Personality Cafe banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you tend to put autocontrol in a high place?
In my case, I didn't drink, smoke or get high not even once in my life. I dislike the idea of getting drived by substances which can interfere in my reasoning.

Also with sex. I like sex as an average person, but I see the troubles that having sex even once could cause me: STD, pregnancy, being drived by the need of getting laid (wasting money and time in dates or losing focus just because I didn't had recently sex). Not that I am waiting to get married, just to find a loyal partner who satisfies me and help me in my projects.

BTW, I am not religious, currently I am agnostic theist.

Anyway. Is common this?

·
Registered
75 Posts
I think it's mature to think about the consequences of your actions but also try to remember life is for living. If you enjoy doing something and it's not illegal then why not indulge from time to time responsibly? Obviously if you do it all the time it will increase the risk of bad health but it's reasonable to enjoy the little pleasures in life. I personally don't smoke or drink but I have in the past, as I like keeping a clear head.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Autocontrol as in self-control? Yes, I am very self-controlled. Perhaps too much, sometimes.

Like you, I don't drink, smoke, or drug myself. And I am abstinent.

My choices are mine alone. They can be incredibly isolating at times, but I've also found pockets of like-minded people with whom to share my time. And I'm not opposed to sharing my time with the different-minded.

I am religious though. But an atheistic religious person. Yes, we exist.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Autocontrol as in self-control? Yes, I am very self-controlled. Perhaps too much, sometimes.

Like you, I don't drink, smoke, or drug myself. And I am abstinent.

My choices are mine alone. They can be incredibly isolating at times, but I've also found pockets of like-minded people with whom to share my time. And I'm not opposed to sharing my time with the different-minded.

I am religious though. But an atheistic religious person. Yes, we exist.
How that works?

·
Jaffa Master
7,575 Posts
Moderation, responsibility and self-respect. Anyone can enjoy any of those things while maintaining those three things. Doing any of those things doesn't imply anything else about you.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I probably do have quite a lot of self control, but i still indulge in weaknesses, as anyone.

I abhor the feeling of losing self control (although that says nothing about how much i have to lose in the first place), so i don't tend to loosen up very easily. I don't like intoxication past a certain point (it's cheaper as well by the way), and i tend to avoid unknown situations or unknown risks. I like to have a clear plan of action before i'm doing something, and i'm edgy if i don't - so i can't really enjoy myself if i don't know what is going to happen. Some people take enjoyment in just being at the mercy of whatever is going on, but they are strange.

·
Banned
3,255 Posts
I don't like to be out of control and I enjoy ascetisism. That's mainly because I am easily overwhelmed and I hate being overwhelmed more than anything.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
In my understanding inferior Se can sometimes manifest itself as a fear of becoming too consumed by the object and its sensations. It means you're afraid of getting out of your head and let go of all your control. A simple glass of beer is suddenly a frightening symbol of giving in to the decadent beast that roams inside you. There might be some merit to it though since many other INJs have a hard time preventing themselves from oversnacking.
I think you ought to look at how much of a problem this poses to you to figure out if you ought to deal with it. Perhaps you could enjoy alcohol and sex responsibly and safely and therefrom get more out of life?

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
I do try to exercise lots of self-control in my own life. If I do something retarded (i.e. drink alcohol), it could affect my standing amongst my superiors and peers. I take my reputation seriously, so I take good care to ensure that people have a good perception of me.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I don't know if it's a manifestation of the functions, but I also do this, by and large. The ultimate consequences from certain actions seem all too damaging after some consideration. Of course, that awareness requires a degree of knowledge and understanding, and without them people can make "poor" decisions.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
In my understanding inferior Se can sometimes manifest itself as a fear of becoming too consumed by the object and its sensations. It means you're afraid of getting out of your head and let go of all your control. A simple glass of beer is suddenly a frightening symbol of giving in to the decadent beast that roams inside you. There might be some merit to it though since many other INJs have a hard time preventing themselves from oversnacking.
I think you ought to look at how much of a problem this poses to you to figure out if you ought to deal with it. Perhaps you could enjoy alcohol and sex responsibly and safely and therefrom get more out of life?
I thought that, but I am like: "I have been in this world for 20 years without doing it, why break my record? lol"
I don't think I am missing too much, I enjoy reading, learning, talking with people with shared interest, playing videogames and watching movies or series, that is my idea of having a good time, not alcohol, drugs or casual sex involved

Reactions: Aerin70

·
Registered
11,987 Posts
it's actually kind of fun to be goofy, giggly drunk now and then - if you're among people you really like. if i'm among regular folks i find it just makes me sleepy and i don't see the point. so i don't drink much, but it's more because drinking for the sake of drinking doesn't hold much appeal and i rarely am in the kind of situation where it would interest me more.

drugs i don't do. again, it's not so much because i think my brain is so special and precious i must never be less than my staggering best or anything. there's no reason why i'm too good to be just as stupid as the next guy, now and then. but i tried getting stoned three times between 15 and 25 and hated them all, so that was enough to make up my mind. the weird things it does to your perception of time made me feel claustrophobic and disoriented, and the famous paranoia had an immensely emotional tone for me, more than a practical one. definite fail.

- considering that i'm picky about even such things as who i'll hold even a 'casual' conversation with, it's probably not surprising that i never got my head around the idea of 'casual' sex. it can take me months to decide that someone's worth trading words with, so forget body parts. it's more about the emotional logistics than the practical kind, i would say. i don't even want to go for coffee with most of the people i know, so you can probably see where i'm going with that.

i'm just not as into the concept of the rigidly controlled life as i might have been 25 years ago. i don't intentionally try to introduce random variables into my life, but on the other hand i think i got to a point where i realised even assuming i could keep them all out of the game was an illusion - or maybe just that the cost of doing it wasn't worth all the so-called reward. ime so far shit happens, no matter how closely you might guard the door.

Reactions: Aerin70
1 - 13 of 13 Posts