Personality Cafe banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ahoy-ahoy.

Call me what you will. I'm new to this place, sleepless, and my mind feels dreadfully haphazard -- as if it were trapped in tight vibrations with occasional deep perturbations. There's a tendency toward clang association when I'm this way -- sleep refuses me. I have an exam tomorrow but this does not beg me to rest. Maybe if I had valerian root. Maybe if setting my head down didn't leave my thoughts rushing so painfully beneath a murky surface from which I cannot see. Better to wade through it with my head above it, soaked with thick thoughts wrapped like stretches of lake weed around phantom limbs.

I signed up here not too long ago when apathy reigned high. I haven't sunk into the discomfort of intense mixed/depressive episodes for awhile. It brings me here. It brought me to the enneagram institute, wherein in an impulse I'd not entertain while sane brought me to decide the $10 test was worth the clarity it might bring to the ambiguous distribution I laid:

The Enneagram Type Indicator Sampler Results
(RHETI Version 2.0)
Questionnaire Date: 7/23/2011 5:43:50 PM
1: ....
2: ....
3: ....
4: .......
5: .......
6: ....
7: ....
8:
9: ..

How even-handed. Since I was first exposed to the enneagram test through the lovely cartoon-filled book, "Enneagram Made Easy", 4 and 5 came close. I fancied myself more 4 at that young age. I've grown more. I've changed more. I doubt more.

The purchased test simply fueled my certainty that my natural character resisted categorization:

The Riso-Hudson Enneagram Type Indicator (RHETI) Version 2.5
Questionnaire Date 7/23/2011 7:56:52 PM
1: ............
2: .........
3: ...............
4: ..........................
5: .........................
6: ...................
7: ...................
8: ....
9: ...............

Thankfully the folks at the Enneagram Institute recognized that a point's worth of difference is a virtual tie. They normally give you your top three types/ties. They gave me four: the first tie, the second. The email, containing my results, included this line: "Since your top score is a tie or so close as to be ambiguous, we'd like to offer you a free retake of the RHETI test. We recommend that you wait a week or two before retaking the test. Your test will remain active until you take it again."

I veered toward something similar when it came to the Meyer-Briggs.

While many will test you on a simple manner of whether you're more I/E, S/N, F/T, J/P, the folks at teamtechnology.co.uk had a... unique take on things. Their website has a lovely compendium of the Meyer Briggs. Their MMDI gives you an indicator of how much you are one way or the other, oh yes. But far more fascinating is what they have to say about your WHOLE type, which, I've found, gives me far more insight than looking at any individual trait ever did.

My score varies. Last time I checked, I was cbsh. In traditional terms -- in terms of the 4 preferences -- I'm usually INFP The N is very pronounced. The I entertains some ambiguity. In their less traditional terms -- in terms of whole types -- something else emerges.

This is what the distribution looks like:

INFJ=INTJ=INFP=INTP=ENFP=ENTP (82% fit)
or
INxJ=xNxP

ISTP=ISFP=ENFJ=ENTJ (58% fit)
or
ISxP=ENxJ

ISTJ=ISFJ~ESTP=ESFP=ESTJ=ESFJ (33~34% fit)
or
ISxJ~ESxx

It's not always so even-handed, but that I am capable of scoring so evenly amuses me to no end. Heck, a daemon quiz once told me I was a multi-faceted soul.

Seems I'm a tad inscrutable.

Perhaps I like it that way.

And in perfect honesty, my interest in finding a fitting pair of labels waxes and wanes. I am more interested in the failures of these tests than their successes. A broken system is fascinating. The cracks draw me in. Contradiction and ambiguity are opportunities for challenge. I like what defies one means of categorization, begging for new means of understanding. I find these personality tests a useful place to begin.

Perhaps this is a foul means of introduction.

With heavy hands,
--PhageFish

·
Registered
5,643 Posts
I'd have to get to know you to type you, however based off of initial wording in your post i believe XNTX as above.

Also welcome the the forum ^^

Reactions: PhageFish

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Salutations, and thanks for the greetings.

Assessments! Or at the very least snap judgments! Delightful. May the theorizing continue!

I bested my exam, by the way. These past two days have been better days.

Whatever I am, my most striking feature is Extraverted Intuition on steroids. Or so it looks to me. I regularly score close to 100% iNtuitive. The xNxP family seems to fit my self-concept best, but that might be the erraticism brought out by shifting moods and other maladies adding noise to the soul. Perhaps I'd think differently if I better understood Ni -- or how Ne and Ni work in tandem, or don't. Knowing me, the knowledge will change the way I interact with the world -- if there's a new way of thinking I might try, I will excitedly take it up.

After all, I enjoy this little observation taken from typelogic.com's take on the intj: Others may see what is and wonder why; INTJs see what might be and say "Why not?!". Ideas reshape me. 's why I'm here. It might just be why I'll stay. I've got a devilish grin. I should take it deeper into the forum.

·
Registered
5,643 Posts
well if you have dominant Ni or Ne then your options are INFJ, INTJ, ENTP or ENFP

Considering you think you are a P it's down to ENTP or ENFP, and seeing as you seem more of a Thinker (Possibly a 70/30 split), i'd say you are an ENTP ^^

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If a T, a T with a high EQ. Empathy is marvelous -- I've a talent for it, but there's a craft to it atop the instinct that must be honed. I love to be an ear. I actively learn how to be a more effective ear. I'm good at guiding people through their own heads. I'm good at nurturing self-revelation. I love rapport. I love to appreciate people and to understand them. I love to teach them. I love to be taught by them. I like guiding them back to a place where they can think through something that is difficult them -- whether the difficulty comes from an emotional center or something else entirely. I despise being expected to take care of someone's emotions -- what aid I give must be given freely, and aims to help others stand on their own. Interdependence may well be beautiful, but co-dependence is ugly -- but you don't have to be a particular type to recognize that.

I think it's easy to mistype T-types as Fs if they understand people too well -- just as it's easy to mistype Fs as Ts if they're inclined to logical lines of thinking.

When asked if I prefer knowledge or expression, I say I am concerned with the expression of knowledge -- communication itself is something to be understood and broken down. Art is a means of expression. You can express a fractal by means of a formula or an image (or something else entirely). Beauty does not need to make sense, but aiming to make sense of it despite does not destroy its beauty. Self-knowledge is a type of knowledge -- thus feelings, thus the way I think, thus my understanding of your self-knowledge. Subjective and objective are human terms, subject to human limitations.

What am I? A prattler, once 3am comes around :)

·
Registered
5,643 Posts
If a T, a T with a high EQ. Empathy is marvelous -- I've a talent for it, but there's a craft to it atop the instinct that must be honed. I love to be an ear. I actively learn how to be a more effective ear. I'm good at guiding people through their own heads. I'm good at nurturing self-revelation. I love rapport. I love to appreciate people and to understand them. I love to teach them. I love to be taught by them. I like guiding them back to a place where they can think through something that is difficult them -- whether the difficulty comes from an emotional center or something else entirely. I despise being expected to take care of someone's emotions -- what aid I give must be given freely, and aims to help others stand on their own. Interdependence may well be beautiful, but co-dependence is ugly -- but you don't have to be a particular type to recognize that.

I think it's easy to mistype T-types as Fs if they understand people too well -- just as it's easy to mistype Fs as Ts if they're inclined to logical lines of thinking.

When asked if I prefer knowledge or expression, I say I am concerned with the expression of knowledge -- communication itself is something to be understood and broken down. Art is a means of expression. You can express a fractal by means of a formula or an image (or something else entirely). Beauty does not need to make sense, but aiming to make sense of it despite does not destroy its beauty. Self-knowledge is a type of knowledge -- thus feelings, thus the way I think, thus my understanding of your self-knowledge. Subjective and objective are human terms, subject to human limitations.

What am I? A prattler, once 3am comes around :)
Hmm well i still see either an ENTP with a high F or an ENFP with a high T, or perhaps an ENTP with hifg F and a heart type ennegram?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Perhaps I am an INFP who is turning into an ENTP. That's my current theory, anyway. As Ne became more and more pronounced, so did Ti. The strict veracity of this under any meyer-brigg model has yet to be assessed, but I'm not that concerned with fitting the model. Models can be changed. Some are better at explaining self than others -- or certain selves. I look forward to seeing where people agree or disagree with personality theories. I find them a good basis to start, I think, but far from the whole story.

I'm on the border between head and heart on the Enneagram -- seems to be a common theme for me :)

·
Registered
771 Posts
Welcome to the site/fourms

i have no concept of sleep time nor days.
Apathy, what a fine word - there are so few in the English language.

a test is but a test
an answer is but an answer
a person but a person they cannot change

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ha. Funny, I'm significantly taller than when I was six.

We are a process -- take a snapshot of that process at any given point in history and you might see us looking different each point along the line. What mean you, thus, when you say a person cannot change? Clearly something more specific than all the physical alterations we go through, the breaking down and absorption of sugars, the restructuring of neural networks when we learn something new.

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
Well, it seems as though you are my clone my good friend. I was also introduced to the enneagram by the book, "the enneagram made easy". I am also ironically very interested in mbti. Plus, I also have bipolar disorder. Oh and you are probably and xNxP. Almost every bipolar person that I meet is an xNxP. Personally, I am an ENFP.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Clone? Nah. I bought your identity for a nickle.

Funny how bipolar types fit xNxP so often. Wonder why.

I am growing to understand that "xxxx" is a valid type. Because the MBTI is not a perfect theory. Someone writing about the Big Five vs MBTI spoke of personality "islands" that are covered by the test, and neither MBTI nor the Big Five cover them all. Some people are in-between, and therein the inaccuracies accumulate.

People be complicated.

Not sure what I hope to gain out of being here anymore. Guess it's time to shoot into the dark.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Someone told me today they had me pegged for an INFJ. That hasn't happened in years. Granted, they've never interacted with me face-to-face, only by phone and text. Being an INFJ themselves, they may well be biased. This picture is only getting more muddled. More complex. More to discover of myself.

Reading a selection from the Enneagram Institute's Misidentifactions section here made me decide that fundamentally, I am five, and perhaps have always been five, albeit one with a very strong blend of 4 in the mix.

The Quote (enneagraminstitute.com/members/misid/4and5.asp):

Fours and Fives can resemble each other in that both are withdrawn types (PT, 433-36), both can be individualistic and eccentric by mainstream cultural standards, and both can be highly creative. Of course, there is a greater risk of mistyping with 4w5s and 5w4s.

Fives are more likely to mistype as Fours than vice versa, primarily because of simplistic definitions of the types. Some Fives have learned that Fours are more feeling-oriented, and Fives are more intellectual, and seeing that they have deep feelings presume that they must be Fours. (This is especially true with female Fives.) Also, Fives are often portrayed as scientists or engineers while Fours are creative artists. In fact, it is true that Fours are less likely to be scientists than some other types, but there are as many Fives who are artists as Fours, although their styles are somewhat different.

Fours are self-absorbed and emotionally volatile–they express their feelings one way or another, and need people to respond to them in an emotional way. Their artistic work tends to be autobiographical, based on their families, on relationships, past or unrequited, and on the content of their subjective experience. Fives may have intense feelings but share them with few people. Their feelings tend to fuel their thoughts and their imagination, leading them to more abstract or fantastic forms of creative expression. Their work is less autobiographical, and more often portrays their vision of reality. ("I paint what I see!") Fives tend to be more experimental and outlandish in their artwork. Although both types can explore personal darkness more thoroughly than most, Fours tend to focus on their disappointments in love and with their childhoods and their attendant pain. Fives tend to focus on inner emptiness and feelings of meaninglessness. Fives are more driven to penetrate the surface of things to understand, Fours to get in touch with feelings and cathartically express them. compare Fours Ingmar Bergman and Anne Rice with Fives David Lynch and Clive Barker.
That last bolded section pegs it down to a T. Fives are more driven to penetrate the surface of things to understand, Fours to get in touch with feelings and cathartically express them. "Penetrate the surface of things to understand" pretty much sums one of the central tenets of my existence. Sometimes that surface is another person. Sometime's it's me. My inner world has been growing from a young age, and I share it slowly.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts