Personality Cafe banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To make this more of a valid topic feel free to comment on these questions as well. Id love to see how others feels; How do you all feel about your "purpose" in life? As in do you know what you were put here for? Is there something you are avidly trying to accomplish? etc.

I would also appreciate it if a few people could take a look at my own personal views/problems.

Reason I ask is because Ive never really been sure of what I need to do with my life. I know I am a good listener and I love helping people but I just have no idea what I need to do. The obvious answer for most would be a counselor or something similar and yes I could see myself doing it and I am currently a psychology major but at the same time. School is so boring to me. I love working with things hands on because I find it interesting. If it is just a general studies class I could care less about it. Yet if it is about Psychology or some other subject I find very interesting I am able to apply myself to it and come out with good grades. I frustrate my mother and other people close to me because I literally bull shit my way through school. I dont study and still come in on test days and make passing grades. Its very apparent that if I could apply myself then I could make good grades but something just hinders me from staying motivated to do my work and to put in the work.

Ive also noticed here lately that Im sortve floundering about in life lately. Not trying to sound depressing or anything but Ive just noticed that here of late its like I have no purpose in life. I feel as if I just "go through the motions" daily and Im not making any progress in getting closer to being the person I want to be. A typical day looks like this.

School 9:30 AM- 12:15
Gym 12:30- 1:30/2:00
Work 3-10 PM

by the time Im finished with that I would like some "me" time and just generally dont feel like opening a book because Im about to go to bed. I dont know. I feel like Im just ranting about nothing but this is a very real problem I have and was just wondering if anyone else has ever felt like this and what steps they may have taken to correct it.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I understand where you're coming from, mainly because of my depression having me lose motivation in the things I love. I very much feel like "I'm going through the motions" too; however, you got to give your own purpose to life. You can't have someone else define it for you.

I gave myself a purpose. To see where this life goes, to just at least explore it for what it's worth and enjoy what I can. For in truth it is all I can do. Do I want to do some things? Yes. I very much want to become a Landscape Architect but I'll have to go through some long drawn out steps to get there. But one day...

For now? Gotta keep on going.

Same with you. Keep on going, and be on the lookout for what drives your passion for life.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Sounds like you don't have enough time to even think about living; the only real time to yourself is when you eat, sleep and go to the gym.

This is probably a temporary phase in your life, so that when you can ditch large chunks of time that are given over to the necessities during the day, you'll actually have some space to prioritise.

It may be radical, but if you want to act sooner, you're going to have to take a sabbatical from either school or work, so you can really think about what you want to do.

·
Registered
144 Posts
And probably when you go to sleep or eat, you think about your work, school or gym, you don't have much time to clear your mind, especially when you are an introvert. When i would be in your situation, a day off from all these three things would work fine for me, just go someplace else, with a good friend or a girlfriend even better, if not, then just go some quiet place and be by myself and tune myself out of this junk. I feel your "rant", it seems that nowadays when you become a grownup, you suddenly have to graduate your school, start looking for a job, try to find your place in the world, look for healthier people around you and stuff like that. Work, study, bring the pain to your brain, sleep, eat, go out, fuck, cry. there certainly has got to be something more than that, something more than work and relationships, something that makes life really meaningful right ? It can't be that simple, c'mon now.

Awkward post from me.

·
Banned
3,653 Posts
Yeah, we are nothing more than social animals. Nothing more; nothing less.
Thus, every day is just full of tedious routines that have no real or actual purpose or meaning.
It's just an animal doing what it needs to do in order to prolong its life.
Getting a job, getting married, brushing your teeth every morning, buying the latest dildo.
It's all meaningless nonsense in the end and we humans should learn to live life a little more authentically.

But, that's the problem: how to actually balance our physical and social needs with our existential needs is a tough one.
It's up to each individual to figure out how to do that.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I definitely feel where you all are coming from and I do honestly believe that part of the problem stems from me not having enough time to really sit down and think by myself now. I wasnt really looking for a higher meaning in life. I guess its just that Ive become so over whelmed by trying to fit into what "society" deems as the way you are supposed to do things when you become a "grown up".

Im taking a trip to see my best friend in Kentucky here soon. So maybe I can use that 3 day weekend to just really sit down with him and talk. Guess Im gonna see if I cant spend my off time actually thinking about myself and myself alone which I seem to find hard to do. When ever I start to ask myself very in depth "self-analysis" questions it is almost like I try to hide from myself and I dont really understand that.

Thank you all for your input so far. Has been beneficial.

·
Registered
959 Posts
I don't think I have a purpose in life and if I did, I don't know what it is at all. I just know that I really want to get married to a wonderful person, have kids, and be happy.
I don't try as much as I would like to in school either but I make pretty decent grades. It feels a little pointless for me to try hard, I don't know why maybe I'm just naturally lazy. But it's probably that I think that grades, while important, aren't the most biggest things in the world.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Sounds like the routine with no immediate goal is drainning you. Maybe you don't have to have a drastic change in your life but really think about what other things you could change. Even the smallest things. Do things backwards even. Instead of going to the gym, go to the park and try to connect with strangers. Change your diet up. Build something amazing. Sometimes its hard to remember that we are still in charge of our lives. Talk to people who have obtained the goal you are aiming at, psychologists (besides your teachers), and talk to them about how they got to where they are. Maybe talk about your own dillema a bit. If you can see the end result of your own hard work in someone else, you might get more motivated. Like the others have said, just keep chuggin' along.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the added input. I went and hung out with a real close friend of mine last night and we just sortve walked and talked about everything. It seems like I was making my dreams too broad almost. I told her that I wanted to be successful and she made a great point by saying that success is defined by the person. From there I realized that Im actually very similar to you Outcode in the sense that when I imagine how I want my life to be in the future, I want to see myself married with an amazing little family and I dont necessarily have to be rich but I would like to be somewhat well off financially.

After sortve defining my own version of success Im thinking of possibly changing a few things in my life and just trying to do something that is gonna make myself happy. Cause in the end, we are the ones who have to live with our decisions.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Thanks for the added input. I went and hung out with a real close friend of mine last night and we just sortve walked and talked about everything. It seems like I was making my dreams too broad almost. I told her that I wanted to be successful and she made a great point by saying that success is defined by the person. From there I realized that Im actually very similar to you Outcode in the sense that when I imagine how I want my life to be in the future, I want to see myself married with an amazing little family and I dont necessarily have to be rich but I would like to be somewhat well off financially.

After sortve defining my own version of success Im thinking of possibly changing a few things in my life and just trying to do something that is gonna make myself happy. Cause in the end, we are the ones who have to live with our decisions.
Yeahh that's just about exactly what I want. I think you got my point and it seems like you know a little bit better about what you want. Good for you man, and goodluck with everything. :proud:

·
Registered
806 Posts
To make this more of a valid topic feel free to comment on these questions as well. Id love to see how others feels; How do you all feel about your "purpose" in life? As in do you know what you were put here for? Is there something you are avidly trying to accomplish? etc.

I would also appreciate it if a few people could take a look at my own personal views/problems.

Reason I ask is because Ive never really been sure of what I need to do with my life. I know I am a good listener and I love helping people but I just have no idea what I need to do. The obvious answer for most would be a counselor or something similar and yes I could see myself doing it and I am currently a psychology major but at the same time. School is so boring to me. I love working with things hands on because I find it interesting. If it is just a general studies class I could care less about it. Yet if it is about Psychology or some other subject I find very interesting I am able to apply myself to it and come out with good grades. I frustrate my mother and other people close to me because I literally bull shit my way through school. I dont study and still come in on test days and make passing grades. Its very apparent that if I could apply myself then I could make good grades but something just hinders me from staying motivated to do my work and to put in the work.

Ive also noticed here lately that Im sortve floundering about in life lately. Not trying to sound depressing or anything but Ive just noticed that here of late its like I have no purpose in life. I feel as if I just "go through the motions" daily and Im not making any progress in getting closer to being the person I want to be. A typical day looks like this.

School 9:30 AM- 12:15
Gym 12:30- 1:30/2:00
Work 3-10 PM

by the time Im finished with that I would like some "me" time and just generally dont feel like opening a book because Im about to go to bed. I dont know. I feel like Im just ranting about nothing but this is a very real problem I have and was just wondering if anyone else has ever felt like this and what steps they may have taken to correct it.
I can relate to most of what you said. I have to do my homework, but I geniunely don't want to. I can't motivate myself really well. It's extremely boring and I have to force myself to do it. But when it comes to subjects I'm actually interested in(i.e MBTI) I get obsessed. About your problem---don't worry. You'll eventually find your role in your life, and find out what job is really for you. You just have to wait for it to come to you, because if you try looking for it too much, you may never find it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts