Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
13,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Originally I typed as INFP (was depressed).

o_O now I type as ESFP, ISFP, INTJ, ENFJ, INFJ, INFP and INTP....what the hell is going on?

I also am having doubts about being a feeler. For one I'm lost in my head too much, I think a lot and I have strange reactions to situations where I think I should be more sympathetic.

Example1:
Was talking with this old lady (visiting every week), she was confined to her bed mostly, depressed and crying about different things every time I visited. Now others would maybe feel sorry for her and possibly cry or show some sympathy, but the only thing going on in my head was: "She is old, her times has come, family doesn't seem to give a damn about her (WTF!?)...I don't feel much for her either and here I am trying to fake some sympathy. Am pissed at her family thou." (also some thoughts about this happening to me when I get old)

Example2: Old acquaintance just divorced from her husband and lost custody of her child, so I decided to visit her, ya know to check up on her and stuff. When there...again I feel no sympathy, nothing, she tells me her troubles and I fail at expressing "emotions"...mostly because I had nothing to express. Could have given advice on how to get out of that mess, but decided to shut up when she told me something that made me realize she got into even more crap. Decided to leave her with her "views" of things -.- prior experience with this sort of thing was telling me I'd only waste my time anyway. I haven't visited since she tried to make me her crutch and prefer not to (too lazy).

Bottom line is, I understand what is going on from other people's perspective <.< but I don't really feel sympathy. I do feel guilt and it makes me want to do something occasionally, but really I just prefer to stay out of these things, well unless I know how to fix the situation.

You guys remember the Japanese reactor thing when the tsunami hit? :\ felt nothing out of the ordinary there either....too far removed, didn't stir anything in me honestly :(.....now I feel guilty cus I don't feel for these people.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I am not good at telling, who is what type. I have no idea mostly, even with people i know well. :) For me it was quit easy, since i scored as INFP in every test i ever take including professional ones, so i think I am very likely INFP. But for you, i dont know. Which type do you want to be? :)

Just one think. Being feeler, doesnt mean you have to feel for everybody in every situation. Its just way you see the world, it doesnt mean you have to be always caring and emphatic. So, what i find interesting is, why do you care so much about you not feeling anything? Maybe this is reason why you are feeler, because you think you should feel . . . . Maybe. ;)

And I am lost in my head almost constantly, being feeler doesnt mean you dont think. It means that you care more about what you feel. . .

But you most likely know more about this than me, I am still quit new here. ;) Good luck with finding your real type.

·
Banned
13,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am not good at telling, who is what type. I have no idea mostly, even with people i know well. :) For me it was quit easy, since i scored as INFP in every test i ever take including professional ones, so i think I am very likely INFP. But for you, i dont know. Which type do you want to be? :)

Just one think. Being feeler, doesnt mean you have to feel for everybody in every situation. Its just way you see the world, it doesnt mean you have to be always caring and emphatic. So, what i find interesting is, why do you care so much about you not feeling anything? Maybe this is reason why you are feeler, because you think you should feel . . . . Maybe. ;)

And I am lost in my head almost constantly, being feeler doesnt mean you dont think. It means that you care more about what you feel. . .

But you most likely know more about this than me, I am still quit new here. ;) Good luck with finding your real type.
You made some good points hmm, I don't care what type it is as long as it is correct. ^^ I can be ESTJ and it would still be okay. The only thing I'm sure about is my enneagram type, have no doubts about that one mainly because finding out actually helped me in an unexpected way to fix problems I have been denying (things related to fear and anxiety).

Yes I do care, because I should feel something for these people, my actions weren't "appropriate" imo, I should have helped, I should have done something, but the reality is that I didn't care enough..thus I did not. <---my E1 is acting up...damn.

:) thank you for the post, also welcome to the forums, enjoy your stay and I hope you learn a lot here (mind the trolls).

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
T's value an argument or principal more then the people involved. I think you may be on the cusp of an F and T, with a slight F preference. Just because you are an F doesn't mean that you bleed all over everyone, it just means that you prefer to value people more then you value what may be right or logical. To me I think you may be an FJ or a TJ, you seem to value people doing things that they are supposed to do (you were upset that no one is taking care of an elderly woman, you chose not to debate with a person because it wasn't the right time, etc.) Do you have a desire to debate usually? That's likely a T thing, they love arguing and flexing their T muscles. I would say F's do not debate for sport or for fun, they care too much about people and their principals, values concerning them to do that extensively and at length.

Think about it this way, could you fire someone easily? Would you need to psych yourself up to do it and would you try to make the best of the situation (F) or would you do it easily with a cold, clean, process with no need to gather strength (T)? Would you care about why a person isn't performing well (F) or would you only look at the bottom line in who is providing and who is not (T)?

·
Banned
13,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
T's value an argument or principal more then the people involved. I think you may be on the cusp of an F and T, with a slight F preference. Just because you are an F doesn't mean that you bleed all over everyone, it just means that you prefer to value people more then you value what may be right or logical. To me I think you may be an FJ or a TJ, you seem to value people doing things that they are supposed to do (you were upset that no one is taking care of an elderly woman, you chose not to debate with a person because it wasn't the right time, etc.) Do you have a desire to debate usually? That's likely a T thing, they love arguing and flexing their T muscles. I would say F's do not debate for sport or for fun, they care too much about people and their principals, values concerning them to do that extensively and at length.

Think about it this way, could you fire someone easily? Would you need to psych yourself up to do it and would you try to make the best of the situation (F) or would you do it easily with a cold, clean, process with no need to gather strength (T)? Would you care about why a person isn't performing well (F) or would you only look at the bottom line in who is providing and who is not (T)?
1. :p "Drive" is one awesome movie. Nice avatar.
2. Yes I like to debate or more exactly to talk things over with people (it is how I think or develop ideas to be exact). Just need that external input to randomize and eliminate some of my own thoughts.

Now to the questions (glad u asked these):

Think about it this way, could you fire someone easily?

No, I was in similar situations before where I had to throw someone out and things like this are difficult for me. I tend to look at their overall life situation, why I need to fire them, what the impact of that will be. I try to make it as painless as possible with guidance and support. Prefer win-win situations. If the person is a complete waste and a douche :\ I have no problem doing it at the snap of a finger ^^; thou. I would also care why people are performing the way they are, the underlying reasons are important.

Hmm...maybe this need for external input is a clue :\...don't know what it could mean thou. It does feel like I'm on the cusp of T and F. Wouldn't say I'm completely one or the other. This however could translate into being either sensing or intuitive dominant and not thinking or feeling dominant...hmm.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
1. :p "Drive" is one awesome movie. Nice avatar.
Thanks. :)

2. Yes I like to debate or more exactly to talk things over with people (it is how I think or develop ideas to be exact). Just need that external input to randomize and eliminate some of my own thoughts.
This sounds E ish to me. I's generally don't need that push to start inner development as they are in a constant battle of taking in information and forming it to themselves. E's need the outer world.

No, I was in similar situations before where I had to throw someone out and things like this are difficult for me. I tend to look at their overall life situation, why I need to fire them, what the impact of that will be. I try to make it as painless as possible with guidance and support. Prefer win-win situations. If the person is a complete waste and a douche :\ I have no problem doing it at the snap of a finger ^^; thou. I would also care why people are performing the way they are, the underlying reasons are important.
This sounds F to me.

sensing or intuitive dominant and not thinking or feeling dominant...hmm.
Yeah this is kind of Greek to me. I can never type a sensing person and I have a hard time really understanding sensing preferences. I know it's all about details and things that are concrete and tangible but I always have a hard time sussing it out in other people. N's are more pattern and mood oriented big picture people. I wish I knew a better way to describe it but S/N are my weakest points in profiling/typing.

·
Registered
119 Posts
As a Fi dom/aux user you mustn't feel their feelings, nor you have to sympathize with them or anything. As a Fi user you just focus on the nonverbal signals of your dialog partner, compare his/her values to your own, feel guilty for the eventual lack of empathy, hope that he/she now has no bad opinion of you due to your apparent apathy, then try to find anything you could say to appease her or how you could fake sympathy. (This arent all Fi users, nor is this the case in every situation, but this aren't non-Fi traits)

As a T you would collect significant data and try to find a good solution, but rather in a logical, "mathematical" way... you wouldn't understand why your conversation partner is of the opinion that you lack sympathy, because you tried your best to find a solution.

Your examples remind me of myself... I had my doubts, too, but after I analyzed my common thoughts for a while, I came to the conclusion that I'm a pretty right-brained guy, full of passion and stuff..

·
Registered
525 Posts
Thank you and i am glad i helped you at least a little. ;) And i am little envy, since i know my MBTI type, but i am not able to find my enneagram type. I am stuck between few possible options . . . . But it is for different place. As i said before, good luck with finding who you are. And take care. ;)

·
Banned
13,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This sounds E ish to me. I's generally don't need that push to start inner development as they are in a constant battle of taking in information and forming it to themselves. E's need the outer world.
This sounds F to me.
._. yeah...that would be another thing. I wonder if there is such a thing as shy/anxious extroverts. I don't really fit the description of ENFP, too self conscious/anxious and inhibited, thou when at ease I do put on a "clown show", its more fun throwing ideas around like that. (very rare stuff)

As a Fi dom/aux user you mustn't feel their feelings, nor you have to sympathize with them or anything. As a Fi user you just focus on the nonverbal signals of your dialog partner, compare his/her values to your own, feel guilty for the eventual lack of empathy, hope that he/she now has no bad opinion of you due to your apparent apathy, then try to find anything you could say to appease her or how you could fake sympathy. (This arent all Fi users, nor is this the case in every situation, but this aren't non-Fi traits)

As a T you would collect significant data and try to find a good solution, but rather in a logical, "mathematical" way... you wouldn't understand why your conversation partner is of the opinion that you lack sympathy, because you tried your best to find a solution.

Your examples remind me of myself... I had my doubts, too, but after I analyzed my common thoughts for a while, I came to the conclusion that I'm a pretty right-brained guy, full of passion and stuff..

Hmm I thought maybe it would mean that I should have felt sorry or something and not just sit there in apathy. I do feel guilt but I didn't feel for them other then that.

·
Banned
600 Posts
@Rim , there is nothing that proves or disproves INFP in your original post. The types show which cognitive functions you prefer, nothing more, nothing less. How you use those functions is up to you and it's yet another reason why everyone is unique.

If I were you, I would fill out a form in the What's my personality type? section and read up on the cognitive functions.

I hope you clear your confusion soon.

·
Banned
472 Posts
feeling does not mean you have to be sloppily empathetic. quite frankly I hate being that way, and I am definitely Fi. its about how you process stuff man. sounds to me like stereotypes are clouding your judgment.
MBTI Eight Functions
type yourself. the tests are useless. :)

edit: the link I posted is just a jumping off point. but if you just search ne vs ni for example, you can find lots of articles discussing it. good luck.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I also am having doubts about being a feeler. For one I'm lost in my head too much, I think a lot and I have strange reactions to situations where I think I should be more sympathetic.
Why do you think you need to be more sympathetic?

From my understanding, feeling isn't really about sympathy or empathy, even though that is how it tends to be expressed. I've also started to develop a distaste for defining feeling in terms of values, because I don't think it doesn't properly convey the rationality of the function. Values, harmony, and even emotions can be a parts of the function, however, they describe the inputs to a process not the actual process itself.

To take from the description of Fi here, it mentions a "weighing" that takes place, a process. The way I've come to understand it is that it describes a method for assigning orderings between different concepts kind of like:
People > Stuff
Money > Stuff
People > Money​
Then the natural ordering of the three concepts would be People > Money > Stuff. It's completely unambiguous, however, when you start using other ways to define the relationships and applying the general concepts into specific circumstances then it starts to appear ambiguous (but a natural order still remains).

Nota Bene: The above interpretation is my understanding what feeling as a process looks like, I've left many of the interior details I used to derive the above process out. So, I put no confidence in the accuracy, reality, or feasibility of my interpretation outside of my own head. It's also in part based on experience of Prolog which is a logic based programming language in which you define truths; and after you define the core set of truths you are then able to query the implicit truths of the core truths.

Tangential, but I noticed you use a lot of smilies, have you ever thought about why you use them?

Reactions: Spades

·
Banned
13,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
feeling does not mean you have to be sloppily empathetic. quite frankly I hate being that way, and I am definitely Fi. its about how you process stuff man. sounds to me like stereotypes are clouding your judgment.
MBTI Eight Functions
type yourself. the tests are useless. :)
I can't make sense of the functions. The way I see it I use most of them well enough, too situational, I react and adapt so i may act one way in one situation and in other ways in other situations. I love taking electronics apart and seeing what makes it work, does that imply I use a lot of Ti? I don't know, could never tell through functions.

@Rim , there is nothing that proves or disproves INFP in your original post. The types show which cognitive functions you prefer, nothing more, nothing less. How you use those functions is up to you and it's yet another reason why everyone is unique.

If I were you, I would fill out a form in the What's my personality type? section and read up on the cognitive functions.

I hope you clear your confusion soon.
Same goes for the questionnaire. I did fill it out and opinions were divided (including my own). ._. I kinda suck at introspecting, or to be precise :p I don't trust my own judgment on the matter enough (I doubt), because I have no way of proving how correct it is. I do need discussions like this with other people.

A good example would be how I found my Enneagram. Originally I thought I was a 4 and people kept telling me I was a 6, but I didn't believe it ^^ thou I doubted being a 4 as well. I just couldn't see it, but they were right and it was obvious why.

^^; I just suck at introspection.
This is my workaround. Somebody is bound to pick up on something that leads to the type.

ixfj perhaps
That is actually a good possibility. I relate a lot to both INFJ and ISFJ descriptions (minus all the being organized/helpful and tidy parts).

·
Banned
600 Posts
@Rim , I'm not sure if it helps but nearly everything (from the fact that you're seeking input from us to you loving taking apart electronics) indicates Ne to me. It would also explain why you doubt almost anything.

And in true Ne "fashion", I'm going to say that this is just my impression and I could be wrong. ;) But I believe you've got Ne as dominant or auxiliary (which means XNXP).

·
Banned
13,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
@Rim , I'm not sure if it helps but nearly everything (from the fact that you're seeking input from us to you loving taking apart electronics) indicates Ne to me. It would also explain why you doubt almost anything.

And in true Ne "fashion", I'm going to say that this is just my impression and I could be wrong. ;) But I believe you've got Ne as dominant or auxiliary (which means XNXP).
o.o now we are getting somewhere! I think that may be correct. Sure would explain a lot of things. Thx!

Why do you think you need to be more sympathetic?

From my understanding, feeling isn't really about sympathy or empathy, even though that is how it tends to be expressed. I've also started to develop a distaste for defining feeling in terms of values, because I don't think it doesn't properly convey the rationality of the function. Values, harmony, and even emotions can be a parts of the function, however, they describe the inputs to a process not the actual process itself.

To take from the description of Fi here, it mentions a "weighing" that takes place, a process. The way I've come to understand it is that it describes a method for assigning orderings between different concepts kind of like:
People > Stuff
Money > Stuff
People > Money​
Then the natural ordering of the three concepts would be People > Money > Stuff. It's completely unambiguous, however, when you start using other ways to define the relationships and applying the general concepts into specific circumstances then it starts to appear ambiguous (but a natural order still remains).

Nota Bene: The above interpretation is my understanding what feeling as a process looks like, I've left many of the interior details I used to derive the above process out. So, I put no confidence in the accuracy, reality, or feasibility of my interpretation outside of my own head. It's also in part based on experience of Prolog which is a logic based programming language in which you define truths; and after you define the core set of truths you are then able to query the implicit truths of the core truths.

Tangential, but I noticed you use a lot of smilies, have you ever thought about why you use them?
Yes that is my interpretation of F as well. Also I think I need to be more sympathetic because of the guilt I feel?

Regarding smileys:

My guess would be because I found them to my liking and I copied them from one of my x-girlfriends who loved using them a lot. It also serves as a "more accurate way of conveying information". They get the feeling across (nonverbal communication translated to to forum symbols?). I would like to hear your opinion on this thou o.o *curious*

·
Ace of Spades
7w6 4w3 1w9 sp/so; Ni/Ne/Te-dom
3,253 Posts
I will help you out via PM, but I just want to make some things clear here:

a) T is not thinking and F is not feeling, in the casual definition sense. T is detached logic, F is values.
b) How sympathetic or kind one is has little to do with F vs T. One can feel sympathy and still analyze from a detached standpoint. Similarly, one can not feel sympathy but think they ought to be.
c) Fi-Te and Ti-Fe work together. Being too heavily tipped in one direction is unhealthy. Having a balance between your two functions is optimal. The question is, what is your automatic dominant function? Is it a perceiving function perhaps?

There's more, I can address later ^_^

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
Originally I typed as INFP (was depressed).

o_O now I type as ESFP, ISFP, INTJ, ENFJ, INFJ, INFP and INTP....what the hell is going on?

Example1:
Was talking with this old lady (visiting every week), she was confined to her bed mostly, depressed and crying about different things every time I visited. Now others would maybe feel sorry for her and possibly cry or show some sympathy, but the only thing going on in my head was: "She is old, her times has come, family doesn't seem to give a damn about her (WTF!?)...I don't feel much for her either and here I am trying to fake some sympathy. Am pissed at her family thou." (also some thoughts about this happening to me when I get old)

Example2: Old acquaintance just divorced from her husband and lost custody of her child, so I decided to visit her, ya know to check up on her and stuff. When there...again I feel no sympathy, nothing, she tells me her troubles and I fail at expressing "emotions"...mostly because I had nothing to express. Could have given advice on how to get out of that mess, but decided to shut up when she told me something that made me realize she got into even more crap. Decided to leave her with her "views" of things -.- prior experience with this sort of thing was telling me I'd only waste my time anyway. I haven't visited since she tried to make me her crutch and prefer not to (too lazy).

Bottom line is, I understand what is going on from other people's perspective <.< but I don't really feel sympathy. I do feel guilt and it makes me want to do something occasionally, but really I just prefer to stay out of these things, well unless I know how to fix the situation.

You guys remember the Japanese reactor thing when the tsunami hit? :\ felt nothing out of the ordinary there either....too far removed, didn't stir anything in me honestly :(.....now I feel guilty cus I don't feel for these people.
Telling INFP and INTP apart can be surprisingly hard. I think the easiest way is to look at the inferior function. We you get pissed off, do you have an emotional explosion, or do you start laying down the law? The first one would be Fe, which would point towards you being an INTP, the second would be Te, which would point you to being an INFP.

The first example looks like some suppressed Te coming out. The tsunami thing looks like recursive worrying, which is a very INFP thing to do :D Fi isn't as much a person thing as you might think, so the Example 2 seems consistent. I don't see anything here that suggests you aren't an INFP.

·
Banned
13,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I will help you out via PM, but I just want to make some things clear here:

a) T is not thinking and F is not feeling, in the casual definition sense. T is detached logic, F is values.
b) How sympathetic or kind one is has little to do with F vs T. One can feel sympathy and still analyze from a detached standpoint. Similarly, one can not feel sympathy but think they ought to be.
c) Fi-Te and Ti-Fe work together. Being too heavily tipped in one direction is unhealthy. Having a balance between your two functions is optimal. The question is, what is your automatic dominant function? Is it a perceiving function perhaps?

There's more, I can address later ^_^
:D thx spades!

Telling INFP and INTP apart can be surprisingly hard. I think the easiest way is to look at the inferior function. We you get pissed off, do you have an emotional explosion, or do you start laying down the law? The first one would be Fe, which would point towards you being an INTP, the second would be Te, which would point you to being an INFP.

The first example looks like some suppressed Te coming out. The tsunami thing looks like recursive worrying, which is a very INFP thing to do :D Fi isn't as much a person thing as you might think, so the Example 2 seems consistent. I don't see anything here that suggests you aren't an INFP.
Yeah...I "lay down the law" usually ^^;.....emotional breakdowns :\ never had one before.

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
Yeah...I "lay down the law" usually ^^;.....emotional breakdowns :\ never had one before.
Then I would guess you're an INFP. It's especially hard to type male INFPs, since society forces you to exercise your Te. Which is not an entirely good thing, if your Te overrides your Fi :/ There's some thought that Adolph Hitler was an really unhealthy INFP, including an overactive Te. But you sound fairly healthy, though.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts