Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
5,240 Posts
Plots like that get to me too, much more so if I like the character that is being misunderstood. For the record, 9 is likely my gut fix.

·
Registered
ESTJ 3w2 sp
3,087 Posts
I squirm in my seat as I watch movies where someone is trying to do the right thing and everyone misunderstands their intentions. It's so uncomfortable for me :/ For some reason I'm really affected by uncomfortable/embarrassing/awkward situations or misunderstandings.

·
Banned
3,725 Posts
I squirm in my seat as I watch movies where someone is trying to do the right thing and everyone misunderstands their intentions. It's so uncomfortable for me :/ For some reason I'm really affected by uncomfortable/embarrassing/awkward situations or misunderstandings.
I know what you mean. Yesterday I tried watching Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless mind but I didn't finish it because the character portrayed by Jim Carrey was so pathetic. It was so uncomfortable to watch.

Reactions: Tyche

·
MOTM Feb 2012
ISTJ 9w1
7,167 Posts
I suppose, although I don't know if this is specific to 9s. Stuff like Romeo and Juliet... I'm like, "Why would you go to such drastic measures without making sure!"

Although I think the point of them is to elicit a reaction like that out of the watchers/readers/etc.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
I agree, I just thought that was me. It irritates me to no end to conflict over misunderstandings, unless it's a parody or pointing out how stupid it is. It angers me to see people affected by misunderstandings negatively. The only thing I truly hold sacred is the human psyche, to it destroyed or harmed bothers me. If done pointlessly, you will unleash the full breadth of 8 wing anger. Violence and horror/scary stuff doesn't bother me. I actually like really gritty movies and film noir. It's just things with no point to them, or when people don't see beyond themselves or able to grasp whats really going on. But this also leaves me with no way accurately judging myself either, it could be a you are what you hate thing.

I suppose, although I don't know if this is specific to 9s. Stuff like Romeo and Juliet... I'm like, "Why would you go to such drastic measures without making sure!"
Yes I wonder the same thing, more so in real life. Which is probably why I'm single. I see acts like that as almost invading or violating someones personal space. I know I wouldn't to be hit on or have to deal with that stuff all the time, so I don't do it to girls. I love being romantic tho I can totally see myself going out of my to do things just to woe her but I want to know it will be taken well and wanted. Also, I don't see a point in trying to date someone just because of looks, they got to have a mind to match. And I just went way off topic.....

·
Registered
509 Posts
Oh yes, take for example "Meet the parents", it's supposed to be a funny movie and many people think it is, but watching it makes me flinch.

I also can't stand it when a character unintentionally makes a fool of themselves in front of everyone, it makes me feel so embarassed for them.

·
MOTM Nov 2012
3,857 Posts
I love Much Ado About Nothing above most other Shakespeare, mainly for the movie version with Kenneth Branagh and Emma Thompson, the Hero/Claudio storyline annoys me, I mean how emotive and possessive can you really get over someone you've known for 24 hours? Pathetic, okay maybe my love is mostly about poetic Kenneth, with some bonus points for the broody Keanu and sleazy Michael Keaton cameos, oh and lets not forget the dashing Denzel. But the important point is I do enjoy the story line... because Beatrice and Benedick finally hook up. It's about the awkward wanting that is eventually fulfilled. Tbh I would have been okay if Hero actually died and Claudio followed in kind.

·
Banned
3,145 Posts
I can't stand it either!

Reactions: Stephen

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Not just a Nine thing. XD Because seriously.

This. Drives. Me. Insane. @[email protected]

Misunderstandings make me absolutely squirm and want to scream, "NO! DON'T DO THAT YOU IDIOT(S)!" Maybe because Six is such a problem seer and troubleshooter this bugs me so much. x3 I can see them coming miles off. Sometimes I can barely read or watch when misunderstandings happen. Even in completely harmless movies. Like Tangled, for instance.

Well, it stretches far beyond misunderstandings as there are some typical plot devices that cause me to headdesk and squirm almost as badly as misunderstandings.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I really don't like dramatic irony. There's no suspense, and there's no room for surprise. It's utter frustration the whole time. Misunderstanding plots are like nails on a chalkboard to me. Especially when the misunderstanding happens from a far too contrived circimstance, and could have been solved by asking a question to clarify. Also, Threes Company is the worst sitcom ever made.

I don't know if this is related, but I get the same feeling in the scenes where two parties that are desperately searching for one another cross paths at some point, but are conveniently looking in different directions so they miss it. That plot device is so goddamn annoying.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I don't know if this is related, but I get the same feeling in the scenes where two parties that are desperately searching for one another cross paths at some point, but are conveniently looking in different directions so they miss it. That plot device is so goddamn annoying.
Ahhh! I can relate to this so much. The immediate example that comes to mind, is in the season finale of Sex and the City- When Mr. Big goes to Paris to see Carrie; there was a scene where she was looking for a taxi, and he was literally in a car on that same street, just a few cars away; they were completely obvious to the other being so close. I may or may not have screamed at the TV over that one. :p

Reactions: Psilo

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Oh yes, take for example "Meet the parents", it's supposed to be a funny movie and many people think it is, but watching it makes me flinch.

I also can't stand it when a character unintentionally makes a fool of themselves in front of everyone, it makes me feel so embarassed for them.
This post, to a t. :( It makes me squirm and sometimes I'll even feel the need to hide in peoples' shoulders or leave the room entirely.

I don't do this for horror or extreme violence, either.. I enjoy that! It's all terrible misunderstandings and "funny" embarrassing scenes that everyone else seems fine with.

Unnecessary conflict and uncomfortable spotlights bother me so.

Reactions: Nienna

·
Registered
362 Posts
*bounces in glee*

How many ways can I say "YES - EXACTLY!" ?

I have so many friends who love movies and watch them all the time and they'll say "Haven't you seen X", and I'll have to endure their harassment because everyone loves X. But I know I won't because the plot is all about a misunderstanding, or someone in an embarrassing situation, and I know I'll have to run away by the end of the credits.

Examples: Something About Mary. 40 Year Old Virgin. Anything with Jack Black, Will Ferrell or Adam Sandler. 90% of Romantic Comedies. Lots of Oscar Winners. Ugh!

I've gotten so paranoid that I don't really watch movies anymore. I really have to know that I will like it, like the Harry Potter movies, before I'll pay money to see something.

On a side note...
Although Much Ado is my favorite work of Shakespeare's, mostly because I ADORE Beatrice and Benedict. Hero and Claudio are such a waste of my attention - I fast forward through all of that. Love the movie version with Kenneth and Emma, although I would have given multiple limbs to have seen the David Tennant/Catherine Tate version on stage last year. (Seriously - and not just because I ship Ten/Donna. *snerk*)

I'll also watch any kind of documentary on almost anything. It's all about feeding the information monster in my head. ; )

1 - 20 of 22 Posts