Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Only if I think the person dying doesn't deserve it.

·
Administrator
ESFJ
22,383 Posts
Of course they are disturbing.....they would never do it right.:tongue:

ummm...but seriously....I wrangled with this question....as usual Hannibal questions are very difficult to answer.

I am a fan of stylised violence....I have sick imaginings of my neighbor being a walking knifeblock or lightning rod each time he starts up his ludicrously loud three leaf moving blower vac....even his kid which makes the car noises up and down the drive does not escape an imagined slap....the cat suffers from an imagined throttle and it's meow ripped out every now and then...oh yes...I'm fucking healthy...I could go on and on.....

The point is...my imaginings are perverse and humourous to me. I can't stand too much gore in horror. I don't want to watch people getting slapped up on reality TV or IRL. Hell I can't even stand to watch funniest home videos where people send their vids of them being knackered on a bike or grannies falling of a table pissed at a wedding and breaking their hip....for laughs? I have a vid of a song with recorded skateboard faceplants on my profile which makes me cringe like all crap when I see it (I don't watch it). I certainly do not want to watch people being killed before my eyes.

I guess that the definition between it all is knowing what is reality and what isn't.....I find real violence abhorrant but I will watch 300 over and over again and love it.....there is a dissonance there.....oh and there is that beautiful death concept in 300 too.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Well, I don't think I'd purposely watch a movie that was made with the intent of entertaining with senseless murder. I'm not that cold.

That being said, one of my favorite documentaries is "Waco: The Rules of Engagement", which details the deliberate and ruthless mass murder of men, women, and children. It can be pretty graphic at points. And yes, I find it disturbing.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Well...

Not really. While I may have been more sensitive in the past, unless I knew the people in the film, it likely wouldn't bring out a strong negative reaction in me. If that makes me heartless so be it.

8MM (1999) would be a film about a snuff film, though it is a work of fiction. "CSI: Crime Scene Investigation" Snuff (2002) would be a CSI episode involving a snuff film. Those are the closest to dealing with a snuff film that I've had so perhaps experiencing it would be different than thinking of it hypothetically.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Seeing somebody get hurt is more disturbing than seeing them die.
8MM (1999) would be a film about a snuff film, though it is a work of fiction. "CSI: Crime Scene Investigation" Snuff (2002) would be a CSI episode involving a snuff film. Those are the closest to dealing with a snuff film that I've had so perhaps experiencing it would be different than thinking of it hypothetically.
Yes, but those aren't real snuff films.
I've seen a few: the Dnepropetrovsk Maniacs, suicide of Budd Dwyer. I didn't really care.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
I, for one, found this suicide of American politician Budd Dwyer in front of reporters interesting:

DON'T WATCH THE VIDEO IF YOU DON'T WANT TO SEE A SUICIDE
As I watch it I feel my heart rate go a little faster and blood rushing away from my face and into my extremeties as a fight/flight response. I got surprised at the amount of blood pouring out of his nose but other than that, the only frustrating thing about the video is that I wanted to know what he had to say.

This is not something I'd watch on purpose or seek out. But it's not disturbing to me either. I would certainly ACT like it disturbed me if I saw the video with people I knew, but that's a different matter.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I think it makes a big difference whether the person was murdered for the purpose of making the movie, or that it was a death being filmed. The latter is not a problem, I suppose. The former, well, one more or less giving the murderers what they want if one watches, so I have problems with that.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
As I watch it I feel my heart rate go a little faster and blood rushing away from my face and into my extremeties as a fight/flight response. I got surprised at the amount of blood pouring out of his nose but other than that, the only frustrating thing about the video is that I wanted to know what he had to say.

This is not something I'd watch on purpose or seek out. But it's not disturbing to me either. I would certainly ACT like it disturbed me if I saw the video with people I knew, but that's a different matter.
I watched the video earlier. I didn't feel much from it. I was, as you said, surprised at the amount of blood that poured out but, other than that, was completely undisturbed: more likely less disturbed than were you, from the sounds of things.
I mainly want to see how realistic movies portray death: not very much so, it would seem.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Reactions: Randall Flagg 13

·
Registered
59 Posts
It all depends on what kind of a snuff picture it is , because some peculiar amount of them are just hilarious to view sometimes .

As you are surly aware of , I am debating about the hilarious ways of death in those movies :wink:

137 Posts
I was witness to autopsy photos of the Adrianne Reynolds case.

Circle of friends - Dateline NBC - msnbc.com

The victim was killed in a car, then the body was taken to a farm and sawn into small pieces and scattered around the property. The cops never recovered one of the pieces but did assemble them to photograph something that appeared to be an almost complete corpse.
And besides that there were a number of other autopsy photos of other cases of accidents, murders, suicides and so on and so forth in the presentation.
I was only a sophomore in high school and I was hardly shocked honestly.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I suppose I find them more irrelevant than disturbing. If I have no reason to see another person die, then why watch such a thing? However I do find the idea of someone else enjoying watching others being killed, disturbing... I just don't get it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts