Personality Cafe banner

21 - 40 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
As a new a member among others, I definitely agree with your point. I recently started getting into this whole MBTI personality type thing and like all "personal identifiers" (for the lack of a precise term) such as horoscopes, blood types (particularly in Asia), races, colors, college majors, etc. people fall into the whole this notion "I am this, you are that, and that is only how I see you." There seems to be an unconscious need for belonging within individuals to find a group that they can fit in with. It probably stems from our ancestral need to form communities and be wary of outsiders in order to stay alive. That being said, we are no longer in that time but still the need to find belonging will always be a part of our lives. However that does not excuse individuals to use the MBTI type to label others as only as their dominant cognitive functions allow. I find this especially true among some other "self-proclaimed" INTPs (not just in PC), this whole notion about being the dominant Ti, Ne somehow makes us better than others makes me roll my eyes. Confidence and pride in oneself is fine, but arrogance is just annoying. Prestige and achievement in my point of view, is secondary to the pursuit of truth, wisdom and knowledge (and of course, efficiency). Which often makes me question some of my colleagues, TAs, and professors... they can often be arrogant bastards, who only care about appearing to be right rather than pursuing the actual truth in research and questioning.

Sorry for the unintended rant. I like your post! You make very good points. Kudos to you! :laughing:

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
As a new a member among others, I definitely agree with your point. I recently started getting into this whole MBTI personality type thing and like all "personal identifiers" (for the lack of a precise term) such as horoscopes, blood types (particularly in Asia), races, colors, college majors, etc. people fall into the whole this notion "I am this, you are that, and that is only how I see you." There seems to be an unconscious need for belonging within individuals to find a group that they can fit in with. It probably stems from our ancestral need to form communities and be wary of outsiders in order to stay alive. That being said, we are no longer in that time but still the need to find belonging will always be a part of our lives. However that does not excuse individuals to use the MBTI type to label others as only as their dominant cognitive functions allow. I find this especially true among some other "self-proclaimed" INTPs (not just in PC), this whole notion about being the dominant Ti, Ne somehow makes us better than others makes me roll my eyes. Confidence and pride in oneself is fine, but arrogance is just annoying. Prestige and achievement in my point of view, is secondary to the pursuit of truth, wisdom and knowledge (and of course, efficiency). Which often makes me question some of my colleagues, TAs, and professors... they can often be arrogant bastards, who only care about appearing to be right rather than pursuing the actual truth in research and questioning.

Sorry for the unintended rant. I like your post! You make very good points. Kudos to you! :laughing:
Thanks! I'm glad you liked it. And I loved your points too. I feel like we can go back and forth talking about this. (Those arrogant bastards!!! Ne is MUCH more important than Ti. pffffft!) lol ;)

Thanks again!! and welcome welcome!! :happy:

·
Registered
930 Posts
I'd like to add that I've noticed some people seem to violent defend themselves being a certain type over another, which is a bit confusing to me. I understand being proud of your type, but you also have to accept evidence/theories that you may be another type. After all, it's not the end of the world if you're an ENTP I instead of ENFP for example, and if you are in fact an ENTP that would allow you to develop yourself further, more so than if you still considered yourself ENFP.

For example, I'm constantly bouncing between ENFP and ESFP as types, and consider myself as a person some kind of weird combination of the two ;) Best of both worlds it seems like but meh ahaha.

Really interesting read though, thanks :D

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I'd like to add that I've noticed some people seem to violent defend themselves being a certain type over another, which is a bit confusing to me. I understand being proud of your type, but you also have to accept evidence/theories that you may be another type. After all, it's not the end of the world if you're an ENTP I instead of ENFP for example, and if you are in fact an ENTP that would allow you to develop yourself further, more so than if you still considered yourself ENFP.

For example, I'm constantly bouncing between ENFP and ESFP as types, and consider myself as a person some kind of weird combination of the two ;) Best of both worlds it seems like but meh ahaha.

Really interesting read though, thanks :D
As for bouncing between the two, that is interesting. ENFP and ESFP share the auxiliary Fi and the tertiary Te. My child is an ESFP as far as I can see- and I'm an ENFP- and we have many similiarities. Though I am SO not a sensor, so it's clear to me. But perhaps you have well-developed intuition and sensing. :)

As for people defending their type or trying to puzzle piece themselves into a type, that's sad. This should be a tool to see what you actually are and then put to good use in your life. Not to make you feel special quite frankly. ;) Thanks for reading the article!

:)
~Mango / Laguna

·
Registered
363 Posts
Bravo. Before I took the test I felt as though I had to do something to change the way I act (of a sort, it was just one in a thousand ideas bouncing around my head at the current time) since it was just so different from the people I knew. Random was my middle name, on the outside. But people just couldn't understand the way I put things together so quickly in my head from the tiniest connections.
That was just one of the reasons, until I discovered the MBTI test. And when I read the "ENTP" description I was so shocked it almost seemed as if somebody had been living inside my head and decided to write an article about it.
I have found the whole personality type deal so incredibly interesting that I need to take a step back and realize that yes, this may be so and so's type, but they are still a person. The four letter code is just a base to each person, you make it unique.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Thank you @Laguna for sharing your perspective and thoughts. While reading I could feel the truth hitting in the depths, which is the greatest pursuit in my life, truth.

Very grateful :happy:
omg thank YOU for your comments which physically hit me in the stomach (in a good way.) :)
We share the exact same life pursuit!!!!
You don't know what it means when someone is affected by my writing- and connects with the message I'm trying to convey.
Thank you again.
I'M very grateful.

~Laguna
:happy:

·
Registered
682 Posts

Hahaha, I love paragraph long rants, especially if they have periods in them. Paragraph long run-on sentence rants are harder to read. I should know, I make them. :kitteh:

Sounds like you'll be friends with Ben Franklin if he was still around. Too bad. He liked the pursuit of truth over "winning arguments". But, I have to say I like winning arguments as well. It's a tough one. Mostly, I just like kudos, cookies and gold stars. :wink:

I may be biased because my current bf is an INTP like yourself. I've also been mistaken for the crazy ENTP (I say this with respect, because I have the issue with connections everywhere, many ideas, randomness -- I also think I might end up here from time to time. It's a compliment I call you crazy. :proud:) , but I think I'll stick to my ENFP self for awhile... apparently. But I have a soft spot for ESFJ guys.... I haven't figured it out yet, either. I just like lots of people and different people. Although it really sucks if you're the only one close to you in a group of 20 and they're all opposite to you, pretty much.... uh, not speaking from experience, of course. :wink:

I don't know if you're still around on the forums, but hell, I'mma going to leave this paragraph long rant as a quote for posterity. Because I like it.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)
Hahaha, I love paragraph long rants, especially if they have periods in them. Paragraph long run-on sentence rants are harder to read. I should know, I make them. :kitteh:

Sounds like you'll be friends with Ben Franklin if he was still around. Too bad. He liked the pursuit of truth over "winning arguments". But, I have to say I like winning arguments as well. It's a tough one. Mostly, I just like kudos, cookies and gold stars. :wink:

I may be biased because my current bf is an INTP like yourself. I've also been mistaken for the crazy ENTP (I say this with respect, because I have the issue with connections everywhere, many ideas, randomness -- I also think I might end up here from time to time. It's a compliment I call you crazy. :proud:) , but I think I'll stick to my ENFP self for awhile... apparently. But I have a soft spot for ESFJ guys.... I haven't figured it out yet, either. I just like lots of people and different people. Although it really sucks if you're the only one close to you in a group of 20 and they're all opposite to you, pretty much.... uh, not speaking from experience, of course. :wink:

I don't know if you're still around on the forums, but hell, I'mma going to leave this paragraph long rant as a quote for posterity. Because I like it.
ESFJ guys know exactly how to care for ENFP girls. Don't ever forget that. ;)

Edit: adding a video of an adorable couple in this combo.

·
Registered
682 Posts
ESFJ guys know exactly how to care for ENFP girls. Don't ever forget that. ;)

Edit: adding a video of an adorable couple in this combo.
Great. Now you're trying to tempt me! You stop that right now! :blushed: :proud:

Me and my INTP are good together. I'm apparently the organized one (this is a very, very bad thing indeed...). But he lets me freewheel and he'll join me in it as well and question everything that comes by. It's a good thing in that respect.

Mostly, though, the oddest thing is I only found ESFJ guys it in a certain profession so far in my life. I find it most fascinating because of that... and confusing. And odd.

I laughed while watching this video. He's a man of few words, this one. I love how bubbly she was and the guy was like... ".... yeah," in responses, almost deadpan. Too funny. :laughing: Think he might be camera shy a little bit, too. He is shy and awkward in front of a camera or the idea of dispelling anything personal. There's just something about that that seems to be striking me strange. Can't explain it. I think it's really cute. lol

I bet you money at other times he's a chatterbox. Or, I could be completely wrong, too. I have ran into ESFJ guys that are more quiet. I've been shy in front of cameras and crowds (and people would never see me that way!) :proud:

I love how they talked about the sensing about the details. I'm not much for details and it gets me in trouble from time to time. I remember specifically being reigned in on that point. It was the point (hahahaha.....). Told me to focus in on the moment. I found it to be so vary apt... but sometimes I really don't want to, because the moment... sometimes I'll drown in it. It doesn't do me any good. Some other times, though, would be a good idea. I still kind of don't 100% get it, but maybe one day I will. I have my ideas on what it could mean and its really bittersweet. Which makes me sad, but, what can I really say.

I also really liked the little things. The little things are the big things. It's totally gestalt (sum greater than the sum of its parts). I always notice the little things and the fun part is I think he noticed me noticing the little things (that other people didn't -- probably). I *always* notice... I'm 99.9% sure on this. I always let them know, if I can. ... And maybe, maybe, I knew what was in "The care and feeding of your ESFJ" manual (a la @Zombie Devil Duckie). I don't know how I knew, I just knew these things. It's kind of odd, but I'll take it. :proud: :wink:

I also really like their sentimentality. I wish I knew how to explain this, but this comment has gotten long enough. There's this ESFJ in my class right now and he says the cutest things. :happy:

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Great. Now you're trying to tempt me! You stop that right now! :blushed: :proud:

Me and my INTP are good together. I'm apparently the organized one (this is a very, very bad thing indeed...). But he lets me freewheel and he'll join me in it as well and question everything that comes by. It's a good thing in that respect.

Mostly, though, the oddest thing is I only found ESFJ guys it in a certain profession so far in my life. I find it most fascinating because of that... and confusing. And odd.

I laughed while watching this video. He's a man of few words, this one. I love how bubbly she was and the guy was like... ".... yeah," in responses, almost deadpan. Too funny. :laughing: Think he might be camera shy a little bit, too. He is shy and awkward in front of a camera or the idea of dispelling anything personal. There's just something about that that seems to be striking me strange. Can't explain it. I think it's really cute. lol

I bet you money at other times he's a chatterbox. Or, I could be completely wrong, too. I have ran into ESFJ guys that are more quiet. I've been shy in front of cameras and crowds (and people would never see me that way!) :proud:

I love how they talked about the sensing about the details. I'm not much for details and it gets me in trouble from time to time. I remember specifically being reigned in on that point. It was the point (hahahaha.....). Told me to focus in on the moment. I found it to be so vary apt... but sometimes I really don't want to, because the moment... sometimes I'll drown in it. It doesn't do me any good. Some other times, though, would be a good idea. I still kind of don't 100% get it, but maybe one day I will. I have my ideas on what it could mean and its really bittersweet. Which makes me sad, but, what can I really say.

I also really liked the little things. The little things are the big things. It's totally gestalt (sum greater than the sum of its parts). I always notice the little things and the fun part is I think he noticed me noticing the little things (that other people didn't -- probably). And maybe, maybe, I knew what was in "The care and feeding of your ESFJ" manual (a la @Zombie Devil Duckie). I don't know how I knew, I just knew these things. It's kind of odd, but I'll take it. :proud: :wink:
LOL yeah- he seems quintessentially ESFJ. Cute, a bit shy, smitten by his woman and proud to take care of her. Yeah- the sensing thing is pretty huge. I am sensing impaired- like pretty badly. Sensors get a bad rap and well- they shouldn't. My ISFJ friend essentially is my life diary as I spent so much time with her during the course of my lifetime, she remembers the details of what I did while I was too busy intuiting and socializing! I'm so grateful to have her in my life.

I can imagine an INTP relationship being an amazing one. No doubt. But for me- I feel like the house of cards would come tumbing down with 2 Ps. I'm pretty squarely P--- so I tend to seek out Js to help me there. Good luck- you sound young and like you are having fun in life- all is breezy. Stay that way- please. You are a breath of fresh air, ENFP. :)

·
Registered
682 Posts
LOL yeah- he seems quintessentially ESFJ. Cute, a bit shy, smitten by his woman and proud to take care of her. Yeah- the sensing thing is pretty huge. I am sensing impaired- like pretty badly. Sensors get a bad rap and well- they shouldn't. My ISFJ friend essentially is my life diary as I spent so much time with her during the course of my lifetime, she remembers the details of what I did while I was too busy intuiting and socializing! I'm so grateful to have her in my life.

I can imagine an INTP relationship being an amazing one. No doubt. But for me- I feel like the house of cards would come tumbing down with 2 Ps. I'm pretty squarely P--- so I tend to seek out Js to help me there. Good luck- you sound young and like you are having fun in life- all is breezy. Stay that way- please. You are a breath of fresh air, ENFP. :)
Totally! For all of this. I need an ESFJ in my life. In some way, matter, as a mentor, boss, anything.

Well, I have some ground rules that I have set regarding relationship and money and we've been living together happily for 3 years now, no big fights about money or anything (and I'm a student, so we're not rich -- but I'm happy he's supporting me to finish school). I seek out Js in terms of mentorship/taking care of, etc. I will be childlike forever, promise. I try to have fun, sometimes people really ruin that by saying they're "realistic", when they're actually being very pessimistic. I believe in control of risks, money, etc because it can ruin fun, but then you should have fun because that's what life is about and we only have one of these.... well, apparently. Maybe I was something else in a past life... I'm not sure.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Totally! For all of this. I need an ESFJ in my life. In some way, matter, as a mentor, boss, anything.

Well, I have some ground rules that I have set regarding relationship and money and we've been living together happily for 3 years now, no big fights about money or anything (and I'm a student, so we're not rich -- but I'm happy he's supporting me to finish school). I seek out Js in terms of mentorship/taking care of, etc. I will be childlike forever, promise. I try to have fun, sometimes people really ruin that by saying they're "realistic", when they're actually being very pessimistic. I believe in control of risks, money, etc because it can ruin fun, but then you should have fun because that's what life is about and we only have one of these.... well, apparently. Maybe I was something else in a past life... I'm not sure.
Needing an ESFJ in your life as a mentor. They would be best mentoring in ways of specific skills or jobs (maybe not big picture career planning etc.) Mentoring in the sense of helping you organize your thoughts and your every day life. Putting things in perspective- when we can see all of the possibilities (good, bad, ugly) they could flesh it out and say, "It's no biggie. Roll with it." For more strategic mentoring, an NT on your side is great- so you and your INTP seem to be clicking well. I have an ENTP executive mentoring me essentially at my company and what I really gain from this dynamic relationship (ENTP/ENFP are the only Ne doms- so there is a bond of perspective there in a really fascinating and thrilling way.) is having someone actually see a bigger picture than I can / and quicker as their Ti hones in on the RIGHT choice SO quickly- sometimes it's astounding to me. And their Fe adds this element of networking to their vast world where sometimes- it's a conversation like, "It would serve your career greatly to participate in X and X events. I gotta guy. Let me make a phone call." It's good stuff- when we are not butting heads. :)

As for personal relationships, I'm really keen on the socionics take on this and beneficiary / benefactor relations which is what ENFP/ESFJ is (where ENFP is the recipient/gets to be the "diva") and ENFP/ENTJ (where ENTJ is the recipient / gets to be the "diva.") Whether you are being fanned or fanning (nurturance) it's a really lovely thing. ;)

As for being child-like, heck yeah. That is why people think we are dense and dingy blondes. We might be clumsy and spaced out in Ne quite a bit, but we have brains and can make astounding connections. And remain childlike. I had to try hard at times to put on my big girl face in heavy professional situations when I just wanted to jump on the damn table and lead everyone in the YMCA dance. Hey- I gotta be me. (Child like- it doesn't change. Be who you are proudly! Be yourself!) :)

·
Registered
682 Posts
Needing an ESFJ in your life as a mentor. They would be best mentoring in ways of specific skills or jobs (maybe not big picture career planning etc.) Mentoring in the sense of helping you organize your thoughts and your every day life. Putting things in perspective- when we can see all of the possibilities (good, bad, ugly) they could flesh it out and say, "It's no biggie. Roll with it." For more strategic mentoring, an NT on your side is great- so you and your INTP seem to be clicking well. I have an ENTP executive mentoring me essentially at my company and what I really gain from this dynamic relationship (ENTP/ENFP are the only Ne doms- so there is a bond of perspective there in a really fascinating and thrilling way.) is having someone actually see a bigger picture than I can / and quicker as their Ti hones in on the RIGHT choice SO quickly- sometimes it's astounding to me. And their Fe adds this element of networking to their vast world where sometimes- it's a conversation like, "It would serve your career greatly to participate in X and X events. I gotta guy. Let me make a phone call." It's good stuff- when we are not butting heads. :)

As for personal relationships, I'm really keen on the socionics take on this and beneficiary / benefactor relations which is what ENFP/ESFJ is (where ENFP is the recipient/gets to be the "diva") and ENFP/ENTJ (where ENTJ is the recipient / gets to be the "diva.") Whether you are being fanned or fanning (nurturance) it's a really lovely thing. ;)

As for being child-like, heck yeah. That is why people think we are dense and dingy blondes. We might be clumsy and spaced out in Ne quite a bit, but we have brains and can make astounding connections. And remain childlike. I had to try hard at times to put on my big girl face in heavy professional situations when I just wanted to jump on the damn table and lead everyone in the YMCA dance. Hey- I gotta be me. (Child like- it doesn't change. Be who you are proudly! Be yourself!) :)
Yes, but surprisingly this one had his extroverted intuitive function developed. It was rather exciting for me because it was the perfect blend of planning, rolling with the punches and seeing how he sees the bigger picture (abiet with less experience doing it). Either way, it's like he could almost see what I was seeing -- which is rare. I felt really understood. And knowing general ESFJ tenancies, he must have been thrilled. However, specifics were definitely the discussion of the day... I knew I need it, but I suck at it. This happens a lot with me and yes, that has happened -- the roll with it, thing. When, ultimately, that's what I wanted to do, but I always felt an obligation or there was expectation of performance and I hate to disappoint. I'm always so torn about that.

INTP is good for strategic, but my craziness comes with the ENTP currently in my life. We all seem to know the same people, even though we've never crossed paths before (somehow!) and he seemed to really enjoy that fact that we both know people in our area. Especially when it's not expected. I guess I'm the one out of left field... I feel that he really likes the idea about that. He encourages my odd thinking when I've been told for years to settle down, be practical, etc. I've been fighting against myself for years regarding this sort of thing. When you're raised with a strict SJ, you tend to have the practical and rational side, no matter what you really are, hidden in the back of your mind... as odd as that sounds? I don't know. We have yet to really have butt heads (hahaha, really funny). I have found myself to be an odd mix of practical and flighty tendencies.

I've always been on the fence regarding socionics. I can see where it's going and I understand it. I feel that I haven't truly studied it enough to really get it, if that makes any sense. So, I can't really say, but I'll take your word for it. :) I like being taken care of the best, even though when people talk to me, they think I want to rule the world or run everything or something to that effect. But really, deep down, I like being taken care of as well. There's just something really cute and sweet about it. I have no idea. Maybe it's how I view relationships ultimately? There could be a lot stemming from that.

Sadly, I'm literally a dirty blonde. I'm also petite... it really adds to the "tee hee" of the personality. When I dress more business lie and put on a poker face, negotiators start questioning their line of work. I'm the odd one out that they can't figure out. Or I play up the cute and get them in out smarting them in some soft touch negotiation tactic. Works like a charm. Sadly, in the summer, I look a good half a decade younger because of colour choice in clothing... and cute skirts. Augh. I can't help it! Mostly, I channel the crazy into half baked experimental ideas. Seems to work for me. Might not be a shocker for you to find I'm a creative and a programmer at the same time. It's a gift... and one I had to build at (the programming, at any rate -- that's straight logic you're looking at).

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Yes, but surprisingly this one had his extroverted intuitive function developed. It was rather exciting for me because it was the perfect blend of planning, rolling with the punches and seeing how he sees the bigger picture (abiet with less experience doing it). Either way, it's like he could almost see what I was seeing -- which is rare. I felt really understood. And knowing general ESFJ tenancies, he must have been thrilled. However, specifics were definitely the discussion of the day... I knew I need it, but I suck at it. This happens a lot with me and yes, that has happened -- the roll with it, thing. When, ultimately, that's what I wanted to do, but I always felt an obligation or there was expectation of performance and I hate to disappoint. I'm always so torn about that.

INTP is good for strategic, but my craziness comes with the ENTP currently in my life. We all seem to know the same people, even though we've never crossed paths before (somehow!) and he seemed to really enjoy that fact that we both know people in our area. Especially when it's not expected. I guess I'm the one out of left field... I feel that he really likes the idea about that. He encourages my odd thinking when I've been told for years to settle down, be practical, etc. I've been fighting against myself for years regarding this sort of thing. When you're raised with a strict SJ, you tend to have the practical and rational side, no matter what you really are, hidden in the back of your mind... as odd as that sounds? I don't know. We have yet to really have butt heads (hahaha, really funny). I have found myself to be an odd mix of practical and flighty tendencies.

I've always been on the fence regarding socionics. I can see where it's going and I understand it. I feel that I haven't truly studied it enough to really get it, if that makes any sense. So, I can't really say, but I'll take your word for it. :) I like being taken care of the best, even though when people talk to me, they think I want to rule the world or run everything or something to that effect. But really, deep down, I like being taken care of as well. There's just something really cute and sweet about it. I have no idea. Maybe it's how I view relationships ultimately? There could be a lot stemming from that.

Sadly, I'm literally a dirty blonde. I'm also petite... it really adds to the "tee hee" of the personality. When I dress more business lie and put on a poker face, negotiators start questioning their line of work. I'm the odd one out that they can't figure out. Or I play up the cute and get them in out smarting them in some soft touch negotiation tactic. Works like a charm. Sadly, in the summer, I look a good half a decade younger because of colour choice in clothing... and cute skirts. Augh. I can't help it! Mostly, I channel the crazy into half baked experimental ideas. Seems to work for me. Might not be a shocker for you to find I'm a creative and a programmer at the same time. It's a gift... and one I had to build at (the programming, at any rate -- that's straight logic you're looking at).
I know many ENFPs in the technology field- no doubt it can be a great fit. You sound really grounded, spunky and positive. :) I love that. Yeah- ESFJs do actually have uncanny intuition that with Fe- really focuses on the person they are interested in which can be smothering. But it also is the launching pad for their many grand ideas. You sound adorable- from a sensing perspective haha and use it to your advantage at work. I don't mean that to sound gross- but- appearance does make a difference in cut throat corporate culture and it doesn't matter if you look young- it's how you carry yourself. We all choose the look that we project out into the world- I have no doubt in my mind about that.

21 - 40 of 87 Posts