Personality Cafe banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been a member of this site since May 1st. I posted a concise reply to a questionnaire and though I received several views (in the 40s), I didn't receive any replies. This is more or less what I expected, yet I am writing this in hopes that future newbies/posters, those desiring typing by the old-timers, experts, analysts... “typers,” will have some tips that may aid typing and replies. I've noticed in the first three pages of the forum, “What's my type?”, there are nine (9) request threads to type with zero replies yet with a range of 30-40 views; now this may be the weekend shift (maybe all the extroverts are out?) These are casual observations and they are backed up with no empirical evidence.

You have (usually) one goal in posting here-- to have people type you. For that to happen, your thread must be popular. That is, every time someone comments on your thread, the system accredits your thread with a “hit” and “bumps” your thread to the top of all the threads, therefore your thread is not left to obscurity; this bump provides a better chance for more people to reply/type you.

1. Thread title: this has to be catchy. The title could be clever, cutesy, outlandish, some claim, a plea, but needs to be in some way... eye-catching or engaging. This should be rather self-evident. People judge books by their covers, and for the most part, they judge/perceive titles (and people) the same way. Even the system recognizes this when you start a thread, “(Interesting and Descriptive Titles Usually Yield More and Better Responses”

2. Questionnaire: fill one out from the above list and be verbose. Don't mince words; don't be brief or concise. I've noticed you almost have to vomit onto the screen your most innermost thoughts and format, grammar, and spelling are not factors. The typers somehow found your title worth inspecting your questionnaire, so you have to give them something to chew on, something to work with. This is the meat of your interaction with typers; if you leave them with a kid's portion, they'll lose interest and their motivation. Which leads me to...

3. Be interesting: this kind of goes hand in hand with #1, but if you're a stodgy type like me, this can seem difficult. What's interesting to you may seem boring to others, or what's boring to you may seem interesting to others. The idea is to form connections or spark interest with the typers; if your response is dull, insipid, or vapid, the typers will see you as such and not bother with a reply.

4. Be engaging: you must interact with typers once they reply. Here's how this generally works: you post (+1 hit); a typer replies (+1 hit); you reply to typer (+1 hit); another typist sees and replies (+1 hit); original typist replies to that (+1 hit); ad nauseam. (I refer to this as the hit cycle.)

5. Know your sh*t: it helps if you have (at least) some basic knowledge of your type, cognitive functions, or enneagram. Not only does this further your post, but it helps you understand yourself and other typists replies. i.e., you can talk intelligently about types and have discussion, which will start the “hit cycle,” illustrated in #4.

6. It's not what you know, it's who you know: tag people, preferably friends. But, how do I get friends on this site? (I have no idea. I'm new.) I have noticed several original type request threads tag people and this has started their thread's hit cycle. I don't want to say tag random strangers as that would be may be considered “rude,” yet if you look at other threads, there are a slew of people that enjoy typing. I'm unsure what they would think about being tagged/summoned though.

7. Play to the types: If you know the types, you can use that to your advantage and make your title, post, interactions, replies, create...”synergy,” that is, certain types will enjoy engaging you and your thread. This could be as simple as a plea for help, which would elicit replies from the nurturers and protectors, to as complex as delivering an enigma, mystery, or puzzle to the solvers. Of course, if you want to be truly audacious, rile up the NTJs with a bold claim. I'm unsure how you would draw out extroverts and introverts specifically, but that could be a consideration.

Final thoughts: the thread system is not random and there is a method to the madness on who gets replies and who doesn't. Again, these are just some (extremely) casual observations that have been bugging me since Friday. Feel free to add to this list as I look forward to seeing what other newbies or old-timers may have to say on how to elicit typing. Hopefully, the tips may help future newbies in their quest towards introspection and self-awareness.

·
Registered
604 Posts
br0, this deserves a round of applause.

Reactions: Page

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks (and thanks for starting the hit cycle!) As I mentioned, if you have any additional insight or tips, it might prove beneficial to future posters.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, Doc! I'll take that over the keys to a shiny new Australia instead. :wink:

·
Registered
170 Posts
Regarding threads... does anybody know how to bold your thread title? (when you start a new thread.)

I've seen threads both ways (normal and bolded) and, obviously, the bolded ones stand out. I don't know how to do it, I've tried every method I thought of after I found no button to edit the thread title, only the text.

And in order to not leave this thread without bringing info of my own for others: two days ago another newbie asked me how to edit his post, so people sometimes have trouble with that.
Here's my response:

There's a button at the bottom right side of your post, it says "Edit Post", it has an image of a pencil next to it, you click on it, then you can write/add whatever, but you can only do it for 12 or 24 (I don't know which) hours after posting. After that, the button disappears.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.