Personality Cafe banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
I tried law school, public relations, data analysis, retail, film school, technical editing... And discovered how much I hate selling anything, including myself.

Now I drive a school bus, and I love it. Full-time benefits for 25 contracted hours per week. Summers off :D Intermittent interaction, but mostly I get to turn my back on everyone and just drive, one of my favorite things. It's like I have an office on wheels :) it's not for everyone, and the kids can be a handful, but for the most part I feel like a valued member of a team that's working toward a good cause, not lining someone's pockets. Least of all my own ;)

·
Banned
678 Posts
So I quit my job today. My manager offered me more money, said that he knew I was working harder than anyone and offered to give me less work. I don't think he realised that the money doesn't mean anything to me and that it's the nature of the work, not the amount that's the problem. It was nice of him to try to talk me out of throwing away my career, but it's not really for me. I agreed to stay on until the end of the month to help him out, but then I'm gone. The truth is, I don't think anything is for me so I'm just going to look into putting my things in order, travelling maybe, think about things and what I want to be doing with myself.

·
Banned
3,802 Posts
So I quit my job today. My manager offered me more money, said that he knew I was working harder than anyone and offered to give me less work. I don't think he realised that the money doesn't mean anything to me and that it's the nature of the work, not the amount that's the problem. It was nice of him to try to talk me out of throwing away my career, but it's not really for me. I agreed to stay on until the end of the month to help him out, but then I'm gone. The truth is, I don't think anything is for me so I'm just going to look into putting my things in order, travelling maybe, think about things and what I want to be doing with myself.
Imo what you did is very wise. I think too many people put too much attention on the money of a job, rather than whether or not they'll actually be happy. A recent position opened up where I work that pays quite a bit of money, but has a lot more responsibility. My manager was pretty much willing to give it to me and I told her no. Money =/= happiness.

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
Jobs I can't stand

Jobs that made me want to cry weekly if not daily: grocery retail clerk, jewelry retail clerk, bakery prep worker (the person who chops and makes icing), IT

Jobs I can stand

Jobs that have been satisfying enough: cake decorator, library assistant, aide for disabled adults, therapy assistant

Jobs where I was almost always genuinely happy to go in to work: writing tutor, retail manager (surprising)

--

I'm still not sure what I'm doing with my life, but at least I've figured these things out. :tongue:

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I don't think it's the work I mind, it's the time. Having to be in a certain place at a certain time really aggravates me, and this is especially so the longer I do something. There have been jobs that I really liked, but it was the pressure of always having to be on time that caused me to leave. One day I would just be like, "Eh, I don't want to do that anymore.", and I would quit. I am laughing, but it's pretty sad.

·
Banned
678 Posts
Imo what you did is very wise. I think too many people put too much attention on the money of a job, rather than whether or not they'll actually be happy. A recent position opened up where I work that pays quite a bit of money, but has a lot more responsibility. My manager was pretty much willing to give it to me and I told her no. Money =/= happiness.
Thanks @TheSonderer!! That's one thing that just really doesn't motivate me and some people I know think I'm crazy for that reason, but I really don't care about the money, it's not the most important thing in the world to me at the moment.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Any job, whatever it is, should have goal values. I was a software developer for a year. But I couldn't stand it because I had already master the skill of the programming language. Going everyday with the same time everyday bored me so much. I needed another challenge in the workplace that made me do my best again.

However, I still find it. Even though I am not sure about myself, but now I am pursuing to be a researcher and a lecture. I can research whatever topic that I want and develop the knowledge about that. So, if I am bored about that topic, I can move to another topic. I hope I can.

Reactions: Thread Killer

·
Registered
80 Posts
I've liked some jobs more than others, and the one I just got doesn't seem like it'll be too bad of a gig, at least so far. Choosing a long-term career has been a headache, and I haven't started out in anything I'd want long-term, but I've narrowed it down to non-profit. The whole business mindset of "anything for more profit" infuriates me. There are some companies that aren't as bad at this as others, and these are the ones I've enjoyed working for more than the others.

Reactions: Thread Killer
41 - 49 of 49 Posts