Personality Cafe banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. How do you experience Ni and how often, if ever, does it take precedence over your Te?

2. Where does your self confidence come from? Is it innate? Or do you have to develop it over time.

3. How often do you experience self doubt, what is that self doubt typically related to, and what is your remedy for it?

4. For what reason(s) do you typically seek out positions of power and/or influence?

5. How do you deal with situations in which you are forced to submit to incompetent superiors?

6. In general what is your work ethic like, how much time is dedicated to "work and play" respectively?

7. If you were to fail at something horribly after putting in legitimate effort, and that thing was highly important to you, how would you respond at that point? For example do you contemplate? Sulk for a while? or do you dive right back into things unaffected?

8. What are your personal standards for success, what must you accomplish before considering yourself "successful."

BONUS: So far as leadership I've found that percentage wise, ISTJs, ESTJs, ENTJs, then INTJs dominate, in that order. What do you think of the leadership styles of those types, and which, if any, would you be most willing to follow, given they were competent?

Reactions: Moya

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
1. How do you experience Ni and how often, if ever, does it take precedence over your Te?
It tends not to, for the most part it's like something tapping me on the shoulder and going "look what's going to happen over there.

2. Where does your self confidence come from? Is it innate? Or do you have to develop it over time.
We're not supposed to tell anyone this, but we have a secret awesome punch we keep in the lounge.

3. How often do you experience self doubt, what is that self doubt typically related to, and what is your remedy for it?
1. Rarely.
2. Not feeling competent.
3. Being a man about it.

4. For what reason(s) do you typically seek out positions of power and/or influence?
To crush my foes and hear their women and children weep.

5. How do you deal with situations in which you are forced to submit to incompetent superiors?
I undermine them, work around them, confront them, and otherwise work to have them removed.

6. In general what is your work ethic like, how much time is dedicated to "work and play" respectively?
Depends on how interesting work is, if it's really interesting I don't really need time off. I'm not sure what this "play" thing is.

7. If you were to fail at something horribly after putting in legitimate effort, and that thing was highly important to you, how would you respond at that point? For example do you contemplate? Sulk for a while? or do you dive right back into things unaffected?
See point 3 for question 3.

8. What are your personal standards for success, what must you accomplish before considering yourself "successful."
Master of the universe and what lies beyond.

BONUS: So far as leadership I've found that percentage wise, ISTJs, ESTJs, ENTJs, then INTJs dominate, in that order. What do you think of the leadership styles of those types, and which, if any, would you be most willing to follow, given they were competent?
ISTJ leadership style - Generally bad leaders, they should be more of a "controller" type person who just makes sure that everyone fills out their TPS reports correctly. If they are to lead it should be in an environment where change and adaptation is not a part of daily life.

ESTJ leadership style - Decent if their job is to enforce an already designed system, but they should not be permitted to design or influence the systems they enforce.

ESTJ and ISTJ in my experience tend to lean towards what has been classified as Power and Role cultures, which is the "old style" of leadership that most modern human resource management tends to eschew in favor of more productive approaches. I may be colored by having worked in an SJ created system for the last few years, but generally an SJ system will be great at details, but totally lack any form of coherence as a whole. The system will also frequently have marks of being designed in an anti-TQM style.

INTJ and ENTJ tend to make better top management, system designers or planners but can suffer with the follow through (INTJ) or the details (ENTJ) that's where it's useful to have a few SI-dom and SI-aux people with you to take care of what by XNTJ is viewed as "pointless details". The leadership style of XNTJ tends to fall into Task culture more than role culture, but can have elements of a Power culture (Jack Welch at GE for instance).

Reactions: Helweh18 and seiei

·
Chatterbox, MOTM August 2013
10,959 Posts
It's running in the background, making sense of things floating around in my head, and BOOM ... epiphany ... and I just "know" the direction something needs to go and can "see" how to get there. Sometimes it can be something (seemingly) random that sparks it.

I would say it's innate, but I've learned how to harness it and fine tune it over time. I think until you learn that, it comes across more as arrogance rather than confidence.

Usually when I doubt myself it's because somewhere along the line I've made an error in reasoning something out. It's like I want to kick myself for missing it. Like this quote by Mark Twain: "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."

The remedy? Suck it up, Buttercup, you fucked up. Admit it, fix it, learn from it, move on. Kind of like @Scelerat said, "be a man about it". :wink:

For me it's not so much about seeking out power, it's more about being in a position to not let anyone have power over me. As long as I'm running the show, I don't have to answer to anyone else.

Also, I don't necessarily seek it out. Sometimes it comes to me. I've posted this elsewhere in the forum, but I've always had a sort of pied piper quality about me. I have the ability draw people in and show them the direction I think something should go. It's more about leadership than it is about acquiring power.

The key word in that sentence is "incompetent". If they are incompetent, they are a drag on the rest of the work force, the project and ultimately the company. I'm going to figure out how to work around them, or find a way to take them out. I see it like an act of self-preservation - fragging the lieutenant who if left unchecked is going to get the platoon killed due to his own stupidity.

If the person is a superior with a different (but I think incorrect) approach (but competent), I work with a "keep your friends close, but keep your enemies closer" strategy. I keep my eye on them. I learn where they are vulnerable and exploit it to my advantage later. Reconnaissance.

I kind of run on full throttle all the time. I don't need a lot of down time when I'm knee-deep in something. I can take a little time off to wind down and regroup when it's done, but there is always --> the next thing.

I don't really see failure as failure, more like an opportunity to learn something. Sulking is pointless. So, yes, dive right back in, a little wiser.

I'm not sure how to answer that. They are my personal standards. Why would I share them?

That percentage probably correlates with frequency of type. So ... **shrug**
Most likely to follow? Depends not so much merely on their type, but who has the right skill set for the particular job, and who I can work with based on whether or not we mesh, or find a way to mesh in order to accomplish the goal. I'd rather work for an SJ that I occasionally have a difference of opinion with who is willing to work together, than a fellow NT with whom I butt heads all the time and is hard to get along with. Everyone has strengths and weaknesses. It doesn't have to be type related.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
That percentage probably correlates with frequency of type. So ... **shrug**
Most likely to follow? Depends not so much merely on their type, but who has the right skill set for the particular job, and who I can work with based on whether or not we mesh, or find a way to mesh in order to accomplish the goal. I'd rather work for an SJ that I occasionally have a difference of opinion with who is willing to work together, than a fellow NT with whom I butt heads all the time and is hard to get along with. Everyone has strengths and weaknesses. It doesn't have to be type related.
Please, we all know that taking orders from an SJ is like H.L Mencken's quote on democracy. It's a hard choice, but I think I'd rather discuss solipsism with an INTP.

·
Chatterbox, MOTM August 2013
10,959 Posts
Please, we all know that taking orders from an SJ is like H.L Mencken's quote on democracy. It's a hard choice, but I think I'd rather discuss solipsism with an INTP.
No, I don't think we all know that. I don't think that "we all" would phrase it as taking orders, either.

This is merely your experience and opinion.

In my example:

I'd rather work for an SJ that I occasionally have a difference of opinion with who is willing to work together, than a fellow NT with whom I butt heads all the time and is hard to get along with. Everyone has strengths and weaknesses. It doesn't have to be type related.
I've worked for many SJs in my career. Did I always agree with their management style? No. We think differently. Yes, some of them had what I thought was a very stuck in the same way of doing things mentality that made it difficult to present new ideas, or change existing policies. But my approach was always to first try to get them see that my ideas may have merit even though they differed from their way of thinking. To present my ideas in a way that made sense to them, where they could see that in application the Big Idea could work for the better. Did they always agree? No, not always, but they listened, and were more likely to listen to the next one because of the way I presented myself and my ideas. Sometimes they let me run with it. But just because I thought my idea was sound doesn't mean that it would have worked within their management style, or been beneficial to the department. It wasn't my call to make ... it was theirs. It was their department. Aside from the occasional clash of ideas, we got along fine. They were pleasant to work for, and we got things done.

Did I long to get out of there and manage my own department in a different way - my way? Of course. But this doesn't mean that there was anything wrong with them, or their management style, or that they were incompetent, we just disagreed. Within the structure of the type of business and department we worked in, looking back, their skill set was actually better suited to that particular position than mine would have been.

I've also worked for a fellow ENTJ who made everyone's lives at work miserable because he couldn't get along with anyone. He was sexist, arrogant and just plain fucking obnoxious to be around. Complained about everything, slammed doors, and had a chip on his shoulder that caused him to act like a tyrant. It WAS like taking orders from him. It didn't matter how great his ideas were, no one wanted to work for him. I sure didn't.

It's not always about type. And one can't always stereotype people.

I'll take the SJ over that ENTJ any day.

Reactions: Christie42476

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I experience it all the time, it's completely subconscious; I don't see it as being in any kind of power struggle with the dominant, I see them as complimenting each other. I can't use one without using the other. It's just a completely innate mental tendency for me. I experience more of Ni's influence when I think, I experience more of Te's when I act, naturally.

Other people's approval, to be quite honest, or a sense of achievement. Bear in mind, you're hearing the perspective not only of an ENTJ but of an Enneagram 3, right now. It develops over time and oscillates depending on whatever I'm going through.

Some degree of self doubt, pretty much all the time, but I contribute that to Ni attempting to keep Te in check. When I make some kind of big decision, I try to consider many different perspectives, which I suppose is self doubt (of my instincts).

It's just more comfortable for me. I'm not comfortable giving other people power over me in major situations, so I try to take control of them. I trust my ability to make decisions, plan things, and get things done more than I trust most other people's.

It happens, and that's life, and it sucks. But I generally bitch about them to friends and try as best as I can to hold my tongue. If there's no way I can take control of the situation, I wait until it's over and I move on.

When I'm in the zone, I'm in the zone. My work ethic is very strong when I'm in a place that I can focus. I'll be able to efficiently plan, get work done, and do a good job at it. When I'm in a distracting environment, it's useless trying to get me to work. What would usually take 20 minutes might end up taking 5 hours. I need to have an environment that allows me to go into 'tunnel vision mode'.

Ugh. Sulk for a while. Probably a long while. And then go into a neutral state where I neither sulk nor dive back in, and then dive back in and try again at something else.

That's just it - the standards are personal and depend on what I'm doing. Other people's expectations of me aren't that important, it's what I want for myself. Whatever makes me feel like I'm accomplished, like I've done good, and like I don't have to do more to be satisfactory, that's success.

Reactions: seiei

·
Registered
ENTJ, 8w7
2,747 Posts
My top four functions (Te, Ne, Ni, and Ti) work in an odd sort of tandem. Usually either Te leads, but there is a secondary Ne mode I can dip into, depending on what I am doing. It seems to cleave in a Te/Ni way, or a Ne/Ti way... the former is for when I'm pruning down the number of possibilities to a single course of action, and the latter for when I'm brainstorming or otherwise trying to see all the possibilities I can. One side creates by destroying, one side destroys by creating.

Haha, my pediatrician called me "The Little General" when I was maybe four. I would say it's probably innate.

Not often, but when I do, it is intense and invariably related to Fi. I have a love/hate relationship with that function. On the one hand, it is the seat of my moral code, and I rely upon it to relate to others in any more than a 'data collection' kind of way. Without Fi, I would be some kind of sociopath. At the same time though, it is only when the Fi is fully engaged that I can really be hurt.

For me, Fi is a very primitive process, but at the same time... to one degree or another, it underlies and underwrites everything that I do. Because it is the seat of feelings and values, it also functions as my seat of motivation. It is with and through Fi that I have the drive to be more than mediocre, to excel rather than just scraping by, to ... well, to give a damn. And I don't mean the tepid, ersatz "give a damn" that most people seem to have, but I mean to actually give a damn. Not just about people, but about things, processes, all of it. Most ENTJs score either SCOEI or SLOEI on the Global 5 personality test, and I am one of the latter. I am not sure if SCOEI would relate to their Fi somewhat differently, but this is how it is for me.

I have often wondered why Fi is apparently inaccessible when I am in "Get Shit Done Mode", with the resulting near-total lack of compassion for both self and other. As near as I can tell, it's because when I am in that mode, Fi doesn't run as a parser of data or some kind of arbiter. It functions as a battery, as an engine, and as such, it is not available for commentary.

Oh damn, for so many reasons. One, I am able to do a better job than most people, and would rather be steering the operation myself than leave it to a fool. Two, I find that when you're in a position of authority, people are more inclined to behave intelligently and to not act like immature, irresponsible, idiotic little twits around you. I don't know why people should have to be made a little afraid of you for this to be the case, but apparently, this is required for many.

By undermining them every chance I get, and going over their heads to their own (hopefully competent) boss to ask questions, propose solutions, and get "marching orders". If you do it right, Incompetent Immediate Boss will stay out of your hair, just to avoid pissing off their own boss.

Even when I'm playing, I'm working. Or so I am told anyway, lol. I don't see a point in settling for "suck", in anything that you do. Learn more, practice more, get shit done, and get better.

Go off in private, and alternately contemplate, sulk, pace around, and rant to myself. And then when I am done, I formulate a plan of action as to what to do now, in order to salvage the situation.

To be the best me that I can be.

I prefer another ENTJ, but if I cannot have that, I would take an ESTJ before I would take either of the other two. Frankly, I don't like the "guess what the boss is thinking" game, or the "figure out why the boss is pissed" game, or the "guess what the boss wants" game. I like bosses who communicate their expectations in a clear and unambiguous manner, and prefer the people I work with to be at least somewhat sociable.

Reactions: seiei

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have often wondered why Fi is apparently inaccessible when I am in "Get Shit Done Mode", with the resulting near-total lack of compassion for both self and other. As near as I can tell, it's because when I am in that mode, Fi doesn't run as a parser of data or some kind of arbiter. It functions as a battery, as an engine, and as such, it is not available for commentary.
I relate to this. I've been aware of this 'sensation' but could not word it.

Reactions: Elistra
1 - 8 of 8 Posts