Personality Cafe banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I will not address my target audience as "new people" or *cringe* "newbies"- as I am still new to the forum myself.

I am going to start by stating that I am not generalizing (ie. implying that all new people do this), nor is it my intention to criticize anyone who is doing it and, naturally, anyone who has done it.

I would like to remind new users that an online test(s), regardless of average correct outcomes or attempts, do not necessarily lead you to your true type.
This is not to demonize tests or invalidate results, but take it with a grain of salt and don't limit yourself to this kind of evaluation. Tests can be helpful, as in tests can arm you with some insight and show you where to start, but this is all prompted self-report. Do not skip thorough research into types and the system. A type does not necessarily need to be determined prior to delving into a system. I would think that determining type through test(/s) PRIOR to familiarizing with a system, would only make you more prone to perceiving it all through a "lens".

Secondly, the "help me with my type" threads are appreciable- but do know that through efforts to try and truly grasp a system, as oppose to just type yourself and find where you fit in it, you will more accurately be able to determine your own type.

Again, there is nothing wrong with seeking guidance. It does, however, somewhat hollow the experience, and diminish the purpose of these typologies, to approach them with impatience (& a mind set solely on determining type).

Yes, these systems enable you to understand a great deal of yourself via preferences, dominant functions, motives, and fears- but that is only the beginning, in terms of self-growth. Self growth and enhancement, being the purpose of these systems (not to mention the true value in understanding yourself). You have preferences and motives, but your personality and life are not completely rigid to a type. The goal is to manifest yourself and work to (realistically) develop the weaker aspects of your personality. Understanding functions in themselves, as well as types foreign of your own, supports this goal far more than rehearsing your own type.

In conclusion:
You are not a type with a person, you are a person with a type.
Understand that you will never understand yourself if you type-cast yourself, as oppose to type yourself.

·
Mr. CafeBot
13,103 Posts
*You are hearing a robotic sounding voice coming towards you*

Greetings onyxbrain and welcome to PersonalityCafe!! My name is Mr. CafeBot. I am here to personally greet you and thank you for joining our humble little forum. No matter your type, you will surely experience a wonderful time with the members of this forum. We cater to all personality types so you will never feel alone or weird. Truth is this forum is full of weirdos!! Pleazeee hel.... *Ahem*I mean we have the nicest people you will ever meet. :)

If you need basic forum information our newbie guide link is here...
http://personalitycafe.com/intro/2319-friendly-guide-newbies.html

To keep the forum entertaining and safe, our forum rules link is here...
http://personalitycafe.com/announcements/540-personality-cafe-forum-rules.html

If you need any help or have any suggestions, please let us know here...
http://personalitycafe.com/support-suggestions/

We will always be glad to help you!

Also don't forget to watch my music video...

Again, welcome to our forum onyxbrain. We hope that your experience with us is tremendously benevolent!

P.S. Meet my family

My Wife - http://personalitycafe.com/members/mrs-cafebot.html
My Daughter - http://personalitycafe.com/members/jenny.html
My Dog - http://personalitycafe.com/members/dog.html

·
Registered
9,017 Posts
I reckon both to be true: type with a person as well as person with a type. I reckon our type establishes itself before we become aware as people (age wise). At the same time, our experiences have a way of reinforcing or suppressing certain aspects of our type. Hence, both are true.

·
Banned
2,873 Posts
Hi,

You have preferences and motives, but your personality and life are not completely rigid to a type. The goal is to manifest yourself and work to (realistically) develop the weaker aspects of your personality. Understanding functions in themselves, as well as types foreign of your own, supports this goal far more than rehearsing your own type.

In conclusion:
You are not a type with a person, you are a person with a type.
Understand that you will never understand yourself if you type-cast yourself, as oppose to type yourself.
Bravo! The MBTI or any other system cannot ever take the full measure of a person. We are describable in a snapshot, but never definable in life. Type is not a set of mandates.

I would add that no one can, by observation, determine a type and it is demeaning to others and grandiose in oneself to believe one can. I grew up is a society that had "type" names, referring to ethnicity. "He's an abcd" is just as wrong.

Type-casting is no more than role playing. And it is plain wrong.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The person manifests the qualities of a type, the type does not manifest the person.
I am not asserting that we consciously choose our type- but the person is the body and the type is embodied.
The personality of a person could not exist without said person.

You are not boxed into one given state. If it were true, one could not logically move through levels of health. Personality has potential, but a person is potential. No one should use any system, intending to enhance "the (Enneagram type, MBTI type) in me". This is backwards. You are always yourself, first. The relationship with type is easily distorted, we all see it often.

However, that was simply the end to my post. I am more concerned with emphasizing my two points.

Reactions: redneck15

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
I wholeheartedly agree. Thanks for putting this out there; it has been done before, but it can't be repeated too often. And you have a good turn of phrase.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts