Personality Cafe banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
empty calories
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Time for some applied psychology. Here comes a list of things to do to reduce negative affect in your daily life. These are also things I use to keep myself up. They're probably more suitable for healthy people who want to remain healthy, though. it might come to use to you lovely people :D

[mindset]
1. Respect yourself.
Don't insult yourself, or any groups you belong to. You wouldn't do that to others either, would you?
2. Don't handicap yourself. Don't diagnose yourself with any mental illness either. Don't wallow in your own misery.
3. Abort depressive thought tangents. Find an extremely loud song and play it in your mind when you notice you can't stop thinking depressive thoughts; distract yourself with other activities.

[stress]
4. Reduce stressors, where possible.
Any little bit counts. You might want to do your work now, instead of procrastinating; invest in some earplugs; take a break now and then; and take a less crowded road.
5. Reduce boredom, where possible. Longer periods of boredom also generate stress. Find fun things to do in your free time; make your job fit more to your personality; relax during periods of low activity. Converse with people, even if you're introverted.
6. Increase positivity. You might want to watch that comedy instead of the drama movie. And smile, instead of frowning. Comedy does wonders, and smiling can make you feel better during neutral periods. Don't force it, though.
7. Accept. Sometimes, the only realistic thing you can do is moving on. Taking everything less seriously is also quite relieving. Do not complain; do something about what bothers you, or accept it.

[sleep]
8. Go to sleep at appropriate moments. Proper sleep is very important for regulating your emotions.
9. Sleep in total darkness and silence. Light and sound reduce the depth of your sleep, and can cause stress. Get yourself some thick curtains and don't leave noisy machines on at night.
10. Expose yourself to lots of daylight in the morning. Especially important for people who are more depressed during winter! Open your curtains when you wake up, hell, stare at the bright sky for a few minutes. It helps. Vitamin D supplements are also good, if you can't expose yourself to enough sunlight.
11. Exercise. Exercising frequently maintains health in your body and brain, and helps you sleep better over time. Even a daily walk can do wonders.

[growth]
12. Pay attention to what you've been neglecting.
Take a look at your life and figure out which things are consuming your energy. And do something about them, if possible.
13. Build a buffer. Find some people you can talk to when things are going down. Make sure they are good listeners. Pets can also provide great support. Find things that alleviate your mood, and use them when you need to. But don't indulge or harm yourself. Chocolate is particularly strong.
14. Gain autonomy. Fight for your independence. Make sure your environment can support and teach you, but doesn't make decisions for you! Autonomy breeds self-esteem.
15. Educate yourself. Learn about your body and mind, and act accordingly. Learn and read about whatever interests you, it's good for you!
16. Grow. The world is ever changing, but so are you. You can become better at anything by practicing, so keep that in mind, and take on the world. Remember, change takes time.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I like this - especially number two. I'm a strong believer in denial regarding many different types of illness, the mind is extremely powerful and placebos work in all different forms and tricks. Brain plasticity proves that reinforcing your illness by labeling yourself 'depressed' will prod, poke and encourage it.

What I struggle with is self control however - even though I know waking up at 9am will make me feel so much better, I will always want to stay up doing art till 4am in the morning. I have terrible terrible habits. I'm terrible at being strict with myself and thinking about the long term. I like to pleasure myself right then and there and face the consequences later.

Something I definitely need to confront in order to grow.

Truth be told - I'm shit at helping myself. I read so much about improvement and self help. Videos, books, artist inspiration.... there is so much GOOD advice out there, I struggle to summarize, pick out the best bits and apply it concretely. If anyone has any advice on consolidating advice - give me a shout and I'll love you forever :)

·
Banned
3,960 Posts
Truth be told - I'm shit at helping myself. I read so much about improvement and self help. Videos, books, artist inspiration.... there is so much GOOD advice out there, I struggle to summarize, pick out the best bits and apply it concretely. If anyone has any advice on consolidating advice - give me a shout and I'll love you forever :)
Just be. Simplicity makes you feel more. More knowledge makes you into an NT. It flips you the other way... Do joyful things. Be wonderous, curious... laugh at randomness. :)

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
17. Remember: change takes time. Don't castigate yourself for not getting better as quickly as you'd like. Baby steps.

(At least, this is what I have to keep reminding myself)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts