Personality Cafe banner

A question for INTP females...

[INTP] 
Tags
intp question
4K views 28 replies 27 participants last post by  sun spun rainbows 
#1 ·
I was wondering how you are when it's that time of the month.

I have a hypothesis that maybe because we are T and not F, and we do not like to share our feelings with anyone, that maybe we are more emotionally sensitive at this time than others.

I think I'm more emotionally unstable than most other people presumably because of all the feelings I supress all the time being an INTP, I can cry a lot during this time!

I will never know if this is true or not but it's a theory that does sort of make sense! Does anyone else experience the same thing whilst on their period in particular?

Sorry for boring any INTP males reading this!

Reactions: TitaniumNeon Axis
#3 ·
Nah. No difference. But then again, my hormones are "controlled" synthetically...erhem.

However, the only thing I noticed when I had proper totm was that I came out in spots, my hair went all greasy and my nails brittle. But you are asking about emotions not vanity.

My adolescence...different story entirely....which may or may not be linked to the "manner of all women".

I'm not a good case study.:crazy:

#4 ·
Yeah, I tend to be more emotional when I have it, but I don't necisarrily cry for no reason [or a small reason] when I have it. The last time I cried when I had it was when I went to a Science/Math camp for a week striaght with a bunch of noisy kids who were mainly younger than me. It wasn't the bawl-y sort of crying, just silent tears.

Other than that, I just get terribly irritable and I don't want anyone to talk to me. Even when my parents got home from work, I would get a bit annoyed because they would want to talk to me and ask me about my day [the horror!].

Yeah. My introvertedness and feelerish side come out when I get it. Not fun.

**note I'm still in my teen years so my hormones are more wild :(**

#7 ·
As INTPs we do often bottle it up and it surfaces at times of great stress and just bursts out with intensity. INTP women, I think, are subject to use PMS as the catalyst. I think INTP men do it perhaps as often, but it's not usually the result of sudden hormone doses since their hormones are more regulated. Their emotional outburts may be more random.

But as an INTP teenage girl, I do admit that I have a few emotionally tumultuous days before Aunt Flo comes calling. I don't cry at the drop of a pin, but it's just that I brood way more and have magnified reactions rather than sudden mood swings.

Reactions: Columbine
#11 ·
I'm definitely *way* more emotional a few days leading up to my period, almost insanely uncontrollable mood swings. It's frustrating because you know there's nothing you can do about it, but a part of you still wants to rationalise it :frustrating:

#14 ·
I don't notice a change in my emotions.
When everyone the intelligence of everyone else falls dramatically is when I know I'm experiencing PMS, because my tolerance for stupidity is even lower than normal.
Hahahaha... me too :tongue:

#18 ·
I definitely find myself more emotional on my period. I usually try to keep it all in until someone says or does something that really gets on my nerves. That's when it all comes out. Because of this, I tend to isolate myself even more during this time than when I'm not on my period.

#20 ·
I don't think it's necessary to apologize to any men for this post. The title of the thread is clear "A question for INTP females" and it's an interesting question. I know that I am pretty unemotional most of the time. I got choked up recently while watching "Interstellar" because I was so amazed with what modern astro-physics has discovered and was rooting for the characters to colonize new planets. But we INTPs are supposedly less good at handling feelings, so having little control over ugly emotional outburst seems to fit us well :)

But during that time of the month I get some cramps but nothing else. My mood is exactly the same. This is why I never understood the claim that women are emotional when they get their periods. I just have cramping and not much of it. Nothing else is different that I or my friends/family has ever noticed. It makes me think this monthly period = emotionally irrational is just a conspiracy for companies to justify why they won't promote us.

#21 ·
Sorry for boring any INTP males reading this!
No need to apologize, it was my decision to come here and find out why I was being excluded, and it is acceptable [involves genitalia I lack]

Apparently that site doesn't like hotlinking.
Hotlinking is incredibly insensitive to the hotlinked web server.

Reactions: Draki
#22 ·
When im pmsing im so emotional its embarrassing. I over react to everything and don't realize it until like 15 minutes after Ive lashed out. Also I tend to cry a lot during this time. Super sensitive haha.

#23 ·
I tend to get really grumpy. Sometimes I lay in bed for a while and contemplate what I hate about the world. That's all. One time when I was 11 I burst out crying due to my horrible athletic skills, but that's the only time I've actually cried due to my period.

#25 ·
I don't feel particulary different. I don't cry more easily. The only thing I noted is that I sometimes get my totm when I'm already stressed or emotional unstable. So perhaps it's actually the other way around -> I get emotional unstable because I'll get my totm? But there are 1-2 or more days in between.

#26 ·
I never experience PMS mood swings. I also take anti depressants, so maybe that overrides any mood shifts I would otherwise be having. What's with this question, btw? I've seen this asked before. It's like, ooooh, INTP females and periods, ahhhh. No seriously, I saw this on Personality Junkie.

An INTP Female's Struggles with PMS

I guess I never saw any significance in the phenomena myself. /shrug

Edit: Now that I'm thinking about it, I might just be attributing my periodic (no pun intended) mood swings to other things. Gonna have to keep a close eye on timing now. Hmmm. My periods are irregular though. Hard to track.

#29 ·
I have a (usually) mild existential crises. I know the manner of women is about to come upon me because I suddenly catch myself thinking life is meaningless and I need to reevaluate every part of it. Once I figured out the pattern ("Why do I suddenly feel so clueless and needy? This hasn't happened to me since ... oh ... :dry:"), instead of being thrown for a loop I was able to recognize it and tell myself that if the issues are real and important they will be better served if put off to the following week when I will be more objective—but it normally doesn't come up again for another month.

The thing I really, really hate about it is an accompanying compulsion to reach out to people. If I succumb, I always regret it once I'm back in my right mind.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.