Personality Cafe banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else have a craving to know the more obscure concepts, ideas, and happenings of society? Not really facts for the sake of reciting as parlor tricks, however. I have a friend in Australia, and she's sent me some information on Somali music and how both music and poetry played a large role in the conflicts between Somalia and Ethiopia. It's a really niche interest, but still I'm drawn to learn about it. Not for anything external, however.

I feel like this interest extends to people too. I know the most obscure things about people, no matter how close they are to me. I ask odd questions and propose the most unlikely scenarios to learn more about their viewpoints, rather than asking more straightforward and 'obvious' questions. It's frustrating for others when they want to know more about the people in my life, and I can never answer simple inquiries, but if they wanted to know said person's definition of falling in love, I would have the proper answer for them. :tongue:

I generally don't have much interest in the usual details about a person. It just never seems too useful for me to have that information (so I couldn't recite any of their addresses off the top of my head, tell you the cities they live in, give their age, etc). My friendships are catalogued more in a yearbook of sorts rather than a phonebook. I like to know things for the purposes of mental connections and background for other information I pick up. I consider it like building a web, and there's not really an end goal in sight.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Yay, you made this thread!

It's frustrating for others when they want to know more about the people in my life, and I can never answer simple inquiries, but if they wanted to know said person's definition of falling in love, I would have the proper answer for them.
The sentence reminded me of this:

“Grown-ups love figures... When you tell them you've made a new friend they never ask you any questions about essential matters. They never say to you "What does his voice sound like? What games does he love best? Does he collect butterflies? " Instead they demand "How old is he? How much does he weigh? How much money does his father make? " Only from these figures do they think they have learned anything about him.”

― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince
I wouldn't say I have strange interest (maybe I do) that I research for hours and hours everyday, other than occasional bursts of interest in a concept and I research until I get to the core of the issue.

However, I observe at a level no one does. I think I am pretty nerdy about human behavior and emotions, but in the applied way. I won't read about amygdala for hours to understand them, but I observe and compare to myself how emotions are triggered, how they get resolved, and how people react to them. I am pretty intuitive about them, too I think--a lot of INFPs are. I notice the little gestures and change of eye contact and can tell a lot more about the person's character and inner emotions than others. I spot sadness and anxiety within interaction that no one catches, and I used to be very interested in knowing all of these little things no one saw.

I think you had a "super-computer" thread in the past. If I remember the thread correctly, it's kind of related to that. I spent my childhood developing an eye for this, because I was trying to make sense of humanity and their behavior. It was the most fascinating thing ever--being the silent observer, watching people act on stage.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wouldn't say I have strange interest (maybe I do) that I research for hours and hours everyday, other than occasional bursts of interest in a concept and I research until I get to the core of the issue.

However, I observe at a level no one does. I think I am pretty nerdy about human behavior and emotions, but in the applied way. I won't read about amygdala for hours to understand them, but I observe and compare to myself how emotions are triggered, how they get resolved, and how people react to them. I am pretty intuitive about them, too I think--a lot of INFPs are. I notice the little gestures and change of eye contact and can tell a lot more about the person's character and inner emotions than others. I spot sadness and anxiety within interaction that no one catches, and I used to be very interested in knowing all of these little things no one saw.

I think you had a "super-computer" thread in the past. If I remember the thread correctly, it's kind of related to that. I spent my childhood developing an eye for this, because I was trying to make sense of humanity and their behavior. It was the most fascinating thing ever--being the silent observer, watching people act on stage.
I did! It took a while...completely lost track of time.

The quote is very representative of my situation haha! It does make me feel like a child for the simple fact that I can't be bothered to care about what the census writes down for my acquaintances / friends / etc. It's just not interesting to me, and it doesn't give me a glimpse into how others interact with the world. I want to know what makes their experiences different from mine, damnit!

Okay, so it isn't just me. One of my newest pastimes is getting off work an hour earlier than planned, and while waiting for my ride, I just go where my friends congregate and watch them in motion. I just need to exist around them, and that's plenty of entertainment for me. Sometimes I'll spend all day with them on their shifts, monitoring how they interact with people, the things that come up in conversations with them, how they move and feel, etc. It's definitely related to the super-computer feeling for me.

I have a friend, and before this whole 'being present' experiment of mine, we'd be talking and he'd give me this pained stare out of nowhere. I've always broken it because I had the eerie sense it would go on forever. It wasn't something easily noticed, but because I've always paid a great amount of attention to details like that, I could immediately pick up on it. That actually stopped happening during this experiment, any stares were completely peaceful and non-angsty (due to me engaging with him more, I figured out!), and I've had fun sort of 'journaling' about this to myself. But yesterday out of nowhere, he wasn't making any eye contact at all, and then gave me that same pained look minutes later. As per my experiment, I didn't allow myself to look away, but it felt like he said way more in those seconds than he ever had. And, no one noticed this either, because we weren't even talking at the time it happened lol!

So that plays into it...building a library of people's habits to be able to read them. I've never had someone say they notice me doing anything specific to indicate anything, so I feel like I don't have many tells because I'm not very expressive (when the most is happening internally, I quite literally freeze), but others seem to be very transparent, and I pick up on those quirks well.

I feel like this is vaguely related to my original post now, but it's something. :)

Reactions: sippingcappucino

·
Registered
341 Posts
I guess they call this Ne, and it is the second main mental function for INFPs (chief unconscious, or perceptional, one).

Reactions: neutralchaotic

·
Premium Member
15,288 Posts
Yes.

I love the unusual info like fringe conspiracy. Paranormal, web sleuths (deaths and disappearances, missing persons), David Icke forum, GLP, MKULTA, programming cultural icons, celebrity replacements, underground bases, military conspiracies, abandoned home videos, was Shakespeare real, Georgia guidestones, illuminati (the powerful elite), blue blood lineage, freemasons, skull and bones, Stewart Swerdlow montauk info, aliens, chemtrails, fairies, ghosts, sprites, magic, new world order, denver airport art, the deep state, the Clintons possible hit list, weather control/seeding clouds, earthquake control, Goro Adachi, the inner earth opening at the pole, Admiral Byrd's diary of the inner earth, celebrity symbolism, stepford wives, false history, 911 disaster and inconsistencies, Fritz Springmeier. etc...etc... etc....

My critical thinking skills, *I think*, are low and I LOVE "the interesting". Not happy unless I'm exploring it all. I don't make judgments on the info, I just read it for a thrill. It's exciting. I absorb it all. It's novel and new. It's shocking. It's a rush. Better than reading some stupid romance novel.

Can't really say for individual humans, that I am interested in their secrets or novel info about them. For my friends.... I don't want to know their deep dark secrets. I get uncomfortable and embarrassed for them. It's too personal. I guess I like discovering info from a distance, like browsing wikipedia or reading a book. Not really a fan of "intimate" secrets, closeness or (?intimacy?) with friends.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes.

Can't really say for individual humans, that I am interested in their secrets or novel info about them. For my friends.... I don't want to know their deep dark secrets.
Your conspiracy list reminded me of the many nights I've spent up until 3 am reading about any and everything, haha!

Ooh, neither am I. It makes me feel self-induced pressure to reveal secrets...and my secrets are so secret that I can't remember most of them! I just like to notice things on the surface that they cannot see themselves. And poke a bit into them that way. Nothing too scathing though...I'd rather not be privy to serious revelations.

Reactions: Sily

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
I used to go as far as previous posts. Secret society, cults, underground fashion, cryptozoology and extinct creatures, creatures from folklore, folklore in general from places that pique my interest.
Nowadays if I do that, it's more practical. It just happens to be obscure.

For me a lot of it is normal because I have specific interests and I don't meet people like this in the workplace. I have to seek them.

Thus I do not really have this kind of questionnaire with people even if they seem unusual or open.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts