Personality Cafe banner

A Gamble

[INTP] 
2K views 16 replies 15 participants last post by  Sed Non Satiata 
#1 · (Edited)
If you were offered right now a chance to explore the alternate universes, but had no guarantee that you would be able to make it back to this one, would you take it?

Edit: I meant parallel universes, does that change your answer? Does it make a difference?

#3 ·
Sure, why not? It's bound to be a more interesting continuation of my life than staying in this dimension for the rest of time. It would be nice to get back here of course, but if I don't return I can always settle in another dimension/universe... or at least die happily because I have seen more than I thought I would see in my lifetime.

#8 ·
Sure. I'm tired of this one.

#10 ·
No. I'm far too attached to certain people in this world (even if 99% of it fucking annoys me).
And what would bet he point anyway? 99% of that some other universe may annoy me too. There are no guarantees there.
IN FACT, I'm going to go a step further and say that it wouldn't even be possible, for the most part.
Why? Because other parallel universe may have different physical laws of nature. How the hell would we survive?

Thus, if you meant that we could visit another universe similar to our own, you should've stuck with 'alternate universe.'
Alternate universe connotes a world very similar to our own, just different. 'Parallel universe' includes any general universe, even one based on entirely different physical mechanics.

#16 ·
I was actually toying around with this using one of my original characters, sending her to alternate universes and see who she would meet, who was dead, who was alive, etc, and she was more or less repeatedly blind-guessing which one she was originally from. In each alternate universe, she would replace the 'her' in that world, and the 'her' in the alternate universe would actually get sent to her original body for interaction with the other characters. In order to force a conflict, she would lose the universe-jumping device every time and she had to find it to make the next jump. Of course, she could choose to stay in the parallel universe she was in, and she almost does a few times because of the lure of a 'perfect' universe. Because I don't really like sad endings, she makes it back. Eventually.

tl;dr yes please.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.