Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
INTP
11,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember reading on another forum, someone said that part of Si for them was the ability to complete a task exactly the same way each time.

They described it as creating a blueprint for the task and any mistakes thereafter would feel wrong as they tried to repeat it.

This rings true when I think about Si users I know, my mother (isfj) I've noticed in particular, can repeat an action multiple times and get identical results. (More than I can, I do it differently each time) Also, I've often seen her pause in the middle of a task when she's not got it right, switch things around, then carry on, as if she felt it was wrong. I know that sounds like something everyone does, but there's a definite difference which I find hard to describe in words.

What are your thoughts on this?

Reactions: Candy Apple

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
A simplification, it seems. A Si dominant may well form an image in their mind of how the task will plan out and note deviations from their original idea, but it doesn't necessarily result in an aversion to alterations or even the possibility of doing it like what they thought it would work like ("I thought that spy work was all about cool gadgets and double agents and stuff, not boring decryption of boring papers." could be said by a disappointed Si dom).

·
Premium Member
INTP
11,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I found a quote of the original text I read, explains it better than I did;

The Introverted Sensation in Action

The Introverted Sensation function can be explained more clearly with a scenario, such as making a particular sandwich. This sandwich is composed of mustard, mayo, lettuce, tomato, swiss, and ham.

Let’s say we have an Si user who is standing in the kitchen with the recipe and ingredients for this sandwich at a table. This will be the first time the Si user will ever make a sandwich or even seen a sandwich and thus his mind’s slate is clean. The Si user will read through the recipe and attempt to follow the instructions one by one to construct this sandwhich.

First, it tells him to use mustard and mayo on one side of each bread slices. Then it tells him to place lettuce, tomato, swiss, and finally ham in that exact order on top of one slice of bread with the condiment side facing upward. Lastly, it tells him to top it off with the second bread slice with the condiment side facing downward. He finishes.

Now he is to make a second sandwich without the help of the recipe. The Si user’s memory is poor, unfortunately, so he can’t remember the recipe from heart, HOWEVER, he can “feel” out the sensation as he makes it. The Si user will have a sensation that tells him, wasn’t it the bread slice first that needs to be covered with mustard and mayo? He does not need to even say this. His gut feeling will tell him that probably is the first correct approach. His gut feeling will also tell him it was probably lettuce and tomato next in that order. Now he is almost finished but he is stuck. He can’t remember the next step. He tries to put ham on, but wait!

A sudden shock in his system.

“This doesn’t feel right,” the Si user says. He decides to try another item and places the swiss on top instead. Suddenly, his body tells him “This feels right,” and finally proceeds to place the ham on the sandwich. So far, it all feels “correct”. The Si user then continues to finish the sandwich with the final bread slice.

So the Si-user I used in this example has terrible memory. He cannot remember the recipe step by step, what items go in what order, how to start, or how to finish, at least in a differentiated manner. His body, however, remembers the sensation because he did it before. The first time he makes a sandwich was his development of an internalized sensation blueprint and so the next time he makes a sandwich, he has this internal sensation to utilize as a guide.
The one I read then went on to say if an Ne user forgot the instructions, they would be guided by their intuition and make it up as they go along each time etc. Which is true for me because I often don't remember how I did it last time.
Si users will of course, change their way of doing a task if they find a more efficient way, whereas Ne will not find it so easy to remember the most efficient way in the first place.

Reactions: davidbeacon

·
Banned
5,240 Posts
I realize now that this is in terms of knowing the steps, not how perfectly you do them. ^_^U

So...I'm a bit different. Once I know the instructions, I can do pretty well each time. Yet while learning the instructions, I can have trouble doing it perfectly. This applies much more to physical tasks than any other sort of task, by the way. I suck at making the bed, for instance, but I know other people that can do it so neatly. Don't know if this has anything to do with functions or not. XD

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.