Personality Cafe banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just realised this: lust is always referred to with a very powerfully negative connotation, right? but i've always had an appreciation for certain kinds of lust - for instance, the first time i came across the phrase 'lust for life' it quite thrilled me. in terms of behaviour, i love it when people are passionate about things - and i would argue that passion does have an element of lust in it. i think passion has more in common with lust than really greed per se because the way i see it, greed doesn't have that discernment - it's just about quantity. lust now, can discern quality and crave it.

anyone else, or am i just batshit crazy in another thing? :)

·
fire breathing dragon
2,810 Posts
Currently, I lust after food. Im trying to break that habit and get on a better diet. I've realized, that I need to put that energy into something else. I haven't figured out what yet.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I had the same thought. No idea why they call "Lust for Life" a vice of E8 types. Personnaly, I find that lust translates into enthusiuasm for rewarding actions (financially or morally), and a social intensity that's picked up by everyone, which is quite positive. Sure I like to consume things for self-gratification, what's wrong with that??

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
I had the same thought. No idea why they call "Lust for Life" a vice of E8 types. Personnaly, I find that lust translates into enthusiuasm for rewarding actions (financially or morally), and a social intensity that's picked up by everyone, which is quite positive. Sure I like to consume things for self-gratification, what's wrong with that??
Absolutely nothing. So, good to see you back. ;)

·
Banned
17,781 Posts
the vices of the Id types (3, 7 and 8) are not bad in and of themselves. the problem is learning to channel them in the right direction. Id types tend to do things in excess, have trouble controlling themselves and eventually bring about their own destruction, but if we can learn to focus that lust, drive for success, greed, and desire in a positive direction, we're unstoppable

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Lust is definitely strong in me.

It's been the driving force behind overcoming ALL of the obstacles I've had in my life; and yet, it can cause some interesting moments when it surfaces; It makes me seem terribly indecisive at times. For example: I was in a French bakery the other week; and was so overwhelmed by desire for all the pastries around me (I had never been there before, so had no idea what to expect) that I couldn't decide what I wanted to purchase. This happens when I'm at other stores and even the movies as well; the more options, the more lust, and the more indecisive I am [Though I can become very decisive the less options there are/ how much what surrounds me interests me] I'm sure being an ENFP plays a role in this as well. Also, I'll say some pretty awkward things when i'm lusting; my best friend even memorialized some of my "lustful" commentary on their blog (I'm grateful at least one person found them amusing). Lust mostly translates to passion and enthusiasm to me.

And by the way, I managed to exercise some self control at the French bakery, and just walked out with a slice of cheesecake. :-x

Reactions: Le9acyMuse

·
The Doer King
13,681 Posts
Lust is definitely strong in me.

It's been the driving force behind overcoming ALL of the obstacles I've had in my life; :-x
How has your lust helped you overcome your obstacles?

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
How has your lust helped you overcome your obstacles?
The best way I know how to describe it is that I used lust to better my situation. Maybe it's not lust; but through all my medical problems as a child- in the hospital, going to Dr's appointments- I would envision to the point of "lusting" (in my best understanding of the word) of a time when I would be able to live independently from my medical problems. This vision made me want to take better care of myself, made me want to go to my appointments and unafraid of the surgeries I had; because I could see that "free" life ahead of me. I also had learning disabilities; and in the same way I had a vision of overcoming my medical problems, I had in pushing through my disabilities. I couldn't imagine living the life I really wanted if I had let myself fall prey to any of my problems. The best way I can think of to describe it was a lust for an independent, and self sustaining future- and that's the "lustful" vision I keep imagining when times get tough. Now, that vision has changed more to keeping myself sustained and independent, but the goal is pretty much still the same.

I hope that explains it ok. I'm getting quite tired, so please pardon any grammatical errors or misspelled words.

·
The Doer King
13,681 Posts
The best way I know how to describe it is that I used lust to better my situation. Maybe it's not lust; but through all my medical problems as a child- in the hospital, going to Dr's appointments- I would envision to the point of "lusting" (in my best understanding of the word) of a time when I would be able to live independently from my medical problems. This vision made me want to take better care of myself, made me want to go to my appointments and unafraid of the surgeries I had; because I could see that "free" life ahead of me. I also had learning disabilities; and in the same way I had a vision of overcoming my medical problems, I had in pushing through my disabilities. I couldn't imagine living the life I really wanted if I had let myself fall prey to any of my problems. The best way I can think of to describe it was a lust for an independent, and self sustaining future- and that's the "lustful" vision I keep imagining when times get tough. Now, that vision has changed more to keeping myself sustained and independent, but the goal is pretty much still the same.

I hope that explains it ok. I'm getting quite tired, so please pardon any grammatical errors or misspelled words.

I wouldn't call that lust, positivity maybe? Lust to me is part of the 8s vices. Lust often drives us to do things, but in my case only things I am very interested in. I certainly cannot turn lust on and off, or use it to my advantage.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I wouldn't call that lust, positivity maybe? Lust to me is part of the 8s vices. Lust often drives us to do things, but in my case only things I am very interested in. I certainly cannot turn lust on and off, or use it to my advantage.

I do indeed know that lust is part of the 8's vices- It's what helped me determine that I am an 8. :)
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]Like you, I can't turn my lust on or off, it's always there. Though I did learn to "redirect" my lust. As a child, we didn't have much, so a lot of my lust went unfulfilled- Because I couldn't turn that lust "off" the next time I had a desire for something, that wasn't irrational to get, that left over lust was channeled into getting that. This has caused me some problems, now that I have more independence, I find it hard to say "no" when I want something; holding onto all that lust that was never released. These problems started even as soon as my late teens. I had wanted tattoos since before I was of legal age to get them. As soon as I was legal, I went out to get one (I actually got two within the first six months of turning 18)- to heck with the fact that I was still living with my parents, who didn't approve of me getting them at all (caused quite a bit of turmoil).[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]I'm not sure if I'd call pushing through my medical problems "positivity" per say. I had a very narrow minded view of reaching my goal. I had "check points" to getting what I wanted; and would react if anyone tried derail me from the path I wanted to take. I didn't have to really tell myself that I "could" do something; I just blindly went into the "battlefield" as I imagined it. Going to Dr's appointments (check)- Having surgery (check)- taking medication that could prevent a flare up of my condition (check). I wanted to get to my goal, and do it my way. There were quite a number of fights that started over my making Dr's appointments, without my parents being aware, and them getting mad because they wanted to go with me. When that happened, I would dig my feet into the ground and refuse to change it, because I saw any change as derailing my path. Same with overcoming my learning disabilities; I would react if someone tried to distract me when studying or call me names when I knew I was working to become more self reliant and independent. [/FONT]

·
The Doer King
13,681 Posts
I'm not sure if I'd call pushing through my medical problems "positivity" per say. I had a very narrow minded view of reaching my goal. I had "check points" to getting what I wanted; and would react if anyone tried derail me from the path I wanted to take. I didn't have to really tell myself that I "could" do something; I just blindly went into the "battlefield" as I imagined it. Going to Dr's appointments (check)- Having surgery (check)- taking medication that could prevent a flare up of my condition (check). I wanted to get to my goal, and do it my way. There were quite a number of fights that started over my making Dr's appointments, without my parents being aware, and them getting mad because they wanted to go with me. When that happened, I would dig my feet into the ground and refuse to change it, because I saw any change as derailing my path. Same with overcoming my learning disabilities; I would react if someone tried to distract me when studying or call me names when I knew I was working to become more self reliant and independent.
This whole section seems odd to me and I wish I could say why. Maybe someone who is more knowledgeable can comment on it. Either way I don't think we are talking about an 8s lust here.

Reactions: AbioticPrime

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
Really, who says the "Seven Deadly Sins" have to be negative? Any of them. Don't they all have at least nuggets of positive about them? And when I look at the seven corresponding "virtues", I see downsides to them.

Seven deadly sins - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Lust is healthy, zesty emotion when enjoyed in the proper balance with other things. I can say the same for the other six sins, as well as the seven, so called, "virtues".

"It's not enough.
I need more.
Nothing seems to satisfy.
I said
I don't want it.
I just need it.
To breathe, To feel, to know I'm alive."

-Maynard James Keenan

1 - 13 of 13 Posts