Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
18,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Taken from the WSS Facebook group. Please underline or somehow mention what blocks or questions that you felt elicited a specific reaction or are otherwise worth mentioning as being relevant when typing you e.g. you didn't like them, found the difficult or easy to answer, irrelevant etc.

Block I

1. General to specific, specific to general – what does it mean?
  2. What does "logical" mean? What is your understanding? Do you think that it correlates with the common view?
  3. How do you explain fractions on the dial of the clock?
  4. What is a rule? What rules do you have to follow?
  5. What is hierarchy? Do you need to follow it? Why or why not?
  6. What do you think of instructions? Do you use them? Could you write an instruction manual? If so, what type of instruction manual would you most likely write?
  7. Please explain: "Freedom is in complying with the laws, but not in ignoring the laws"? Do you agree with the statement? Why?
  8. Tell us how about consistent you are?
  9. What is a "standard"? Why do people need it?
  10. You need to put your home library in order. How do you feel about this activity? How will you approach this task?

Block II

1. What is work in your opinion? Why do people go to work? Are there any parameters where you can distinguish whether you can do this work or not?
  2. Is there any correlation between quality and quantity? Tell us if or how the price depends on quality?
  3. How do people determine the quality of work? How do you determine such quality? How well you can determine the quality of any purchase, do you pay any attention to it?
  4. How do you feel if you didn't finish some work? Does it ever happen? What are the reasons?
  5. What is "interesting work" for you? Please explain in detail.
  6. You go to the store and see something you're interested in buying; there is a price tag on it. What parameters are you going to use to understand if it's overpriced, underpriced, or priced correctly?
  7. When you work and someone tells you: "You don't do it right." What is your reaction?
  8. There is a professional right next to you. You always see that you can't perform the way they do. Your feelings, thoughts and actions?
  9. When you have to ask someone else to help you with the task, how do you feel?
  10. You need to build a pyramid exactly like in Egypt. Your thoughts, feelings and actions?

Block III

1. What is beauty? Do you change your opinion about beauty? Does your understanding correlate with the generally accepted notion? What goes beyond the generally accepted notion?
  2. Please describe your understanding of a beautifully dressed person. What is the core of beauty? How do you explain what is beautiful to a person who has never heard about beauty before?
  3. Is there a template of understanding what beautiful means for everyone to use? Is there such a term as "classical beauty"? If so, what is it?
  4. What is comfort? What is coziness? How do you create your comfort and coziness? How do others evaluate your skill in doing so? Do you agree with them?
  5. How do you pick your own clothes? Do you follow fashion? Why? Do you know how to select clothes for different types of figures?
  6. How do you cook? Do you follow recipes? What do others think of your skill?
  7. Are you good at color patterns and mixing them and matching?
  8. If someone is telling you what is beautiful and what is not, what goes with what color and what is not, do you agree with this person?
  9. Tell us how you'd design any room, house or an office. Do you do it yourself or trust someone else to do it? Why?
  10. How do you know if a person has bad taste? Could you give us an example? Do you always trust your own taste or do you seek opinions from others?

Block IV

1. Can you line up human resources and make them do things? What methods do you use? Can you press people? If so, how does it happen?
  2. What is incursion? How do you deal with this? Can you repulse? How easy can you do it?
  3. What does "my people" and "strangers" mean? When do "my people" become "strangers" and why?
  4. Are there strategies of attack? Can you use them? When is it justified?
  5. Do you think it's ok to occupy someone else's territory? In what situations?
  6. What are the methods of volitional force? When is it most effective and in what situations?
  7. How do you protect yourself and your interests?
  8. Describe your behavior in the situations of opposition and if you have to use some force?
  9. Do others think of you as a strong person? Do you think you are a strong person?
  10. How do you understand if a person is strong? Are there any signs of a strong person? What is the core of any force? Why do people listen to one person, but not the other?

Block V

1. What is boorishness? Does your understanding of it correlate with the generally accepted notion? How would you explain what boorishness mean to a 10 year old child? How would you explain the same to an adult who does not behave ethically?
  2. How would you improve the moral of the society?
  3. Can you justify somebody's bad behavior by thinking that he/she wasn't taught how to do so?
  4. Give us your understanding of love. Can you love and punish at the same time?
  5. Have you heard about the Southern hospitality? Everything is for the guest. There is also a German hospitality – the master of the house is always right. What method is the right one? Try to evaluate without the weight of any cultural aspects, traditions, nations etc.
  6. What is sympathy? When do you need to express it? When is it advised not to?
  7. Are there any norms of behavior in the society? Do you follow them? Do people always have to follow them? Why?
  8. How do you know what attitude among people is right or wrong?
  9. What does moral mean? What is immoral? Does your understanding correlate with the others? How can you evaluate the correctness of your own understanding?
  10. Somebody is giving you a negative attitude – what is your reaction? Could you show your own negative attitude toward someone else? If so, how? Could you give a person the silent treatment? How easily do you forgive people?

Block VI

1. "Whole world does not cost one tear of child" – how do you understand this phrase? Do you agree with this opinion?
  2. Is it acceptable to express emotions? Give examples of inappropriate expression of emotions.
  3. Can you use negative emotions? In what situations?
  4. How do you express negative emotions? What does it look like? What do others think about it?
  5. Shallow emotions – what does it mean? Are there any other emotions?
  6. What are right or wrong emotions?
  7. Can you change the emotional state of yourself? Of others? To what side – positive or negative?
  8. What does it mean to "pour out your emotions"? How does it happen?
  9. Does your internal emotional state correlate with what you show externally?
  10. Do you track what mood you are in throughout the day? Do you notice the mood of others?

Block VII

1. Do you like surprises?
  2. How people change? How do you feel about those changes? Can others see the changes?
  3. Is it true that whatever happens is only for the best?
  4. What do you think of horoscopes, fortune telling etc.? Do you believe in luck, lucky fortuity?
  5. Can you forecast events? Is it even real?
  6. What is time? How do you feel time? Can you "kill" time? How?
  7. Is it easy for you to wait for some important event? What if you don’t know when it is supposed to happen?
  8. Do you need help creating forecasts and determining how something will end? Do you trust those forecasts?
  9. Are you normally late? How do you react if someone is late?
  10. Imagine the situation where you agreed to meet with someone. Your feelings and actions: a) 20 minutes before the meeting starts, b) 5 minutes before the meeting starts, c) it is time for the meeting to start, but the person is not here, d) 20 minutes after the meeting start time and the person is not here, e) more time and the person is still not here…

Block VIII

1. Is there a meaning of life? In what? Is it the same for everybody?
  2. What should be done so people can be happy?
  3. In the situations with a lot of potential and volatility will you trust your own guts, logically calculating everything or will you ask people you trust what should be done?
  4. When you meet a stranger, what can you say about them right away? How do you know what this person is all about? Does it take long to understand someone's talents?
  5. Remember an interesting person and call out 5-6 qualities you think are interesting in them. What makes an interesting person? Are you an interesting person? Why? What if someone calls you "boring" and "not interesting"?
  6. What opinions, from people who know you, seem: a) fair; b) not fair; c) hurtful; d) strange.
  7. Do you fantasize? What kind of fantasies do you have?
  8. What qualities should a person have to be successful and why?
  9. What qualities can stop a person from being successful and why?
  10. What is more important in life – to be a good person or be a successful one? Why? Is a good person always successful? If not, then why?

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
This is fascinating, but can we have a policy where you underline questions that you think REALLY spoke to you?
I just feel like people will fill out 80 questions, then have no responses....become frustrated.

Part of the reason we have 20 question long ones is to get to the point, but without as large of a time investment.

If we underline, skimmers can pay extra attention to those ones and kind of reference everything else as necessary.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Oh! Another idea.

If there's someone that is absolutely sure of their type, can we sticky it? Ex: any LII who is 100% sure posts up their 80 questions in a LII thread.
This way anyone looking to understand LII in general can go there and get a feel for it.

Might be especially effective to write it out super honestly on your own, then read the responses and compare. In case people don't reply and stuff.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
I've... Got to fill this out...

Reactions: Entropic

·
Registered
18,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh! Another idea.

If there's someone that is absolutely sure of their type, can we sticky it? Ex: any LII who is 100% sure posts up their 80 questions in a LII thread.
This way anyone looking to understand LII in general can go there and get a feel for it.

Might be especially effective to write it out super honestly on your own, then read the responses and compare. In case people don't reply and stuff.
If we could get those quadra subforums I suppose? Otherwise it would take up a lot of space (16 stickies) and I am not sure that's really efficient. Doesn't seem like quadra subforums are happening anytime soon though...

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
If we could get those quadra subforums I suppose? Otherwise it would take up a lot of space (16 stickies) and I am not sure that's really efficient. Doesn't seem like quadra subforums are happening anytime soon though...
True. What about Club stickies?
Like one for all the NTs, NFs, STs, SFs.

Intro post can describe what's here as well as format for putting in questionnaire. Type on top, bolded. Ctrl + F to find all the ILIs on the page for example.

Reactions: Entropic

·
Registered
18,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
True. What about Club stickies?
Like one for all the NTs, NFs, STs, SFs.

Intro post can describe what's here as well as format for putting in questionnaire. Type on top, bolded. Ctrl + F to find all the ILIs on the page for example.
Would we nice if there wasn't a limit to post edits or something.

·
Registered
18,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@Scruffy @Dear Sigmund idk who else, but is it possible to edit in @Schweeeeks' suggestion in the OP since I can't edit it anymore? It's the part about underlying or mentioning which blocks were the easiest to answer or whatever else information people think might be relevant to know about what they felt about each block/question.

·
mafia mod
13,312 Posts
yea its possible. PM me and we can talk about it

thanks

·
Registered
710 Posts
Oh! Another idea.

I also like the idea of a sticky with examples of the types (who are sure of their type of course). That would be a great help for everyone and interesting to see how the different types answer the questions in comparison.

What about one sticky with 1 example of each type in it. So a sticky thread with 16 posts. Or two examples of each? that's perhaps better.

And they should be 99,9% sure about their type, and it also could be discussed and checked by others if they really are a good example for their type (in another thread of course not in the sticky, but I also would show the discussion thread link in the sticky so people can see why they took this one as an example).

In the end the best example of each type will be in the sticky.

I think we already have a lot of the questionnaires here so perhaps there are already good examples. Or those who are very sure of their type do the questionnaire...

EDIT: or the sticky could link to the threads like:

ILE
Link Example1
Link Example2

SEI:
Link1
Link2

that's more orderly than searching the posts on different pages and so on.

as we only take 1 or 2 examples of each type we don't need to change the sticky later.
You can't read so many posts anyway. They are very long...
And we would always need to check if they don't mistype themselves. So I would rather take few examples where the community agree that it's a good example.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I fucking despise this questionnaire and it's obvious that an xLI wrote it. It's impossible to use. What you reason or believe is not actually more than peripherally relevant to what your type is. What really matters is how you relate to your beliefs, what you expect of yourself and people, and what you need from others to grow as a person/what you contribute to others. What stimulates you. There is no relationship whatsoever between this and a person's actual, you know, personality. An ExE could easily look like an LxI or almost anything else, because all you're doing is asking people to define concepts. I tried to go in and type people who'd answered this, but it isn't possible.

·
Registered
18,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I fucking despise this questionnaire and it's obvious that an xLI wrote it. It's impossible to use. What you reason or believe is not actually more than peripherally relevant to what your type is. What really matters is how you relate to your beliefs, what you expect of yourself and people, and what you need from others to grow as a person/what you contribute to others. What stimulates you.
According to you. I think what people find what matters may vary wildly among them and their, you know, values. These dimensions may reveal something about someone's preferences, but just as much as you decry this questionnaire as useless because you cannot find how it relates to people's types, I may claim that those things are as useless.

There is no relationship whatsoever between this and a person's actual, you know, personality. An ExE could easily look like an LxI or almost anything else, because all you're doing is asking people to define concepts. I tried to go in and type people who'd answered this, but it isn't possible.
I would say the relationship is pretty decent. No questionnaire is perfect but it's clearly not fallacious either. I think it does a pretty good job in revealing people's differences in how they choose to answer, not what they actually think.

If you think it's not possible to type people based off this, I may argue this is more a problem on your end and does not render the questionnaire useless or invalid. Personally, if there's any questionnaire I find useless it's aestrivex's.

·
Registered
828 Posts
When I say "what matters" I'm referring to what matters to what a person's type is. Given that Socionics is an interpersonal relations matrix, it types along the lines of what, you know, will actually affect how we relate to other people. How someone chooses to answer a factual question will reveal their personal definition of that question, and little more. An Fi-leading type, an Fe-leading type, and a Ti-leading type, and indeed any other type, may well define a specific object of the psyche the same way. Without finding out what's important to people, what makes them tick, you have nothing usable. You need to get people to talk about themselves, or about something that will clearly reveal how they filter the world, to type them. And you don't need eighty fucking questions to do it neither.

·
Banned
13,780 Posts
When I say "what matters" I'm referring to what matters to what a person's type is. Given that Socionics is an interpersonal relations matrix, it types along the lines of what, you know, will actually affect how we relate to other people. How someone chooses to answer a factual question will reveal their personal definition of that question, and little more. An Fi-leading type, an Fe-leading type, and a Ti-leading type, and indeed any other type, may well define a specific object of the psyche the same way. Without finding out what's important to people, what makes them tick, you have nothing usable. You need to get people to talk about themselves, or about something that will clearly reveal how they filter the world, to type them. And you don't need eighty fucking questions to do it neither.
This explains why I seemed very Te-ish, thou the questions did lead me to reveal that I consider ethics / morality in very relative terms & that outside of the conscious realm I don't consider it relevant, because it can't exist without observers etc.. Within the conscious realm it would depend on the observer(s) perspective, where mine can be at odds with the group for example, in which case whoever has superior violence will be able to enforce one perspective over the other.

I will still feel the impulse of crushing amoral people (from my perspective) despite my outlook on morality, I can't help it...they just piss me off so hard....hurt a cat for fun an I may consider breaking your legs (in a society where laws were irrelevant I'd probably act on the impulse & forgo attempting anything more constructive)...etc..

While the questions may be problematic, they do reveal something, but I admit answering them all took a lot of effort for very little gain.

Btw thx for breathing new life into the forums :p

·
Registered
828 Posts
The other problem is that everyone really uses all eight elements. If we're talking about level of use, we actually use our 2-dimensional functions (role and mobilizing) more than we do the 3D ones (creative, ignoring), because the former align with our natural orientation (introverted/extroverted) and they lack a situation vector, so we don't really know how to stop using them, or when it would be appropriate to do so.

For instance: I plan things out in tremendous and thorough detail, but only if they engage me. I get very sloppy about anything that I don't like the prospect of doing, and I will neglect my life if I'm depressed, etc. I actually use so much Te (when it interests me) that some people have thought I should be an accountant.

·
Registered
800 Posts
The other problem is that everyone really uses all eight elements. If we're talking about level of use, we actually use our 2-dimensional functions (role and mobilizing) more than we do the 3D ones (creative, ignoring), because the former align with our natural orientation (introverted/extroverted) and they lack a situation vector, so we don't really know how to stop using them, or when it would be appropriate to do so.

For instance: I plan things out in tremendous and thorough detail, but only if they engage me. I get very sloppy about anything that I don't like the prospect of doing, and I will neglect my life if I'm depressed, etc. I actually use so much Te (when it interests me) that some people have thought I should be an accountant.
Cool, I had theorized they worked in that way. But where did you get that information from?

Though I'm not sure what to think of the idea of using all eight functions, which is something I had already read before, but I also realise that my understanding of the functions is more in line with Jung's than socionics (not that they differ too much) and that may be affecting my view on that perspective.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Cool, I had theorized they worked in that way. But where did you get that information from?
Reading about function roles, dimensionality, and how the function placements actually affect the elements.

Though I'm not sure what to think of the idea of using all eight functions, which is something I had already read before, but I also realise that my understanding of the functions is more in line with Jung's than socionics (not that they differ too much) and that may be affecting my view on that perspective.
Basically, a "weaker" function is really just a lower-dimensional function, which doesn't affect our skill at it, it merely affects the level of finesse/sophistication with which we wield it.

Likewise a "subdued" function is really just an internally-focused function, which doesn't affect how much we incorporate it into our lives, but does affect how much we incorporate it into our social lives.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Basically, a "weaker" function is really just a lower-dimensional function, which doesn't affect our skill at it, it merely affects the level of finesse/sophistication with which we wield it.
And what's the difference between "skill" and "sophistication"?

Likewise a "subdued" function is really just an internally-focused function, which doesn't affect how much we incorporate it into our lives, but does affect how much we incorporate it into our social lives.
Ok, this part is news to me. I tried searching for "subdued" here: Socionics - the16types.info - Dimensionality of Functions , hoping for an explanation of what you meant but I found nothing and the article is really long and I've never fully read it. I don't get how the fact that a function/IE is subdued means the function can be incorporated into our lives but not really to our social lives. If anything, I'd imagine the subdued functions are used when an external power forces you to do so, like in the case of a social situation with an opposite quadra that requires you to use that IE, which is a social context. On the other hand, I imagine the desire to use our subdued functions on our own to be very rare.

Regarding my view on using the eight functions, I understand that we use all of our 4 valued functions. However, on our interactions with other types we'll find information framed from the perspective of an unvalued function. Our reaction to that information depends on Model A but we will generally attempt to reframe that information from the perspective of our valued functions. So, for example, a Ti-dom may share a perspective of theirs that I find interesting and useful, but, in the process of assimilating it, where Ti has placed the emphasis on the subjective factor of logic, I will place it on the objective one, because my thinking is oriented at objects, it's Te. Or the information might even be useful to Ni. Basically, the other types of information can be re-interpreted to fit our valued functions, particularly the base.

For example, a Fe base may say "This person's actions are wrong due to how they've harmed this person!". Then, a Fi base will agree that the person's actions are wrong but will say "Because if I were in their place I would have felt so and so...". Then the Fe type will be like "Yes, but can you see how they've made this person feel?". And the Fi type will reaffirm his or her position. Fe wants to look at the values derived from outside themselves while Fi wants to look inside to find their values. And both types won't ever be in agreement because the other person keeps asserting their own perspective. Lots of conflicts happen due to this kind of mismatches.

This basically means that the opposite perspective is always rejected in favour of the dominant one but that valued perspective can be interpreted through other functions because you can understand a situation from different points of view. Thus, in a same situation, a person's going to look for Fi, the other for Fe, Te, and so on. Which is entirely in line with socionics, given statements like these:

The ignoring function is also called the observing, or limiting function. A person has very little use of this element, as it is the rival image of the base function, representing an antithetical approach to the same domain. It lies in the subconscious as a persistent annoyance to the individual. Therefore, he or she tries to ignore it. When lectured by another on the use of the ignoring function, the individual sees it as superfluous information, for he or she knows how to use the function well, but chooses not to use it in favor of his or her more convenient base function. Usually the base function creates byproducts relating to the ignoring function, but the way it describes such information is very carefully chosen to fit the view of the leading function.
Socionics Functions: Id

1 - 20 of 57 Posts