Personality Cafe banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I read somewhere that ENFP leaders are natural leaders. Are chosen by the people and are not controlling, but will interpret the people opinion and will teach the people that their opinion matters. Then mobilizes the crowd and will lead to change, to a better world!

I recently saw the matrix trilogy again. And something I noticed is that morpheus is a ENFP too. A inspirer of people. Now I know not all of you like the matrix movies, but let's just concentrate on the speaking of Morpheus in the following scene's:

YouTube - Red-pill/Blue Pill

In this scene he:
- Is a great NATURAL leader and appears humble (...no the honor is mine...)
- Speaks slow and uses empathy (I imagine..../ I can see it in your eyes)
- Uses metaphoric language (...tumbling down the rabbit hole.. )
- Uses sympathy to convince the other party; first a life-lesson (do you believe in faith?), no --> why not? (why is the question used by idealists, how is the question used by rationalists), and after Neo his answer it comes: I know exactly what you mean (finger pointing). Then he uses empathy and sympathy to convince the rest of the scene.
- When he has won Neo his trust he does not control him (as a ENFP leader wouldn't do), but he gives him a choice.

Next scene:

YouTube - Zion, hear me!

A speech included with:

- Honesty ( It is true the fluffy machines are coming)
- Empathy ( A killer machine army is coming and the group is afraid; also he uses the question 'Why?!' includes empathy (every person would think of why))
- and more...

The thing is he turns fear/anxiety into courage and concentration. A true ENFP leader as I see it.

Now watch this one:

YouTube - Barack Obama: Yes We Can

- Honesty
- Sympathy (You and I want change)
- Empathy (ppl are tired of washington today)
- Turns anxiety/fear and helplessness into doing things into mobilization.

Now the last movie and just compare them with the others:

YouTube - Martin Luther King "I have a dream"

Now I think a ENFP will only stand and become a natural leader if there is somehow a feeling of wrongness-done-to-people (or worldpeace/dishonesty/lieing leaders/ no freedom/injustice/ etc) born inside of the ENFP. I think the ENFP uses his empathy to understand people and if he lives in a wrongdoing enviroment long enough he gets pissed off and will mobilizes the people to get things done!

Now the question here is: What do you think of natural leaders of the ENFP type?

Reactions: jcatenaci

·
Registered
100 Posts
Wow! Oo Amazing... I totally agree with you! I also rewatched the trilogy and got the same feeling about Morpheus. I couldn't have explained it better than you. =D Awesome!

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you !:proud:

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
sorry to be the voice of critique but i think those qualities are transferable to any NF- and i actually think morpheus is an INFJ. i reckon Obama and possibly MLK are ENFPs though.

truly great ENFPs can lead through that kind of inspiration and belief, but few of us are going to reach that kind of motivation and belief. in regular life most ENFPs who lead through belief are considered "hippies" simply because if our beliefs are strong enough to inspire a group they are likely to be very liberal. we're far more likely to display leadership through our extroversion and ability to "manage" groups. that is a far more common form of ENFP leadership- through example; that social position and having a lot of social contacts doesn't mean we can't try to be considerate in every moment. that we make everyone feel included and everyone can feel our genuine joy for life.
i think obama has both these skills though- the ability to inspire through example and the ability to inspire through belief.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your post tridentus.

Did you ever felt greatly inspired and got into believing or following the idea/person? You wanted to teach this way to others and inspire them ? My reply to your opinion that a few ENFP's are likely to reach a strong kind of motivation and belief is that it is true. I think that an ENFP gets to be an advocate, a leader, a righteous manipulating but none controlling person to convince it's direct social environment.

Did you ever got such a focus in a discussion that you convinced the other person with such hard arguments whether logical or emotional based on the other' personality? Well keep yourself in a relaxed and controlled state in that situation and you will be a Morpheus. I think he is not an INFJ, because an INFJ in a leadership role likes to get things done ONLY his way. At least that is my experience with this kind of leaders. Do you agree with me on this point (when not could you point out with examples why morpheus is an INFJ) ?

I also want to comment on your statement that ENFP's become hippies or are seen like when they have very liberal ideas. I think these could be the leaders @ demonstrations/protests. I think a more intrapersonal and interpersonal leader knows this is not the way to convince people of the righteous belief. I think these ENFP's would know their idea is the goal and the social enviroment is their starting point. They need to draw their social enviroment to their idea/belief. I think the way is to be honest in a way, emphasizing and sympathizing. Just like MLK, Obama and Morpheus.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I was thinking... Do you think he could be an ENFJ? He seems to be much focused than us. I don't know, just guessing... He seems like an E to me, and he is undoubtely an NF. On the other hand, I can't define if he is a P or a J...:unsure:

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You got me thinking.. It seems more fit. Helping people and knowing what makes people tick. It only bothers me that he dpes not need any feedback about his gooddoing. About his prophecy. He knows its true.

You did make me thinking. Maybe i am an xnfx. I have many skillsets of every type except infj. I feel myself mostly connected to the enfx side :)

My question for you - as we have almost the same multiple intelligences - is how far are you enfj and enfp in people skills?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Well, I'm an ENFP, and lately I developed my people skills pretty well. I've been studying so much the human behavior and the human brain. It's really interesting.:laughing:
But talking about Morpheus, he is really so sure about things. As an ENFP I can say I'm really a inspiring guy, but I'm also a doubt fountain. By the way, he can be an ENFP who are really convinced about one cause or purpose, it is possible. There's a few things I'm sure in life, but when we believe in a cause we really believe it.:happy:

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
ENFPs got the goods for it.

N ==> Vision, imagining possible strategies
Fi ==> Knowing what makes people tick, to mobilize them
Te ==> Able to use ENTJ/ESTJ traits to get things done.
E ==> Able to go on talk shows and interviews with Barbara Walters every night without shooting self.

I tend to find myself in leader roles, and sometimes I seek them, but usually it's too much work, and it's easier to kick back and find a way to get the credit. ;-P

1 - 9 of 9 Posts