Personality Cafe banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I don't know what's wrong with me but I need help to figure things out...

Constantly, and I mean constantly, I'm thinking about what I should do with my life. I'm a single mom with a 13 month old child, currently on maternal leave, currently unemployed.

I have two different thoughts that swirls around in my head.

Number one; I hate my occupation. I'm an network engineer, self-taught, and worked at several big companies and I am mainly very happy with the years that I have spent in this business (only 6 years though). Since computers have been one of the biggest interests in my life I thought it would be a great idea to have that as my occupation. I don't know if this is the problem, that I started working with computers that has made me recent this hobby and even the occupation.
I hate sitting all day in front of a computer, the thought of having to fix a broken network could make me puke and if my own computer is not working I just want to throw out of the window, and if I did, I'm not even sure I would buy a new one ever again...
Is this just a phase? Should I ride out the storm or is it time that I do something else?

Number two; Hobbies...
As said earlier, computers were my hobby for a long time. Now it's not...
One other hobby I have is cars. I love them! Driving them, repairing them... I love the smell of gasoline, my body shivers when I hear a revving motor and I become like a child on Christmas morning when I get the opportunity to play with a BMW E34 M5. This is my absolute joy! (I guess I should learn from past mistakes and not take up a career as a mechanic, maybe my interest in cars will die?)
The problem though, cars are expensive. As a single mom with little time and even less money, tinkering with a car seems like a dream far, far away. So, maybe you guys know a substitute? Something that could catch my eye in the same way as cars do, that's not involving thousands of dollars.

I love mechanics in a forms. If I get to tinker I'm happy, and would like help on hobbies that could fulfill that.

Thanks a lot for reading!

Best regards,
Caroline

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Interests change, there's nothing wrong with shifting directions. If you don't have access to a car you can tear apart and tinker with, what about something with small engines, even go-karts and the like? I doubt it'd catch your eye the way cars do, but the mechanics aren't much different, and they can be fun to drive. High power rocketry with homemade motors and fuel is another potential avenue, although maybe dangerous with small kids around. I've spent more time than I care to admit trying to think of ways to get a micro-payload to orbit with a homemade rocket. It's impractical, but fun to think about.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Hey guys,

I don't know what's wrong with me but I need help to figure things out...

Constantly, and I mean constantly, I'm thinking about what I should do with my life. I'm a single mom with a 13 month old child, currently on maternal leave, currently unemployed.

I have two different thoughts that swirls around in my head.

Number one; I hate my occupation. I'm an network engineer, self-taught, and worked at several big companies and I am mainly very happy with the years that I have spent in this business (only 6 years though). Since computers have been one of the biggest interests in my life I thought it would be a great idea to have that as my occupation. I don't know if this is the problem, that I started working with computers that has made me recent this hobby and even the occupation.
I hate sitting all day in front of a computer, the thought of having to fix a broken network could make me puke and if my own computer is not working I just want to throw out of the window, and if I did, I'm not even sure I would buy a new one ever again...
Is this just a phase? Should I ride out the storm or is it time that I do something else?

Number two; Hobbies...
As said earlier, computers were my hobby for a long time. Now it's not...
One other hobby I have is cars. I love them! Driving them, repairing them... I love the smell of gasoline, my body shivers when I hear a revving motor and I become like a child on Christmas morning when I get the opportunity to play with a BMW E34 M5. This is my absolute joy! (I guess I should learn from past mistakes and not take up a career as a mechanic, maybe my interest in cars will die?)
The problem though, cars are expensive. As a single mom with little time and even less money, tinkering with a car seems like a dream far, far away. So, maybe you guys know a substitute? Something that could catch my eye in the same way as cars do, that's not involving thousands of dollars.

I love mechanics in a forms. If I get to tinker I'm happy, and would like help on hobbies that could fulfill that.

Thanks a lot for reading!

Best regards,
Caroline
We need constant change, period! We are curious as a giant cat but once we've mastered our interest we tend to want to move on. For a job the best thing you can do right now is to start your own business. You can take entrepreneurial courses to give you the know how to start an enterprise. That way you can be your own boss, make your own plans and routine, hand over the repetitive boredom to employees and managers who can handle, make yourself a lot of money and do whatever you want with it as in investing in whatever holds your interest at the moment. It's not easy, yes, but it's worth the try, even better if it pans out. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I know what you mean about getting tired of jobs, even those centered around interests you enjoy. After working as a repair tech in the 90s, I avoided computers entirely for two years, even as a hobby. I eventually got over it, and began tinkering with them more, and now they're an integral part of my work, but I'm careful to avoid burnout, as much as possible.

As for your mechanical leanings, aim for something similar. There are plenty of used, "broken" small engines available for nothing, if you keep your eyes open. Lawn equipment, generators, boat motors, chainsaws, mopeds, etc. You can do a lot of things with a tiny weed trimmer motor, if you're creative.

While it's not quite the same as a vehicle with hundreds of horsepower, they can be great learning tools, and give you an idea of whether you want to pursue a similar career. Also, being able to repair small engines can allow you a casual (second) income, by picking up equipment for free (or nearly free) and then selling the repaired items for a little profit. You still get to play with all that sexy grease and gasoline, too! The tools and parts you'll need for most repairs are inexpensive, and there are plenty of videos on the internet about small engine repair.

If there isn't a lot of space for working on small engines, robotics may be an alternative. You can find some pretty good, programmable, "beginner" arduino-based robots for the price of a meal at a restaurant. Of course, you'll need to use a computer, so burnout may be an issue with this route. Otherwise, I've seen a lot of people buy a couple of motors and an arduino, and build the rest of the robot from junk around the house. It's still working with your hands, albeit without the grease and neighbors complaining about the noise.

If none of those sounds good, maybe pick through items you would normally throw into the garbage, and turn them into various Rube Goldberg Machines. At the very least, you'll have fun, your child will likely find them interesting when it's older, and perhaps they'll inspire your next step in life.

Reactions: carolinitza

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We need constant change, period! We are curious as a giant cat but once we've mastered our interest we tend to want to move on. For a job the best thing you can do right now is to start your own business. You can take entrepreneurial courses to give you the know how to start an enterprise. That way you can be your own boss, make your own plans and routine, hand over the repetitive boredom to employees and managers who can handle, make yourself a lot of money and do whatever you want with it as in investing in whatever holds your interest at the moment. It's not easy, yes, but it's worth the try, even better if it pans out. Good luck!
Interesting you speak about starting my own business since I've thought about this myself. I also imagine that starting my own business would get where I need to be professionally. Hopefully that will be my plan for next year when my kid is a little bit older.

Regarding my interest I have been thinking about maybe building some robotics. Even though that means some time spent by the computer, programming is nothing I do everyday and I think it could work. Also building it will be fun! Since I'm stuck in a apartment (which I might should have told you from the beginning) I think a smaller, technically creative project would be perfect.

Thanks all for your replies. Feels better now, think I had a little meltdown when writing this post.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts