Personality Cafe banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So fellow ENFP's its been quite some time since I have last posted here. I miss all of awesomeness that ensues on these forums!:laughing:

Anyway, to the point. I'm an ENFP going through some rough patches in life. The stress feels like its setting everything on fire in my life.

So what have you guys and gals done to help combat stress and depression?

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
I've said a bunch of times on here that I suffer from bipolar and was on medication for months.

I've found that medication can help as it evens out your hormones and so can correct the levels in your brain. Note: I was lucky and the first one I tried worked really well, there are many which don't and you would need to talk to your GP to see if you needed them.

Meditation is good. Just make yourself sit down and do it. You can find tips online (the Buddhist method works best for me). It lets you focus and identify physical and emotional soft spots.

Sleeping properly is always good, but with stress it can be hard. Only eat light food before bed (low sugar cereal or toast) and only drink low caffine/no caffine drinks (i.e. green tea or milk and honey). Also make sure to take the house before bed to relax. I tend to read in bed at university with ear plugs in, then I get a period of quiet relaxation.

If you feel really stressed then go for a walk with someone or by yourself with music. You don't need to jog or run, just walking is fine!

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I'm too very hyper for mediation, so I just listen to music when I'm depressed. That really cheers me up. :)

Reactions: zallla

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys! Again, almost forgot how much I missed this place. Yeah I do the music thing all the time haha xD i think Ill try out the meditation tho tine!

·
Registered
ENTP 648 tritype The Truth Teller so~sx
1,476 Posts
I think any kind of taking it easy and deepening self-awareness thing works well. Meditation, yoga, reading, therapy, balanced diet, balanced exercising, healthy relationships etc.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
The kind of recommendations given by the previous posters may work for some people, but they don't work for me. Doing soothing things doesn't get rid of my stress, it just bottles it up where it can accumulate, fester, and grow. I find an outlet, a way to vent. Things like listening to loud metal or hardcore music, intense exercise, and emotionally-charged singing work well for me. Actually, so does arguing and fighting probably would too, but these things are too destructive so I avoid them.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
My cure is music. I usually listen to music that fits my mood and it helps to just dive in and explore my feelings before I can move on. It also helps to just spend time alone, or with a friend. Not necessarily telling them but just thinking of other things, having a laugh.

Can I ask what's troubling you? :)

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Exercise, getting things done, watching/doing anything that makes me laugh - I suggest Parks and Recreation, 30 Rock, maybe It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia if you like raunchy humor. and talking things out with good friends. and challenging myself with whatever makes me feel bad/uncomfortable over and over until I can figure out what's going on, why, and what I can do about it.

·
Banned
3,435 Posts
Things that helped me overcome my 'dark days' (this is not to say it will work for you...this is just my own experiences)

• Trying to incoporate some structure into my life (prior to this I just lived a COMPLETELY chaotic life. It was so much fun...but I think it went too far...hehe) - since I have done this I have been able to achieve things I had thought I could ever do. This gave me an incredibly positive boost it the right direction :happy:
  • EXERCISE (or if this doesn't suit you....at least some form of daily physcial activity) - I can't stress how much this made me feel SOOOO much better. I started running about 3 years ago. Prior to this I HATED any form of exercise (except dancing :kitteh:)...and was amazed at how much I grew to enjoy this. For me- there is nothing more calming/relaxing, than going for a nice long run.
  • Medication- I did try this for a while; but it didn't really help me. But not everybody is the same...and there are different types of mental illness. Sometimes taking tablets can help you get to a stage where you can then make more of an effort to change certain aspects of your life to make you feel better. I'm no Doctor anyhow!
  • Practice positive thinking - and I don't mean trying to force yourself to be HAPPY HAPPY HAPPPPPPPPPPY all the time. Because often...this can actually has an adverse effect. Realise and understand that you will have bad days. We all do. What I learnt to do was just 'accept' that I was going to have a shit day...and allowed myself to wallow in self pity- guilt free. These things take time- don't beat yourself up over it- stay postive.
  • Stimulate your mind...read a book; watch a film....talk to strangers...join a crazy random club/group.....BE INSPIRED! :laughing:
Hope you reach a better 'head-space' soon! :)

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
I also wanted to just add a little extra bit:

Creativity. Whenever I do something random and creative - draw a picture, make a video, write a song, make a costume, just complete any little craft - I feel like the world gets a little brighter and happier. :) That and having a good friend (now bf) to talk to on the bad days really helped me through the worst of my stressful times.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The kind of recommendations given by the previous posters may work for some people, but they don't work for me. Doing soothing things doesn't get rid of my stress, it just bottles it up where it can accumulate, fester, and grow. I find an outlet, a way to vent. Things like listening to loud metal or hardcore music, intense exercise, and emotionally-charged singing work well for me. Actually, so does arguing and fighting probably would too, but these things are too destructive so I avoid them.
Actually im the lead vocalist of a hardcore band haha so i yeah, i do feel alot better after a practice/show. Good to know other ENFP enjoy hardcore xD.
and Oleas. I cant even begin to explain. basically. ive hurt a relationship in which im extremely happy with. (INTJ) and it was kinda a big deal. Its my fault and I know it. I just cant escape my actions and the repercussions that result. Nor the stress from senior year of high school. not to sound cheesey and silly. Music, optimism, expression, and self reflection seem to be a recurring theme. again thank you all so much. I miss this place. a safe haven of people who will always understand. =) thank you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts