Personality Cafe banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i was just thinking and a thought hit me,fi is resonsable for my sense of self weather i fantasize that im great at something or i suck at somethign els, it all happens within my fi fantasy,so since infjs have internaly ni and ti,doesnt that mean they have no sense of self?,or no sense of fantasy?,day dreaming about ones own abilities?(not in a narcisistic way) but everyone has something in which they put pride in?,with ni and ti?doenst that mean infjs can only logicaly think about themselfs ?,without actualy expeirncing the joy of that sense of self? no fantasy of greatness? pride?even friedrich niestche use to fantasize about himself and his greatness? you no what i mean right?or should i explain i further?

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
ok so i was just thinking and a thought hit me,fi is resonsable for my sense of self weather i fantasize that im great at something or i suck at somethign els, it all happens within my fi fantasy,so since infjs have internaly ni and ti,doesnt that mean they have no sense of self?,or no sense of fantasy?,day dreaming about ones own abilities?(not in a narcisistic way) but everyone has something in which they put pride in?,with ni and ti?doenst that mean infjs can only logicaly think about themselfs ?,without actualy expeirncing the joy of that sense of self? no fantasy of greatness? pride?even friedrich niestche use to fantasize about himself and his greatness? you no what i mean right?or should i explain i further?
To reduce fantasy and sense of self to a single value-based judging function is a gross misunderstanding of cognitive functions. Fi is simply about making decisions based on how they feel to you - it doesn't have anything to do with the sense of self which all human beings have access to. Ti is a similar function, only using cross-checking logic to come up with a chain of thought that makes sense instead of what feels right.

Saying Fe users have no sense of self is like saying Fi users are totally unable to relate to other human beings on any level, which isn't true. The sense of self itself is the source of cognitive functions - they are defence, survival and contextualisation mechanisms of the mind.

As a tertiary Ti user, I find great pleasure in breaking ideas down to their fundamental parts and analysing them individually. Combined with Ni, more pleasure is derived from checking whether my huge system makes sense.

·
Registered
10,454 Posts
I think it's also worth noting that just because someone doesn't have a preference for a certain cognitive function, doesn't mean they never utilize it. We all utilize ALL of the functions, what is in our stack is supposed to just indicate where our preferences are.

I think that due to dom Ni, INxJ's (so this includes you) tend to look at themselves in a more holistic or detached way. I can't speak for everybody but this is at least true for myself. I sometimes look at myself as if I'm analyzing a character in a book rather than personalizing everything or over identifying with every little thing I experience or feel. I like to identify what I feel with words through Ti and understand myself logically.

Due to having a preference for Fe (I'm sure inferior Se is working here too), I often get to know myself better through seeing different characteristics manifested in other people or fictional characters. Those help me realize qualities that are either naturally inherent within myself or qualities that I would like to cultivate. It doesn't HAVE to happen that way, it just often is the case for me. These things give me inspiration. I day dream a lot and the elements that have inspired me get synthesized into these daydreams.

·
Registered
INTP 9w1-5w4-2w3 sp/so
2,601 Posts
Fi and Fe both have completely different effects but I understand that they can be both equally powerful. Also, it is an INFJ's auxiliary function while Fi is the second-to-last function in an INTJ. Both functions are both valid in making decisions. That is what makes users of the different functions unique. Ni gets taken into account so INTJs and INFJs have that in common. While we are different in some ways, we do have enough common ground in that aspect of how we look at ourselves. While Te is more logical than Fe, users of ti can be emotional and emphatic in their own way. We are both equally capable of picking up details about people and the world around us, we just express it in different ways. I have friends and family members who are Te users and awesome people.

The sense of self probably depends on the individual. I have heard others say that they don't really have much of a sense of self. My sense of self is pretty strong personally but I do worry about what others think. I remember parts of my thought process when I was younger and having a more blurred sense of self than I do now. Perhaps that is irrelevant because our functions develop as we get older. Maybe it is saying something about how healthy or else, unhealthy I am with my functions. I do daydream quite a bit, there is a sense of self in it but sometimes, other people and things I obsess over become more prominent. I do think a lot about my sense of self but that is not the only thing I contemplate.

Reactions: Vivid Melody

·
Registered
INTP 9w1-5w4-2w3 sp/so
2,601 Posts
i just find it hard to see life without fi,that would mean the best you can experince your inner self is by cold logic
Yes. While Ni-Te is important, you are right that it is good to have a balance.

Reactions: naren

·
Registered
INTP 9w1-5w4-2w3 sp/so
2,601 Posts
yes,i was talking about infjs were they have ni and ti,and that the best they can experince there inner world is by cold ti logic
That is true. We would be completely different people without our Fe. Some live without it but when we are so used to it, that is where the cold logic comes into play. I act like an unhealthy thinker when I get into stressed-out or angry mode so I think that may have something to do with it.

Reactions: naren
1 - 9 of 9 Posts