Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Something, something clever to elicit typing...

I am re-writing this post since my first, initial request had a dearth of information, depth/substance to analyze or form opinions. Since then, I have taken several MBTI assessments and I've had mixed results, enough to almost provide confusion; I've also researched MBTI a bit. I don't want to share the results just yet for fear of contamination, though I'm willing to after any initial interest in this request. I imagine my type will be self-evident based on your analysis. I've also barely researched cognitive function theory and not even looked at (yet) the Enneagram or Socionic theories.

I am also considering other questionnaires to provide more information; those might be in the works later, depending on interest/responses to this one.

0. Is there anything that may affect the way you answer the questions? For example, a stressful time, mental illness, medications, special life circumstances? Other useful information includes sex, age, and current state of mind.

I am a 19 year old female. There aren't any special circumstances currently in my life; though I did skip lunch and I'm currently munching on some tortellini. Also, I have a seven year old nephew next to me playing a video game and I will have to interrupt this questionnaire to take him home.

This is also the second time filling out this questionnaire; upon reflection, I realized there wasn't enough data for “typers” to either be interested or form an opinion. So, realizing my answers may be less concise, the answers should provide more insight.

1. Click on this link: Flickr: Explore! Look at the random photo for about 30 seconds. Copy and paste it here, and write about your impression of it.
(I can't seem to post links, so I tried to work around that filter.)
After flickr.
Com/photos/benosaradzic/17116882437/in/explore-2015-04-30

The link provided several pictures to choose, so I selected the one that stood out the most.

It stood out to me because this is often how I imagine my brain-- full of ideas, pathways, possibilities, networks, synapses, and ideas. The structure I see as my head with all this potential, these ideas, that are almost constantly running in my head (especially if interested in something), whereas the shadowed areas are … dormant, inactive, restful, sleeping areas. The light coming through are the ideas; the.. bang, pop-- the electricity, the spark that sets me off. As the world turns, the day lengthens, the Earth spins, different areas light up. And, there's me. In the middle, trying to make sense of it all, and navigate my way through my chosen path, avoiding obstacles, trials, life.

I do notice the smaller details of the picture, the device to the right, the telescope, the … instruments, the pane of the glass, the floorboard, but those are all secondary to the above.

2. You are with a group of people in a car, heading to a different town to see your favourite band/artist/musician. Suddenly, the car breaks down for an unknown reason in the middle of nowhere. What are your initial thoughts? What are your outward reactions?

“This is perfect.”
Internally, my mind is running at full speed as the mental image I had for the night has been altered and I try to develop a plan that will lead to success. Also at this time, I am starting to become slightly stressed. The car breaking down is an obstacle to my (our) attendance at the concert and I immediately start shifting through possibilities on how to overcome the obstacle. How much time is there left to find a solution to this problem? Is there anyone with the skill set to fix the car? Mechanical, electrical, easy, complex? If so, how much time do I give them before I move on? Who can we call? Can we walk, flag down a ride, call a taxi?

Outwardly, I am stoic at first, yet as the time variable gets closer to us missing the concert, I am becoming more agitated, brooding, because the plan has been upset. I am usually sarcastic, but my commentary could become more... caustic or sniping at this point; I have seen this happen before in specific instances when people/group ignores my input or plan.

3. You somehow make it to the concert. The driver wants to go to the afterparty that was announced (and assure you they won't drink so they can drive back later). How do you feel about this party? What do you do?

I'm trying not to get annoyed since the party was not part of the plan, but I concede and try to “go with the flow.” At the party, I will probably be out of place. I am not the life of a party, I imagine that would be the “driver.” During the party, I would stay near to any close friends in the group, and eventually be abandoned to observe the party-goers and make up mind games. If I have a book, I might try reading that. If approached, I would try to engage the person in a meaningful discussion about the party and trying to figure out the person's connections, story, and why they are at the party. I tend to do better at close, intimate gatherings, and parties don't necessarily tend to allow for this.

If I am imbibing (yes, this has happened!) however, I am more out-going and do a lot of social experiments; I've had this happen several times where I procure drinks for people/the house and provide connections or ideas, being a “wing woman,” and watch how people react when I throw away money (as I am non-materialistic) -- I am usually disappointed.

4. On the drive back, your friends are talking. A friend makes a claim that clashes with your current beliefs. What is your inward reaction? What do you outwardly say?

I would try to objectively consider that belief. I can be extremely open-minded when it comes to new perspectives and input. However, I can also be narrow-minded if the consideration leads me to think the claim is inane. Depending on how inane the claim is and if I care, I may criticize the friend/claim in public; if I am inebriated, I would definitely attack/snipe the friend, but in a more... friendly manner. If I don't care about the claim, I won't say anything. Most claims are beneath my notice.

5. What would you do if you actually saw/experienced something that clashes with your previous beliefs, experiences, and habits?

I imagine the situation would depend on how severe the vision/experience was against my mindset. I tend to be very... stoic in demeanor (I think there's a term for it.. resting b**** face?); if the experience was not violent, I would start to analyze it. I would try to understand the situation, my reactions, my reasoning, and see if there was anything I could learn from the experience.

6. What are some of your most important values? How did you come about determining them? How can they change?

I'm pretty adamant in my quest for knowledge and that knowledge leads to.. power/enlightenment; this developed during my formative years when I met quite a few “know-it-alls,” not only in literature, but in person.

I protect myself from toxic people; this was developed due to a crazy mother. My family is very “tradition-oriented,” and I avoid (most of) them to do my own thing and not deal with family drama.

I try to be very dependable. If I say I will show up at a certain time, I plan accordingly and I am typically early; I can show up late, but I have to plan for that. I've also taken to doing a “first come, first serve,” basis for events.

Values can change over time, through experiences and interactions.

7. a) What about your personality most distinguishes you from everyone else? b) If you could change one thing about you personality, what would it be? Why?

a) This may take some explanation and I apologize if I can't describe it well-enough; I also hope it doesn't come across as boasting/arrogant. I tend to ignore people, events, things, unless they have a purpose to me or an immediate impact. In stores, I often come across as .. “above everyone else,” it's not that I'm snobbish intentionally, I just present an aloof demeanor naturally. I was recently told by a close friend that my best attribute is that I'm “brutally honest.” (He also mentioned this was my worst attribute as well.) With this characteristic, if I care to (or as mentioned above in #3, drinking), I tend to be a great adviser/counselor, seeing and offering possibilities and connections to others, and easily leading my intimate friends to epiphanies/introspection.

b) I would like to change two things, but they are almost contradictory. I can be extremely ruthless, plan/strategize outcomes, but I would like to almost double-that and follow-through with all my ideas/visions, without a care for people. I think I'm almost on the cusp of this trait, yet knowing it's there, it won't help with the aloofness as mentioned under a).

Now, the contradiction or the second-- this would be... to “relax,” that is, have more fun and allow people to see the person I am when I imbibe. I've been told she's really cool, by previously mentioned close friend. Who doesn't want to be the cool one?

8. How do you treat hunches or gut feelings? In what situations are they most often triggered?

I previously answered “I don't often receive these, so if they happen, I ignore them,” but with further reflection, it's probably more apt to say I take them for granted or I don't recognize them. Often, when I'm daydreaming or in my head, viable ideas will spring to mind; I don't see these as hunches or gut feelings though. Perhaps I am mis-labeling those... I can guess what someone will say, or what will happen if I care to, and I'm extremely good with predicting traffic flow, but I don't know if this qualifies.

9. a) What activities energize you most? b) What activities drain you most? Why?

a) I'm most energized when being introduced to new ideas, new ways of looking at something, especially brainstorming. I have a horrible habit of reading scientific magazines and thinking “what if,” or looking at something new (usually in technology, history, or science), and coming up with applications or possibilities. I also tend to be energized whenever I'm communicating these ideas to others, sharing knowledge.

b) The most draining activities would be most emotional activities, like talking about feelings. I'm so horrible at that and feel like a fledgling idiot.

10. What do you repress about your outward behavior or internal thought process when around others? Why?

I repress my .. curiosity. There are a lot of things I'm innately curious about “What does this do?””How would this person react if?””I wonder what s/he thinks.” Yet, I hold back and just keep a lot of those questions to myself because I don't want to scare anyone (or be physically/socially hurt because of my “Little Prince” mentality.)

Btw – thank you to @Spades for developing the questionnaire; rather new to all this MBTI stuff, Enneagram, but I thought I would check here first for some insight.

So, thank you for your time and consideration. :)

·
Registered
INTJ 5w4 Sx/Sp
2,387 Posts
@Page

It stood out to me because this is often how I imagine my brain-- full of ideas, pathways, possibilities, networks, synapses, and ideas. The structure I see as my head with all this potential, these ideas, that are almost constantly running in my head (especially if interested in something), whereas the shadowed areas are … dormant, inactive, restful, sleeping areas. The light coming through are the ideas; the.. bang, pop-- the electricity, the spark that sets me off. As the world turns, the day lengthens, the Earth spins, different areas light up. And, there's me. In the middle, trying to make sense of it all, and navigate my way through my chosen path, avoiding obstacles, trials, life.

I do notice the smaller details of the picture, the device to the right, the telescope, the … instruments, the pane of the glass, the floorboard, but those are all secondary to the above.

Ne or possibly Ni. Se.

2. You are with a group of people in a car, heading to a different town to see your favourite band/artist/musician. Suddenly, the car breaks down for an unknown reason in the middle of nowhere. What are your initial thoughts? What are your outward reactions?

“This is perfect.”
Internally, my mind is running at full speed as the mental image I had for the night has been altered and I try to develop a plan that will lead to success. Also at this time, I am starting to become slightly stressed. The car breaking down is an obstacle to my (our) attendance at the concert and I immediately start shifting through possibilities on how to overcome the obstacle. How much time is there left to find a solution to this problem? Is there anyone with the skill set to fix the car? Mechanical, electrical, easy, complex? If so, how much time do I give them before I move on? Who can we call? Can we walk, flag down a ride, call a taxi?

Outwardly, I am stoic at first, yet as the time variable gets closer to us missing the concert, I am becoming more agitated, brooding, because the plan has been upset. I am usually sarcastic, but my commentary could become more... caustic or sniping at this point; I have seen this happen before in specific instances when people/group ignores my input or plan.

Ni/Te.

3. You somehow make it to the concert. The driver wants to go to the afterparty that was announced (and assure you they won't drink so they can drive back later). How do you feel about this party? What do you do?

I'm trying not to get annoyed since the party was not part of the plan, but I concede and try to “go with the flow.” At the party, I will probably be out of place. I am not the life of a party, I imagine that would be the “driver.” During the party, I would stay near to any close friends in the group, and eventually be abandoned to observe the party-goers and make up mind games. If I have a book, I might try reading that. If approached, I would try to engage the person in a meaningful discussion about the party and trying to figure out the person's connections, story, and why they are at the party. I tend to do better at close, intimate gatherings, and parties don't necessarily tend to allow for this.

If I am imbibing (yes, this has happened!) however, I am more out-going and do a lot of social experiments; I've had this happen several times where I procure drinks for people/the house and provide connections or ideas, being a “wing woman,” and watch how people react when I throw away money (as I am non-materialistic) -- I am usually disappointed.

Introversion.

4. On the drive back, your friends are talking. A friend makes a claim that clashes with your current beliefs. What is your inward reaction? What do you outwardly say?

I would try to objectively consider that belief. I can be extremely open-minded when it comes to new perspectives and input. However, I can also be narrow-minded if the consideration leads me to think the claim is inane. Depending on how inane the claim is and if I care, I may criticize the friend/claim in public; if I am inebriated, I would definitely attack/snipe the friend, but in a more... friendly manner. If I don't care about the claim, I won't say anything. Most claims are beneath my notice.

Te/Fi.

5. What would you do if you actually saw/experienced something that clashes with your previous beliefs, experiences, and habits?

I imagine the situation would depend on how severe the vision/experience was against my mindset. I tend to be very... stoic in demeanor (I think there's a term for it.. resting b**** face?); if the experience was not violent, I would start to analyze it. I would try to understand the situation, my reactions, my reasoning, and see if there was anything I could learn from the experience.

Te.

6. What are some of your most important values? How did you come about determining them? How can they change?

I'm pretty adamant in my quest for knowledge and that knowledge leads to.. power/enlightenment; this developed during my formative years when I met quite a few “know-it-alls,” not only in literature, but in person.

I protect myself from toxic people; this was developed due to a crazy mother. My family is very “tradition-oriented,” and I avoid (most of) them to do my own thing and not deal with family drama.

I try to be very dependable. If I say I will show up at a certain time, I plan accordingly and I am typically early; I can show up late, but I have to plan for that. I've also taken to doing a “first come, first serve,” basis for events.

Te. Planning.

7. a) What about your personality most distinguishes you from everyone else? b) If you could change one thing about you personality, what would it be? Why?

a) This may take some explanation and I apologize if I can't describe it well-enough; I also hope it doesn't come across as boasting/arrogant. I tend to ignore people, events, things, unless they have a purpose to me or an immediate impact. In stores, I often come across as .. “above everyone else,” it's not that I'm snobbish intentionally, I just present an aloof demeanor naturally. I was recently told by a close friend that my best attribute is that I'm “brutally honest.” (He also mentioned this was my worst attribute as well.) With this characteristic, if I care to (or as mentioned above in #3, drinking), I tend to be a great adviser/counselor, seeing and offering possibilities and connections to others, and easily leading my intimate friends to epiphanies/introspection.

b) I would like to change two things, but they are almost contradictory. I can be extremely ruthless, plan/strategize outcomes, but I would like to almost double-that and follow-through with all my ideas/visions, without a care for people. I think I'm almost on the cusp of this trait, yet knowing it's there, it won't help with the aloofness as mentioned under a).

Now, the contradiction or the second-- this would be... to “relax,” that is, have more fun and allow people to see the person I am when I imbibe. I've been told she's really cool, by previously mentioned close friend. Who doesn't want to be the cool one?

Intuitive. Weak Se.

8. How do you treat hunches or gut feelings? In what situations are they most often triggered?

I previously answered “I don't often receive these, so if they happen, I ignore them,” but with further reflection, it's probably more apt to say I take them for granted or I don't recognize them. Often, when I'm daydreaming or in my head, viable ideas will spring to mind; I don't see these as hunches or gut feelings though. Perhaps I am mis-labeling those... I can guess what someone will say, or what will happen if I care to, and I'm extremely good with predicting traffic flow, but I don't know if this qualifies.

9. a) What activities energize you most? b) What activities drain you most? Why?

a) I'm most energized when being introduced to new ideas, new ways of looking at something, especially brainstorming. I have a horrible habit of reading scientific magazines and thinking “what if,” or looking at something new (usually in technology, history, or science), and coming up with applications or possibilities. I also tend to be energized whenever I'm communicating these ideas to others, sharing knowledge.

b) The most draining activities would be most emotional activities, like talking about feelings. I'm so horrible at that and feel like a fledgling idiot.

Ni/Te. Fi.

10. What do you repress about your outward behavior or internal thought process when around others? Why?

I repress my .. curiosity. There are a lot of things I'm innately curious about “What does this do?””How would this person react if?””I wonder what s/he thinks.” Yet, I hold back and just keep a lot of those questions to myself because I don't want to scare anyone (or be physically/socially hurt because of my “Little Prince” mentality.)

Can you elaborate on why do you do this?

First off you gave me thinker vibes. Throughout your text you ooze intuition, at first I was thinking Ne -> possibly a very logical INFP, though this shifted towards Ni. I'm pretty sure that you're an INTJ (Ni-Te-Fi-Se). General traits seem to suggest this as well, like your analytical attitude to things, focus on knowledge, tendency to plan, wanting to improve others, bluntness, aloofness, difficulty with expressing feelings.

Also, I learned two new intoxication-related english words from reading your post, thanks ;)

·
Queen of Hearts
17,939 Posts
^I agree with the above analysis. Assuming the tortellini-munching didn't affect your answers too much, of course)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@Blue Soul: Thank you. To answer your question, I very much am an outsider in my environment. I've always suspected I was an alien or some-odd human (almost Mentat-esque, if you will). When I was younger, my persistent questions and bluntness was endearing and I was labeled "precocious." Nowadays, it's not so much appreciated. So, I have a lot of internal opinions, thoughts, judgements, and experiments; if the subject is something I deem worthy of my time, or I'm persnickety (maybe my shadow functions?), I'll engage. I'm not entirely sure it's a good thing that you've learned new libatious words from me! :)

@Oswin: Thank you for the affirmation/validation. The pasta was pesto flavored. Yummm, a weakness. Don't tell the other INTJs! Btw, I like 10 the bestest. :)

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I'm seeing Ni, Se and Ti. There's tons of details and framework in the way you deal with problem solving that makes me think Se and Ti during the car situation, and the way you spoke about the brain question made me think of Ti and Ni illuminating unknown structures with previously learned information to create an inner image that makes sense to you -- which I imagine is what Ni-Ti looks like in STP's and NFJ's.

There were so many times where I felt you were an INFJ, until I got to question 7 and you mentioned how uncomfortable you are with your feelings and how you feel out of sorts when dealing with emotional issues with other people and feeling detached from people and seeing people as useful so you definitely have the Ni-Ti bridge.

I also had to discount Ni dominance when you spoke about not feeling comfortable with your hunches and the unknown. That pretty much cemented Ti dominance for me. But so many of your answers felt IJ-ish at the beginning part of the questionnaire, but that could have been an introverted judging being manifested. Your sensitivity about your feelings in relation to others, and deriving value of you feelings based on their relation to other people is Fe but it seems inferior in the way in which you are uncomfortable with it, and the issue of expressing it, not natural to you and causes you some form of unease or anxiety but there is a focus of the external that's not Fi-ish in nature. You don't strike me as needing to build an inner code of feelings or needing to sort out how you feel about things too much. You are much more concerned with finding information and sorting things out in your head and making sure it all makes sense to you, which is Ti indicative. You talked a bit about defaulting to Fe tendencies at the surprise party, but you mentioned later that you are uncomfortable with it. So Fe is somewhere in your stacking.

I would tentatively type you as an ISTP, but I would like to know more about your hunches and how you feel about them, and the ways in which you have related and utilized your feelings in certain situations. Those are the aspects of your personality that you seem to have the most unease with. I'm not seeing any pronounced indications of extroversion (no Se or Fe dominance), and nothing you wrote gave me Si indicators, but there are some Ne indications but I just feel a greater Ni presence in you. Can you speak more about how you come to predict traffic? Or how you know what people are going to say?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi @Arrow,

Appreciate the insight, so thank you for your time. I’ll try to answer your questions, but let me know if there’s anything that requires further elucidation.

Hunches: I’m unsure if I can explain it better than “I take them for granted or I don’t recognize them.” My thinking process, internally, is rather quick, and it is sometimes difficult for me to express hunches or my ideas to others. The best way for me to explain is to provide anecdotal evidence: I was participating in a technical briefing. At the time I was unfamiliar with MBTI/cognitive functions; now, I can easily type three of the attendees: an INTP, an ISTJ, and an ISTP. I also recently confronted the ISTP about being one and he confirmed. The ISTJ was presenting. During the briefing, I saw several connections and possibilities and shared. With most of these, everyone agreed with my points. There was one time, the INTP and the ISTP debated. I listened with a half-ear, all the while looking at the print out, and trying to see if there was anything else that “stuck out” to me. I have also noticed that if I am sitting next to the either of these two, I will lean over and throw out my idea, to hear their thoughts and impressions (and validate my thoughts).

Traffic predictions and people (judging?) are pattern-analysis for me. Traffic is easy to read to me based on the impression I get when I see the car; I immediately assess the car/driver and go from there. This may sound bad, but I see driving as a means to an end, a necessary evil, and... a competition. *cough* (I would also like to point out for the jury that I am a safe driver and I have not gotten a ticket.) People’s sentences are the same way. I get an impression (judgement?) about the speaker, their background, their message, and go from there.

Feelings: I hate them. LOL. I realize I have them and I do not misunderstand them. There’s no reflection in me when it comes to them. I just have a difficult time… a hesitation expressing them, unless I am close to the person; even then, only if I have known the person a very long time and I “feel safe” around them.

·
Registered
ILI
5,652 Posts
@Page

You read as Te as hell.

#8 does not surprise me at all. "hunches" and "gut-feelings" are a terrible, terrible way to describe them.

I think you are an INTJ.

You did give me a lot of Ne vibes throughout. Especially when you talked about enjoying to brainstorm (Ni is terrible at this) and thinking up random "what if" questions--this is pretty Ti/Ne. (why is this Ti/Ne?)-> Beause Ti/Ne loves pondering alternative scenarios that have no practical application. Te needs a practical application or it will just not enjoy pondering it. It will be seen as pointless and fruitless by Te, and so Te will discard it. But Ti loves the process of just pondering it. The process is the application for Ti.

Same story with brainstorming. Ni sucks at this--this is very Ti/Ne again.

Let me give you a scenario to better explain it:
I had a semester-long programming assignment a few semesters ago. The first step to the assignment was to come up with 3-5 viable paths I could take for my assignment. This was 3-5 ideas I would be okay with doing. (a brainstorming assignment)

After I came up with the first idea, I found it INCREDIBLY DIFFICULT to come up with any more. Nothing could compete with idea #1. And the more I tried to come up with other, separate ideas, the more I realized I could incorporate them into idea #1 and make idea #1 even better.

This is Ni's problem with brainstorming. Ne does not have this problem. (the professor was an ENFP and could not understand my problem at all :laughing:)

But those seem to be outliers and you seem to be more INTJ than not.

But I want to read your thoughts on what I said above ^

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@emberfly

Thanks for the reply. I didn't see any direct questions, but I'll share my thoughts on your analysis. Please let me know if you require more data or if my knowledge is lacking; I would appreciate source material then. I do have a huge caveat with this reply – I'm half-awake/asleep; I'm probably going to crash after drafting/posting this reply, then come back hours later and edit obsessively. I've spent several hours researching the cognitive functions, specifically Te/Ti and Ne/Ni to understand myself (hah), your analysis, and types.

I agree with Te without a doubt.

From my understanding (again, newbie, and half cognizant (seems to be my normal functioning state lately...)), Ne starts with one idea – possibility branching out or developing to many ideas and possibilities, whereas Ni starts with many ideas and narrows them down to one perfect idea/possibility.

My “hunch” (sorry, couldn't resist) or impression is that I enjoy brainstorming (see anecdotal example) to get those many ideas (the more ideas, the better, right?), then to work/solidify to one absolute idea/direction. Once I have that idea/direction in mind, I hand it off, knowing the general steps towards fruition, but letting the detailed types figure out the specifics.

I have to say, I didn't like your scenario or teacher very much. LOL. I hated high school and I didn't really “bloom” until college: if the teacher provided one idea and said “you will do this,” (high school) I floundered and almost rebelled; if the teacher left it open or provided many ideas and said "you can do whatever you want," (college) I flourished. It might have been easier for me though. Allow me to explain (and it might provide additional insight to help with your analysis): The assignment would have had a purpose to me (either a grade for a class or perhaps work-related). Though coming up with the many ideas would have happened initially, it would have been easy for me to communicate them, because that would satisfy my end objective (of the grade or the work-related, degree, promotion, etc.). I would eventually take/whittle down the ideas into one perfect one, even perhaps taking the other ideas to improve the perfect idea. I would be interested to hear the details of your scenario. :)

After acclimating to his voice, I listened to/digested Michael Pierce's rational/irrational YouTube clips and the cognitive functionary forums on PersC to help.

I need sleep. I'll probably mentally kick myself in the morning for posting this. Thank you again for the reply and goodnight.

·
Registered
ILI
5,652 Posts
I agree with Te without a doubt.
Me too.

From my understanding (again, newbie, and half cognizant (seems to be my normal functioning state lately...)), Ne starts with one idea – possibility branching out or developing to many ideas and possibilities, whereas Ni starts with many ideas and narrows them down to one perfect idea/possibility.
Yes! A strong preference for either will make the other more difficult as you will have to reject your most natural and preferred way of doing things.

My “hunch” (sorry, couldn't resist) or impression is that I enjoy brainstorming (see anecdotal example) to get those many ideas (the more ideas, the better, right?), then to work/solidify to one absolute idea/direction. Once I have that idea/direction in mind, I hand it off, knowing the general steps towards fruition, but letting the detailed types figure out the specifics.
I don't see your anecdote anywhere.

I have to say, I didn't like your scenario or teacher very much. LOL. I hated high school and I didn't really “bloom” until college: if the teacher provided one idea and said “you will do this,” (high school) I floundered and almost rebelled; if the teacher left it open or provided many ideas and said "you can do whatever you want," (college) I flourished.
So you liked it better when the teacher provided you with a list of possible topics?

It might have been easier for me though. Allow me to explain (and it might provide additional insight to help with your analysis): The assignment would have had a purpose to me (either a grade for a class or perhaps work-related). Though coming up with the many ideas would have happened initially, it would have been easy for me to communicate them, because that would satisfy my end objective (of the grade or the work-related, degree, promotion, etc.). I would eventually take/whittle down the ideas into one perfect one, even perhaps taking the other ideas to improve the perfect idea. I would be interested to hear the details of your scenario. :)
You're really making me think you're an E(I)STJ. Do you feel strongly that you must be an introvert? You seem to have no issue or difficulty jumping into Ne. You don't have Ni/Te stopping you from doing that.

The process you describe sounds very much like what I would expect an ESTJ to say. Just effortlessly coming up with possibility after possibility. And picking the best one is secondary to you. This is very non-Ni. And the ease at which you communicate them, again, points toward Ne. Ni is much more reluctant to share its ideas with others. But may do so if probed specifically for them.

After acclimating to his voice, I listened to/digested Michael Pierce's rational/irrational YouTube clip
That one is a good one. You prefer sensing data?

Reactions: Immolate and Page

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@emberfly

I enjoy academics when I learn on my own actually. In an institutional learning environment, I prefer to either have the topics open or a slew of topics provided; I dislike being told to do a specific topic/project, especially if I think the teacher has lost credibility (to me), or the topic is inane/pointless.

Yes. Introvert. I refuse to be labeled as an extrovert. LOL. I hate being the center of attention. If I had to choose a social "element" or situation, I would prefer close, warm gathering of intimates. I work with several extroverts and I will borrow a phrase because I can't rationally explain it... extroverts drain me. I feel exhausted after interacting with them in person. I will tell you (reveal?) I purposefully hunted/stalked several competent typists, including you, messaged them, and implored them to type me; again, though I see that more as a means to an end.

I prefer input. I was researching the cognitive functions on the forum. The Fi/Fe descriptions interested me and I was noticed a Fi/Fe thread with Blue Soul (INTJ, from above) sharing Pierce's YouTube explanation on those two functions. From there, I moved into Pierce's other videos, the descriptions of the types that have been previously shared, and finally the Te/Ti and the Ne/Ni. I would consider myself an... audial girl though; I enjoy listening to music (Muse being dear to my heart) and at work, I often have my earbuds in.

·
Registered
IEE
6,559 Posts
Confusing because I thought INTJ right away but now emberfly is flying in and suggesting STJ. How do you relate to this?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
@Greyhart- The thread, Pierce's Se/Si clip explanation, or that emberfly may have been mislabeled as an ISTJ? If the clip, I'll have to watch anon.

My impression is that Se perceives the current “physical” or objective nature of an object (thing, place, item, person, etc.) and that Si is the subjective interpretation of an object; please feel to correct me if that's incorrect. Both the Se and Si concepts as explained by Pierce seem alien to me. If I had to choose between the two, I would lean towards Extraverted Sensing (Se) and I want to say that it isn't a dominant function for me. When an object provides sensation/stimulates me, unless it's a strong sensation, I barely register the sensation or the details; I definitely don't link the sensation back to previous sensations or memories. Perhaps I misunderstood Pierce's interpretation.

·
Banned
8,898 Posts
Let's see :)

Page said:
I am re-writing this post since my first, initial request had a dearth of information, depth/substance to analyze or form opinions. Since then, I have taken several MBTI assessments and I've had mixed results, enough to almost provide confusion; I've also researched MBTI a bit. I don't want to share the results just yet for fear of contamination, though I'm willing to after any initial interest in this request. I imagine my type will be self-evident based on your analysis. I've also barely researched cognitive function theory and not even looked at (yet) the Enneagram or Socionic theories.
I wonder if your results usually look like this: INTJ, ISTJ, INTP. Don't answer that, of course.

I think it goes without saying that you're introverted and a thinking type.

Page said:

I like the way you've described the image. You talk about connections and possibilities, bright areas and dark areas, potentials and ideas. This could indicate Ne, but you've taken these bits and pieces and put them together to represent a singular thing, your mind. You notice details like the floorboards and pane of glass, and describe them concretely, Se.

Page said:
“This is perfect.”

Several things here: you quickly consider possibilities, you appear stoic, you plan ahead and dislike when someone or something disrupts your plan, you become agitated after a time and sarcasm breaks your stoicism. I take Te/Fi from this, especially because of your lack of expressiveness and sarcastic behavior.

Page said:

This one is interesting! Clear introvert. It's endearing how you mention reading a book. I actually keep a book/kindle in my purse at all times for those "mingling" or "alone" moments.

You prefer structure and knowing what's going to happen. You're thrown off-balance when things don't go as expected. You also have a curiosity for what lies beneath the surface (trying to figure out a person's story). When you're drunk or tipsy, you're more open and like to test people or the environment you're in. The fact that you're not materialistic and don't care about losing money steers me away from ISTJ.

Page said:
Oh, I like this one. Although you have great confidence in your beliefs, you're open to reevaluating those beliefs if valid or worthwhile information comes along. You also don't seem to care about group harmony, to the point where you would criticize someone in a public space. Tipsy-Page is even less caring! This tells me Te/Fi.

Page said:
There is nothing to say except Te/Fi.

Page said:

Several points to consider: you pursue knowledge with a purpose in mind (power/enlightenment), you don't like being forced into traditional get-togethers, you plan plan plan, and you have a realistic view on values.

This suggests Te/Fi, but what do you mean by power? Enlightenment?

Page said:

This is where I hit a roadblock.

a) You ignore things unless they're useful to you, makes sense, but then you mention immediate impact. What do you mean by immediate impact? Purpose? How do you determine this? I think an aloof demeanor and brutal honesty are characteristic of Fi, although I wonder if it can also be characteristic of inferior Fe. I mention this because of your reference to advisor/counselor. Again you mention possibilities and connections, possibly hinting at Ne or Ti.

b) You want even more planning and ideas. You mention wanting to follow-through. Do you normally finish what you start? Can you explain how you approach projects and goals? Despite this, you want to ease up and learn to relax. I wonder if you mean relaxed in social groups, or relaxed in general.

Page said:
It's interesting you mention ideas again, this time viable ideas. Can you describe a few ideas you've had? Do you have any outlandish ideas you wish you could bring to fruition? You refer to possibilities and connections once again in response to Arrow. There's also that comment about external validation...

Also, I'd like to know how you guess what a person will say or do. For example, does it usually happen around people you know, strangers, or both.

Page said:
Feelings: I hate them. LOL. I realize I have them and I do not misunderstand them. There’s no reflection in me when it comes to them. I just have a difficult time… a hesitation expressing them, unless I am close to the person; even then, only if I have known the person a very long time and I “feel safe” around them.
I don't feel the depth of Fi here. Do you know why you have a difficult time? What does it take for you to feel safe around someone?

Page said:

a) Brainstorming! What-if! Possibilities! This suggests Ne. You want to see these possibilities happen. Suggests Te.
b) It will hopefully get better :)

Page said:
Here's the feeling stuff again :p

Have you had bad experiences in the past...?

Page said:
It might have been easier for me though. Allow me to explain (and it might provide additional insight to help with your analysis): The assignment would have had a purpose to me (either a grade for a class or perhaps work-related). Though coming up with the many ideas would have happened initially, it would have been easy for me to communicate them, because that would satisfy my end objective (of the grade or the work-related, degree, promotion, etc.). I would eventually take/whittle down the ideas into one perfect one, even perhaps taking the other ideas to improve the perfect idea. I would be interested to hear the details of your scenario. :)
I'll try to understand. You prefer coming up with your own idea, and if that's not possible, you prefer having the freedom to choose an idea from a list of options. What I'm getting here is that you want to have control over the things you do. It doesn't strike me as Si, but let's see what others have to say.

I'm sorry for asking so many questions :tongue:

I hope I'll have a clear view of your type after a few more posts. As of right now I lean INTJ, but I'm as confused/curious as @emberfly about your potential Ti/Ne. Maybe I'm misinterpreting your answers? Two functions working together and mirroring another function, perhaps?

Is this post too long? Hm. Oh well.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi @shinynotshiny,

Thank you for the in-depth analysis. I'm sorry for the delay in my reply, but let me get right to it. I've isolated each of your questions and I'll try to answer them to the best of my ability in order. Please let me know if I've missed anything and I'll rectify that immediately. I'm also wondering if I'm just a complete mess/hopeless case based on your last comment. My research into the cognitive functions is not only helping me to understand, but it's also making me question my sanity more and more.

“This suggests Te/Fi, but what do you mean by power? Enlightenment?”
To me, power is the ability to realize my dreams, goals, and objectives. It is more self-mastery and self-actualization (personal enlightenment or transcendence) than monetary or physical power. I firmly believe that knowing information, how the world works, how my mind works, how my body works, interactions, etc., makes me a more enlightened person able to accomplish my desires. I like to know the subject matter; this is especially odd because though I can readily see practical theory, truly deep theoreticals will make my eyes glaze over. :/

“You ignore things unless they're useful to you, makes sense, but then you mention immediate impact. What do you mean by immediate impact? Purpose? How do you determine this?”
I used the “immediate impact” phrase to indicate events or items that may somehow immediately interact with me; something that will cause me direct harm, place me in danger, or interfere with my path.

“You want even more planning and ideas. You mention wanting to follow-through. Do you normally finish what you start? Can you explain how you approach projects and goals? Despite this, you want to ease up and learn to relax. I wonder if you mean relaxed in social groups, or relaxed in general.”
I normally finish what I start; there are rare instances where I won't because of an outside factor I did not consider. My approach to goals and projects is rather straight forward; I find out what my goal is (the one idea) and work backwards from that, detailing the broad, general steps necessary to accomplish said goal. I keep a mental checklist of these steps, adjust accordingly to new data and objectives, and move forwards towards completion. I have plans for a month, three months, six months, year, two years, and five years; these plans are broad in scope, yet there are things that I want to have accomplish by these dates and I progress towards them, almost hungrily.

More relaxed in social groups or settings. I've noticed my personality tends to be somewhat subdued online. I want to see more of that in person; I'm contemplating adding sometime in a service field to learn more personable skills and how to “relax” more.

“Can you describe a few ideas you've had? Do you have any outlandish ideas you wish you could bring to fruition? You refer to possibilities and connections once again in response to Arrow. There's also that comment about external validation..”
I can. I work at an intellectual, ivory tower type institution. I can't say too much about what we do aside from provide the... genesis of solutions. We deal with a lot of “big data” type issues and I've developed several practical ideas on data aggregation, data synthesis, and data visualization (mostly through a mobile application idea that I had and worked on its development). Other non-work related ideas include creative projects; a good example of this is a dinosaur skull I sculpted using polymer clay as a gift to my nephew. At the age of four, my precocious nephew was highly interested in dinosaurs. Instead of spending thousands of dollars on an actual skull, I researched the anatomy, pictures, bone density, coloring, and then made a sculpture, painted and aged it appropriately, and passed it off as a “real” skull.

“Also, I'd like to know how you guess what a person will say or do. For example, does it usually happen around people you know, strangers, or both.”
Both. I thought I explained this earlier. I get impressions about people quickly based on patterns of behavior; I am horrible at body language reading, but I am quite good at judging a person's characteristics otherwise. I also am able to listen, think, and know where they are progressing when they talk; I can't explain it other than sometimes I make mental leaps of where they are going in the conversation.

“I don't feel the depth of Fi here. Do you know why you have a difficult time? What does it take for you to feel safe around someone?”
I have an inkling why, but I'd rather not discuss that in a public setting; let me just say my past was abusive. I generally have to feel comfortable with someone before letting down my guard; that person has been with me for some time and gotten to know me. There are some people (I'm leaning towards NFPs) that can almost get past all my barriers. I have to be very careful around them.

Thank you for the reassurance. After reading over all my answers, I'm not so sure I fit into any type other than “crazy.” LOL.

The only questions I mind are the unanswered ones. I've always been that kid (adult?) that asks questions. The post was perfect. Thank you again. :)

·
Registered
ILI
5,652 Posts
I wonder if you are a type five. You have that air about you.

I find it very surprising that you said you are bad at reading body language. Have you ever read about the symptoms of Asperger's syndrome?

Reactions: Page

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
@emberfly,

I'll agree (hesitantly) with the 5w6. I'll have to research it more though before I accept it fully. :)

I hadn't read much on the symptoms of AS before your post (going back to type 5). I have some of the symptoms present, but not all. I can read body language, but the cues have to... almost be overstated. I'm a flummox if someone's “interested” in me. I also express the “wrong planet” syndrome several times a day.

Thank you. I'll have to muse over the rest, and I'll try to reply more later.

·
Banned
8,898 Posts
@emberfly,

I'll agree (hesitantly) with the 5w6. I'll have to research it more though before I accept it fully. :)

I hadn't read much on the symptoms of AS before your post (going back to type 5). I have some of the symptoms present, but not all. I can read body language, but the cues have to... almost be overstated. I'm a flummox if someone's “interested” in me. I also express the “wrong planet” syndrome several times a day.

Thank you. I'll have to muse over the rest, and I'll try to reply more later.
I can relate :tongue:

For me, I think it's the fact that I'm so withdrawn and inside my head most of the time. I prefer when people are blunt and honest because I don't like wasting time beating around the bush. This goes for most things. I can't stand when someone wants to ask me something but they try to weave it into conversation inconspicuously, as if I don't know that's what they're trying to do from the beginning. Be brave and ask/tell me, for goodness' sake.

Rant over lol

I'll respond to your post either today or tomorrow :)

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Apologies for butting in but I wanted to add my thoughts in here.

I would not say there is one starting point, both Ni and Ne are able to brainstorm multiple possibilities, both are able to see different variations and multiple perspectives or possibilities.

Here's where I think there's a misconception here regarding Ni and Ne.

High Ne rattles off a thousand and one possibilities per second with zero investment in any of them. They are all a dime a dozen views and thoughts and are all equally valuable and it keeps going until it has exhausted itself like a firework. It literally spans the gambit of what things could happen and what things could represent and each idea is worth it and valid.

Ni can do the same but it will start weeding out things based on how "true" each perception feels to itself, so all ideas and perspectives are not equal. They are being judged internally by the Ni user and assessed by their level of "truth" in the Ni user. Ni can see multiple perspectives but it will start devaluing the ones that it doesn't believe in and doesn't feel connected to.

Both Ni and Ne brainstorm, but the difference is Ne likes more or everything, Ni is selective about what it is willing to accept into it's inner theories and beliefs. Both are focused on believing in things without knowable proof, but Ne sees multiple options as being true, Ni sees one option as being true. Ni narrows from provided options and information, Ne adds to it to include more possibilities.

Edit: Could @emberfly and @shinynotshiny explain your reasoning for Te? Everything I'm reading is that Page is using information primarily to bring understanding to herself and illuminate concepts as she understands them. Not necessarily using information as a tool to impact the external world. Nothing Page has mentioned seems designed or focused in a way to impact the external specifically. It's all about using information to find answers and problem solve for an inner logical quotient.

All of her thoughts seemed to be aimed primarily in a "give me more information so I can utilize it to define the space around me" kind of way, not necessarily "give me useful tools so I can do what needs to be done" one. Even with feelings, she mentioned that she's uncomfortable with them, but she can deal with them if she's with someone she feels safe with. That kind of interpersonality even if subdued seems Fe-ish. Not wanting to delve deeper into personal feelings seems like the antithesis of Fi.

I'm just getting major Ti-Fe vibes here, but I'm the only one mentioning it as such.

·
Banned
8,898 Posts
Edit: Could @emberfly and @shinynotshiny explain your reasoning for Te? Everything I'm reading is that Page is using information primarily to bring understanding to herself and illuminate concepts as she understands them. Not necessarily using information as a tool to impact the external world. Nothing Page has mentioned seems designed or focused in a way to impact the external specifically. It's all about using information to find answers and problem solve for an inner logical quotient.

All of her thoughts seemed to be aimed primarily in a "give me more information so I can utilize it to define the space around me" kind of way, not necessarily "give me useful tools so I can do what needs to be done" one. Even with feelings, she mentioned that she's uncomfortable with them, but she can deal with them if she's with someone she feels safe with. That kind of interpersonality even if subdued seems Fe-ish. Not wanting to delve deeper into personal feelings seems like the antithesis of Fi.

I'm just getting major Ti-Fe vibes here, but I'm the only one mentioning it as such.
I don't see Fe unless you mean to say her Fe is inferior, in which case I would need a quick rundown of how inferior Fe manifests.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts