Personality Cafe banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Get ready for it......

Do you believe in Psychic abilities?

There are a far too many claims to outright say no without some scrutiny, I think.

I also think there is a lot of science that is "similar" to psychic claims, but is denied as such because it is "science".
My example being Micro-Current (what the body naturally produces to tell itself to heal, among other things) and the treatment of injuries/diseases by directing the right frequency of Micro-Current, rather similar to the idea of a healer channeling their "energy" into the person they are trying to heal.

As everything, no matter how hoaxy, has at least some basis or foundation in reality, is it possible that some individuals could really promote healing in others and the idea of a hands on healer emerged? Then, of course, to be copied by millions of charlatans, but it still seams possible to me.

Poisons and herbal remedies, the basis for modern medicine, were once considered sorcery even. And what would anyone from back then think of all our modern technology? I think the idea of "Psychic" being bad is rather archaic, there are a lot of crazies out there, that is for sure, but its not reason enough for me to dismiss the possibilities that the scientific community is missing a lot because of their unwillingness to even consider them.

As for everything else: some things I have more of an opinion than others, but I was curious if anyone else had an opinion on the matter. :tongue:

·
Registered
383 Posts
My example being Micro-Current (what the body naturally produces to tell itself to heal, among other things) and the treatment of injuries/diseases by directing the right frequency of Micro-Current, rather similar to the idea of a healer channeling their "energy" into the person they are trying to heal.
While it is possible that there maybe some thing that actually causes such claims to be true (although they would be a much rarer event then the current claims would suggest) I think that we are still a while of from scientifically proving or disproving the claims, although with that said I do not see how things like psychics can exist at least with our present knowledge of science.

As everything, no matter how hoaxy, has at least some basis or foundation in reality
I ask you how does Homeopathy have any foundation in reality? :tongue:

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I ask you how does Homeopathy have any foundation in reality? :tongue:
Homeopathy (while there are some crazy ideas out there) involves herbalism. To say that herbalism is bunk science is rather nonsensical, because less than a century ago it was the primary form of medicine until we learned how to synthesize the compounds in the various herbs to enact a better treatment.

Chicken Noodle Soup for a cold is also technically Homeopathy and medical studies have shown that it does help the body fight a cold. Just because science has proved its effectiveness does not remove it from Homeopathy.

The argument (not necessarily from you) as I have heard it goes: "Nothing in homeopathy can be proved, because anything that has been proved is no longer considered Homeopathy."

Which is my basis for the OP. There are things like herbalism that "were" considered part of the occult but are now a part of science. Again its "because its been proven we won't consider it on the fringe anymore, so everything on the fringe remains in a class without scientific support."

I just figured somebody else had to question the consensus that everything we don't want to consider can't be science.

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bull. In homeopathy, substances are diluted to such an extent often not even a single molecule of the herb is present in the medicine.
That would be the more hexing side of it, the point at which it becomes "bull". Just because a homeopathic company sells a chamomile pill at 30x under the pretense that it is supposed to relax you, does not mean that chamomile does not have relaxing properties.

·
Administrator
INTJ - ILI - 8w9 - Grunt
22,797 Posts
I don't disbelieve a hell of a lot more than what I am skeptical. There have been many cases where what was once witchcraft is now medicine....

I don't simply dismiss things I don't understand. They sit there in the box labelled "must think/research more about one day"

I think there is such a thing as psychic ability....perhaps not on the 1800 numbers.... but I think it exists.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Is the "micro-current" thing you're talking about magnetism? (not the one about metallic objects ofc, I actually don't know if you use the word "magnetism" for it in english too.. anyway)

If yes, then I do believe in it since I've experienced it first hand and several times from a real magnetizer, and even learned from him to do it myself to a much smaller extent (haven't really tried to practice actually, maybe I should).

I don't really know what to believe about how it works but as long as it does work it doesn't bug me so much, if there's enough facts to back-up a theory I'm not gonna cling to the opposite theory even though science isn't advanced enough yet to explain those facts. As you've said science has proven things once considered "magic" or "witchcraft" to have a explainable, real basis.
I've done some research about it and a theory is that it is the same thing that the "Qi" energy Chinese healers reffer to in their traditional medicine and work with in therapies such as acupuncture since milleniums.

As for the "emerging of the idea of a hands-on healer", it's actually already well accepted in some countries. In Switzerland for example, magnetizers work (or volunteer) in hospitals to help patients deal with pain and medication/operation side effects, especially those going through chemo and other harsh treatments. Hospitals and the government are actively looking for them and praising their work, and the patients all say they're a real help.

I won't say anything about other supposed psychic abilities as I apply to them the same reasoning, I'm waiting to see facts proving or disproving their existence.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I'm usually very skeptical. If I met a mind reader, I would want them to pass the Zenner Test before believing them.

I believe in the placebo effect, so when I hear about most types of healing, it is my default assumption.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Yea I do. Entanglement is interesting. I think I've experienced telepathy with family members. You've heard of women "syncin" right? Let me ask you as a fellow intuitive...what do you think that is hmmm? I'm sure what you call intuitive others call psychic ability and vice versa.

All I know is that the mind is a powerful tool. :shocked:

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
I've predicted my share of things, but in no way do I related it to being psychic. Having said that, it's possible. The brain is highly advanced. Who knows what's possible under the right circumstances.

For example...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts