Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Banned
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sevens are located between 6 and 8 and have a connection to 1. Fairness and justice are extremely important to all three of those types, yet I've never really seen that discussed in conjunction with type 7.

I personally have this massive sense of rugged street justice, which many people have commented on. I guess that comes from the 8-wing and/or 8-fix. Also, in a conflict or verbal debate, I try to be painstakingly fair to both sides--an attribute of type 1. Wondering if any of you feel the same? Is justice (in any form) important to you, and how does that manifest?

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Yes it is! I can easily interfere with others' business if I notice injustice. I've defended my friends who got bullied, I've even defended strangers who got bullied - and I'm a tiny woman. Usually I just can't keep my mouth shut, I have no reason to, if I notice some kind of injustice. I defend anyone who needs it, others or myself. It's like "Damn it, I'm/we're not backing down."

I relate this more to my Eight fix though. When I have qualities of One, I'm having stress and criticizing everything and I wish to avoid that state.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Wings probably play a big part in this if their tritype has a 1 in there somewhere. I have a broadly defined 'justice' system that goes along the lines of 'this is what I believe in but no one else is wrong/right'. Sometimes I wonder if there's a point to it since everything ends up as 'I can't judge it but I can impose on others'. I think I decide whether I want to impose or not based on fairness and how the parties feel. So in the bullying example I'd be more likely to impose my 'justice' and help out the person being bullied because it's not fair (in my system) and the victim feels worse. I get scared I might inappropriately trample on someone else's viewpoint but usually it's easy stuff like bullying which most people view in the same way.

·
Banned
17,781 Posts
Sevens are located between 6 and 8 and have a connection to 1. Fairness and justice are extremely important to all three of those types, yet I've never really seen that discussed in conjunction with type 7.

I personally have this massive sense of rugged street justice, which many people have commented on. I guess that comes from the 8-wing and/or 8-fix. Also, in a conflict or verbal debate, I try to be painstakingly fair to both sides--an attribute of type 1. Wondering if any of you feel the same? Is justice (in any form) important to you, and how does that manifest?
based on this, I doubt you are ISTP. you sound like an Fi user to me, but yes, I do have a very strong sense of justice, and I can be very scary if that sense of justice is infringed upon.

·
Banned
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
based on this, I doubt you are ISTP. you sound like an Fi user to me, but yes, I do have a very strong sense of justice, and I can be very scary if that sense of justice is infringed upon.
Well, I've never--ever--been able to get anything other than ISTP on any test (including professional ones at work), and it describes me better than any of the other types (which is admittedly not all that well). I take the MBTI with a very large grain of salt for that reason.

·
Banned
17,781 Posts
Well, I've never--ever--been able to get anything other than ISTP on any test (including professional ones at work), and it describes me better than any of the other types (which is admittedly not all that well). I take the MBTI with a very large grain of salt for that reason.
fuck online tests. I score INTP or INTJ on most. based on your posts, you seem much more like an INFP/ENFP, or maybe an ISFP.

Reactions: zallla

·
Banned
2,198 Posts
Of course I have a sense of justice. I strive to be objective about everything and I'm not afraid of speaking up, damned be the consequences. I hate that the world is unfair and I hate that living things have to suffer because of human selfishness.

Reactions: RepairmanMan Man

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
@holyrockthrower, my sense of justice is related to defending the weak ones or those close to me but usually I don't try to defend both sides. I no longer believe I'm Fi-user, more likely Fe-user. @Swordsman of Mana, have you had any vibes about my cognitive functions? Do I seem like a Fi-user to you?

fuck online tests. I score INTP or INTJ on most. based on your posts, you seem much more like an INFP/ENFP, or maybe an ISFP.
@holyrockthrower, I don't really know your functions but it sounds interesting that you always get ISTP... I wish my situation had been as straightforward, I can get anything I want but have found it hard to recognize who I really am. I used to think I'm some kind of NT but switched to NF, I guess I had started to value feeling issues more, try to behave more 'nicely' after hearing I'm quite blunt and lost my self-worth when not being socially skilled. I've improved a lot but my SO still says to me every now and then that at times I sound a bit too self-confident, outspoken and acrimonious to him. Nowadays I think I'm ENTP, I started to recognize Ne some time ago and just recently realized Ti instead of Fi. Keep your mind open, I actually agree with @Swordsman of Mana that too many tests are crap.

·
Banned
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@holyrockthrower, I don't really know your functions but it sounds interesting that you always get ISTP... I wish my situation had been as straightforward, I can get anything I want but have found it hard to recognize who I really am. I used to think I'm some kind of NT but switched to NF, I guess I had started to value feeling issues more, try to behave more 'nicely' after hearing I'm quite blunt and lost my self-worth when not being socially skilled. I've improved a lot but my SO still says to me every now and then that at times I sound a bit too self-confident, outspoken and acrimonious to him. Nowadays I think I'm ENTP, I started to recognize Ne some time ago and just recently realized Ti instead of Fi. Keep your mind open, I actually agree with @Swordsman of Mana that too many tests are crap.
Oh, I certainly agree, many online tests are crap. But I'm including even the professionally administered ones at work--always ISTP. It would probably be more accurate to say I'm a XXXP--Perceiving is the only function I strongly identify with. I do have a similar experience to what you just described--and I can be acrimonious as crap and totally disregard the thoughts and feelings and opinions of others. I've certainly never cared about about interpersonal harmony...one of the reasons that, at bottom, I don't think I'm truly a Feeler.

I was raised in a Fi environment--my stepdad's an INFP, my mom is likely an ISFP, and my sister seems to be XNFP. Consequently, Fi has indeed become prominent in my personality. I actually made a conscious decision to be more of a "Feeler" several years ago, so no doubt readers can pick up on that. I sometimes wonder if I'm not an ENTP as well...I made a prior conscious decision to give up imagination and innovation in high school when a teacher publicly derided me for writing an imaginative story. I made a less-conscious decision as a smaller child to stop interacting with others because "people hated me".

Reading various MBTI profiles, I find that NONE really capture who I am. I would imagine that 784s being as contradictory as we are, we're not gonna be easy to type on any system.

·
Banned
2,198 Posts
I sometimes wonder if I'm not an ENTP as well...I made a prior conscious decision to give up imagination and innovation in high school when a teacher publicly derided me for writing an imaginative story. I made a less-conscious decision as a smaller child to stop interacting with others because "people hated me".
I can see you as an ENxP, in fact. I picked Fi from your writing, it's kind of obvious, but as you said, it might be an effect of your environment.

Reading various MBTI profiles, I find that NONE really capture who I am. I would imagine that 784s being as contradictory as we are, we're not gonna be easy to type on any system.
Yeah. I settled with ENTP, which describes me only to an extent; I don't feel extraverted at all. In fact, I could see myself in many types. I thought I might be a xNFP of sorts, but when I answered the questionnaire, it was glaringly obvious that I'm a Ti user. Since both my Ne and Ti are almost equally strong (with Si and Fe being visibly weaker), it was a matter of deciding whether I'm an ENTP or INTP. I can relate to both. People here on PerC said that I seem to be more of Ne-dom than Ti-dom, but I'm still not fully convinced ;)

Reactions: RepairmanMan Man

·
Banned
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I can see you as an ENxP, in fact. I picked Fi from your writing, it's kind of obvious, but as you said, it might be an effect of your environment.
After @Swordsman of Mana said that, I looked up the Fi function and what it "does". It's pretty much the overarching wisdom I received from my folks as a child and teenager; I had to appeal to that mindset to get myself off the hook multiple times when I was younger. I could accept it as one of my functions, I just don't see that much of myself in most --FP descriptions. But then again, I don't see myself in most descriptions.

Edit: Ha ha ha! I've been doing some reading about it, and I found this:

Fi, on the other hand, does what is right for ‘me’, is terribly stubborn, and often misunderstood, because it is individual, unique, totally internal, and therefore difficult to explain. It is not any less caring than Fe, but it is more independent. Fi is likely to be the eccentric, to stand out from the crowd, because it sets its own boundaries and does not do things ‘just because everyone else does’. It is unique and unconventional, and paints things in its own colour. It decides for itself what is right, based on its own inbuilt conscience which is rarely moved by ‘the mobs’.
I don't know how true that is of Fi, but that's exactly what my mother basically forced me to be as a child. I was not allowed to go along with the crowd. If nothing else, she really put me in touch with that. I still test out as Thinking being my dominant function, even when trying to emphasize the Feeling function, though.

·
Banned
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Said of Steve Jobs, also a 784:

He is really difficult to type. I've heard compelling arguments for ENTP, ENTJ, INTP, ISTP, and ENFP. Among the myriad traits that set him apart was extremely high abilities for tactical and strategic thought.

Isaacson's bio paints him as an "I". Let us not forget that Jobs was so private and guarded that he actually leased cars in succession so that he wouldn't have to put license plates on 'em.
That's just the way it is with us.

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
It can get excessive but that's mostly when stressed and going in the direction of disintegration. I'm much happier without too much focus on such things but I do have a limit that can be crossed now and then. Add the wings and either way it seems it could go badly, since 6 seem be more than capable of being combative and 8s seem to be reputed as rather tank-like.

·
Banned
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
he was an accomplishment driven workaholic, there is nothing 4 about him at all
He certainly was that, but he also considered himself an artist of sorts, and once said that if he hadn't been an entrepreneur, he'd have been a poet in Paris. He was intensely emotional, cried at the drop of a hat, and was even known to use tears as a last resort to make people obey. He cared little for outward trappings of success, instead focusing on his product. Aesthetic design was of the highest value to him.

Those are some reasons I'd rule him as having a 4-fix (albeit, likely with a heavy 3-wing). Don't forget, 7s and especially 8s can be intensely driven/workaholic, too, and 4s can be pretty damn passionate about their art and inner vision.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
He certainly was that, but he also considered himself an artist of sorts, and once said that if he hadn't been an entrepreneur, he'd have been a poet in Paris. He was intensely emotional, cried at the drop of a hat, and was even known to use tears as a last resort to make people obey. He cared little for outward trappings of success, instead focusing on his product. Aesthetic design was of the highest value to him.

Those are some reasons I'd rule him as having a 4-fix (albeit, likely with a heavy 3-wing). Don't forget, 7s and especially 8s can be intensely driven/workaholic, too, and 4s can be pretty damn passionate about their art and inner vision.
I actually disagree, if those are your reasons... Any type can be artistic or value aesthetic design highly. That applies to me and at the moment I'm considering of not even having a Four in my tritype.

The way you describe his behavior makes me think of Two as a heart fix. Twos can be intensely emotional too, that is not any priviledge of Fours who are more aware of their own feelings though. Two is extroverted feeling kind of type, Four is more introverted feeling. Twos, especially with a Three wing, can be highly manipulative and clingy when they want to make others to obey them.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts