Personality Cafe banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
MOTM Jan 2014
11,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How emotional are you? How often do you experience any emotion besides anger?

Do you get in touch with sadness, shame, longing, & other feelings, through creative work? What about through listening to music or watching movies? If not, do you get in touch with these at all, and how?

How often do you cry?

How much do you think about the past? Do you keep old pictures & dream of people you used to know? Do you feel longing when you do?

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
I am going to put YOU in the freezer along with the Brene Brown book!

Reactions: Animal and CaptSwan

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
Not really. I mean, sure; I feel those feelings, but I immediately supress them, because, if I start letting them out; they easily take over and kill my newly found good mood. Besides, I've never been to creative regarding things like music, painting and artistic stuff like that. I've been told I'm somewhat good at writing, but I've never thought of using it for that.

·
MOTM Jan 2014
11,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not really. I mean, sure; I feel those feelings, but I immediately supress them, because, if I start letting them out; they easily take over and kill my newly found good mood. Besides, I've never been to creative regarding things like music, painting and artistic stuff like that. I've been told I'm somewhat good at writing, but I've never thought of using it for that.
How do you surpress them? Do you exercise, or think about something else, or what? Or do they just go away?

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
How do you surpress them? Do you exercise, or think about something else, or what? Or do they just go away?
I find something else to do. I've found that if I stop for a moment; they come back. So, I try to keep myself as busy as I can and, as time passes; they go away. But, I know it's only a temporary solution; I'd love to find a more permanent solution to my problem.

·
MOTM Jan 2014
11,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I find something else to do. I've found that if I stop for a moment; they come back. So, I try to keep myself as busy as I can and, as time passes; they go away. But, I know it's only a temporary solution; I'd love to find a more permanent solution to my problem.
I agree with Trent Reznor: "The way out is through."

My feelings sometimes surpress themselves. For instance I broke up with my boyfriend 2 years ago and I have yet to feel much of anything about it. I've seen him once since then and was happy to see him & friendly, glad he was doing well. I'm not jealous when I hear about him with other girls. I'm not longing for him. It was an amazing relationship but when it was over, it was over. However, you would think after a 2 year relationship I'd have some feelings to go through. But I don't. In this case I think it's really done, but this has happened to me before, where I'm blank on the issue, bounce back into my life and then 5-10 years later I can't stop thinking about said event, and 10 nostalgic love songs / fuck-you song/ poor-me songs / "I am strong" songs pop out.

But if I HAVE feelings, I don't see any way to escape them. The best thing is to indulge them, let them out in any way possible. I like to take them for walks or exercise sessions with rage music. I like to let them consume me and run through my hands onto the page or the piano. I like to sing my heart out until they are purged. That is the only way to process them and then once they are processed they may very well be purged forever. Sometimes that process may require one song; sometimes a whole album or trilogy, depending on the impact of the event. "Event" doesn't always mean a man, either; it can pertain to all sorts of trials and losses.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
I agree with Trent Reznor: "The way out is through."

My feelings sometimes surpress themselves. For instance I broke up with my boyfriend 2 years ago and I have yet to feel much of anything about it. I've seen him once since then and was happy to see him & friendly, glad he was doing well. I'm not jealous when I hear about him with other girls. I'm not longing for him. It was an amazing relationship but when it was over, it was over. However, you would think after a 2 year relationship I'd have some feelings to go through. But I don't. In this case I think it's really done, but this has happened to me before, where I'm blank on the issue, bounce back into my life and then 5-10 years later I can't stop thinking about said event, and 10 nostalgic love songs / fuck-you song/ poor-me songs / "I am strong" songs pop out.

But if I HAVE feelings, I don't see any way to escape them. The best thing is to indulge them, let them out in any way possible. I like to take them for walks or exercise sessions with rage music. I like to let them consume me and run through my hands onto the page or the piano. I like to sing my heart out until they are purged. That is the only way to process them and then once they are processed they may very well be purged forever. Sometimes that process may require one song; sometimes a whole album or trilogy, depending on the impact of the event. "Event" doesn't always mean a man, either; it can pertain to all sorts of trials and losses.
Interesting. Maybe I should try writing... after all; after I wrote that thread I started, I felt much calmer... emptier if you may. I'll give it a try. Thanks!

·
MOTM Jan 2014
11,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Interesting. Maybe I should try writing... after all; after I wrote that thread I started, I felt much calmer... emptier if you may. I'll give it a try. Thanks!
Oh you don't have to thank me.. I'm not sure if I have it right either. ;)

I'm confused whether I can be a core 8 and still have so much access to my feelings though. Everything else matches up but this side of me & process is decidedly 4ish. Let me know if it works for you. =D Also I can see why you felt that way after writing that thread - it was very honest and a great thread. I loved it.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts

I'm confused whether I can be a core 8 and still have so much access to my feelings though. Everything else matches up but this side of me & process is decidedly 4ish. Let me know if it works for you. =D Also I can see why you felt that way after writing that thread - it was very honest and a great thread. I loved it.
Thank you very much; although it was a bit more fantastical in the description; all the dialogs and processes described in it are 100% real. Don't worry, you'll be the first one to know about me and writing.

·
Registered
680 Posts

I relate. I noticed even if I divulge in them, there's still fear. If there's not, I'm still disconnected from the experience. I'm working on it, as you know. :~) When I open up, a lot of it seems very 4-like. I even wanted to become a cat, so I'd be constantly loved and never abandoned by a special someone... >_>

I just thought of something... Since 4's are an image type, they still attach to an image that they believe is there true self (I think that's what it was, I can't remember for sure). Have you thought that maybe you're doing the same?

Reactions: Animal and HellCat

·
Registered
3,592 Posts

yes since meeting 8w9 I do

Do you get in touch with sadness, shame, longing, & other feelings, through creative work? What about through listening to music or watching movies? If not, do you get in touch with these at all, and how?

Dance.. yoga.. or pacing and singing because you've heard me and my voice is the only place I show vulnerability and emotion.

How often do you cry?
No way.

How much do you think about the past? Do you keep old pictures & dream of people you used to know? Do you feel longing when you do?
I keep portraits I sketched of ex boyfriends but if I ever married someone I did not hate like Captain America, I would burn them. Because I think you need to break with that kind of past to have the most honest future.

Reactions: Animal

·
Registered
3,225 Posts

Depends on the situation i am in. Atm. i experience quite a lot of joy, from exercise and relationship. Also a bit of worry at times. Maybe once a week or so i really experience an emotion other than anger? Like, i have pangs of other emotions more frequently but not deep enough to immerse myself.

I use music for dissipating all kinds of emotions. I no longer listen to as much angsty music, like Nick Cave, The Cure, Joy Division etc, as i used to in my teenage angst years but still when i am overcome with emotion, mostly anger and way more rarely anxiety nowadays, i blast music suiting my temper. I used to write in my teenage years to get some of all the turmoil out, but nowadays i am just too... uninspired? I have lots of different other, non-creative, outlets. I have had an intimate relationship with sadness since my best friend committed suicide, but i mostly raged and cried it out, never put it to paper. I never felt like i could properly deal with anything so real in such a meaningless format as words. I'm all good now tho.

How often do you cry?

I tear up now and then and have had a few sniffles over the years but last time i had a real good hard cry must have been something like 5 years ago when i was going through a deep depressive episode after my friends suicide and a bad breakup.

No, never. The past is the past and it is all well to relive it in company of old friends but i never keep anything. I rarely think of the past at all. When i do and when i get together with friends who i realise that god damn i have had much fun in my short life...

·
Registered
449 Posts

How often do you cry?

Im human so I also feel all these emotions, but I suppress them by underestimating them, I say to myself "don't be sad because of that stupid thing, you don't deserve to be sad when there are a lot o people in worst situations (children in war without family, very poor people..etc)" I am always listening to music but not necesarely when Im sad :rolleyes:
I see what you want to know; how do I express sadness and stuff? Well, I draw and paint, that's the only way I have to let all this emotions out, because I would never openly show them, I just can't do it. When I'm too happy I don't feel the need to paint despite I love doing it haha, so I understood that I get inspired by sadness

I almost never cry and when I do it it's because I get overwhelmed by all the emotions I've been repressing during a long time, I also cry because I'm TOO angry. Sometimes I'm sad and I try to cry in order to feel better but I can't, it's like if I was physically impossible XD I have never cried of happiness but I'd like to :dry:

I like to think about the past when it does not "hurt", if I think about something that still hurts I feel longing, but when the memories are happy memories I just feel happy :proud: I love keeping old pictures!!

Reactions: Animal

·
Registered
593 Posts
@Animal

It varies and doesn't have much to do with typing as far as I'm aware. I have bipolar and I get depressed for about 10 days every 2-4 months (on meds). Otherwise I do experience brief sadness, pity, grief. I'm 8w7 so more positive emotions tend to come easily as long as they're not ones that appear weak or transient, whereas my negative emotions seem to all evolve/devolve into anger.

I absolutely do. It's part of why I can only write, paint or even play instruments alone now. I used to be an avid theatre and musical performer but now I need it for myself. The only time I show people my work or play in front of them is if it either doesn't mean anything to me (it's just a 'practice piece') or it is exactly as I want it to be and I refuse to explain it.

Listening to music nukes me. Listening to music makes me believe I have maladaptive daydreaming a lot of the time. I listen to music at least 4+ hours of the day (like actively listening with headphones), and it catches me in a wicked Fi-Si loop for ages. I access a lot of emotions by pretending that I'm someone else. They're not my tears, they're just some character's and I'm trying to write/feel in first-person narrative.

How often do you cry?
Again, that depends on other things but typically not often. There are times when I could cry over circumstances of others, horrible things that have happened... the whole 'loss of innocence/preying on the weak' thing gets to me a lot but I do not cry in public, or in front of others, period. If I really have to get something out, I do it in the shower or as quick as possible while I'm alone at home. Even then, it's a rare occasion.

I don't think about my past. I don't enjoy doing so 90% of the time. When I live something I am there in that moment, enjoying it. Sometimes I'll think back like 'wow, I really did go to that concert and do that thing' but there's little nostalgia and virtually NO sentimentality whatsoever in my entire being. It drives me Si and Fe heavy relatives bonkers.

I keep old pictures but I never really look at them. It's usually a means of appeasing my Si/Fe relatives. I think I might want to look back on them when I'm old, but I'm not sentimental. I was there for the photo. I remember what it was like.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts