Personality Cafe banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
5,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here's an alternate questionnaire for "what's my type?" threads.
It's intended for people to copy and paste and create their own thread with, so other people can help type.
**Don't respond here, copy-paste and make your own thread**
*Feel free to remove any questions you don't want to do*

---

Section 1.

Pick any picture you like - tell us about it. Below are two websites to help find one - feel free to choose anything you want, though.
Random Image Prompts
https://www.flickr.com/explore/interesting/7days/

Pick a word, any word - brainstorm - whether it's just words that spring to mind, or ideas, or memories, whatever - just brainstorm for a while. No restrictions. Below is a link for a random word, if it helps.
https://randomwordgenerator.com

Write a short story - feel free to freestyle, or use the picture you chose as inspiration, or the results from your brainstorm, or all of the above, doesn't matter. Just write a short story. Below is a link for writing prompt ideas.
https://thestoryshack.com/tools/writing-prompt-generator/

How did you approach writing your story? Provide as much detail as possible with regards to your writing process.

Section 2.

Describe your verbal communication skills, your written communication skills, and your body language.
Feel free to go in-depth. If possible, detail your natural communication and body language preferences in various circumstances - with friends, with strangers, at work, in one-on-one situations, in group situations, personal, impersonal, that kind of thing. If anything irritates you about how others communicate, talk about that too.
The more information, the better.

How do you prefer to make decisions, solve problems and/or puzzles?
Run us through your entire process - use specific examples, if possible - some ideas for your answer -
what questions do you ask yourself, if any? What goes through your mind? What do you take into account? What could alter your decisions? Are you comfortable with making a decision and settling on it? Do you like being able to change your decisions, after you've made them?

Detail some things that piss you off - stress triggers - feel free to explain the reasons why these things irritate you - I don't want to hear about mild irritations - I want to hear about things that simply make your blood boil, or make you want to take action to alter the situation - things that make you want to leave an environment, things that make you dislike someone, things that truly get to you as a person and grate on every fiber of your being.

Detail a time (or times) in your life when you felt at your absolute best - when you didn't feel any kind of anxiety, when you didn't feel judged, when you felt appreciated for who you are, when you felt at your most creative, when you felt like "you".. you get the gist. You at your best, tell us about it.

What are the strongest parts of your personality? The best traits about yourself.

What is one specific trait that you value in others, yet simply do not possess yourself - though, if you were to work on it, it would really balance out your personality?

What are the differences between how others see you, and how you see yourself?
Feel free to elaborate and explain the reasoning.

Section 3.

What is a perfect day to you?

What is a perfect night to you?

What is your idea of a perfect world?

What is your idea of hell on earth?

Section 4.

Are you, most of the time, acutely aware of the people, things and events occurring in your immediate surroundings?

Do you find yourself engaging in the sounds, colours, textures, scents and tastes of your environment - i.e, enjoying what you are currently experiencing, most of the time?

Do you seek common ground, when faced with new situations - thoughts like "this is like _____" or "this is similar to _____" - something that will stabilise the current situation and turn it into something more comfortable for you?

Do you find you have a strong sense for how things 'should be', even when faced with something unfamiliar?

Do you actively engage in promoting a harmonious atmosphere - be honest with yourself, this includes being a conflict-averse introvert.

Do you actively seek to connect with other people, and do you make use of social niceties in order to interact with people more smoothly - to make them feel validated, accepted, comfortable? - this includes regular use of "please", "thank you", etc.. general social niceties.

Do you find yourself not being dependent on agreement and harmony around you, as long as the current situation doesn't impact on your own personal inner balance?
An example of this might be if you are doing something, and people are arguing in the same room - are you able to remain yourself, or will it affect your inner balance in a noticeable way?

Do you try to win others over to your point of view, in debates, arguments or just chit-chat in general?
I.e seeking agreement from the other person. Have a real think about this question, and be honest with yourself.

You just read that a local vacuum company just went bankrupt.
What your thoughts - feel free to expand and explore your thoughts and ideas as much as you like here. Please don't say "who cares?". Just do it.

Do you comfortably juggle multiple possible options in your mind, when problem solving? Do you find yourself exploring each of them - entertaining any possibilities that may arise from them, and enjoy envisioning scenarios where these might play out?

Do you have a tendency to organise the world around you? Is it important for you to be in an orderly environment?
This might manifest as a preference for predictability - consider these questions on a smaller scale than what might be in your mind - i.e. is it important that the knifes go in the knifes slot, that the Nintendo games go where the Nintendo games go, etc..

Do you find you are impatient with regards to efficiency?
Again, consider this also at a smaller scale - for example, do you prefer to rush through whatever chores that need to be done, so they're out the way?

Do you find yourself taking over certain tasks because you know you can do it quicker?
This might be as mundane as telling your partner or friend, that you'll do the dishes - because you know they'll take forever and it's just 'better' for you to do it, and smash 'em out ASAP so they're done.

Is it important for you to define things in your head?
This might manifest as googling words you've unfamiliar with so you actually know for sure what you're reading, or it might manifest as a preference to completely understand something to the point you can explain it to others in a simplified manner - born out of the precise definitions you've crafted in your mind.

Is it of high importance to you, to understand all of the pieces of a puzzle.. or all of the information you're given, before coming to a decision or a conclusion about anything?
This might manifest as a tendency to hesitate when coming to conclusions or decisions as you don't feel you fully defined, or understood, all relevant information yet.

Section 5.

Choose 5 images that strike you as meaningful in some way, from wherever you like, and post them up.
This is for visual typists to go to town on.

---

I am more than open to suggestions, as ideally I'd like this to be something that can be as short or as long as the respondent wants it to be and I want it to have enough structure to keep people discussing things relevant to typology - however, also leaving enough space for respondents to feel free to get as creative, honest, and expansive as they'd like.

DISCLAIMER: Some questions in Section 4 are based on information in Depth Typology by Mark Hunziker.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm a little worried about the non-writers that might be turned off by writing a short story. I do believe what someone reads or turns to and why they turn it can be very telling. If they opt not to do those questions then how does that affect being able to type them? Would alternate or optional questions work?

·
Banned
5,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm a little worried about the non-writers that might be turned off by writing a short story. I do believe what someone reads or turns to and why they turn it can be very telling. If they opt not to do those questions then how does that affect being able to type them? Would alternate or optional questions work?
What do you mean "non-writers"?.. lol.

I've added some extra questions etc, it should be a little more fleshed out now, and not feel like it penalises people who don't want to do the writing thing, or the pictures parts, as there should be more than enough information to be gleaned from responses to the rest of the questionnaire now.

·
Registered
54 Posts
What do you mean "non-writers"?.. lol.
*facepalms* In my defense I frazzled and passing time until my aunt was admitted to the hospital for diabetic seizures. :laughing: Maybe nap not type in times like that. XD

I like the new questions. :encouragement:

·
Banned
1,812 Posts
Ooh your prompts are super interesting, Outside of the picture prompt, I really like them (I have a bias against picture prompts though so ignore that). I might give this a try if I ever have the audacity to throw another "Type The Krayfish" thread on this site, though I probably shouldn't.

·
Banned
5,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Ooh your prompts are super interesting, Outside of the picture prompt, I really like them (I have a bias against picture prompts though so ignore that). I might give this a try if I ever have the audacity to throw another "Type The Krayfish" thread on this site, though I probably shouldn't.
What's the bias against picture prompts you have?

I'm kind of.. half-half on them.
I like them in that they help me gauge what perception functions people are preferring, not simply due to the words they say - rather, I feel I get a grasp on whether what they're saying comes natural to them (i.e if they're trying to come across as X, but I can tell it's from a Y perspective).

I question the usefulness of them, overall, however, as I can get so much more information out of other areas of a questionnaire anyway, and so I see them as almost a waste of time.

The ones I've put in this questionnaire are there for an alternate reason - I like to try to understand why someone picked the picture, rather than their perceptions of it. That's why I worded it so people felt free to pick any picture they want - the picture they choose, if they select one in this fashion, may be more telling than the words they accompany it with.
I don't think this is a valid way to attempt to type someone who selects from the links, as it won't be as reflective of what's going on in their head.

Essentially it's a one-picture "visual type" - though, I've included a 5 picture section for that as well.

FWIW, and I should probably have indicated this in the OP but it's too late now - Section 4 is a miniature cognitive functions test.

Each of the questions there are directly related to a cognitive function, most of it from the book I mentioned - initially I wanted to make it an either/or section - because it would just make it more simple, the questions could easily be rephrased for a yes/no quiz.

I decided against that, as I figured if people have room to breathe, this might elicit information relevant to other cognitive functions, perhaps something that helps to specify a function that might directly oppose the one the question targets, or something to infer it might be an inferior function etc - so far, the people who have taken the test have proved this to be a good choice.

·
Banned
1,812 Posts
What's the bias against picture prompts you have?
I used to come to this thread a lot to type people and always got irritated because I could never get much out of the picture questions at all. Sure, you can relate them to the way people perceive things around them but the only thing I ever really caught by using them was Fi users. Also though, with inexperienced typers who look at responses to picture based prompts, I find that a lot of times there's a huge sensor bias. Few people look at a picture and come up with some fancy metaphor to describe them or write some detailed paragraph about how deep the picture is (again, only Fi users). If you don't give that type of response, the inexperienced immediately peg the OP a sensor (or at least they did when I floated around here).

I'm kind of.. half-half on them.
I like them in that they help me gauge what perception functions people are preferring, not simply due to the words they say - rather, I feel I get a grasp on whether what they're saying comes natural to them (i.e if they're trying to come across as X, but I can tell it's from a Y perspective).
That's smart! I never looked at it that way, but I guess they do have some use after all.

·
Banned
5,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I used to come to this thread a lot to type people and always got irritated because I could never get much out of the picture questions at all. Sure, you can relate them to the way people perceive things around them but the only thing I ever really caught by using them was Fi users. Also though, with inexperienced typers who look at responses to picture based prompts, I find that a lot of times there's a huge sensor bias. Few people look at a picture and come up with some fancy metaphor to describe them or write some detailed paragraph about how deep the picture is (again, only Fi users). If you don't give that type of response, the inexperienced immediately peg the OP a sensor (or at least they did when I floated around here).
You've got a very good point here - I did a questionnaire ages ago and got typed as an ISTP - IIRC, it was basically a picture of the northern lights. WTF are you supposed to say? It's the beach. Northern lights.
That's it. Instant Se typing.

I'm not going to sit there for like.. a week, and let my Ni make anything of it (which it probably wouldn't anyway, it's not important enough) so I can rattle off some metaphorical symbolism bullshit about how the way the light blending into the night sky is reflective of how the minimum wage can't keep up with the costs of living.

Even if my mind did go down that path, I wouldn't share those thoughts because I know it'd sound ridiculous.

I imagine people with dominant Ne are similar - they're probably not going to want to share the spitfire associations that are going off in their brain - if they're even going off at that exact moment, because Ne users don't just constantly live in crazy-mode - they'll take their time to formulate a response, they're able to do this as it's via text on an internet forum.

So imo, we're likely not privy to the inner worlds of the people that are responding to the pictures - we get the end result, the part they want us to see - the thing they feel comfortable with us seeing.

Not every Ne dominant is going to be comfortable with typing up "beach water ice sky lights dark darksouls difficult hell too hard 2hard 2kool 2kool4skool anyone remember drawing those "S" things on paper as kid? papermache machete rifles guns war explosives the big bang holy shit we're basically back at the northern lights" - no, we might get a response that sums up the whole circular pattern of what just happened and that it might make them think of how time keeps on ticking, everything is connected etc - then they would get an Ni typing anyway for that.

Or we might get a small portion of what was in their head, something like "something about this picture makes me think of being back at school and drawing those "S" symbols".. get hit with an Si typing.

Etc etc it's easy to see how it gets all messed up.
I don't put much weight on what I get from the picture responses, however it could still be valuable information in the context of the rest of the response.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts