Personality Cafe banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the most part I'm a pretty nice person. But sometimes I'll have the silliest thoughts over the evilest of things.

And lets say that there's someone I don't like. Hate even. I'll do what I typically do with people I like where I step into their shoes, get a feel for what they experience, and really try to understand how they function. All while hiding behind a smile for a mask. There hasn't been an instance where I've acted on anything, but through doing this I'm pretty impressed at the amount of blackmail I've collected on a few people. The most I've done is threaten with information when someone I cared about was in danger. :mellow:

This is the only aspect of me where I begin to doubt I'm an INFP. So I'm curious if anyone else is like this.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
I think we all have that, in one way or another.

Reactions: JigglyJello

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
I laughed the first time reading about INFPs when in the description about love if unhealthy they can be manipulative. While I've stopped that in my relationships I love knowing that I have that ability. :cool:
Yeah don't make it your primary function lol. I am not sadistic myself, rather dependant. Dependant people can't be sadistic because sadists have to be in control. However I can be a perfectionist, and I think that as an INFP, when I lose my sense of reality, perfectionism can be close to sadism: enjoying to see that you are right and someone else is not. We still wouldn't wish for the other one to be hurt, though.

·
Registered
INFP 4w5 sp
5,320 Posts
no, I'm definately not sadistic, I can't stand seeing pain inflicted on others, let alone doing it myself. I don't even like 'harmless' things like practical jokes or 'friendly' insults/sarcasm. Now, I suppose it is a possibility that if someone else was really cruel and honnestly didn't feel bad about hurting others, I might then actually be inclined to hurt them in return if I was in a position to do so, but that isn't certain. I'm usually very merciful and take no pleasure in the displeasure of others, even if they seem to deserve it. Afterall, in their place I would want mercy.

I can see how INFPs could easily fall into manipulation, which is different.

Also a slightly different thing, but perhaps related to this, is my curiosity. I can almost (but not actually) picture myself as a mad scientist. There are so many psychological things it would be interesting to test, with people or animals . . . I'm not interested in really mean stuff like enduring pain and all, but still, setting up elaborate controlled lives probably isn't really....erm...nice (think truman show).

·
Registered
799 Posts
I guess, I can see why being a bit sadistic would be handy. I wish I could be able to be mean. It seems to be the prerequisite of living.

No, I'm not sadistic. Even telling a lie will bother me so much that I will need to confess at some point. I've been told that I'm too nice for my own good. I guess, I'd have to learn to be meaner, if I want to survive in this world.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Manipulative? I know I can be. It can be used for good, btw-- in negotiations or mediations, sometimes manipulating one party into seeing something from the other party's p.o.v. yields great results. It's a tool like any other than can be wielded for good or I'll.

If I am ever sadistic it's with my cutting remarks. Sometimes I wish I didn't even think some of the things I think...but at least I don't say them, unless I'm pushed really, really, really far.

·
Registered
INFP 4w5 sp
5,320 Posts
Manipulative? It can be used for good, btw-- in negotiations or mediations, sometimes manipulating one party into seeing something from the other party's p.o.v. yields great results. It's a tool like any other that can be wielded for good or ill.
Yes this is so true, and something I think people often overlook. I think very often INFPs are manipulative in a good way, subtly infusing understanding and tact into the conversations and interactions of those around them, steering people in the right direction without openly confronting or telling them what to do. I'm pretty sure we also use it for our own desires, but not without incorporating the considerations and needs of others who matter to us as well.

1,636 Posts
i have this sadistic side of me - but i don't do it in exactly your way
how can i say this...i pretty much sometimes manipulate someones reactions. When it happens to me that i don't liek certain attitude of someone towards something i tend to test their limits - i don't do this as smth planned - it's simply an instinct and i go with it. What i manipulate here is predictable reactions - but that's when someone makes me mad in a way so i unpuposely take my revange. Its not smth very mean but i do know i can provoke a conflict with it...but this came to a level that i know exactly what to say to make all my testing better. So i do that when i see that it's going into conflict.
It's a form of manipulation...but hey ho - we are all mean from time to time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts