Personality Cafe banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
2,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I have a question about the enneagram. When one takes the enneagram test, it says, for example, "a 6 when stressed will react like a stressed 3 or when comfortable and positive will react like an objective and cool 9." So, are these reactions the tri-type of a six or is this just part of the tri-type? Thanks and apologies in advance! The apologies are for a potentially redundant question.

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
Hello. I have a question about the enneagram. When one takes the enneagram test, it says, for example, "a 6 when stressed will react like a stressed 3 or when comfortable and positive will react like an objective and cool 9." So, are these reactions the tri-type of a six or is this just part of the tri-type? Thanks and apologies in advance! The apologies are for a potentially redundant question.
Paths to integration or disintegration makes you take up characteristics of those other types because the central fear of your particular core type are no longer present and make you seem like the other types. Tritype isn't known to have an effect on these matters, but some do speculate.

EDIT: It is better for people to ask then know instead of not and being uncertain. Questions are always welcomed.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
There's an article in the thread linked below talking about stress and security points (also called integration/disintegration depending on the author). What you're speaking about doesn't have anything to do with tri-types - it's a part of your core type. If you look at the diagram at the top of this forum (Enneagram Personality Theory Forum) you can see the lines of integration/disintegration. So you were talking about type 6, follow the lines and you'll see they connect to 3 and 9.

I'm a 5 so I disintegrate to 7 (stress point) and integrate to 8 (security point).

Here's a recent thread where we talked a bit about this:
http://personalitycafe.com/enneagra...m/93181-lines-integration-disintegration.html

·
Banned
2,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, so the "lines of dis/integration" relate solely on your core type? Hmmmm...interesting...I guess that seems a bit more plausible because if one relates to the lines of integration of every tri-type with wings, it seems like one could be most of the types in some way.

I am asking because I am uncertain of my enneagram even still after a lot of reflection and reading of articles and even a book on it(the book doesn't go too in depth though). 6 and 9 make a lot of sense for me, and there's situations in my life where I can say, "that's a six thing." Or when I feel like stressed 3 for not living up to expectations at a job or denial(or hiding) of failures, etc. Also, it's like I feel I can relate to most of the types except for like 3 or 4 types.

Thanks for the encourage of asking questions...I needed that!

Reactions: Wake and sleepyhead

·
Registered
529 Posts
Thank you sleepyhead and Wake a million times over for the link and encouragement! I too am new to Ennegrams and terribly confused by my results statement "...when a Type Two is stressed, they can become aggressive like an unhealthy Type Eight... " bit. There's soooo much stuff here (not a complaint mind you) that finding things can take a while.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts