Personality Cafe banner

61 - 80 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Ah yes, of course there is more to it than just how your brain works, but I wanted to keep it simple. And even though I know that people are not defined by their type I ocassionally catch myself doing exactly that, but I guess I will eventually "get it" (subconsciously?) and stop doing that. And don't worry, I rarely take things seriously unless they are... well... serious. I would say that for a thinking-type my feeling side is decently developed, probably thanks to my mother and having a little brother. And this is yet another thing that proves that the MBTI is just some kind of framework or a skeleton of your personality (or more of a blueprint maybe?), which makes it no less exciting though. I guess this is where the Eneagramm and Cognitive Tests come into play, but I am still far away from touching those subjects.

Oh, speaking of which - are you familiar with those? If so it would be nice if you could also share your experiences.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Ah yes, of course there is more to it than just how your brain works, but I wanted to keep it simple. And even though I know that people are not defined by their type I ocassionally catch myself doing exactly that, but I guess I will eventually "get it" (subconsciously?) and stop doing that. And don't worry, I rarely take things seriously unless they are... well... serious. I would say that for a thinking-type my feeling side is decently developed, probably thanks to my mother and having a little brother. And this is yet another thing that proves that the MBTI is just some kind of framework or a skeleton of your personality (or more of a blueprint maybe?), which makes it no less exciting though. I guess this is where the Eneagramm and Cognitive Tests come into play, but I am still far away from touching those subjects.

Oh, speaking of which - are you familiar with those? If so it would be nice if you could also share your experiences.
I'm familiar with ennagram but not too keen on it. I know a lot of people out here really like it and find it useful though. There are some good threads out here on it that I definitely recommend you check out! As for cognitive tests, not sure which tests you are referring to. There are different tests out here you can take. Some seem more for fun- others more serious. All of them are definitely interesting and fun. I think I am more of a core MBTI girl than anything else. I know I am an Sx dom. There is no doubt there. But again - not sure how much that really impacts my life per se.

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
Thank you @Laguna for this article.

Apart from MBTI being an useful tool, the most important point is not to define self and others under MBTI only. After my initial joy in discovering my type and MBTI, I went a bit crazy typing people. I realized my folly soon enough. We are all individuals and should be viewed as such. Nobody is perfect and should not be. Putting people under labels can only get me so far in interpersonal relationship (helps but it isn't end all be all).

Thank you for reminding me to thread carefully in the world of MBTI.

May your journey be a good one now and always.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Thank you @Laguna for this article.

Apart from MBTI being an useful tool, the most important point is not to define self and others under MBTI only. After my initial joy in discovering my type and MBTI, I went a bit crazy typing people. I realized my folly soon enough. We are all individuals and should be viewed as such. Nobody is perfect and should not be. Putting people under labels can only get me so far in interpersonal relationship (helps but it isn't end all be all).

Thank you for reminding me to thread carefully in the world of MBTI.

May your journey be a good one now and always.
So glad you found it valuable. Thank you for the warm wishes. I wish you the same!
:happy:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I feel the need to thank you for this article even though I know you will probably not read it now hahah, as a MBTI newbie I must addmit I made the mistake of judging people by what they got in their test instead of what I knew about themselves, I think its important not to obsess with this as you say

·
Registered
124 Posts
A good article to caution against the tendency to categorize behaviors as 'a person did/is doing this because they're type X.' Definitely an easy trap to fall into early on in MBTI knowledge.

The 16 types may look like unique, isolated boxes at first glance, but the walls of those boxes can be torn down or otherwise have holes punched through them. Mix 'em all together enough and eventually you just have a bunch of humans.

Shifting perspective from seeing what people are bad at (self included) to what their areas of strength are can be challenging, but ultimately rewarding. Knowing personal weak spots can also help create further appreciation for people that are strong in those areas.

Being aware that all types (and thus all people) have things they're not good at can also be boon when dealing with people that may appear stubborn or unreasonable - they're simply approaching the situation from a different perspective. One that comes with its own set of strengths and weaknesses. Rather than trying to make them see things from their blind spot and risk an argument, knowing why a blind spot might be there and then attempting to speak in terms the person is skilled at using is likely to yield a more successful communication.

·
Registered
8,639 Posts
I really enjoyed this article and completely agree with it

Reactions: Laguna

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
A good article to caution against the tendency to categorize behaviors as 'a person did/is doing this because they're type X.' Definitely an easy trap to fall into early on in MBTI knowledge.

The 16 types may look like unique, isolated boxes at first glance, but the walls of those boxes can be torn down or otherwise have holes punched through them. Mix 'em all together enough and eventually you just have a bunch of humans.

Shifting perspective from seeing what people are bad at (self included) to what their areas of strength are can be challenging, but ultimately rewarding. Knowing personal weak spots can also help create further appreciation for people that are strong in those areas.

Being aware that all types (and thus all people) have things they're not good at can also be boon when dealing with people that may appear stubborn or unreasonable - they're simply approaching the situation from a different perspective. One that comes with its own set of strengths and weaknesses. Rather than trying to make them see things from their blind spot and risk an argument, knowing why a blind spot might be there and then attempting to speak in terms the person is skilled at using is likely to yield a more successful communication.
Thank you and LOVE your synopsis!
:joyous:

·
Registered
142 Posts
Great article. I rarely type other people, but when I have I am fairly accurate. I still consider myself a beginner, but I like that I don't type people that I know. I am more into who they are, than what type they are. It's too much work to stop and type them, plus, I know I might get it wrong, and that wouldn't be good for either of us.

I am looking to meet other's of my type to better know myself. I figure if I can relate to others, then I can know myself, and I am curious as to how others will be. Silly thought, I know, because they will be "like" every other person I've met in life.

I am so interested in how humans think. Lately, I am intrigued by why people lock onto political parties and candidates and seem like they never change their views, even if facts say otherwise. Why do people take their internal beliefs, and attach them to themselves being more right, more moral, more valid than the person they are talking to? Why can't they change? Why can't any of us change? We seem to subconsciously internalize candidates and views on issues as being a part of ourselves, and we can't let go of it, lest we risk death. Is it Ego that makes us think we are always right?

I've tried to tame my own Ego, but it is strong. It always want's to make a snide comment, or refute a false statement made by someone else. I know that its better to not comment, but then I feel like if I don't comment, I cannot affect change, or make a difference. I don't know whether to just be an ostrich or a demagog. I think this is the INFJ in full force. Always of two minds. It's enough to drive a person crazy. Or, better said, drive three people crazy. The two of me, and the person I'm talking to. LOL.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Great article. I rarely type other people, but when I have I am fairly accurate. I still consider myself a beginner, but I like that I don't type people that I know. I am more into who they are, than what type they are. It's too much work to stop and type them, plus, I know I might get it wrong, and that wouldn't be good for either of us.

I am looking to meet other's of my type to better know myself. I figure if I can relate to others, then I can know myself, and I am curious as to how others will be. Silly thought, I know, because they will be "like" every other person I've met in life.

I am so interested in how humans think. Lately, I am intrigued by why people lock onto political parties and candidates and seem like they never change their views, even if facts say otherwise. Why do people take their internal beliefs, and attach them to themselves being more right, more moral, more valid than the person they are talking to? Why can't they change? Why can't any of us change? We seem to subconsciously internalize candidates and views on issues as being a part of ourselves, and we can't let go of it, lest we risk death. Is it Ego that makes us think we are always right?

I've tried to tame my own Ego, but it is strong. It always want's to make a snide comment, or refute a false statement made by someone else. I know that its better to not comment, but then I feel like if I don't comment, I cannot affect change, or make a difference. I don't know whether to just be an ostrich or a demagog. I think this is the INFJ in full force. Always of two minds. It's enough to drive a person crazy. Or, better said, drive three people crazy. The two of me, and the person I'm talking to. LOL.
Great questions. Love your NF mind. You should find some interesting people out here to bounce these thoughts off of. Thanks for the read! :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Learning

"It also has helped me to understand how I take in information, how I most effectively learn. This has allowed me to learn things more quickly as I’m not wasting time trying to learn something in ways that are not most effective for me. I also no longer have to “feel badly” that I do not learn things the way others do. I learn things the way that I do. And that’s okay."

I'm really curious about the details of how you learn, what elements did you find different from that of others?
Is it that you're not learning from book?

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
"It also has helped me to understand how I take in information, how I most effectively learn. This has allowed me to learn things more quickly as I’m not wasting time trying to learn something in ways that are not most effective for me. I also no longer have to “feel badly” that I do not learn things the way others do. I learn things the way that I do. And that’s okay."

I'm really curious about the details of how you learn, what elements did you find different from that of others?
Is it that you're not learning from book?
Thanks for reading my article and for posting.

Here is a solid example from my lifetime. I've worked in technology for many years which requires constant learning at work to keep up with changes. I often found myself in lecture settings where it is presented and a bunch of people seem to "get it" and are asking a ton of questions straight away- and I was sitting in the back row ... taking it in ... not ready at all to ask too many questions.

Then I would go back and play with it - let the information resonate - and once I "got it" ...I REALLY got it.

Some people can learn from being told things. I guess I need time for hands on - and I need alone time with the concepts. As an ENFP - I am a big picture person first and foremost. I need to take a step back from the details vomited at me to understand the bigger picture -- and then work my way down the funnel. I think some people may work opposite ... detailed to big picture. Or even other ways all together.

61 - 80 of 87 Posts