Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

So I've recently been typed as INFP. While this is all fine and dandy and all, I want to make sure I am, in fact, and Fi-dom. Here are a few concerns:

-I feel like I might be a bit too emotionally expressive for an Fi-dom
-I do care a lot about what others think, and I consider myself fairly selfless
-I don't care to admit this much, but I often feel the desire (or need) to impose my views on others. I try to repress it, and let everyone think their own thoughts, but it happens.

This is why I'm a bit confused as to whether I am an Fi user. Otherwise, Fi seems pretty accurate.

So I have a few questions for anyone who knows a lot about Fi dominance, or who has it themselves. Basically, what is it like? Is it foggy, maybe a bit unconscious? Can you basically describe it for me? Please, any help will be appreciated.

------------------

And for the hell of it, I'll mention you three just in case you want to know what's going on here.
@shinynotshiny @Jinsei @Blue Soul

·
Registered
INTJ 5w4 Sx/Sp
2,387 Posts
Fi is about sharing your internal emotions, experiences or values with others, as opposed to looking for others' emotions and satisfying their needs before your own. This is not empathy, both are capable of that.

Read this for some more guidance:

Introverted Feeling (Fi) vs. Ti, Ni, & Fe

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Fi is about sharing your internal emotions, experiences or values with others, as opposed to looking for others' emotions and satisfying their needs before your own. This is not empathy, both are capable of that.

Read this for some more guidance:

Introverted Feeling (Fi) vs. Ti, Ni, & Fe
Okay, I see. Most of Fi seems accurate. Here's a few questions, however.

Since Fi is introverted in direction, IFPs may not even look like Feelers when viewed from without. Unless they are using their Se or Ne auxiliary, IFPs can seem cold, aloof, and uninviting. With that said, their emotions can still be read, to some degree, through their facial expressions and body language.

This doesn't really describe me. I'm pretty emotionally expressive outwardly. Although, I can control my emotions and at times I am not outwardly emotional, in general I'm fairly warm and friendly to most people.

While FPs (especially IFPs) may feel they have little control over other people, they feel the one thing they can control and regulate is their own inner world—their own feelings, values, and decisions.

While this is partially true, I feel like I'm also capable of impacting others as well.

They seem particularly moved by those who can’t help themselves—those with special needs, the disabled, impoverished, and, of course, children and animals.

Well of course I care about people with disabilities, I don't just care about them. I care about everyone and the whole of humanity.

While Fe turns to others for emotional support and kinship, Fi deals with emotional matters independently. When IFPs do opt to outwardly express their feelings, tastes, or values, they often do so through other functions in their functional stack. They may express themselves through action (Se), hints or suggestions (Ne), or matter-of-fact statements (Te).

I'm not sure how I feel about this. While I do tend to try and keep my emotions to myself, I often end up benefiting better from just talking about them to someone. Also, I tend to directly share my emotions.

--
Ugh, I relate to both Fe and Fi, but I just don't know..,

·
Registered
404 Posts
Fi and Fe are like opposites in the area of values/ethics/morals.

It's not really about "Fe cares for other people. Fi cares for yourself." Not at all.

Fe is about group/community values and harmonizing values. Both Fi and Fe deal with what is right/wrong, good/evil, but Fe will tend to want everyone to be on the same page. It'll be uncomfortable with disagreements in this area. Fe is collective while Fi is individualistic.

A type like ENFJ will have an approach like "We all need to work together to do what is best for everyone."
A type like INFP is more like "Everyone needs to be their own unique person."

Fe is conformist. Fi is non-conformist. How exactly it'll look depends on the other functions (Sensing, intuition) around it and it what positions these functions are located (1st, 2nd, 3rd, or 4th).

A dominant Fe type is typically going to be very charismatic, very engaging with the people around them. Auxiliary Fe won't be that way, but typically very interested in group harmony and uncomfortable standing out from the crowd. But it'll vary depending on if the Fe is paired with Si or with Ni.

For Fi, dominant Fi is usually going to be quite serious and deep, very non-conformist and protective of their unique identity. How they express their identity will vary depending on if they are Ne or Se. Auxiliary Fi will be very individualistic, but their primary drive will be the dominant Ne or Se, plus they'll have tertiary Te to balance it out.

The biggest difference between Fe and Fi is the collectivist values vs individual values.

·
Registered
INTJ 5w4 Sx/Sp
2,387 Posts
I think you might be reading too much into this.

Since Fi is introverted in direction, IFPs may not even look like Feelers when viewed from without. Unless they are using their Se or Ne auxiliary, IFPs can seem cold, aloof, and uninviting. With that said, their emotions can still be read, to some degree, through their facial expressions and body language.

This doesn't really describe me. I'm pretty emotionally expressive outwardly. Although, I can control my emotions and at times I am not outwardly emotional, in general I'm fairly warm and friendly to most people.
Being an Fi-user doesn't mean that you're emotionally unexpressive, you can be very expressive when you want to (especially as dominant feeler), but sometimes you can keep your emotions to yourself.

While FPs (especially IFPs) may feel they have little control over other people, they feel the one thing they can control and regulate is their own inner world—their own feelings, values, and decisions.

While this is partially true, I feel like I'm also capable of impacting others as well.
Fi can work in tandem with other functions to make you very convincing to others, it's all about the mindset.

While Fe turns to others for emotional support and kinship, Fi deals with emotional matters independently. When IFPs do opt to outwardly express their feelings, tastes, or values, they often do so through other functions in their functional stack. They may express themselves through action (Se), hints or suggestions (Ne), or matter-of-fact statements (Te).

I'm not sure how I feel about this. While I do tend to try and keep my emotions to myself, I often end up benefiting better from just talking about them to someone. Also, I tend to directly share my emotions.
These are just some narrow examples and generalizations, I'm sure you can find more things you care about in your life.

·
Banned
8,898 Posts
Okay, I see. Most of Fi seems accurate. Here's a few questions, however.

They seem particularly moved by those who can’t help themselves—those with special needs, the disabled, impoverished, and, of course, children and animals.

Well of course I care about people with disabilities, I don't just care about them. I care about everyone and the whole of humanity.

--
Ugh, I relate to both Fe and Fi, but I just don't know..,
You're very young. You may be mature for your age but you're still going through typical teenage stuff. People who use Fi can be very emotional depending on the circumstances. They can also be warm and friendly.

This morning I came across a post where @alittlebear linked to a tumblr run by angelcat. She describes how Fi manifests in each position (dominant, auxiliary, etc). I could really relate to her description of tertiary Fi. Here is the post.

P.S. @angelcat, I hope it's okay that I linked to your tumblr. I'm finding it helpful :)

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think you might be reading too much into this.

Being an Fi-user doesn't mean that you're emotionally unexpressive, you can be very expressive when you want to (especially as dominant feeler), but sometimes you can keep your emotions to yourself.

Fi can work in tandem with other functions to make you very convincing to others, it's all about the mindset.

These are just some narrow examples and generalizations, I'm sure you can find more things you care about in your life.
Ah, I see. Thank you.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fi and Fe are like opposites in the area of values/ethics/morals.

It's not really about "Fe cares for other people. Fi cares for yourself." Not at all.

Fe is about group/community values and harmonizing values. Both Fi and Fe deal with what is right/wrong, good/evil, but Fe will tend to want everyone to be on the same page. It'll be uncomfortable with disagreements in this area. Fe is collective while Fi is individualistic.

A type like ENFJ will have an approach like "We all need to work together to do what is best for everyone."
A type like INFP is more like "Everyone needs to be their own unique person."

Fe is conformist. Fi is non-conformist. How exactly it'll look depends on the other functions (Sensing, intuition) around it and it what positions these functions are located (1st, 2nd, 3rd, or 4th).

A dominant Fe type is typically going to be very charismatic, very engaging with the people around them. Auxiliary Fe won't be that way, but typically very interested in group harmony and uncomfortable standing out from the crowd. But it'll vary depending on if the Fe is paired with Si or with Ni.

For Fi, dominant Fi is usually going to be quite serious and deep, very non-conformist and protective of their unique identity. How they express their identity will vary depending on if they are Ne or Se. Auxiliary Fi will be very individualistic, but their primary drive will be the dominant Ne or Se, plus they'll have tertiary Te to balance it out.

The biggest difference between Fe and Fi is the collectivist values vs individual values.
Is it possible to develop your own separate, individualistic views but still wish for the entire group to have the same views as you?

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You're very young. You may be mature for your age but you're still going through typical teenage stuff. People who use Fi can be very emotional depending on the circumstances. They can also be warm and friendly.

This morning I came across a post where @alittlebear linked to a tumblr run by angelcat. She describes how Fi manifests in each position (dominant, auxiliary, etc). I could really relate to her description of tertiary Fi. Here is the post.

P.S. @angelcat, I hope it's okay that I linked to your tumblr. I'm finding it helpful :)
Okay, I see. I think I relate to Fi a lot, and any parts that I do not will probably develop as I get older.

Reactions: Immolate

·
Registered
9,085 Posts
Hi,

So I've recently been typed as INFP. While this is all fine and dandy and all, I want to make sure I am, in fact, and Fi-dom. Here are a few concerns:

-I feel like I might be a bit too emotionally expressive for an Fi-dom
-I do care a lot about what others think, and I consider myself fairly selfless
-I don't care to admit this much, but I often feel the desire (or need) to impose my views on others. I try to repress it, and let everyone think their own thoughts, but it happens.

This is why I'm a bit confused as to whether I am an Fi user. Otherwise, Fi seems pretty accurate.

So I have a few questions for anyone who knows a lot about Fi dominance, or who has it themselves. Basically, what is it like? Is it foggy, maybe a bit unconscious? Can you basically describe it for me? Please, any help will be appreciated.

------------------

And for the hell of it, I'll mention you three just in case you want to know what's going on here.
@shinynotshiny @Jinsei @Blue Soul
Ooh, am I the token Fe friend now? Cool.

To sort of respond to the things you don't think are Fi -

I'm going to come back with a handful of Socionics links and probably a Socionics test. I think the Socionics descriptions of functions and types are great (apart from labels like "Hamlet," but 2/e), and that might help you. The emotionally expressive thing really seems Fe to me, but again like everyone is emotionally expressive, I think Fe users just go out of our way to use it to make others feel better and show our emotion which you don't get as much with Fi, to my knowledge... regardless, I'll be back with those links soon.

In regards to you being selfless, I would ask - how are you selfless? Why do you consider yourself selfless? Honestly I consider myself fairly selfish... but then again, I'm Catholic and have grown up hearing what a terrible, selfish person I am. I've heard Fe users and Fi users call themselves selfless, but they tend to have different reasons for saying it.

I don't know about the wanting other people to share your views. I've seen that in... everyone, really, but most notably in one of my INFP best friends and some older ESTJs I know. They just can't fathom how someone could be so stupid/unkind as to not agree with them. But then again, I've also seen it in my ISFJ friend, who just... cannot fathom people disagreeing with her, like if you say you think Obama isn't a super nice guys he will feel attacked and want to withdraw so there isn't more conflict. She also just has a hard time comprehending the idea that people don't agree on everything. And I do see that in FJs - myself included - where we can't understand why people don't do this or that or that, but... Honestly, I can't imagine wanting to impose my views on someone? I mean I def do if someone has a socially harmful opinion - seeing those with psychiatric disorders as not human, dehumanizing racial minorities, wanting to drop a giant nuclear bomb in the Middle East - but outside those extremes I don't care if other people have different opinions mostly. So I geuss I would ask what it is about your opinions that makes you want to impose them on others.

I'll try to talk lightly about my Fe in a second, but for now I'm going to go get those Socionics links.

·
Registered
INTJ 5w4 Sx/Sp
2,387 Posts
Is it possible to develop your own separate, individualistic views but still wish for the entire group to have the same views as you?
Absolutely. I think the main difference is that Fe will look to unify the group first, and then conform and decide afterwards. Fi will delve into themselves first, and if they see the need to make an impact on others they certainly can.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Well yeah, everyone would like others to believe like how they do. That's just human nature and normal, not related to personality type.

·
Registered
9,085 Posts
Okay sorry to double post but here's the Socionics test I mentioned. It's not always accurate, but I find it one of the more accurate tests. The answers to the questions aren't as obvious as they usually are, I find. @shinynotshiny you might find this test interesting as well, if you haven't taken it already? I forget, I know some people are really familiar with Socionics but I forget which ones
Tests

BRB with more links ~

Alright, not a link, but see if you relate to this any? It has a lot to do with facial expression, which you obviously brought up

EII usually has an analyzing, insightful gaze, which is attentive but soft, sometimes seems a little scattered and detached, other times inspecting and confused. Now and then his gaze expresses a silent reproach as the result concealed and unexpressed thoughts or impressions. His eyes are often expressive showing feelings of kindness, sympathy, or offense. At times they show some hidden pain or melancholy, and much more rarely - happiness. The mimicry of EII's face, to the contrary, is very modest. Most frequently his face seems calm and impassive, inspired, although a little tense. Sometimes it acquires a half-smile that is modest and discreet. His poses and gestures are undemonstrative. He is usually a little bit restrained in conversation. The tone of his voice is not loud, even his exclamations are somewhat muted. Usually he is not verbose and grandiloquent, only in rare cases when he has to defend his opinions and principles. He won't always enter into argument, nevertheless he is very stubborn and determined in his way
I'll hold off on flooding you with further information for now.

Reactions: Immolate

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ooh, am I the token Fe friend now? Cool.

To sort of respond to the things you don't think are Fi -

I'm going to come back with a handful of Socionics links and probably a Socionics test. I think the Socionics descriptions of functions and types are great (apart from labels like "Hamlet," but 2/e), and that might help you. The emotionally expressive thing really seems Fe to me, but again like everyone is emotionally expressive, I think Fe users just go out of our way to use it to make others feel better and show our emotion which you don't get as much with Fi, to my knowledge... regardless, I'll be back with those links soon.

In regards to you being selfless, I would ask - how are you selfless? Why do you consider yourself selfless? Honestly I consider myself fairly selfish... but then again, I'm Catholic and have grown up hearing what a terrible, selfish person I am. I've heard Fe users and Fi users call themselves selfless, but they tend to have different reasons for saying it.

I don't know about the wanting other people to share your views. I've seen that in... everyone, really, but most notably in one of my INFP best friends and some older ESTJs I know. They just can't fathom how someone could be so stupid/unkind as to not agree with them. But then again, I've also seen it in my ISFJ friend, who just... cannot fathom people disagreeing with her, like if you say you think Obama isn't a super nice guys he will feel attacked and want to withdraw so there isn't more conflict. She also just has a hard time comprehending the idea that people don't agree on everything. And I do see that in FJs - myself included - where we can't understand why people don't do this or that or that, but... Honestly, I can't imagine wanting to impose my views on someone? I mean I def do if someone has a socially harmful opinion - seeing those with psychiatric disorders as not human, dehumanizing racial minorities, wanting to drop a giant nuclear bomb in the Middle East - but outside those extremes I don't care if other people have different opinions mostly. So I geuss I would ask what it is about your opinions that makes you want to impose them on others.

I'll try to talk lightly about my Fe in a second, but for now I'm going to go get those Socionics links.
Ah, sorry. You're one of the only ExFJs I know, so I felt it would be the best to ask you.

I guess I consider myself selfless in the sense that I care about others, and that I am willing to help, aid, and be kind to others and do things for them. I, however, will say no to certain things that I think are bad and I'm stubborn in that sense.

Also, I guess because I'm younger I have this desire to fit in and feel harmony with everyone around me. Why I'd want to impose my views on others? If 1.) I believe their views are bad or hurting someone or 2.) I want everyone to feel good because I want to fit in. This, however may be Fi combined with adolescent insecurity and it may not be Fe. Also, you mentioned yourself you'd never do that, so I don't think it is Fe.

Reactions: Pressed Flowers

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Okay sorry to double post but here's the Socionics test I mentioned. It's not always accurate, but I find it one of the more accurate tests. The answers to the questions aren't as obvious as they usually are, I find. @shinynotshiny you might find this test interesting as well, if you haven't taken it already? I forget, I know some people are really familiar with Socionics but I forget which ones
Tests

BRB with more links ~
Oh, thank you. I'm pretty familiar with socionics but I've never taken that test before. I'll tell you what I get as results, if that helps at all. Also, take your time with the other links.

Reactions: Pressed Flowers

·
Registered
9,085 Posts
Ah, sorry. You're one of the only ExFJs I know, so I felt it would be the best to ask you.

I guess I consider myself selfless in the sense that I care about others, and that I am willing to help, aid, and be kind to others and do things for them. I, however, will say no to certain things that I think are bad and I'm stubborn in that sense.

Also, I guess because I'm younger I have this desire to fit in and feel harmony with everyone around me. Why I'd want to impose my views on others? If 1.) I believe their views are bad or hurting someone or 2.) I want everyone to feel good because I want to fit in. This, however may be Fi combined with adolescent insecurity and it may not be Fe. Also, you mentioned yourself you'd never do that, so I don't think it is Fe.
Aw, don't worry about it. I was joking :)

Hmm. Well, there's not much I can say doesn't apply to me in your description of why you're selfless... but I wonder, can Fi users not be described by those selfless qualities? I hate to ask you another question on a question (obviously that's what I did in your other thread, unfortunately, but maybe we'll get somewhere here...) but why do you do those things? Why are you kind, why do you help, why do you care? And I'm not quite sure how an Fi user would be motivated to do those things, so I might have to call in an Fi user but we'll see if it comes to that.

Mm, well, I do like imposing things for harmony? Like when people are making fun of a substitute teacher or something I feel sick inside and I wish they would stop because seeing her so uncomfortable makes me really uncomfortable. And like when we review people's work in class, I always wish I could sprinkle kindness onto other people so they could have their opinions, but have them more softly and considerately. To just be quite honest wanting to impose your beliefs on others so everyone feels good and because it's hurting someone seems pretty Fe to me... Correct me if I'm wrong, someone, but that just seems Fe.

Reactions: Telepathis Goosus

·
Registered
404 Posts
I found this quote from this page: Funky MBTI in Fiction - My life as an INFJ - My life as an INFJ

Describes what Fe is like for an INFJ.

Fe: Though I hate to admit it, my emotions are strongly connected to the feelings of other people. If the people around me are sad or uncomfortable, I cannot be comfortable or not sad simply because they are. I have a need to be liked by the people around me and often don’t show people my writing because I don’t want them to hate it. I have a strong urge to understand people, which is what mostly attracts me to mbti. I value close relationships greatly because I need someone to confide in, and want someone to share my emotions and understand me. I have a fluid morality that oftentimes offends my ENFP cousin.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Aw, don't worry about it. I was joking :)

Hmm. Well, there's not much I can say doesn't apply to me in your description of why you're selfless... but I wonder, can Fi users not be described by those selfless qualities? I hate to ask you another question on a question (obviously that's what I did in your other thread, unfortunately, but maybe we'll get somewhere here...) but why do you do those things? Why are you kind, why do you help, why do you care? And I'm not quite sure how an Fi user would be motivated to do those things, so I might have to call in an Fi user but we'll see if it comes to that.

Mm, well, I do like imposing things for harmony? Like when people are making fun of a substitute teacher or something I feel sick inside and I wish they would stop because seeing her so uncomfortable makes me really uncomfortable. And like when we review people's work in class, I always wish I could sprinkle kindness onto other people so they could have their opinions, but have them more softly and considerately. To just be quite honest wanting to impose your beliefs on others so everyone feels good and because it's hurting someone seems pretty Fe to me... Correct me if I'm wrong, someone, but that just seems Fe.
Hmm, well I think I care because I love people, and I love to be kind to them. I want everyone to be happy, and while I do tend to develop my own values, I want those values to be true, good ones that can help mankind. I guess I do it to help humanity, because I love others and I want them to be happy as well.

Yeah, I agree with that. I tend to try and have everyone agree for the sake of harmony. There's this sort of giddy feeling that I get when everyone is on the same page and happy. I'm also pretty skilled at talking about my emotions, and I have a close friend who I talk to about them a lot. Although, that could be either Fe or Fi.

By the way, on the socionics quiz, I got EII-0 as first choice and IEI 98% as likely. EII seems pretty darn accurate, but IEI has a lot of similarities as well.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)

·
Banned
8,898 Posts
Test Results
Your Sociotype: ILI-1Ni (INTp)

LIE (ENTj): 88% as likely as ILI.
LII (INTj): 75% as likely as ILI.
IEI (INFp): 58% as likely as ILI.

INFp confuses me...

Sorry, Goosey. I don't mean to derail. Which type do you think represents your personality overall? EII or IEI?

I actually took this test a few weeks ago. I didn't realize it was the same test because the formatting changed. My results were also INTp. The three alternates were INTj, ENTj, and ISTp (?) Does anyone know what 1Ni signifies? I got 0 the first time around.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts