Personality Cafe banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i made a post like this already but im very interested in how infjs view themselfs having ni and ti,both ni and ti is very detached functions,does an infj even have a self image,since they can only view themselfs through ti?as a judgning function?,also how do you infjs expeirnce emotions?since ni and ti are so detached?

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
ok so i made a post like this already but im very interested in how infjs view themselfs having ni and ti,both ni and ti is very detached functions,does an infj even have a self image,since they can only view themselfs through ti?as a judgning function?,also how do you infjs expeirnce emotions?since ni and ti are so detached?
I view myself through my view of the world. Who I am is, essentially, my place in the world. Fe gives me the means to identify with those close to me while Ti enables me to know exactly where I end and others begin. In this sense, my self image is a rather technical knowledge of what I am as an individual and how I relate to others throughout my day.

Reactions: fresh and naren

·
Banned
1,841 Posts
How I see myself doesn't matter. I'm the person how people perceive me.

About emotions, mostly I have no idea what I'm feeling but I intensely feel what others feeling and I can easily define it. Sometimes I feel bad seemingly for no reason then I wait for something to happen. Rarely, If I want to feel something I listen to music. I'm fine with feeling nothing which I call it serenity. It makes me think clearly.

·
Registered
10,454 Posts
A lot of this is dependent on the individual. We do not only view ourselves through the lens of Ni and Ti, these are just preferred cognitive functions of the INFJ - meaning the cognitive processes we prefer to rely on the most in life and generally use as a main approach to life.

Emotions are not the same as having a preference for a feeling function. However, you can make some correlations. Everyone experiences emotions. It's just that, due to auxiliary Fe, when I am around others - I am often more so focused on all their stuff (emotional and otherwise) because Fe wants to accommodate and meet their needs. Other people are able to influence my emotional state quite a bit. When unhealthy, I allow them to influence me too much.

It's personally easier for me to get deeply in touch with my own emotions when I'm alone. I do feel my own emotions very viscerally, I just don't prefer to stop there. I then attempt to take a step outside of the emotion to observe it and understand the implications of what I'm feeling and why etc. etc. I find this enlightening and invigorating. Also, when I'm depressed, I'm less able to do this. I tend to drown in my emotions in a really unhealthy way, I lose perspective or I have a warped view of reality. I'm not myself which is why being offered insight and clarity when I'm like that does a world of good for me.

Yes, we all project an image to the world. This isn't the whole self or true self though. It's just a role. I'm under no illusion that it's any more than that. It really depends how much the INFJ has identified with their ego at any given time. Also, I obviously can't speak for all INFJ's. I'm a type 6w5 so I tend to be more detached anyway (I think). So I'd consider enneagram here too.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
@naren I wasn't sure what you were trying to get at in this thread, or rather what your concern is. So I looked at some of your previous threads.

I think it is 'individual identity' rather than 'self-image' that you mean to refer to.

I get the impression that you think Fi is what gives people an individual identity, and the absence or weakness of Fi leads to a person being devoid of an identity of their own so they are effectively an empty vessel filled with just other people's emotions.

I actually have little interest in other people's 'self-image', except where it is so far removed from reality that it is effectively an illness or so negative that it becomes a self-fulfilling prophesy.

What I am interested in, is not what people think they are but what they actually are; underneath the image they project and/or have created for their own personal pleasure or ego protection.

Concerning INFJs in particular, we tend to have very strong value systems. So whilst we relate to others using Fe, which can present as soft [malleable] and warm, in fact we tend to have a relatively hard core sense of self in terms of what we stand for, and the type of people we want to be, which does not easily change just because other people don't like who we are.

In terms of detachment from personal feelings, I can say for myself that yes I tend to not take into consideration my personal feelings so much when making decisions, and this may be due to Ni and Ti. But I will go further than that, and say that I am also not influenced by the feelings of others when deciding on what is objectively true or false, or right and wrong. I may try my best to communicate my thoughts in such a way that gives consideration to the feelings of others, but feelings themselves do not weigh greatly in my decision making/judgment process. [I should probably add here that I'm an enneagram 1, so I also come from that perspective].

As for how we feel our own emotions. Ni and Ti are detached, but their conclusions tend to evoke an emotional response, so yes we experience emotions which are personal about ourselves, in addition to all the emotions we pick up from Fe'ing everyone around us too. This results in us being quite an ''emotional' type, prone to overwhelm and burnout if we do not take care of ourselves.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts