Personality Cafe banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new to this forum and the enneagram but the insights are already amazing. One area I'm seeing a lot of insight in how I operate at work. I work in a fairly high-pressure job. LOTS and LOTS of internal communications.

My boss is a VERY high-strung guy. Always hair on fire even over the small stuff.

This sends me over the edge. I worry about keeping him happy and coming off as good at my job but I also become very defensive and find myself ruminating on leaving for another job.

Example, the other day I emailed my boss asking if he wanted x, y, and z done. He responded "Yes!" but I read that as "Yes! Get it done already! What are you waiting for!" And I just go right to the anxieties and frustration of a 6.

Any suggestions?

·
Beer Guardian
ENTP 5w6 So/Sx 584 ILE Honorary INTJ
15,977 Posts
Do the job in front of you to the best of your ability and let go of things that are out of your control.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Delegate those things which are not your responsibility. Your employer's happiness isn't your job. Meet or exceed expectations, but make sure you have good boundaries around your own capabilities and actual responsibility/job description.

You mention reading into the "Yes" response, but you asked a yes or no question, so you could follow up with some clarification questions, rather than making assumptions. Agreeing to do work that you're unable to do is worse than declining/rejecting it, because the person asking is robbed of the opportunity to find someone who is truly available or capable. The temporary discomfort of giving a disappointing "no, I can't do that right now" response is better than the awkward "did you get done with X yet?" questions when you know you over promised and under delivered. How do I know? Construction project manager 9 speaking from experience 😉.

·
Registered
INTP sp/so 9w1 6w5 4w5
5,452 Posts
Feeling like your job is constantly threatened can result in psychological trauma (we humans don't do so well when we experience long stretches of time in which we fear for our means of living, i.e. our means of survival).

I know that doesn't directly answer your question, but I just want to mention it in case it's a deciding factor in whether you want to stay or leave.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts