Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A New Typology Temperament System​

Some have said that Keisey's temperament system does not make sense since he ignores the jungian functions and instead focuses on outward behavior.

So I want to make my own temperament system with lots of input and feed back from the forum users, like we can make this system up as we go along, you can add features to the ones I already have. Feel free to constructively criticize my groups, and if you can, you can make your own different groupings too.

I like the groupings of IPs, EPs, IJs, and EJs the best because all these groups share the same dominant judging or perceiving functions.

EPs - The Responders (Sanguine)
These people share extroverted perceiving as their dominant function.
They generally have an positive, optimistic view of the external world
They are the most in-tune with the external world(either in the concrete, here and now or the abstract, conceptual)
They are very action-based(implusive, reactive), even more than EJs
may be seen as reckless
Most adaptable
Easily bored, restless, need constant stimulation
risk-taking
loves change
Very open-minded
"All over the place"

IPs - The Individualist (Phlegmatic)
They share dominant introverted judgement
Live and let live types
Probably the most easygoing temperament but have strong, solid internal values, principles
Relaxed, mellow, least concern for controling external environment, may be seen as lazy(esp INPs)
Low energy
Likes to have their internal principles figured out, building on their internal identity
Receptive, informative
Can move from inert boredom to implusive, spontaneous action quickly, highs and lows
Passive, peaceful
Behind the scences
Secretly perfectionistic
Most undecisive
Nonconformist

IJs - The Stabilizers(Melancholic)
They share dominant introverted perceiving
Very cautious
Have a mostly negative view of the external world, need to first have the external world match their internal perception
Stable, Steady
least adaptable
Anxious about change, seems like the opposites of the EPs
Prepared
Likes having a plan of action
May seem boring(esp to EPs)
Focused

EJs - The Initiators(Choleric)
They share dominant extroverted jugdement
Proactive, go-getters
Organized
Forceful, strong personalities
Have their views about what the external environment "should" be
May be seen as "uptight", "rigid" by other temperaments(esp ETJs)
Likes to follow through
Doers
Directive
Natural leaders
Very decisive

^I think I need to come up with better names, can any of you help?

·
Registered
7,384 Posts
Some have said that Keisey's temperament system does not make sense since he ignores the jungian functions and instead focuses on outward behavior.

So I want to make my own temperament system with lots of input and feed back from the forum users, like we can make this system up as we go along, you can add features to the ones I already have. Feel free to constructively criticize my groups, and if you can, you can make your own different groupings too.

I like the groupings of IPs, EPs, IJs, and EJs the best because all these groups share the same dominant judging or perceiving functions.

EPs - The Responders (Sanguine)
These people share extroverted perceiving as their dominant function.
They generally have an positive, optimistic view of the external world
They are the most in-tune with the external world(either in the concrete, here and now or the abstract, conceptual)
They are very action-based(implusive, reactive), even more than EJs
may be seen as reckless
Most adaptable
Easily bored, restless, need constant stimulation
risk-taking
loves change
Very open-minded
"All over the place"

IPs - The Individualist (Phlegmatic)
They share dominant introverted judgment
Live and let live types
Probably the most easygoing temperament but have strong, solid internal values, principles
Relaxed, mellow, least concern for controlling external environment, may be seen as lazy(esp INPs)
Low energy
Likes to have their internal principles figured out, building on their internal identity
Receptive, informative
Can move from inert boredom to impulsive, spontaneous action quickly, highs and lows
Passive, peaceful
Behind the scenes
Secretly perfectionistic
Most indecisive
Nonconformist

IJs - The Stabilizers(Melancholic)
They share dominant introverted perceiving
Very cautious
Have a mostly negative view of the external world, need to first have the external world match their internal perception
Stable, Steady
least adaptable
Anxious about change, seems like the opposites of the EPs
Prepared
Likes having a plan of action
May seem boring(esp to EPs)
Focused

EJs - The Initiators(Choleric)
They share dominant extroverted jugdement
Proactive, go-getters
Organized
Forceful, strong personalities
Have their views about what the external environment "should" be
May be seen as "uptight", "rigid" by other temperaments(esp ETJs)
Likes to follow through
Doers
Directive
Natural leaders
Very decisive

I disagree with the bold.

·
Registered
378 Posts

I like this set up(though I do not necessarily agree with the IJ definitions), but after thinking about it for a little while, it would seem that the four humors would be better set up like this:

EPs- Sanguine
IPs- Melancholic
TJs- Choleric
FJs- Phlegmatic

I really like your names for your groupings, they seem quite appropriate to me.

Reactions: Robopop

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I disagree with the bold.
Well I wanted to include some negative tendencies as well, like EPs can be seen as irresponsible, reckless, IPs seen as lazy, inert, unmotivated. I don't know if that came out right about IJs being negative about the external world, but they do have a cautious view of the external world compared with their internal world(introverted perception with extroverted judgment, and introverts in general are more cautious than extroverts, thinking before acting). Now thinking about it, the names I came up with does seem sensible given the grouping's dominant functions but can any one come up with their own names for EPs, IPs, IJs, and EJs.

·
Cafe Legend and MOTM Jan 2011
15,420 Posts
TTo be fair, I don't really think Intoverted and Extraverted are among the most important factors.

Maybe it's just me, but I would divide by:

SJ
SP
NJ
NP
I think the T/F distinction makes the most difference in determining what a person is going to be like. It seems to me that the S/N makes the least difference.

Whatever system works, I agreed with the IP description in the first post. It fit me pretty well, while the others did not.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Eh. I'm no fan of dividing according to Extroversion/Introversion. Personally, I relate much more to, say, INTJs than to ESFPs, to whom I hardly relate at all. Just because I'm technically an EP doesn't mean I'm predominantly action-oriented -- of that I can assure you. Impulsive? Reactive? No.

The E/I dichotomy is almost certainly that of least consequence. I favor NP/NJ/SP/SJ, NF/NT/SF/ST, or FP/FJ/TP/TJ groupings, personally.

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
Most impressive. I've been working on re-defining NJ and NP as temperaments, but I seem to be having trouble condensing all my research into a list like yours.

·
Registered
410 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Most impressive. I've been working on re-defining NJ and NP as temperaments, but I seem to be having trouble condensing all my research into a list like yours.
This is kind of off the top of my head, but is this what you are thinking of?

NJ's: The Seekers
ENTJ- The Assured Hunter
INTJ- The Skillful Guide
ENFJ- The Compassion Finder
INFJ- The Friendly Observer

Strive to attain the vision they have
Confident in their abilities and ideas
Seek to structure their outer worlds
Favor directness
Can be stubborn
Have difficulty admitting when wrong

NP's: The Muses
ENTP- The Inspiring Leader
INTP- The Quite Thinker
ENFP- The Dramatic Creator
INFP- The Unique Writer

Creates connections in their lives
Often Brainstorming
Usually quite articulate
Jovial
Reacts sharply when hurt
Needs drive

NJ's have Ni in one of their first two functions. NP's have Ne in one of their first two functions.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I note that everyone else apart from EPs are all miserable according to the titles. You should work on those (a lot). I don't think describing people as Phlegmatic, Choleric or Melancholic is necessarily a 'good idea'.

I agree however that viewing the world as EJ/EP/IP/IJ is actually a lot more constructive than the more traditional and destructive T/F segregation.

U

·
0 Posts
optimus cop:

Intresting memory card and cheat sheet that you have made.

Combine it with the other bits and here and there of personality type readings. Then a comment a poster made on acting like two types is going back to the ennegram again.

:p Well at least i can say its been good to see the grouping and hint definitions for Choleric, Seguine and so on for the types. I'd have to look those up other wise.

I was a tad bit turned away by some of the names, but just recalled the positve examples i've met before. I guess combined type characteristics within a person can determine how a couple would function.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I've enjoyed reading this article. Thank you!

It certainly helps to distinguish between the I/E and J/P differences, but I also feel it'd help to 'break it down' even further and discuss the similarities and the differences between the dominant functions of each purposed temperament. For instance, I would love to hear the similarities and the differences between the Ni and the Si 'Stabilizers'!

I also enjoy the names you've given for the temperaments. They seem appropriate.

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
This is kind of off the top of my head, but is this what you are thinking of?

NJ's: The Seekers
ENTJ- The Assured Hunter
INTJ- The Skillful Guide
ENFJ- The Compassion Finder
INFJ- The Friendly Observer

Strive to attain the vision they have
Confident in their abilities and ideas
Seek to structure their outer worlds
Favor directness
Can be stubborn
Have difficulty admitting when wrong

NP's: The Muses
ENTP- The Inspiring Leader
INTP- The Quite Thinker
ENFP- The Dramatic Creator
INFP- The Unique Writer

Creates connections in their lives
Often Brainstorming
Usually quite articulate
Jovial
Reacts sharply when hurt
Needs drive

NJ's have Ni in one of their first two functions. NP's have Ne in one of their first two functions.
Yes! More comprehensive, but this is exactly what I had in mind.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I like the OP's groupings. Just found this: Personality and Kids which asserts that the first two letters to be determined in a young child's personality types are I/E and P/J, so...the suggestion to group types as EP, EJ, IP, and IJ would seem to make sense based on this...

·
Registered
344 Posts
I note that everyone else apart from EPs are all miserable according to the titles. You should work on those (a lot). I don't think describing people as Phlegmatic, Choleric or Melancholic is necessarily a 'good idea'.
I'm sure that most people reading this article have wondered at length about who they are, and are probably aware of the four humours. What's the harm, semantic considerations aside?

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
TTo be fair, I don't really think Intoverted and Extraverted are among the most important factors.

Maybe it's just me, but I would divide by:

SJ
SP
NJ
NP
That's how I would divide it as well. People often try to group people in terms of NT, NF, SJ, and SP. Hell, Kiersey even tried to say that certain temperaments would do well with other certain temperaments. That's BS though. I know many ENFP's for example that relate very poorly to ENFJs. In addition, when comparing the ENTP to the ENTJ, you almost have to know MBTI to see any similarity. Really, ask a person who knows nothing about MBTI to pick out the similarities between an ENTP and ENTJ person for example, and most people will say that they can't see anything similar about the two. They will say that they are completely different.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I feel violated...

I was working on something extremely similar to this... I also called the IPs and the EPs the same way to top it off!

Ugh, this is what happens to me for putting stuff off! =P

·
Banned
3,624 Posts
That's how I would divide it as well. People often try to group people in terms of NT, NF, SJ, and SP. Hell, Kiersey even tried to say that certain temperaments would do well with other certain temperaments. That's BS though. I know many ENFP's for example that relate very poorly to ENFJs. In addition, when comparing the ENTP to the ENTJ, you almost have to know MBTI to see any similarity. Really, ask a person who knows nothing about MBTI to pick out the similarities between an ENTP and ENTJ person for example, and most people will say that they can't see anything similar about the two. They will say that they are completely different.
Hmm, and coming on personality forums you do start to notice the "inter-keirsian conflict".

For example, within the NT grouping you will start to see a sort of "competition" in wits and competency (entj/intj RE: Te+Ni -> intp/entp RE: Ti+Ne). Within the NF grouping, you see a "competition" over "rareity", emotionality (where infjs' claim xnfps' are more irrational and emotive), who is nicer/more selfish and who is more creatively intellectual (infj/enfj Re:Fe+Ni -> infp/enfp Re: Fi+Ne). Obviously this is just the difference in mechanism operating... different point of focus = how you see and evaluate other types. E.g. in the examples above, competency is probably more of a Te concern.

1 - 20 of 103 Posts