating the inanimate world.

Thinking would also reward you every time you arrive at a conclusion using logic, and not your own emotions as a navigation device. Feelers would feel a pang of anxiety had they DISCARDED what their emotions were telling them, leaving let say their own emotional compass out of the decision-making process. Feelers have an inner emotional compass guiding the ethics of their decisions and are rewarded with a biochemical release of (feelgood) chemicals in the brain whenever they follow it.

Primary and Secondary enneagram type

Our primary enneagram type
Our primary enneagram type is an ego of its own. A very strong ego at that. Our primary enneagram type might be the single strongest force pulling us in its direction. It is strong because it also holds the greatest reward, in the form of chemicals stored in the brain. Yay!

Our secondary enneagram type
Our secondary enneagram type is also an ego of its own. With a reward structure specific for that enneagram type. It is our wing, so it is not as strong as our primary.

I will provide a very basic chart explaining this. It is called the: Basic Desire/Fear & Biochemical Feedback Map for all types

Names
1 The Reformer
2 The Helper
3 The Achiever
4 The Individualist
5 The Investigator
6 The Troubleshooter
7 The Enthusiast
8 The Challanger
9 The Peacemaker

Basic Desire
1 Wants to be perfect
2 Wants to be of use
3 Wants to be successful
4 Wants to feel complete
5 Want to be left alone
6 Wants to be safe
7 Wants to have fun now
8 Want to have power
9 Want to just "be"

Basic Fear
1 Fears not being perfect
2 Fears not being useful
3 Fears not being successful
4 Fears not being special
5 Fears being fully exposed
6 Fears being unsafe
7 Fears pain
8 Fears being powerless
9 Fears conflict/confrontation

Biochemical feedback map

a) Slow biochemical high
b) Intense biochemical high

1 a) Achieving perfection
b) Having acheived perfection

2 a) Performing service
b) Externally acknowledged service

3 a) Working towards success
b) Having achieved it

4 a) Low emotional state ==> high emotional manic state
b) Intense emotions

5 a) Intake of any kind of data
b) Situational: Zero data output, full data input

6 a) Having knowledge and control of ones surroundings
b) Feeling completely safe

7 a) Being in a fun setting
b) Laughing hard

8 a) Being in control
b) Fighting: Showcasing power

9 a) Being comfortable
b) Being "spaced out"

Text below will explain the difference between the Slow biochemical high and the Intense biochemical high.

Start text

The Enneagram is basically our ego. The ego gives us emotional fuel. If it stops, we become complacent like an addict just high on a shot of heroin. Basically no desire to be or do anything.

Now, the egostructure, the source of our emotional fuel, feeds us rewards for different things. Different egos reward different things. A 7 get a stronger biochemical high (release of well-being chemicals in the brain) than another type laughing. 4's and 8's also, in my view, get a strong boost from the intensity of emotions like laughing.

For 8's, this reward does NOT apply to sadness or mourning or crying. But 4's get a boost from that. 7's ONLY get the stronger boost from FUN, and not anger like the 8, or low, negative feelings like the 4.

The slow biochemical high is the reward our brain gets (originally set up by the ego) for doing something the ego approves of. It does not have to be intense, like for 7, he/she doesn't have to explicitly laugh to get that "approval award" from the brain. Just being in a fun setting is good enough.

The train of thought goes: this is where I need to be. This is right.

A 5 that takes in data, is rewarded more than any other type doing the same thing. It doesn't have to be perfectly quiet, it doesn't have to be perfectly private, just reading a book gives the 5 a stronger biochemical reward (release in the brain) than the same action does for other types. It is the ego rewarding them. They get the overbearing sense that this is right, this is what I need to be doing.

Now for the intense biochemical high, it's basically a fast pang intense reward. It is remembered well, as all emotional spikes are. 4's get this reward for all kinds of intense emotions. Every kind of intense emotion there is triggers a instant reward for a 4.

In a way it highjacks our brain. A brain set up by the ego, with following reward structure according to enneagram type.

Take a 3. A three will get the overwhelming sense that this is right whatever they are doing if it brings them close to success. That, restlessness and lots of energy is what keeps them going. It won't highjack their brain or anything, it will just feel slightly good.

A 17 hours long drive transporting something to another city, leading to success for your company, will be made more pleasent for a 3, than any other drive, du to the slow biochemical feedback reward that happens in the brain DURING the drive.

At the other end, when all that work tolls up, and your company grew 25% in only a year AND someone congratulates you on it (externally acknowledged success), the intense bichemical reward comes in to place. It can't last long, since it's intense. It will be a cherished memory, a source of motivation a long time to come.

2's are similar. A 2 driving 17 hours to help someone, will enjoy the ride more since the ego is super-approving of it, giving them a noticeable reward weak enough to be able to last 17 hours. The biochemical reward won't just stop after 10 hours, and the person suddenly feels the drive is useless. No, it keeps going.

At the same time, at the end, when the service in helping someone is externally acknowledged, the intense biochemical reward kicks in. It will be a memory remembered and cherished.

End text

Instinctual variant 1 & 2

Our instinctual variants, guess what, comes with reward systems as well. Stronger for our primary instinct, weaker for our secondary instinct. I am convinced that over millions of years, some humans (or evolved apes) evolved to have three EQUALLY strong instincts. Some only one superstrong instinct. Or two equally strong instincts, where one doesn't take precedence over the other. They didn't make it. Today there are none left.

To my knowledge, all humans today have one primary instinctual variant stacking, and one secondary. It seems the better option, since we all have it. The abscence of other types of stackings confirms my "guide in a sea of endless options theory". It is better to act and do something than to be stuck in discussion-land doing nothing. Many equally strong forces would mean more time for internal debate and less time doing something.

It is in other words better to have some kind of hierchy among the forces pulling you, where in most cases, it is clear what overrules what

Self-Preservation instinct, primary concerns
Physical safety, comfort, and well-being; securing an orderly and aesthetically pleasing way of life (food, clothing, money, housing, and physical health)

Sexual instinct, primary concerns
Intense experiences, connections, and contacts, wide-ranging and exploratory, in order to find something to "complete" them inside (ski jumps, deep conversations, exciting movies)

Social instinct, primary concerns
Building their sense of personal value, accomplishment, and a security of place with others via interaction with people in a broader sense (through family, group, subculture, mainstream culture, community, nation, world)

Thats about it guys =) :crazy::crazy:

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
The sexual ego part sounds like it should actually be named sexual id, as this definition by timeless in his article backs this belief. It is an instinctual matter, but culture which also drives shaping manly or feminine is an ego matter.
Id: The id is a reservoir of psychic energy and the only component of the personality that's present at birth. It wants immediate gratification; it's impulsive, desirous and chaotic. As you can tell, the id is very troublesome; it's not rational. It doesn't consider the consequences of its actions. It utilizes what Freud called "primary process thinking"; when the id cannot be satisfied, it generates a mental image of what it wants to satiate it. (Keep this in mind when we discuss Type 3.) It's considered "primary" because it exists before all other processes. The id is entirely subconscious.
I suppose seduction is an ego matter though.

I believe this to be mostly a cultural reinforcement. The only reason men want to be manly outside of sexual reason (western culture) is that society tells them they should be to fit in better. Those beer commercials kill me.
mooncutter said:
Women feel good at excelling at everything defined as feminine. Men feel equally good about excelling at everything defined by culture as maculine.

Seems to me that maternal clock is what's ticking and creates this desire to have children. Also, it seems to me that aside from culture, women are more geared towards type 2 tendencies due to the nurturing nature of the 2. It feels good to make others happy and be supportive. Men are probably more likely to be type 3 because it's all about what you can do be achieve goals with little to do with feelings, and this speaks to the difference in genders you speak of. I think culture and gender's inherent attributes play a role in both types' differences.
Key here is that women have a higher need for connectedness. A Higher need to be a part sof something greater than themselves.
Something Doctor Paul, discusses in his self-improvement program MindOS, is that executive women, women at the top of their careers really suffers from the loneliness up there. Men, he says, will feel "yea it's a little lonely, but at least I'm the top guy!" *smile*.
Type 3's are an id type and are looking for gratification of the achievement, which fits this gender id type for men very well.

---

We all have our needs which we must deal with reality to get, so of course there is no way of rid of an ego's presence. Another definition by timeless which I'm basing this statement off of:
Ego: The ego is your interface to reality. It exists in both the conscious mind and the pre-conscious mind. This is the part of your mind that's responsible for rational decision-making. It utilizes "secondary process thinking", which acts to rationally get what you want. Instead of imagining the pizza in your id with the "primary process", the "secondary process" is what induces you to call up the pizza place.
mooncutter said:
You might also testify that no matter how high you climb on that ladder of psychological well-being, the ego is still there, giving us drive, wanting, and emotional fuel for taking action. People who have set out and conquered their ultimate goal (be it executive, professional artist, to be an outstanding mother, or becoming a normal drug-free citizen) can attribute this
It seems to be a reoccurring error that you get id and ego mixed up, especially in the "Explanation and general interaction" section of your article.

I'll get back to more analysis of your theory later, sleep now.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts